Need a better scan of the new Motoko. Looks more cartoonish from the small picture. The change of primary people is strange. But I think the three SAC and the two movies are pretty much perfect anyway.

Hell yeah! Just read the news on CR's twitter feed. Now let's just hope that as many of the series cast as possible have roles in this one as well. The Major HAS to be voiced by Atsuko Tanaka and Akio Ohtsuka has to be Batou.

all I care about is a good story and the tachicomas.

If they're carrying off from where the SAC continuity left off, it would probably be uchikomas. The tachikomas' AI were destroyed in SAC 2nd Gig, and were replaced by the larger and less personable green uchikomas.

As for the new Motoko, her design has neither the personality of Oshii's movie version, or the sexiness of the SAC version. In fact, I think she looks a little too young. I know cyborgs only look as young or old as their bodies are made to look, but the younger look might clash with Atsuko Tanaka's more mature voice...if they're hiring her for the job (they'd better).

Judging from the title, I wonder it this is sort of an origin story before Motoko joined Sector 9.

If they're carrying off from where the SAC continuity left off, it would probably be uchikomas. The tachikomas' AI were destroyed in SAC 2nd Gig, and were replaced by the larger and less personable green uchikomas.

But, in Solid State Society, the Major had reconstructed the Tachikoma's personalities, from traces of them that had been left all over the net.

Judging from the title, I wonder it this is sort of an origin story before Motoko joined Sector 9.

Excellent point! We could well be looking at an origin story with Motokos activities up until being recruited into section 9. While that would be the exact opposite of what I wanted (a 3rd season of SAC set post-SSS with a more mature Togusa increasingly taking on a leadership role) it could still be very interesting - thing of the sniper battle where she first met Saito for example. It would also mean they could do a greater variety of low level enemies and would account for what I felt was one of the largest hurdles that IG faced after SSS- namely that Motoko was just so damn powerful that it would be increasingly difficult to come up with plausible enemies for her.

There's an event for the show in Feb. Might see if I can ninja my way in ;-)

i'm kinda thinking origin story as well, though like some of you, would've preferred a 3rd gig.

if the currently airing Psycho-Pass (also I.G.) is any indication, we are in for a treat, at least animation-wise.

Psycho-Pass has luscious visuals and art direction, but is more psych-thriller than action, because it is primarily a detective story rather than covert ops.

nonetheless, it has been more than capably tiding me over until this GitS announcement.

But, in Solid State Society, the Major had reconstructed the Tachikoma's personalities, from traces of them that had been left all over the net.

Which totally destroyed the "and this is where you came in" moment that leads right into the manga series!

Cool news. Not loving the new design, but then I really didn't like SAC's character design...way too far from the books or Oshii's films for my liking. Still exciting news.

Yesss!

This is a good year for Cyberpunk (Psycho-Pass is great too)

I am totally pumped about all the news/teasers about CDProject's Cyberpunk that came out in the last few days!

i'm kinda thinking origin story as well, though like some of you, would've preferred a 3rd gig.

if the currently airing Psycho-Pass (also I.G.) is any indication, we are in for a treat, at least animation-wise.

Psycho-Pass has luscious visuals and art direction, but is more psych-thriller than action, because it is primarily a detective story rather than covert ops.

nonetheless, it has been more than capably tiding me over until this GitS announcement.

My thoughts exactly.

Cool news. Not loving the new design, but then I really didn't like SAC's character design...way too far from the books or Oshii's films for my liking. Still exciting news.

I am totally pumped about all the news/teasers about CDProject's Cyberpunk that came out in the last few days!

I thought that the SAC Motoko design and overall feel was closer to the manga. I can't remember who, but one of the creative people once said that the movies were too Blade Runner I believe.

Since no one posted it yet here is the full new Motoko design. I think it might be ok if this is the origin of Motoko and depending on the world design.

post-15104-0-42683900-1358371087_thumb.jpg

And yeah, that Cyberpunk 2077 trailer is bad ass. It should be awesome going by reviews on their last game.

Yeah, you know, I've gone back and compared the new Motoko design side by side with some pics from SAC and if, I suspect, this is a prequel (as the tagline also suggests) then it isnt a bad interpretation of the character. Younger, angrier, less self-confident.

My main problems are the colouring - the hair is too blue, although I dont mind too much, but why on earth are her eyes blue now instead of red?!?!? Hmmm... I suppose that, if the secretary in Total Recall can change nail colours with just a tap of a digital pen, then cyborgs in GitS should be able to change eye or hair colour at will......

Speaking of Ghost in the Shell. Has anyone seen the 3D version of Solid State Society? How is it? I doesn't look like it's going to be released in the States.

Honestly it was better in 2D. The 3D looked good in two types of scenes - anything with ghost diving and anything with a CG vehicle in it. In other words, CG objects and special effects. But when added to 2D scenes it just looked like the image was slightly blurred or that there were two 2D images overlapping. This made it really difficult to know where to focus ones vision (imo, at least).

At the time I figured that it was made basically as a way to gauge interest in a new installment in the franchise and possibly raise a bit of production money for it in the process.

Speaking of which, Save and I managed to get tickets to the talkshow/reveal event for Arise on Feb 12! Before the talkshow you can pick one of 3 movies to watch - GitS 2.0, SSS 3D or the Laughing Man compilation movie. Decided to go with the Laughing Man since I'd seen the other two on the big screen before and, length-wise, Laughing Man gets you way more back for your movie-ticket-buying-buck!

Excellent point! We could well be looking at an origin story with Motokos activities up until being recruited into section 9. While that would be the exact opposite of what I wanted (a 3rd season of SAC set post-SSS with a more mature Togusa increasingly taking on a leadership role) it could still be very interesting - thing of the sniper battle where she first met Saito for example. It would also mean they could do a greater variety of low level enemies and would account for what I felt was one of the largest hurdles that IG faced after SSS- namely that Motoko was just so damn powerful that it would be increasingly difficult to come up with plausible enemies for her.

Agreed on all points. It'd be refreshing to see a less experienced Motoko fighting new enemies.

That said, it would also mean that we might not be seeing any appearances from Aramaki or Togusa and the rest of the team, except perhaps in a random cameo of sorts. I'm not sure how her new (old?) team mates in her army days might turn out to be.

Can't wait for this. I still to this day have hopes for an open world Deus Ex-like GITS game. Maybe this new series will help that dream get one step closer to reality. I'll take anything though, the previous PSX & PS2 games were loads of fun, despite their shortcomings.

Either way I'm stoked. Seeing Kusanagi wearing proper clothes again is refreshing. That getup from Stand Alone Complex wasn't very fitting for her tough-chick character in my opinion.

Edited by LOW_ALT