New Star Trek Movie In 2009..

bandit29

Hey, I didn't know you made it to MW-Con this year!!!

:lol:

Are trekkies that old? I figured there would be more (or at least as many) of the 20-30 somethings who liked TNG or DS9 or voyager and maybe a smallish enterprise clique? None of them I would imagine care as much? Except for making their stuff look primitive.

Ok seriosuly, do you enjoy talking out of your rectum? Any starship would be constructed in space not on planet, no matter the stresses involved. Look at even modern day fighter manufacturing, the certain components of the eurofighter can only be built at certain times of the month when the moons gravitation pull is just right, otherwise they won't meet spec. A starship that travels throughout the galaxy would have even tighter tolerances, and there is no way that you could meet those tolerances on a planet as gravitationally inconsistent as the Earth. The only place such things could be accomplished is in space. And that is only one of many, many, many examples.

Wow. That was a little much. Try to be more polite.

Is that really true about the Euro-fighter? Those are SOME precision components. I was more talking about the hull of the ship rather than "components". Unless you mean the main body of the ship.

The Eurofighter really is THAT picky. But that's not that new---back in the 60's, the 727 had such close fitting parts that when the main 4 fittings for the wing-to-body join was done for each plane, they had to stop all other work/people/machines in the factory, adjust the temperature of the air, tools, and parts all to within .1 degrees, and the guy installing them needed to wear rubber soles to absorb vibrations...

(side-comment----the automotive industry has no idea how close "close-tolerance" really is)

The Eurofighter really is THAT picky. But that's not that new---back in the 60's, the 727 had such close fitting parts that when the main 4 fittings for the wing-to-body join was done for each plane, they had to stop all other work/people/machines in the factory, adjust the temperature of the air, tools, and parts all to within .1 degrees, and the guy installing them needed to wear rubber soles to absorb vibrations...

(side-comment----the automotive industry has no idea how close "close-tolerance" really is)

Had no idea that things had to be so exacting.

Assuming that in the 23rd century they have the means to get something that huge off the ground (thus making either space or ground construction an option) would building something like the hull of a spaceship be better suited to space or Earth?

Had no idea that things had to be so exacting.

Assuming that in the 23rd century they have the means to get something that huge off the ground (thus making either space or ground construction an option) would building something like the hull of a spaceship be better suited to space or Earth?

it's always easier to build something with hands than in giant space gloves.

Ok seriosuly, do you enjoy talking out of your rectum? Any starship would be constructed in space not on planet, no matter the stresses involved. Look at even modern day fighter manufacturing, the certain components of the eurofighter can only be built at certain times of the month when the moons gravitation pull is just right, otherwise they won't meet spec. A starship that travels throughout the galaxy would have even tighter tolerances, and there is no way that you could meet those tolerances on a planet as gravitationally inconsistent as the Earth. The only place such things could be accomplished is in space. And that is only one of many, many, many examples.

I think you need to chill a little bit dude. Stating fact about how an imaginary ship might be constructed while managing to be come off as rude is pretty impressive, but still.

Anyways, on to my thoughts.

I still don't think where they built the ship, or how the bridge looks, or if Ohura's hair isn't right can be defined as "raping" of childhood memories. The movie is either Trek, or it isn't, and you wont really know until you see it. Also, as I've said before, much of what makes Trek well...Trek is ideas and philosophies, not the font Enterprise is scrawled in across the saucer.

Not yet AFAIK, Trekkies civil war will be started on the web, and spread on to conventions....I think I better book the Trekkies convention next year, just for watching the fist fight :rolleyes:

Shame. Sometimes reading those sites can be incredibly entertaining :)

A duel at a convention? Hehehe, I'm reminded of Kirk vs. Trelane :)

Speaking of talking out of one's rectum, has there been any hate websites pop up over this new film?

I mean Trekkies used to be the benchmark for obsessive, nitpicking fandom.

I thought that they still were the benchmark. Who has taken their place?

Is there any websites like pineisnotkirk.com or jtreksucks.com or anything like that?

There has to be some ridiculously critical website about the new Star Trek film, harshly criticizing J.J. Abrams and Co for some minor transgression that no one cares about. I'm in the mood for a good laugh :)

If there are no such websites yet, I would be astounded. Maybe its because a lot of the real old fashioned die hard trek fans are too old to understand the internets or can't get out of their bed in the nursing home.

Taksraven

Good question. I'm not sure. :)

Trek has been dead for years and the remains of the fan base is now much older. So I would think they aren't the nitpicking, loudmouthed freaks they used to be.

If I had to guess, I suppose Bond fandom would likely be up there as one of the top freak fandoms. One of the most embarrassing websites any fandom has every produced, danielcraigisnotbond.com, is still running after all. Evangelion fandom was once so embarrassing it was an insult to humanity, but I guess they all got old and crotchety too :)

How about Macross fandom? ;)

I thought that they still were the benchmark. Who has taken their place?

If there are no such websites yet, I would be astounded. Maybe its because a lot of the real old fashioned die hard trek fans are too old to understand the internets or can't get out of their bed in the nursing home.

Taksraven

Well, in the local websites here the desscusion is how someone can be consider a geek or a pseudo tech fan if didn't know Star Trek.

Every fandom nitpicks and argues loudly. But it appears some just get more press than others. Perhaps that's a point in favour of Macross fandom. MW get's badmouthed, but that's about it. Besides, I'd rather build the Macross Mecha Manual than altoisnotminmay.com :)

I dont understand why people can actively dislike each other over different opinions.

Partially ignorance, partially human nature, but a lot of people who are 'true' friends still have differences over a lot of issues but choose to see past them. I think that there are people here with relationships like that.

Taksraven

Mostly it's the internet. There are no social/interpersonal consequences when interacting online. You can say the most hateful, insulting things to other people and act in a way you never would in real life without any of the consequences. Even something as simple as a difference of opinion over an animated television show can be blown up into the online equivalent of a UFC match :)

Mostly it's the internet. There are no social/interpersonal consequences when interacting online. You can say the most hateful, insulting things to other people and act in a way you never would in real life without any of the consequences.

There have been a few noted instances where online disputes have broken out into real world violence or abuse, but generally you are right on that one.

If anybody wants a really funny read they should look at my Youtube account that is linked in my sig and check out the My Chemical Romance parody video I posted and the abuse I have received for posting it.

Even something as simple as a difference of opinion over an animated television show can be blown up into the online equivalent of a UFC match :)

True.

Taksraven

Speaking of talking out of one's rectum, has there been any hate websites pop up over this new film?

I mean Trekkies used to be the benchmark for obsessive, nitpicking fandom. Is there any websites like pineisnotkirk.com or jtreksucks.com or anything like that?

There has to be some ridiculously critical website about the new Star Trek film, harshly criticizing J.J. Abrams and Co for some minor transgression that no one cares about. I'm in the mood for a good laugh :)

this is pretty old, but is it good enough for you? http://shatneriskirk.ytmnd.com/