what attracted you to macross?

Shinguuji

what made you attracted to macross in the first place?

i've just watched the show abt a mth ago, and the graphics were quite hard to swallow...but it was still great, heck, i even bought the 1/48 yamato VF-1S....only anime that i'll ever invest anything into, other than sakura wars...heck, these were the only two anime that i like...out of watching 40+ animes....(actually, not really fair to say that, cos i only watched segments of many animes, liked galaxy angels though, but dislike love hina, which is grossly overrated IMO)

so, what made you 'fall in love' with macross?

for me, it was the relationships, the love triangle to be specific, i think it was well done, unique yet belivable and realistic, i like misa too...of course, it could be that i was still floating in the air after my recent breakup....but, i still think that it's great...

only after watching DYRL? that i did begin to appreciate the mecha....and subsequently went to buy the 1/48....

strangely, all isee in this forum is questions abt the mecha and very little abt the characters....they shld split the forum imo...into TV tech. specs. and story....

ah, and only after did i watch DYRL? that i begin to appreciate minmay, especially when she sung 'ai wa oboete imasuka', only in DYRL did i sympathise with her... she seems a little 'insane' in the TV series....

roy focker and claudia seems to have a very strange relationship though, not married, continuing in their carrers, yet, they seem like a loving, long married couple, claudia even had a 'widow' feel to her after roy died, esp. in the episode where misa brought the 'rare tea' around...

Edited by Shinguuji

Like Druna Skass, I first saw Macross through Robotech (although I wasn't quite a little kid at the time - I was 14 in 1984). Even in its Robotech form, Macross was a serious leap up from the "commercials-masquerading-as-cartoons" that filled the adventure cartoon market at the time. A real story, characters with some depth, actual "war-is-bad" death (as opposed to the "10,000 laser blasts and no injuries / a parachute for every downed plane" war of the "G.I. Joe" cartoon). That hooked me on Robotech until Manga released "Macross Plus" in the early 90's. From that point on, I was hooked on Macross.

I imagine a lot of Macross fans got their start watching Robotech. If wasn't for Harmony Gold's business practices, I think a lot more people would have kinder memories of Robotech as their introduction to the wider world of anime.

The Major in episode 1 - 3 of Super Space Fortress Macross. The show ended after only 3 episodes only to be replaced by Robotech.

He was like me but older.

Model kits of course :)

Nichimo 1/200 and Imai 1/144 at first

and then it ALL went downhill when I found a store in San Diego that had tons of the kits(this was in 83-84). Saved up my lunch money everyday, would play hooky from Friday afternoon classes and jump on the bus to get to the store and drool over what I could not afford. I remember seeing the Imai Focker 1/72 variable kit and almost passing out because the art work was so cool!!

Anyone remember 'Military Emporium' in El Cajon, CA? haha

S

What made me watch macross. First there was the fact they were all in planes which was cool, then it transformed which was even cooler as a little kid. Then there was SDF-1 with is main cannon.

What really made the show appealling to me was a little gerwalk model I had where all the pieces could move, which was cooler than any other toy I had back then. Plus the scenes where the valks go and dodge the huge missle spreads.

The characters and the mecha.

I was a robot/mecha maniac since young and I loved fighter jets. The rest is history. I actually watched Robotech and Macross at the same time. (Macross was shown DUBBED to my country's native language) Macross was shown during the Saturday morning slot right before Robotech on another channel.

i fell in love with Macross '82 for two reasons: it had a plot which actually affected the viewer with good music use and when i saw hikaru's vf-1j and that bad ass visor, i can't explain the awe i felt.

i like Macross 7 because of its mecha and its use of colorful characters; it shows us that an anime universe is a wide one with people that some like and some that people dont; this is unlike gundam in which every series has some masked wierdo dropping some asteroid on someone while fighting a rebellious teen developing into a man, or into a lame -ass teen aka cliche killing machine.

i guess i like Macross because of its "realism" if you can follow; its emotions and drama are more poignant than other animes; i feel it doesn't get as much respect as it deserves because its mecha isn't the main star of the show, although they do contribute

Like pretty much everyone else, I landed through robotech. Can't tell where I got into it, maybe from a friend or a 'follow this' kind of thing from a message board somewhere. Either way I started with the books, then discovered Macross was better.

What keeps me in Macross? The VFs, Destroids, Zentreadi, Misa (Of course B) ) and the SDF-1 (Which has no equal anywhere in the universe of anime). The only problem is now I need more Macross available stateside to obsess over XD

Just like Shawn, it was originally the model kits that drew me into Macross (even though I'm not really a model builder).

Back in 1982 or 1983, I was living in UK and the Imai and Arii Macross models were being imported into UK and fairly widely available in most model shops (at least in the area I lived). As soon as I saw the box art, I was blown away by the designs and had to start buying as many of these kits as possible (not easy when my pocket money was something like 50p a week).

From the time I'd spent in HK during 1976 to 1979, I realised that these models must be from a Japanese cartoon (I hadn't even heard of the term 'anime' back then) and I so loved the designs, that as corny as it sounds, I promised myself that one day I would find a way to watch the cartoon that these lovely model kits were from.

Fast forward to 1986, I'm back in Hong Kong and manage to catch an episode on Macross on TV, which starts to renew my interest in the show. However, it was not until 1987 when I saw DYRL on Laser Disc that I really got into Macross and began my obsession with the show and especially the toys.

It's now 2004 and Macross is one of the main loves of my life. Macross and it's sequels are my all time favorite animes and I've spent an insane amount of money over the past 17 years, tracking down and buying Macross toys, CDs, books, games and other miscellaneous Macross junk :D

Although I love all aspects of Macross, it's probably the mechanical designs and mecha combat that attract me the most.

Graham

I saw it as Robotech as a little kid. My cousin got me hooked on it and made me copies of his tape recordings.

I loved the series when I got older, I found out about Macross.

It was funny when i first started realizing it. I was at Suncoast videos and looking in their anime section.

I saw Robotech the Movie: Clash of the Bionoids, but then another tape called Macross the Movie with a picture of the SDF-1 on the top! I was so confused!

I didn't realize it until I saw the movie Macross Plus (at random).

Later I saw the entire original Macross TV series and loved it! Mainly because they had all the cut out stuff that Robotech didn't, like the dates with Minmay. In Robotech, I couldn't understand why he was torn between Minmay and Lisa because Minmay was a total, self-centered bitch, but when I saw Macross TV with all the times they shared, I could see why he liked them both.

Ever since, Macross has been my Favorite anime.

What attracted me first to MACROSS were the toys, but it was the story and the characters that drew me in! Could not afford to get me one of those BANDAI VALKS back in '84 but it's ok coz now I'm enjoyin' every single one of my YAMATO VALKS!! He-he, I guess good things come to those who wait! :D

for me it has to have been the SDF-1 back in 1985 when i first saw it as robotech. then a few years later ran into Macross 2 and started to figure out that robotech and macross where different. Macross 2 was ok not great, but what really made me fall in love with macross has to have Been Macross Plus. the best storyline ever and I hate to say the best soundtrack/ Music ever in any anime. frakk they should have made Macross Plus 2.

I was originally drawn to the Robotech series when I was like 10 or 12. What had drawn me to the series at first was the "transforming" Valks, and the giant transforming "battle fortress". What made me love it was the story... at the time is unlike any "cartoon" I had seen back in the day. I loved GI-Joe and Transformers (another Americanized Anime) from the early 80s, but they had no "flow"! One episode was rarely tied to the next, let alone the 12th episode having anything to do with the 2nd.... etc. I dare say that RT/Macross almost flows like some kind of an animated "soap-opera" :ph34r:

What has kept me into the whole RT/Macross thing is mostly the story, the "love story", the action... oh ya and the toys/models

Watching Robotech and liking it at the time, for the love triangle and of course the VF-1. Then I saw DYRL, and the some of the original Macross series and it was all downhill from there. The songs, music, and stories are what keep me.

I was looking for some good aerospace combat/ dogfighting anime, and someone recommended Macross Plus. That got me started.

I enjoyed M+ so much that I started to look into other things Macross, and wound ordering the SDF Macross series from animeigo, which hooked me on the storyline and characters.

Now I'm looking at buying my first Hase 1/72 kit. The addiction is deepening...

I was looking for some good aerospace combat/ dogfighting anime, and someone recommended Macross Plus. That got me started.

What a coincidence! Me too! So far I have 2 M+ Valks. Hopefully, I get to collect more.

RT & M+ got me sort of started, but what really hooked me on Macross was, well, this site. I just considered the Macross fans to be very sophisticated, not juvenile like some other passions I follow, and that helped. You guys were also instrumental in my getting rid of my RT DVDs, and buying the Animeigo Macross mini-boxed sets. Thank you MW!!! B))

I was a very picky and hard to please kid when it came to tv shows. I hated almost everything on tv. I would still watch tv, because that is what kids did in the 80's, whether or not they actually enjoyed it. I did have a fondness for giant robots back then, so Transformers and Robotech were my two favourite shows. Robotech, however, had much better story and character developement, which it had in spades over any other 80's cartoon series.

Of course now I'm older and Robotech did not age as well as I would have liked. However, I did find out about the differences between the Japanese and American versions of the show back when Macross II came out, and fell in love with the show all over again when years later I sat down to watch AnimEigo's SDF Macross DVD box set.

I've grown into someone that really appreciates character developement, political intrigue, and I also still have a fondness for giant robots, especially well thought out giant robots that aren't cheesy and cartoony.

I've always loved good mechanical design and of all the giant anime series out there, I have to say macross has that in spades.

True I probably would not love macross as much as I do without the accompanying merchandise, but still I have fond memories of watching this odd 80's toon. Also robotech/battletech/macross is singularly responsible for raising my awareness of anime.