DX Chogokin VT-1 Super Ostrich

MKT

On 5/14/2024 at 5:12 PM, davidwhangchoi said:

Only 2. I'm in the Bay Area but all my Macross collection is still in East Coast. I have very minimum space so I can't buy as much.

I ordered from Nippon Yassan 2.0.  Yoyakunow  

I want to get the Ostrich but I'm not sure where's the best place to buy them now. I've been mostly buying through eBay lately. I haven't bought from an overseas online retailer since pre pandemic, and that was usually through Nippon Yassan, I didn't even know about the fraud that took place with NY till recently. Is Yokakunow popular to use now? I was checking out Luna Park but I don't get why they have a regular store and a "premium" store. 

On 5/15/2024 at 5:44 PM, dapro said:

Great! I don't know anyone here that really collects Marcoss. Which part of the Bay you reside in?

up north in SF, yeah no Macross at the anime stores i visited in Japan town. 

On 5/15/2024 at 11:34 PM, Sanity is Optional said:

Lots of us around here, maybe we should do a norcal Macross Convention one of these days?

that would be nice

On 5/16/2024 at 12:09 AM, rsvictor1976 said:

I want to get the Ostrich but I'm not sure where's the best place to buy them now. I've been mostly buying through eBay lately. I haven't bought from an overseas online retailer since pre pandemic, and that was usually through Nippon Yassan, I didn't even know about the fraud that took place with NY till recently. Is Yokakunow popular to use now? I was checking out Luna Park but I don't get why they have a regular store and a "premium" store. 

Yokakunow, is relatively new so i can't say one way or another. I'll be finding out once they ship out the VT-1. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jenius said:

HMR is like 1:90 scale. The Yammy V2 was 1:60... haven't looked at mine in forever to see if there are color variations. 

Thanks @jenius, for pointing out that the scale is not 1:60, not sure why I was under the impression that the High-Metal R line was 1:60!? But it's also probably why I don't have any... But did find this official information on scale.

image.jpeg.abca1da9efc92042501048797bf614b5.jpeg

So thanks for pointing that out!

As for the colour inconstancies on the HM-R ostrich I found this posted from @Vi-RS, back in 2018

So not sure how widely spread this was...

image.jpeg.6ae624778ce8da841db7624f43d856a2.jpeg image.jpeg.399ef59d895b0e9afa985692367a7bbd.jpeg

Edited by grogall

37 minutes ago, grogall said:

As for the colour inconstancies on the HM-R ostrich I found this posted from @Vi-RS, back in 2018

image.jpeg.6ae624778ce8da841db7624f43d856a2.jpeg image.jpeg.399ef59d895b0e9afa985692367a7bbd.jpeg

As I'm typing this, I'm looking at my HMR VT-1 and actually forgot about this issue until now. The color difference is there, but as with most color differences it is usually only noticeable (or noticeable to the point of being bothersome) under bright or fluorescent white lighting. I intentionally use warm white on my displays to mask these issues, and also the little yellowings on some of the pieces. :p

15 hours ago, grogall said:

Thanks @jenius, for pointing out that the scale is not 1:60, not sure why I was under the impression that the High-Metal R line was 1:60!? But it's also probably why I don't have any... But did find this official information on scale.

image.jpeg.abca1da9efc92042501048797bf614b5.jpeg

So thanks for pointing that out!

I would assume the difference is due to the fact that one is using the actual color of the plastic versus one that is just painted on top of a different plastic color giving that obvious color shade differences. I have a feeling it's going to be the same with the DX, like the chest area and wings, but hopefully not as obvious as the HMR's above.

I had two HMR VT-1's, got them on PO and both had different shades of orange which visually really bugged me and in turn I sold both of them.

The plus side is that I found a pristine Yamato V.2 VT-1 for $65.00 shipped on Ebay last year & I'm happy as can be. (Didn't come with the box but that's ok.)

As I'm not a fan of the whole TWE concept, I'll hold out for someone who bought one to many & willing to sell a spare. 

Edited by 505thAirborne

2 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I had two HMR VT-1's, got them on PO and both had different shades of orange which visually really bugged me and in turn I sold both of them.

The plus side is that I found a pristine Yamato V.2 VT-1 for $65.00 shipped on Ebay last year & I'm happy as can be. (Didn't come with the box but that's ok.)

As I'm not a fan of the whole TWE concept, I'll hold out for someone who bought one to many & willing to sell a spare. 

That's a really great deal for a loose VT-1. :good:

I don't have a Yammie VT-1, so now I'm curious what Yamato did to handle the orange. Did they manage to match the painted & molded plastic nicely, or was all the orange painted?

4 minutes ago, MKT said:

That's a really great deal for a loose VT-1. :good:

I don't have a Yammie VT-1, so now I'm curious what Yamato did to handle the orange. Did they manage to match the painted & molded plastic nicely, or was all the orange painted?

That VT-1 is hands down the luckiest find I've ever come across so far. B))

The legs, boosters, leg armor, backpack & chest are all the same shade of orange on mine. The Armor is all molded in orange while the rest of the Valkyrie appears to be painted orange over the ivory/cream colored plastic. 

Even if you're getting the Bandai DX version, which looks stunning I'd still recommend tracking down the Yamato V.2 as well. 

12 minutes ago, MKT said:

I used to have Yamato's VF-1D and VT-1 before. I remember all the oranges are somehow in same tone. My safe guess is it's why they probably used deep orange than lighter orange like the HMR's. That way it's consistent whether it's painted on the beige plastic parts or against the same orange plastic.

3 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Even if you're getting the Bandai DX version, which looks stunning I'd still recommend tracking down the Yamato V.2 as well. 

Aaawww. Don't do that. I already sold mine years ago. Don't want to hunt them down again. Even for its rainbow canopies. :rolleyes:

Yes rainbow canopy & white landing gears haha. :good:

I do intend to get the Yammie VT-1. Usually when a DX is announced, the corresponding Yammie will drop in price. But somehow, this hasn't started happening yet for the Yammie - perhaps gotta wait till when the DX is actually released. 

Since the VF-1D also has moulded as well as painted over areas, like the chest and leading edge wings and these don't seem to suffer from any huge colour differences. I'm kind of hopeful that Bandai will have solved this issue!? but sadly we still have a couple of months to wait for the bird, before we fry Bandai for the mistakes...😂

DXChogokinVT-1SuperOstrichTwin.png.95f1308df455424aa9ba1d69a7617360.png

1 hour ago, grogall said:

Since the VF-1D also has moulded as well as painted over areas, like the chest and leading edge wings and these don't seem to suffer from any huge colour differences. I'm kind of hopeful that Bandai will have solved this issue!? but sadly we still have a couple of months to wait for the bird, before we fry Bandai for the mistakes...😂

It's a nice dream, but I don't think Bandai has ever been quite as good at color matching as Yamato.  The DX VF-1D wasn't nearly as bad as the HMR though, so I'm not too worried about the oranges not matching.

I think the Yamato VT-1 was better than their VF-1D though, since the orange plastic used on the VF-1D was slightly transparent for some reason.

Edited by Chronocidal