HMR Macross Zero VF-0S Phoenix

jvmacross

Most of the bad reviews refer to cheap plastic, and kinda I don't blame them, putting aside the great designs still when you grab them you instantly feel how light the valk feels , this line have always raised an eyebrow for me referring to the high metal R description, where exactly is the high metal Bandai?, unlike the Metal Robot line from Bandai mostly for Gundams , still the figures is small but you can definitely feel the heft due to its metal structure content of the figure, nonetheless I like the Hi Metal R line due to its: one is Macross :D, second it has a great detail design, and has lots of goodies inside most releases, so pretty much I know what I'm getting into when grabbing a Hi Metal R Valk so is cool, I know Bandai could do better with this line I mean just look at the insane 1/48 DX Chogokin VF valks, those are stunning :D.   Great price by the way for the VF 0S, would grab one but I just payed Ami for the Hi Metal R VF-0D a few moments ago alongside a not so nice DHL shipping handling fee. 

1 hour ago, sjoebarry said:

Is there something really wrong with it that I’m missing from prior posts?

I think people are disappointed in how cheap it feels, and maybe what feels like a lack of detail?  I don't honestly feel like there's anything wrong with it, but I think part of the issue is that it's got even less metal than the HMR VF-1, so it's very light.

I don't know what people really expected, considering it's a shrunken Arcadia VF-0 model.

7 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I think people are disappointed in how cheap it feels, and maybe what feels like a lack of detail?  I don't honestly feel like there's anything wrong with it, but I think part of the issue is that it's got even less metal than the HMR VF-1, so it's very light.

I don't know what people really expected, considering it's a shrunken Arcadia VF-0 model.

Aha. Yeah I’ve steered away from the HMR line (with one exception) though I’ve been tempted a lot to dive into them. I’m all 1/60 except for the DX VF-1J because that’s my favorite VF version. 

5 hours ago, sjoebarry said:

Aha. Yeah I’ve steered away from the HMR line (with one exception) though I’ve been tempted a lot to dive into them. I’m all 1/60 except for the DX VF-1J because that’s my favorite VF version. 

@sjoebarry - Which is really a crying shame honestly.  The destroids and bad guy mechs are clear standouts in the line, the Elint Seeker and Ostrich were amazing along with the Macross II jet.  The Valks themselves are just icing on the cake. I was hesitant at 1st, but SO glad I went like 90% in on HM-R. 

Ya know...I just saw I had an AmEx 30% off code off $100 (max $30) and $10 courtesy credit too, so seeing as it came to $68 and change including tax...yeah, I folded.

What with @jenius's review I kinda felt that was at a worthy price despite being low on metal.

Incidentally, it may not be there for all, but here's the link for those with AmEx cards (well, some cards, and it could be a different offer to some):

https://www.amazon.com/amexoffer

Sometimes there's Discover and Chase card offers too that might help.

https://www.amazon.com/discoverpromo

https://www.amazon.com/chaseoffer

23 hours ago, sjoebarry said:

Is there something really wrong with it that I’m missing from prior posts?

Possibly for some that own the Arcadia VF-0's these HMR's kind of feel a down grade in both weight & details. 

Personally for me, I like the HMR series in general because it offers me the chance to have a squadron of those harder to find & often very expensive Valks, I simply can not afford multiple VF-4's, VF-0's and currently the ONLY quality VF-2SS. If a Macross Plus & Frontier line occur, I'll continue with this line because you know... multiple VF-11B's!!! 

As for the VF-1 Valkyrie, this is where the HMR line & I part ways, I have all that I need from Yamato & Arcadia in 1/60 & 1/48 plus a few DX versions. 

In the end I am looking forward to my VF-0D and fingers crossed for more Mac Zero toys to come, especially some SV-51's! 

Edited by 505thAirborne

59 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Possibly for some that own the Arcadia VF-0's these HMR's kind of feel a down grade in both weight & details. 

Personally for me, I like the HMR series in general because it offers me the chance to have a squadron of those harder to find & often very expensive Valks, I simply can not afford multiple VF-4's, VF-0's and currently the ONLY quality VF-2SS. If a Macross Plus & Frontier line occur, I'll continue with this line because you know... multiple VF-11B's!!! 

As for the VF-1 Valkyrie, this is where the HMR line & I part ways, I have all that I need from Yamato & Arcadia in 1/60 & 1/48 plus a few DX versions. 

In the end I am looking forward to my VF-0D and fingers crossed for my Mac Zero toys to come, especially some SV-51's! 

Agree with all this! The HMR line is the best ever for Macross when it comes to display and play options. Especially with the Destroids and enemy Mecha. But you need at least a couple VF-1s to bring it all together. 

30 minutes ago, jenius said:

They're a huge downgrade from the Arcadia in terms of feel, that's for sure. If you have the money and the desire to own only one, the choice is clear. 

Availability of either dependent, of course. ^_^ 

Though, I did have a funny thought about why there are so many returns.  How many people unfamiliar with the franchise and the Arcadia/Bandai marketing shenanigans in Japan may have bought this expecting the Arcadia version?  The molds are almost identical, and Amazon doesn't have any pictures of the packaging on the page (though someone did post a series of photos in their review).  I could see someone so blown away by the fact that they found a VF-0 on Amazon that they completely missed who made it.

Far as shipping goes though, this one set a record.  Purchase to door in under 20 hours.  Packaging was bare minimum though, just a plastic bag over the box, so I can see a lot of folks receiving these pretty banged up, and returning them.  Mine fortunately didn't travel far enough to get any damage, but not even using a bubble pack is pretty crappy on Amazon's part.

The VF-0S was my first HMR purchase, I got it to support Macross for a World Wide release, primarily for the Tenjin Box art.

My biggest gripe with the HMR line (I got the GBP release as my 2nd HMR for the Tenjin art too) is that the boxes have all these vertical striations that are visible at any sort of angle and light, across the wonderful art. Its like the carboard came off a roll and has folds for bending or something weird.

Yeah that is a weird peeve to have.

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Though, I did have a funny thought about why there are so many returns.  How many people unfamiliar with the franchise and the Arcadia/Bandai marketing shenanigans in Japan may have bought this expecting the Arcadia version?  The molds are almost identical, and Amazon doesn't have any pictures of the packaging on the page (though someone did post a series of photos in their review).  I could see someone so blown away by the fact that they found a VF-0 on Amazon that they completely missed who made it.

Far as shipping goes though, this one set a record.  Purchase to door in under 20 hours.  Packaging was bare minimum though, just a plastic bag over the box, so I can see a lot of folks receiving these pretty banged up, and returning them.  Mine fortunately didn't travel far enough to get any damage, but not even using a bubble pack is pretty crappy on Amazon's part.

That's it. You figured out why there's so many returns, and it's embarrassing for Amazon as it's THEIR fault and not Bandai.

I'm also embarrassed for not sussing that out initially myself, as I have repeatedly been the victim of this from Amazon on other figures, and even Walmart recently.

Really, to not instruct warehouse pickers to BOX stuff from the collectibles section of the building instead of bagging them is INSANE, but a longtime issue.

Having said that, Amazon will end up selling the returns as Amazon Warehouse under the "other sellers" section, so for those who are not box collectors (I am enough to want a new one), keep an eye out there. With promos, you might do even better than I did on price.

Only see it now, but Amazon sold out, and a 3rd party seller is hawking them new for $137+.

Funnily, Amazon Warehouse is the sole other seller with "Moderate box damage" at $101+ now.

I want to laugh, but I haven't gotten mine yet, and fear the bag... 😮

13 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

When reading the reviews, it appears the returns is down to expectation of the amount of metal due to the "Hi-Metal" branding, which, lets be honest, for the casual buyer that has just rekindled some Macross nostalgia, is very miss-leading. 

14 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

When reading the reviews, it appears the returns is down to expectation of the amount of metal due to the "Hi-Metal" branding, which, lets be honest, for the casual buyer that has just rekindled some Macross nostalgia, is very miss-leading. 

My take, if you consider yourself a fan of macross and want to get into collecting and you don’t use @jenius anymoon.com to educate yourself before making any purchase then it’s your own fault. 

You were not kidding, the negative reviews seem focus on the metal terminology in thr HMR name. example below.

I suspect there could be a new localization needed for the non Japanese markets who don't know the history of the line.

1.0 out of 5 starsVerified Purchase

Where is the Metal?

Reviewed in the United States on March 17, 2023
There is absolutely no METAL on this piece and I paid $150 for a cheap plastic imitation. I expected better from Bandai and Metal Spirits line. This is definitely going back. Please don't waste your time on this.

There's also three more reviews on this "piece of trash" according to them.

"Tons of tiny pieces waiting to get lost, small, flimsy construction. Please don't spend your money on this." - March 24/2023

"I spent $150 for a small plastic which claimed to be hi metal. Don't get cheat by the picture" - March 20, 2023

"Don't waste your money on this plastic junk." - April 7, 2023

Just like what @Shawn has mentioned above, these noobs are completely clueless about the history of the toyline. 

Again, despite what quality issues there my be, the poor shipping method is more likely the main reason for the labeling of the Amazon listing as "frequently returned".

Oh, it's also back in stock at the same price again sold by by Amazon. "Moderate box damage" is still about a buck less.

I see a positive aspect is that new fans to the series are willing to drop $120 on a collectible they don't know much about. That is not an insignificant amount to drop on a toy.
If this was your first Macross toy since seeing a Jetfire from the 80's, I could understand being underwhelmed at the size and plastic.
These would not be the comments made on the upcoming DX YF-19.

Hope Bandai can make any needed marketing adjustments and keep thing moving forward!

Maybe they switch back to "HCM" - High Complete Model, it would seem to fit the line better, and there is history there.

I agree. Hi-Metal is really a misnomer for the VF-0. Thin plastics, albeit very strong, & the translucency is even more off-putting for those new to the line.

So far, the HMR I have with the most metal in hand would be the Bat-Shu. That one honestly feels like it could belong to the Metal Build line.

I know when I first heard about the HMR line and saw the reviews, I thought the same thing. Hi-Metal with barely any metal huh? Pass. Then I got a Regult and was so blown away with how good it was I ended up getting ever single HMR release with many multiples and never looked back. 

5 hours ago, sjoebarry said:

My take, if you consider yourself a fan of macross and want to get into collecting and you don’t use @jenius anymoon.com to educate yourself before making any purchase then it’s your own fault. 

There's a lot of Macross fans on just the anime culture that when purchasing the odd piece, rely on the brand's name and online visuals, or only familiar with the general quality/size per size of less priced toys.

For anyone with the slightest experience with a Metal Build or general Bandai around this price range, they'll think it's something to that when seeing Hi-Metal + Bandai. And these buyers, rightfully, shouldn't go online hunting for forums or reviews to justify the quality of a 120-170 toy purchase of an established brand. 

That said, I don't own the 0S, only the 0D, but I've seen online images of how the light goes through the 0S including the Max edition. Thankfully this is not the case with the 0D. It seems Bandai listened and thanking, as the dropping price of the peg warming 0S is only bad news for us Macross Zero fans for future planned releases. 

Edited by Raikkonen

52 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I know when I first heard about the HMR line and saw the reviews, I thought the same thing. Hi-Metal with barely any metal huh? Pass. Then I got a Regult and was so blown away with how good it was I ended up getting ever single HMR release with many multiples and never looked back. 

I missed out on the Regult... at the time I met my wife and distanced myself from collecting. Maybe Bandai will re-release it?

20 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

I missed out on the Regult... at the time I met my wife and distanced myself from collecting. Maybe Bandai will re-release it?

There is that Regult Scout still floating around waiting for a release or not knowing Bandai. Also could check the upcoming KC one and hope it’s close to being as good.