Stands comparable to yetistands

Jdmguy25

13 hours ago, ChaoticYeti said:

Ah...yep. I put several years into Yetistand. It was enjoyable and sometimes rewarding, but very stressful. I doubled down on my career during covid and don't have the capacity to fire up Yetistand like it was before. It looks like my acrylic design was....flatteringly taken over and I'm taking it as a compliment? I understand I left a vacuum. Yetistand was not cheap to run, so more power to you and I hope your margins are making it worth your while. I question some decisions, and I don't know who is responsible for the archistand stuff, but I have had zero involvement with that project, and only recently became aware of it.

Seems like the adapters have a bit of value in them. I have all of my digital files backed up for all of Yetistand. There are some intriguing questions in some old emails and dm's around buying all of my files. I don't think anyone is going to pay me what I think they're worth, but I am not against looking in to setting them up on a print on demand service. My only concern with that is quality control and tolerances. I took pride in dialing in the adapters as best I could. I don't know how well they will work if a service or other player prints them, and I don't know if they will care enough to adjust them to work as needed.

Thinking this through. 

Margins? :rofl:  Much like the waterslide decals that I've produced for this community over the past 22 years, I'd be taking a loss if I offered my adapters for sale at a price that collectors would find acceptable (which is what I do). Especially when you factor in the amount of time required to design them, print them, clean them up, and ship them out. Big chunk of the design time was getting everything dialed in, to include recalibrating my printer for the filament I wanted to use and then making tweaks to the designs in order to ensure the prints were as close to the drafted dimensions as possible. I would care enough to print your adapters correctly, but it might be more than I can take on. My day job is...intense.

8 hours ago, ChaoticYeti said:

It was never lost on me that if someone's $300+ figure fell off the stand I would be blamed.

I feel this way about the adapters I just designed for the Yamato 1/48, since they are cradles that don't "clip" onto the valk. Do anything too crazy with them, like a close-to-90-degree banking pose, and the valk might fall out.

18 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Margins? :rofl:  Much like the waterslide decals that I've produced for this community over the past 22 years, I'd be taking a loss if I offered my adapters for sale at a price that collectors would find acceptable (which is what I do). Especially when you factor in the amount of time required to design them, print them, clean them up, and ship them out. Big chunk of the design time was getting everything dialed in, to include recalibrating my printer for the filament I wanted to use and then making tweaks to the designs in order to ensure the prints were as close to the drafted dimensions as possible. I would care enough to print your adapters correctly, but it might be more than I can take on. My day job is...intense.

I feel this way about the adapters I just designed for the Yamato 1/48, since they are cradles that don't "clip" onto the valk. Do anything too crazy with them, like a close-to-90-degree banking pose, and the valk might fall out.

I remember pics of some of the Yeti adapters where he was holding the Valks upside down with no fear of them falling off. Quality!

The margins and such are why I did my only Macross 3D Modeling (missilepod gunpod replacement for VF-31) as a hobby thing, and then promptly just put the files up for free, and on shapeways at cost.

More power to you guys, for being able to keep up with the business side of things, even temporarily.

8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

I remember pics of some of the Yeti adapters where he was holding the Valks upside down with no fear of them falling off. Quality!

It comes down to how you can print them and what materials you use. It's not hard to design adapters that will snap in place so you can hold the valk upside down (which I did), it's another to be able to print them without going to a commercial provider. Consumer grade additive manufacturing options are more limited and because of how the material is laid down during printing, there is a "grain" to it. Introduce too much stress along the grain, which would happen if you start pushing adapters onto valks, and the adapters break. I went through multiple prototypes that suffered this fate. I also wanted to limit how much the adapters might scratch up paint jobs on custom 1/48s, so I increased tolerances to create cradles instead of snap-on adapters. I still need to complete my Minmay Guard and Blue Roses 002 customs and don't want them getting messed up by display adapters.

Edited by Anasazi37

4 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

It comes down to how you can print them and what materials you use. It's not hard to design adapters that will snap in place so you can hold the valk upside down (which I did), it's another to be able to print them without going to a commercial provider. Consumer grade additive manufacturing options are more limited and because of how the material is laid down during printing, there is a "grain" to it. Introduce too much stress along the grain, which would happen if you start pushing adapters onto valks, and the adapters break. I went through multiple prototypes that suffered this fate. I also wanted to limit how much the adapters might scratch up paint jobs on custom 1/48s, so I increased tolerances to create cradles instead of snap-on adapters. I still need to complete my Minmay Guard and Blue Roses 002 customs and don't want them getting messed up by display adapters.

Good points! Lots of considerations... Other than some waterslides (thanks!), I don't worry about customs. I'm glad there are people putting so much thought into making our collections better.

22 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I wish I had stocked up on more Yeti adapters. They're so much better than the default adapters from Yamato/Arcadia. Especially the VF-1 adapters. :(

It's starting to feel like I wasted a substantial amount of my limited free time on the Yamato 1/48 adapter project to help fellow MW members who have been asking for adapters for several years now, but more intensely since Archi Stands came on the scene. I'm now glad that I hadn't designed or printed anything beyond the prototypes. If Yeti makes his adapters available again in some form, great. He clearly put a ton of thought and effort into those and the community will benefit from having access to them. I'm going to pause my project and wait to see how all of this plays out.

Welcome back @ChaoticYeti!!

RIP your inbox!

Thanks also for giving your blessing to Archi. All the stands and adapters I bought from you are good as the day I received them. Great work!!

Looking at setting up the 1/48 adapters on shapeways. Who wants to be my guinea pig in ordering a few and testing them out on their valks?

Edited by ChaoticYeti

38 minutes ago, ChaoticYeti said:

Looking at setting up the 1/48 adapters on shapeways. Who wants to be my guinea pig in ordering a few and testing them out on their valks?

I'm in need of one that will work for a Battroid equipped with GBP so I'd be glad to try one out.

On 7/10/2023 at 5:33 PM, Slave IV said:

I'm in need of one that will work for a Battroid equipped with GBP so I'd be glad to try one out.

That's one of the adapters I am most curious about using a service for as I printed them in 2 parts and glued them together myself.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've continued to refine my Yamato 1/48 adapters for the Archi Stands. Battroid is done now, but I'm still tweaking the ones for Gerwalk, Fighter, and Armored Fighter. As mentioned above, the gunpod sits lower in Armored Fighter, and it's a lot heavier when displayed, so I made a separate adapter just for that case. Required some reinforcement. Here's the result. Printed in PLA for rapid prototyping, not ABS, but it's still very strong. You can do some extreme banking poses. The adapters are really cradles, no clipping on to anything. The valk just sits in them and gravity does the rest. I'm avoiding the clip-on approach because that is more difficult to print reliably, but also because I plan to use these adapters on 1/48 customs I'm creating and don't want to scratch the paint jobs.

PXL_20230923_223332073.MP.jpg

PXL_20230923_223400454.jpg

I broke out the Yamato stand for the first time, and was immediately disappointed in that you could not mount the gunpod in fighter mode, like really!!??? WTH.

I was curious and the 1/48 DX VF-1 stand is almost perfect for the 1/48 Yamato with the gunpod-it just has nothing to stop it from sliding back on the clear mount.
The arm armor looks like it was made for the adapterimage.jpeg.1362e16267b1d1d7c0131e95d3a8e018.jpeg

If there was some way to add friction to the clear plastic stand so the valk wouldn't slide off backwards, or some other crazy sort of stop it would be pretty cool.
I hacked it by using the rear landing gear lights as brakes to prevent the slide off.

image.jpeg.21869e6a7ac63c48440944b5dfdb8703.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, connor99 said:
Does anyone know if and when gokinplus.com will do a re-stock on the short ver. of the Archi Pro Series Stand?  I need one for a 1/60 ver.2 I just acquired. 

He's been restocking pretty regularly. Recommend you 1) check the site often as @starkiller239 recommended, 2) join the Macross Fan Central group on Facebook (he announces restocks there), or 3) message him here and request an update on restocking (his username is BroTaku79). When I need stands...and I keep finding reasons to buy more of them...I tend to check the site a few times a week. That way I don't have to sort through a bunch of "sorry if someone already posted this or already asked this question" noise in the Facebook group to find his updates. With that said, when an update does show up in the group, he sometimes includes a discount code.

2 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

He's been restocking pretty regularly. Recommend you 1) check the site often as @starkiller239 recommended, 2) join the Macross Fan Central group on Facebook (he announces restocks there), or 3) message him here and request an update on restocking (his username is BroTaku79). When I need stands...and I keep finding reasons to buy more of them...I tend to check the site a few times a week. That way I don't have to sort through a bunch of "sorry if someone already posted this or already asked this question" noise in the Facebook group to find his updates. With that said, when an update does show up in the group, he sometimes includes a discount code.

Thanks, man. I’ll take you up on that advice. 

13 hours ago, connor99 said:
Does anyone know if and when gokinplus.com will do a re-stock on the short ver. of the Archi Pro Series Stand?  I need one for a 1/60 ver.2 I just acquired. 

Restocking it soon, I have the stuff here but just didn't have the time to check through the shipment and putting it up on the site.  Hopefully sometime tonight.

1 hour ago, BroTaku79 said:

Restocking it soon, I have the stuff here but just didn't have the time to check through the shipment and putting it up on the site.  Hopefully sometime tonight.

Nice! Thanks for the heads up.

Hey guys,

All stands are now restocked!

I've added some additional stuff such as Pose+ gaogaigar stand.

I also don't think I've ran anything for MW folks so I am gonna run a quick promo for you all.

Please use code "mw" at the checkout to get 10% off your entire order (excludes shipping).

1 use per customer and this will expire next Sunday at 11:59pm.

Thank you and please visit gokinplus.com

Best,

Eugene

On 10/17/2023 at 2:18 PM, bruinsinla said:

I always like the Yeti stands but these new Archie stands are great too.  Heavier base and feels very solid.  Not worried about it tipping over.  Managed to fit all four inside.image.png.14505830b58a4bef80b9594ef6f8a84d.png

Wow, you really CUSTOM MAX this set up!  Very nice!  

I think most folks that had experienced Yeti knows how to maximize my stand.

Thanks for your order.