Stands comparable to yetistands

Jdmguy25

25 minutes ago, MKT said:

The tilt of your Angel Bird on Archi stand pic is about the same as the tilt angle Bandai set for the extra Limited Stand on their VF-1J Hikaru & VF-1S Roy first editions.
That set angle on Bandai's stand is somewhat precarious, as the valk is mostly resting on the rear portion of the cradle (the part that holds the valk arms), whilst the front forks of the cradle (between the head) are barely holding onto the valk to prevent it from crashing down. The cradle design is really more suitable to hold the valk at flatter angles like on Bandai's fixed posed stand.

Both standard clear adapter & the black plastic cradle on the limited stand uses the same design to hold the valk, so I think tilting the valk on the clear adapter with the Archi stand will also put uneven stress on the adapter. I would be careful of putting the valk at that tilted angle in the long term, as clear plastic tends to be brittle & may suddenly snap causing the valk to come tumbling down.                                                             

You're right, both the connection to the valk and to the stand are both not ideal for high angles of tilt. I guess ill leave those looks to my Acadia valks.

As a fun weekend project, I created an adapter for the Yamato 1/48. It closely mirrors the original design. I wanted to start with that and see how it looked. Works well, but the one drawback is that you can't mount the gunpod--it runs smack into the Arcadia A adapter on the stand. I'll spend some time next weekend extending the design to allow for the gunpod in both regular Fighter and Super/Strike. Will also look at making a Battroid adapter. I'm not going to copy Yeti's designs, for the reasons already outlined above, but space and valk part constraints will lead to me making very similar choices. There are only so many ways to make an adapter....

A few design notes. The prototype is printed in PLA, which is not very sturdy. End goal is to print in ABS, but my new printer is being really temperamental about that material and I don't have it dialed in yet. Lots of failures yesterday. Much like Yeti's adapter, I chose to do a straight vertical slot for holding the hip bar in place instead of one that "snaps" the bar in place by closing around it. The latter puts too much strain on the printed adapter. There's just enough friction, based on the slot width I selected, to hold the bar in place, but I'd still avoid barrel rolls. Last, this adapter requires the use of supports when printing, so I tried to orient the part so you won't see the impacted areas. I only did a quick cleanup for this prototype, but you'll see impacted areas in the pictures below.

image.jpeg.2508aa0e1c7b092fa1236a2189f813d2.jpeg

image.jpeg.a666804bea4ab174e6293b2c56999786.jpeg

image.jpeg.457325f96a84251d9fee2920c16217c3.jpeg

image.jpeg.ee826d4d0d0a3e70d6c757d006b36bf7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Nice! Are you going to sell some of these or willing to share the files?

Haven't thought that far ahead yet. For now, I'm just trying to get the designs right. Rest assured, they will be available to the community in some form. :D

42 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Haven't thought that far ahead yet. For now, I'm just trying to get the designs right. Rest assured, they will be available to the community in some form. :D

Not all heroes wear capes . Thank you!!

End of week update for the Yamato 1/48 adapter project. I've been tweaking the design a little bit each evening, printing multiple prototypes along the way. I think it's pretty close now. Here's the latest version. It takes advantage of the original adapter design and uses it as a low profile anchor point behind the head, but also redistributes the weight of the valk further back (right behind the shoulders) in a way that holds the valk snugly in place without having to do any kind of snap fitting. It simply rests in the adapter. I wouldn't flip it upside down and expect it to stay in place, but other than that, you can do some extreme banking in the display stand and it seems to be rock solid. The tab at the bottom is moved just far enough back from the edge so the front of the adapter sits flush with the Arcadia A adapter when attached. I've been printing the prototypes in ABS for added strength, but you could probably get away with PLA since the adapter isn't subjected to a lot of pressure. I'm thinking about making a shorter version for a valk that doesn't have the armor attached. Adapters for Gerwalk and Battroid are also in the works.

image.jpeg.3edf5d61aeed6b92a20d6871cecb9f9f.jpeg

image.jpeg.3274796273c3f09821b0114d06e33e6a.jpeg

image.jpeg.20acc2d3de6316d22b068a1b0c450490.jpeg

2 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

End of week update for the Yamato 1/48 adapter project. I've been tweaking the design a little bit each evening, printing multiple prototypes along the way. I think it's pretty close now. Here's the latest version. It takes advantage of the original adapter design and uses it as a low profile anchor point behind the head, but also redistributes the weight of the valk further back (right behind the shoulders) in a way that holds the valk snugly in place without having to do any kind of snap fitting. It simply rests in the adapter. I wouldn't flip it upside down and expect it to stay in place, but other than that, you can do some extreme banking in the display stand and it seems to be rock solid. The tab at the bottom is moved just far enough back from the edge so the front of the adapter sits flush with the Arcadia A adapter when attached. I've been printing the prototypes in ABS for added strength, but you could probably get away with PLA since the adapter isn't subjected to a lot of pressure. I'm thinking about making a shorter version for a valk that doesn't have the armor attached. Adapters for Gerwalk and Battroid are also in the works.

Looking good!

4 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Ah, smart thinking on the super/strike stand adapter vs non super/strike adapter.  Very exciting to see these coming along!

• 2 weeks later...

Took a week longer than anticipated, but I finished up all four adapters for the Yamato 1/48: Battroid, Gerwalk, Fighter, and Fighter with Super/Strike Parts. The Battroid and Gerwalk adapters work with or without the Super/Strike Parts attached, but separate ones were needed for both Fighter mode variants so you don't end up with a lot of empty space under the gunpod. I printed them in some white PLA that I had on hand because it was much faster for prototyping and tweaking the designs, but grey ABS would be my choice for actual use. I'm still making some small adjustments, but they're looking pretty good now. My goal was to make them as low profile as possible, so you barely know they are there. They are also best thought of cradles because the valk rests in them, but isn't locked into place. You can do some pretty extreme banking poses, though.

samples small.jpg

PXL_20230618_215507170.jpg

PXL_20230618_220347811.jpg

PXL_20230618_222603465.jpg

PXL_20230618_223409031.jpg

3 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Took a week longer than anticipated, but I finished up all four adapters for the Yamato 1/48: Battroid, Gerwalk, Fighter, and Fighter with Super/Strike Parts. The Battroid and Gerwalk adapters work with or without the Super/Strike Parts attached, but separate ones were needed for both Fighter mode variants so you don't end up with a lot of empty space under the gunpod. I printed them in some white PLA that I had on hand because it was much faster for prototyping and tweaking the designs, but grey ABS would be my choice for actual use. I'm still making some small adjustments, but they're looking pretty good now. My goal was to make them as low profile as possible, so you barely know they are there. They are also best thought of cradles because the valk rests in them, but isn't locked into place. You can do some pretty extreme banking poses, though.

samples small.jpg

PXL_20230618_215507170.jpg

PXL_20230618_220347811.jpg

PXL_20230618_222603465.jpg

PXL_20230618_223409031.jpg

Looking good! Will the Battroid adapter work with GBP equipped Valks too?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Lol! Please say you are back in the game!

Just catching up. I didn't have access to this site for a few years, and I was looking up info on the Bandai YF-21.

12 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Oh cool! Great to have you back and as you noticed, it’s been desperate times without you. 😉

Looks pretty cool. Acrylic was the annoying part to get right every time, and the main reason I didn't keep up through covid.

4 minutes ago, ChaoticYeti said:

Looks pretty cool. Acrylic was the annoying part to get right every time, and the main reason I didn't keep up through covid.

So glad to see your back ! We were all so hooked on your stands. There's a constant need .

48 minutes ago, ChaoticYeti said:

Maybe you can just do the adapters? Or help us get the ones we need in some way? I know you did a lot of work to perfect so many different types of adapters so it would be a shame to have to redo some of that. I’m pretty sure there would at least be demand for the various Yamato 1/48 and Sentinel Mospeada adapters. It is great to have any of these better stand options though. 

9 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Maybe you can just do the adapters? Or help us get the ones we need in some way? I know you did a lot of work to perfect so many different types of adapters so it would be a shame to have to redo some of that. I’m pretty sure there would at least be demand for the various Yamato 1/48 and Sentinel Mospeada adapters. It is great to have any of these better stand options though. 

Yes, even just selling personal use versions of the designs through a site like Cults 3D and letting people print them as needed would be extremely helpful to this community. I just spent several weekends designing new adapters for the Yamato 1/48. It was a time consuming and frustrating process. I was working on a plan to make the adapters available to people, but now maybe I'll stop....

2 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Yes, even just selling personal use versions of the designs through a site like Cults 3D and letting people print them as needed would be extremely helpful to this community. I just spent several weekends designing new adapters for the Yamato 1/48. It was a time consuming and frustrating process. I was working on a plan to make the adapters available to people, but now maybe I'll stop....

Ah...yep. I put several years into Yetistand. It was enjoyable and sometimes rewarding, but very stressful. I doubled down on my career during covid and don't have the capacity to fire up Yetistand like it was before. It looks like my acrylic design was....flatteringly taken over and I'm taking it as a compliment? I understand I left a vacuum. Yetistand was not cheap to run, so more power to you and I hope your margins are making it worth your while. I question some decisions, and I don't know who is responsible for the archistand stuff, but I have had zero involvement with that project, and only recently became aware of it.

Seems like the adapters have a bit of value in them. I have all of my digital files backed up for all of Yetistand. There are some intriguing questions in some old emails and dm's around buying all of my files. I don't think anyone is going to pay me what I think they're worth, but I am not against looking in to setting them up on a print on demand service. My only concern with that is quality control and tolerances. I took pride in dialing in the adapters as best I could. I don't know how well they will work if a service or other player prints them, and I don't know if they will care enough to adjust them to work as needed.

Thinking this through. 

Edited by ChaoticYeti

3 hours ago, ChaoticYeti said:

Ah...yep. I put several years into Yetistand. It was enjoyable and sometimes rewarding, but very stressful. I doubled down on my career during covid and don't have the capacity to fire up Yetistand like it was before. It looks like my acrylic design was....flatteringly taken over and I'm taking it as a compliment? I understand I left a vacuum. Yetistand was not cheap to run, so more power to you and I hope your margins are making it worth your while. I question some decisions, and I don't know who is responsible for the archistand stuff, but I have had zero involvement with that project, and only recently became aware of it.

Seems like the adapters have a bit of value in them. I have all of my digital files backed up for all of Yetistand. There are some intriguing questions in some old emails and dm's around buying all of my files. I don't think anyone is going to pay me what I think they're worth, but I am not against looking in to setting them up on a print on demand service. My only concern with that is quality control and tolerances. I took pride in dialing in the adapters as best I could. I don't know how well they will work if a service or other player prints them, and I don't know if they will care enough to adjust them to work as needed.

Thinking this through. 

That attention to detail is what sets the great apart. Thanks for everything you did for this community! Of course, we all hope you can figure something out that works for you regarding those adapters.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

https://gokinplus.com/collections/all

All Archi Stands and additional items currently available on their site.

Interesting. Shapes are all eerily similar, but no laser etching or rubber washer at the joints. That saves a pretty penny as the laser etching process doubled the cost of getting the acrylic cut. The longer crescent moon arm with multiple holes was something I had thought of but I never went down that road specifically because of the laser etching on the joints increased cost so much per surface area dimensions. No laser etching, no downside.

Do many people have these stands? Do the joints stay put? Anyone crack an arm yet from over tightening?

28 minutes ago, ChaoticYeti said:

Interesting. Shapes are all eerily similar, but no laser etching or rubber washer at the joints. That saves a pretty penny as the laser etching process doubled the cost of getting the acrylic cut. The longer crescent moon arm with multiple holes was something I had thought of but I never went down that road specifically because of the laser etching on the joints increased cost so much per surface area dimensions. No laser etching, no downside.

Do many people have these stands? Do the joints stay put? Anyone crack an arm yet from over tightening?

Hey Yeti,

Glad you are back and well.  This is Eugene and I am the one that is offering and selling archi stands.

I am here to write you to give you a quick rundown on how Archi stands came about in order to avoid any misunderstandings it may cause.

I was searching for an alternative to Yeti while you were gone and after few years of searching, I found a producer/designer/creator

of archi stand who is based out in Korea and he was already offering the stands to Macross community within Korea exclusively.

Interestingly, archi designer himself was inspired by you and when he realized you were no longer available, he wanted to continue to share the passion

and offer stand similar in style and quality in Korea.  While design elements were taken from Yeti, he added his own twists and points to differentiate it from Yeti.  

All Archi stands are produced in highest quality and they are being made in small batches in South Korea so production cost is not cheap and I am exclusively distributing them with very minimal margins worldwide.

*A lot of stands have been sold so far and they are thicker than Yeti to differentiate the two brands which also means no cracked arm*

Best regards,

Eugene

Edited by BroTaku79
fix

51 minutes ago, ChaoticYeti said:

That laser etching is an interesting difference I didn't think of. The washer thing and thickness are the first things I noticed though. So far, it seems ok but you definitely have to tighten a lot more for them to feel secure.

8 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

That laser etching is an interesting difference I didn't think of. The washer thing and thickness are the first things I noticed though. So far, it seems ok but you definitely have to tighten a lot more for them to feel secure.

The laser etching helps the rubber washer grip. Compressive force from the rubber washer pushing out against the acrylic and hardware, along with added friction from the rubber filling in the rough surface of the laser etched acrylic "locks" it in place on multiple axis. I wanted to mitigate a need, or impulse to over tighten. It was never lost on me that if someone's $300+ figure fell off the stand I would be blamed.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

3 hours ago, ChaoticYeti said:

The laser etching helps the rubber washer grip. Compressive force from the rubber washer pushing out against the acrylic and hardware, along with added friction from the rubber filling in the rough surface of the laser etched acrylic "locks" it in place on multiple axis. I wanted to mitigate a need, or impulse to over tighten. It was never lost on me that if someone's $300+ figure fell off the stand I would be blamed.

Again, that attention to detail is much appreciated! My only regret is not buying more when I had the chance. 

2 hours ago, derex3592 said:

I've still got like two gallon ziplock bags full of Yetistand parts and pieces and adaptors. I should really go through them all at some point and get some more of my Valks on display with them! ROOM to do it is the problem!  :unsure:

Nice, you need to put those to use! Like I said, my only regret is not buying more back when we could. Glad @BroTaku79 has stepped up to fill the need.