Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S & VF-0A

joppewo

Maybe if it was all metal it would wear down the plastic socket so they put a plastic on plastic contact to reduce wear? I'm not sure. Bandai's hip are full metal to plastic socket correct? Some of mine are getting floppy.

AFAIK, Bandai's have half-metal / half-plastic joint in a plastic socket.

That was the same thing I suffered but your repair was more invasive but looks as good as new whereas mine has a bit of a gap that widens and closes as I use the GERWALK joint.

I knew I wasn't going to get anywhere with amiami, so I just soldiered forth. I took as much care as I could taking it apart, and it looks perfectly seamless all put back together. Had I not posted pics you wouldn't be able to tell which leg had the issue.

Here's my review of Shin's VF-0A.

Nicely done again Andrew.

I was enjoying it and still happy enough I didn't order the -0A until you got to battroid.........goddamn it looks so awesome in giant robot mode!

I'll hang in there until Christmas though and see hope that my -0S fulfils the need!

Leg came off again. I took a close look, and it appears to be a tolerance issue (go figure).

The first issue is that the plastic is more than half of the ball.

V1MmT4q.jpg

This means that in order to maintain integrity, the socket has to keep the metal half encapsulated, which is less than half of the circumference. If the socket gets too wide, and the shallow equator is exposed, the ball can separate.

Low and behold, the plastic on my right hip is too large for the socket causing the socket to be wider than intended.

No ball inside:

0yk2bcXh.jpg

Ball inside:

1sQoHwth.jpg

The screw sits behind the ball, so there is no way to tighten down the socket if the ball doesn't fit.

XZYSRrah.jpg

I have modeled a slightly smaller ball cap, and printed it out. I will post progress.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Yeah, that sort of issue would probably also go a long way to explaining why the VF-19's feet have issues.. the stupid ball doesn't even come out round. and you wind up with completely uneven tension on the joint.

I don't understand what was so hard about just using what worked before. This wasn't an issue on the original VF-0, 1/48th VF-1, v.2 VF-1, or pretty much anything else using either all plastic or all metal ball joints.

Wow. Sorry to hear about your guys issues with the new Valk. When's someone gonna call out Arcadia as to what they really are? Overpriced, poorly engineered, not accurately painted, and lack of tampo printing IMHO makes these guys not even be on my radar anymore. I know they have their supporters here, but I'm sorry, I'm out until I see major changes. I was thinking about this today, I mean what have they actually released that isn't a direct copy of Yamato Ver 2 VF-1's OR had serious issues with joints, inaccurate paint jobs and sever lack of tampo. The answer is nothing! I'm on the Bandai train myself. Are they as good now as Yamato was before? Debatable. Glad I was around in the golden years of Yamato.

Wow. Sorry to hear about your guys issues with the new Valk. When's someone gonna call out Arcadia as to what they really are? Overpriced, poorly engineered, not accurately painted, and lack of tampo printing IMHO makes these guys not even be on my radar anymore. I know they have their supporters here, but I'm sorry, I'm out until I see major changes. I was thinking about this today, I mean what have they actually released that isn't a direct copy of Yamato Ver 2 VF-1's OR had serious issues with joints, inaccurate paint jobs and sever lack of tampo. The answer is nothing! I'm on the Bandai train myself. Are they as good now as Yamato was before? Debatable. Glad I was around in the golden years of Yamato.

Uhmm, not sure, but where have you been?

We've been calling Arcadia out for overpricing, bad engineering and inaccurate coloring since at least the pinkish VF-1 and the YF-19. I don't think there's any Arcadia valk-release that hasn't been seriously grilled here. Tenjin himself seriously questioned their color choice on the 0D during proto-days.

Mr.K even had to go explain the overpricing on his blog recently.

The 3d printed ball works, and there is no longer a gap on the seam of the socket. There is slightly more play in the 3d printed hip than the stock one. I am going to scale it up a few micron's at a time until I am happy with it.

ydKfaaEh.jpg

zyzKoR1h.jpg

9bpDx49h.jpg

5PWVBO0h.jpg

Edited by ChaoticYeti

The 3d printed ball works, and there is no longer a gap on the seam of the socket. There is slightly more play in the 3d printed hip than the stock one. I am going to scale it up a few micron's at a time until I am happy with it.

That is awesome that you can make a fix with your 3D printer. I checked the hip ball joints of my VF-0A and it seems to be ok for now. Will you be selling the fix parts on your site?

Just to segue a bit, but doesn't it seem like this new Shin looks way too leggy and misproportioned with the revised chest?

At least in battroid mode.

I had the Arcadia 0A standing next to my Yamato 0S for side by side comparision and the 0A does look a bit more leggy, but the proportions look fine to me. It might be because I have been looking at the Frontier Valks and they all are leggy.

Re-re-assembled.

RTxwYrdh.jpg

It is actually holding up better than the stock hip.

That is awesome that you can make a fix with your 3D printer. I checked the hip ball joints of my VF-0A and it seems to be ok for now. Will you be selling the fix parts on your site?

Sure. $30 a pop. J/K. I'll mail them for the cost of postage.

Sorry to hear you had a second pop-off on that hip. Right on for being able to get back in and address that. If my 0D ever pops back off I'll know who to PM!

When you have the tools at your disposal, you might as well use them.

What was $300 last year is now almost $400 this year, due to the slumping Aussie dollar. So seeing things like this hurts even more.

you are not wrong there my friend!

ydKfaaEh.jpg

I'll happily take a few off your hands as an insurance policy.. PM me your paypal address and I'll send some funds your way!

Re-re-assembled.

RTxwYrdh.jpg

hehe! you should send Arcadia the bill for the cost of materials!

And great photo pose!

QmWi5SHh.jpg

Looks fantastic in battroid! Man im thinking of picking up a 2nd!!! what to do.....??

@ChaoticYeti

Great fix, Yeti! Now I know who's the person to bug when my Zero's need a-fixing. :lol:

@Spanner

Go get another one!!! ;)

@And to the rest of MW members who has VF-4G and the recent released VF-0A

Do they have the same shade of grey? Is VF-4G more darker? Thanks! ;)

@Spanner

Go get another one!!! ;)

hehe! I kinda knew you'd say something like that! :D

Im definitely considering it yes but I will wait till the one I ordered to arrive and go from there. Just all these glorious photos people are posting isn't helping my normal lack of patience.. :rolleyes::lol:

Edited by spanner76

Wow, that's some excellent repair work ChaoticYeti, you really didn't stop until it was FIXED, :)

If only Arcadia were like some of the 3rd Party Transformer company (example: Maketoys)

They will post the issues on their own website, along with replacement parts to fix the issue, and all you had to do was contact the store that you purchase from and they will mail out the replacement parts for FREE.

Sometime their next release will also include FIX parts for the previous release, maybe ARCADIA can start doing that.. <_< since this is like design FLAW in their new Macross Zero line.

When Arcadia release their VF-0S, they should include a bag with 6 replacement ball sockets to cover their Current QC issues with VF-0D , VF-0a and possible VF-0S,

Re-re-assembled.

*snip

was kinda bummed when i saw ur disaster pics...though magically it looks so gorgeous after you fixed it, must be the pose holding its own....

When Arcadia release their VF-0S, they should include a bag with 6 replacement ball sockets to cover their Current QC issues with VF-0D , VF-0a and possible VF-0S,

either that or get it from yeti!!

although i wouldnt want to need to fix the joint for the amout of $$ its costs, but somehow with the fixes available, it seems kinda like dissambling and making your toy more bionic!

i wonder if there would be 'BIONIC' parts...haha..

replace steve austin with VF-0a to get ...SIX MILLION DOLLAR VALK!

Edited by seti88

hehe! I kinda knew you'd say something like that! :D

Im definitely considering it yes but I will wait till the one I ordered to arrive and go from there. Just all these glorious photos people are posting isn't helping my normal lack of patience.. :rolleyes::lol:

Wait. You still don't have the 0A yet? Hope the guys will post more starting tomorrow. Hehehe. :lol: Better stay away from MWF for the enxt two days, Spanner. ;)

I agree. ;) But I'm sure Mr.K will release another blog stating it will be more expensive if they put the 6 replacement ball sockets in their initial release. :lol:

Quick shot

Hey Saburo. Great pics by the way. ;)

Just want to ask if you can compare the grey of this one to the VF-4G. Do they have the same shade somehow? Or the VF-4G is a little darker? Thanks in advance. :)

*Snip*

Hey Saburo. Great pics by the way. ;)

Just want to ask if you can compare the grey of this one to the VF-4G. Do they have the same shade somehow? Or the VF-4G is a little darker? Thanks in advance. :)

Thank you, and I'll take a look at them both tomorrow and let you know. :)

Wait. You still don't have the 0A yet? Hope the guys will post more starting tomorrow. Hehehe. :lol: Better stay away from MWF for the enxt two days, Spanner. ;)

Yeah nahh still hasn't arrived yet.. it did land in the country today a day later than i had expected so it must have diverted elsewhere before hitting Sydney. If they dont mess about too much and it makes it to the distribution centre then i might just get it tomorrow.. fingers crossed eh..

Edited by spanner76