Arcadia 1/60 Perfect Transformation VF-0D for 2015

Dark_Ghost

We don't need no stinking translation, Google chrome is doing a fine job :p

"Mr. K @ Mrk_arcadia 39m39 minutes ago

@ Ezwea1 In other words, because it is that is made ​​up of your support, "because it vegetarian so that it will be answered expectations, continue to thank you!" here what with what you say. And gladly enjoy it is also the my joy!"

Edited by Loop

Guest davidwhangchoi

Was just retweeted by Mr K a few hours ago though.

yeah he forwarned it's the same one that was displayed at wonderfest that going to be demo'd in store (Akihabara)

it was the same exact format as the yf-19 where they demo'd the prototype while Mr. K was testing T-1, T-2, T-3, in house. and Nov was the time he started the production diary as well.

etc.

the new color adjusted will prob come around Christmas if it's on the same schedule as the yf-19 (i think around christmas or new years T-3 [third test valk] had the new color)

maybe it may be sooner or later with the 0D

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Same as I suspected/feared---they still don't understand SATURATION of a color, vs its value/brightness.

Darker isn't the (main)answer, LESS SATURATED is what it needs to be.

They'll end up at navy blue soon, and be no closer to what they should be, saturation-wise.

I hate to say it, but I may agree with those who say it's worse now. They basically DID THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT NEEDED TO HAPPEN.

Seriously, they need Koike himself to supervise, as a painter he certainly understands the concept exactly---but the guys actually mixing up the plastic dyes etc sure don't seem to.

The revised/shopped pics/artwork do get pretty close, so they seem to know WHAT they want. They just seem to lack the knowledge on how to get it. (because making it lighter or darker isn't going to move it in the direction it needs---brightness vs saturation)

hsb_eg.gif

hue-saturation-brightness.jpg

(hue/chroma is rarely gotten wrong, that's 100x easier for people to understand)

Yeah, I'm in agreement with David on this one, it's still the wrong color. Unless this is some special "Max custom".
The original color with more saturation, not a deeper blue. Whatever, if it's not somewhat accurate before release I'll just

not get it. At this point at 300$+ with shipping, it needs to be the right effing color.

Same as I suspected/feared---they still don't understand SATURATION of a color, vs its value/brightness.

Darker isn't the (main)answer, LESS SATURATED is what it needs to be.

They'll end up at navy blue soon, and be no closer to what they should be, saturation-wise.

I hate to say it, but I may agree with those who say it's worse now. They basically DID THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF WHAT NEEDED TO HAPPEN.

Seriously, they need Koike himself to supervise, as a painter he certainly understands the concept exactly---but the guys actually mixing up the plastic dyes etc sure don't seem to.

The revised/shopped pics/artwork do get pretty close, so they seem to know WHAT they want. They just seem to lack the knowledge on how to get it. (because making it lighter or darker isn't going to move it in the direction it needs---brightness vs saturation)

(hue/chroma is rarely gotten wrong, that's 100x easier for people to understand)

Just to give some quantification to this, here are some actual values to make it easier to compare.

Here is the color they started with on the original prototype along with the RGB and CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black):

http://www.color-hex.com/color/004fc5

RGB - 0:79:197

CMYK - 100:60:0:23

Here is the color they ended up with in the recent photo:

http://www.color-hex.com/color/1a377d

RGB - 22:55:125

CMYK - 79:56:0:51

Here is what they should be going for (using color picker at a point I felt was representative of the color from a screen grab on M0 Ep 2 14:02)

http://www.color-hex.com/color/537aa3

RGB - 83:122:163

CMYK - 49:25:0:36

I think the CMYK values are easier to compare since it separates the darkness levels from the colors.

Based on that, they actually did seem to get closer, but they are still way off the mark. I don't know why it is so hard for them to identify colors though.

Is finding combinations of plastic dyes harder to do than mixing paint? I can pick a color, go to home depot and they have something that can scan the color and find the exact mix of colors needed to match what I'm looking for.

I'm sure it's more money related then paint, probably more expensive for different dyes ect.

There's no way guys as smart as them can't figure out how to get color info from images.

Maybe, but you would think it would cost more to have a much more saturated color than less. In the end, aren't they still mixing primary colors in order to reach the end result?

Meh. people buy DYRL valks like gangbusters and you can't really prove it's grey or darker white. Ultimately it's a stylistic choice.

Much like you can find 4 or 5 different shots of Optimus prime and people argue about the right color... it doesn't matter if it's close.

I think it's just a few peoples opinion being blown way, way out of proportion because they feel like experts for whatever reason (per usual) If a few shades of blue keep you from buying, so be it. It's your money. I'll be swooshing all day.

If the paint was shitty and poorly applied, or they used a cheaper paint process.. I could get behind that. But a shade here or there isn't a big deal.

This is an awesome valk.

Edited by Gakken85

Meh. people buy DYRL valks like gangbusters and you can't really prove it's grey or darker white. Ultimately it's a stylistic choice.

Well, there are several differences here. DYRL valks were hand drawn and colored and so it is hard to really determine the proper color to use. As for Optimus Prime, he is pretty much using primary colors so getting close to that is easy, not to mention there have been so many variations of him for G1 alone between comics, cartoons, etc. I've seen him drawn all sorts of different ways and that's not even taking colors into account.

Much like you can find 4 or 5 different shots of Optimus prime and people argue about the right color... it doesn't matter if it's close.

Key words there is "if it's close." In this case, it's nowhere near close. We don't need exact, but we want close. It would be like saying it's close enough if the red on Optimus Prime was magenta, and the blue was cornflower blue, which is about as far off from what you expect Prime's colors should be as the colors on the VF-0D prototype are from what they ought to be. Coincidentally, even though I picked a random blue from my head, I looked it up to get a better visualization of the color and if they made the VF-0D cornflower blue, I would say it was pretty close.

For the VF-0D, it is CG modeled with colors set on the textures. It is pretty much a definitive source that we can base our comparisons on. When there are differences in color in the show, it is because of changes of lighting like dawn vs midday, external sources of light like explosions, etc. But they don't go and change the colors of the textures of valk itself, that is handled and computed when they render the images. So really, there are hard, definitive values they can reference and it is disappointing to some of us that they have thus far been unable to come close.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

Guest davidwhangchoi

shade doesn't matter = doesn't care = not a real macross fan = an average toy fan.

i guess you probably won't won't care or notice what shade of black is your suit (if you brought it at Kmart for 50 bucks. but if you paid 500 you might...)

sorry, but if people care for TRU mp prime vs. takara mp prime because he's a shade lighter and will sell TRU prime just to get Takara's then

colors do matter. that's for a 130-230 toy.

when a toy is 300 plus = I CARE

Insert cliche response: "guys, i think everyone should relax and wait till arcadia shows something more..." lol

Guys, look at the larger pic Reijav reposted. The pics in the back show the color they're shooting for, as does the giant banner on Arcadia's Twitter account.

Shame on you, Mommar, for interjecting common sense in all the colorful bickering! :p

There is an inherent downside to this kind of open communication from engineers. Since we are seeing the process from prototype to test type to retail, we are also seeing a few of the steps related to the major changes. For complex figures, this introduces a lot of supposition and speculation on what is essentially a very limited point of view. The paint may be a final finishing step that Arcadia is waiting on until it gets the color exactly right. In the meantime, the company is using the currently painted prototype for all colored photographs. Who knows, outside of Arcadia?

I'm not going to fuss on Arcadia because they are still using an old prototype for color photos. I think they deserve my patience instead of my knee-jerk reaction to the things Mr. K shares on his twitter feed.