Bandai DX YF-29 Isamu Coloring

Tochiro

Not even the Cannon Fodder Tan of the VF-25A?

Nope, sorry, I mean no offense to the people who like this I just find the frontier mecha design too "super robot Bandai" for my taste and battroid seems very uninspiring. The frontier mecha is the most blatant and lazy designs to sell toys ever, VF-25, VF-27, VF-29, they are all the same fuselage, just different wings, head and little things here and there, like how every Gundam is the same but different because of the color and a shield, might as well call them 25A/B/C/D/E/F/G like the VF-1, instead of the number that denoted a different aircraft.

I guess the only design I'm sorta liking are the VF-171 and VF-30 and only on fighter mode because battroid is more of the same.

That show display picture is not doing it any favors.

To be fair... SDF Macross had the VF-1 in different paint schemes with different heads. While Mac Frontier does have some similar mechs, they are different and we were given an in-universe explanation as to why they're similar (being based on the same prototype). The 171 is also a totally different beast, especially in battroid mode. All that said, it took me a long time to warm up to the Frontier mechs. The battroid modes looked a little too much like an angry insect to me... kinda like a praying mantis or something. I still prefer a bit blockier battroid mode.

I know, they are all based on the YF-24, but since when do you base 3 final aircraft on one prototype that present 3 different performance envelopes? Bandai lazyness, instead of making 3 new valks they made the same one 3 times with a lame excuse. I think a better explanation would have been that they are all prototypes with a YF designation following an specific requested pattern

Macross 7 was made to sell toys too, it featured the VF-1, VF-11, VF-17, VF-19, VF-22, VF-5000, Batlle 7 and the Varuata modified VF-14, but all the valks were completely different. By Bandai Frontier reasoning you might have call the VF-19P a VF-23 or something and the VT-1C a VF-5. The VF-4 and VF-5000 are supposed to use many parts of a VF-1, but instead of getting a similar looking valk we got one of the most radical VF's designs in the VF-4 and the VF-5000 one of the most beautiful. Even Macross II had the decency to make the Metal Siren an ugly mofo, but a different ugly mofo from the VF-2.

Imagine if Bandai had made Macross 7, we would've gotten the VF-19 six times and we'd be up to the VF-40 designation, if you think about it, in Frontier, we are getting the VF-19 in 3 different flavors, the brief-25/27/19 borrow so much from the 19 that Apple should sue them.

Anyway on topic. I think I may cancel my preorder so someone who will actually enjoy it can get it, I've really tried to like them but the more I look into them the more I get annoyed.

I apologize if my rant may offend anyone, not my intention.

Edit: we even saw the VA-3C in Macross 7.

Edited by Valkyrie addict

I think all the macross mecha have that insect look, eg vf-1j head and especially the vf-0s it even has mandibles, i think kawamori knew what he was doing when making the battroid head design to compliment the visible wings and head antenna/cannons colour scheme is also insect like on some of the other frontier valks

Everything gets smoother and curvier through the design evolution, cars a prime example of that, to a certain extent. and then everyone gets tired of it and the "retro" styling comes back. Again, cars are another example of that (Mustang, Camaro, Charger, etc)

I imagine its difficult to get too far away from orig design too much once people are familiar with it or else it will lose the reason people are interested in it in first place, wonderfull evolution in these valks tho i think they have run out of where to go with the evolution of the head design including this one as they seem to be looking more cluttered and less funtional

I know, they are all based on the YF-24, but since when do you base 3 final aircraft on one prototype that present 3 different performance envelopes? Bandai lazyness, instead of making 3 new valks they made the same one 3 times with a lame excuse. I think a better explanation would have been that they are all prototypes with a YF designation following an specific requested pattern

There aren't three production aircraft produced off a single prototype. The VF-25 and VF-27 are final designs ostensibly competing to be the next main-line fighter after the VF-171. They're both based off of the 'latest' Variable Fighter design, the YF-24, and thus use it's tech and base design as a template. They're even built by different companies, with some clear design differences. Interestingly both are designed more for 'ace' pilots, lacking the easy-of-use of the 171.

The YF-29 is a prototype for an even newer design, based off of the VF-25 with the Tornado armaments. I don't know if it ever makes it to production (VF designation) status. I'd also guess that the YF-30 is a variation on the 29, designed as missle-boat companion craft to the 29's turret design.

That said I sort of agree that the Frontier-era models have a certain aesthetic, being very lithe/lanky in B-mode. I also think most of their Gerwalk forms look kind of awkward, what with the long nose and the rear wing bulk. The 171 is actually one of my favorites because it's different, what with the delta-wing design, the bulkier arms and shoulders, and the shorter nose.

And now the original reason for my post: Does anyone know how long the pre-orders will be up? I really want to get this guy, as I like the 29's design and think it looks far, far, better in Isamu's color than the original Alto or even the 30th's 1S colors. But I don't have the funds on hand ATM, will this still be up in a few weeks? Months? All the way until near it's release date?

If I use Nippon-Yassan, can I pay for the item any time between reserving it and receiving the payment request, or only at one of those times? I don't want to be caught off-guard by a payment request, and I have a terrible memory (which is why I usually pay at the time of ordering).

Nippon-Yasan: Yes, you can pay at any time in between. For similar reasons, and to avoid crushing my wallet at the end of the year with other things, I decided to pay for the YF-29 early too. I had to wait until the end of the week, though, so I reserved my spot first and then paid.

Edited by technoblue

I know, they are all based on the YF-24, but since when do you base 3 final aircraft on one prototype that present 3 different performance envelopes? Bandai lazyness, instead of making 3 new valks they made the same one 3 times with a lame excuse. I think a better explanation would have been that they are all prototypes with a YF designation following an specific requested pattern.

I can't argue that the series was made with marketing in mind, but really, there are definitely parallels in the real world. Reminds me a lot of the F-5 design lineage.. You had the F-5A Freedom Fighter, F-5E Tiger II, F-20, and X-29 design progression: base model (in several variations), upgraded base model, advanced model, and experimental prototype built with a mashup of parts from other aircraft (with forward-swept wings, and the same designation number even :p). We're just missing the dedicated trainer variant at this point, to fill in the spot for the T-38 (or the VT-1).

I think development trees like the VF-24/25/27/29 happen more often than one might initially think. Off the top of my head, the F-14, F-15, F-16, and F-17/F-18 all have had pretty similar design developments (or at least proposed developments), and now you've got the JSF trying the same thing from the get-go. Then you can toss in the all the Mirage and Tornado development trees too. And let's not forget the development dodecahedron that encompasses the Su-27 family. :lol:

It just makes sense, aircraft companies love re-using proven design components. It not only saves money on development and production, but it reduces risk and cost for buyers as well, since you may already own support equipment that will be forwards compatible, and you may already have people trained to work on the components.

Anyway, back to the actual topic... I put in an order for two, I just hope it doesn't come due until after Christmas. :p

Assuming you mean the rotation point at the engines, I just coated the outside flat surfaces of the wings with something to tighten them up while level. The hinges are still floppy when not centered, but they hit a nice solid point when they're level now.

You can also try sticking electrical tape to the surface that Chronocidal points out, as a non-permanent alternative.

I tried to bring myself to get this one since it's Isamu and a Bandai exclusive that everyone can finally order but even that cool hero scheme I love can't sell me this design... damn my valkaddiction has weakened over time

It's just the default yf-29. Theres a non-hero version of almost every valk in macross 30 and they a default low-viz scheme like that :D

Yeah, the default low-viz schemes are great. I always use them if available. I'd buy that if Bandai made it as well.

Graham

That default scheme does look pretty good, but I have to wonder if a toy version would look anywhere as good or just plain bland as it would be solid gloss plastic grays which would be lacking the sort of textures you see in the game model that make it look good (to me at least).

While Isamu is nice and I have it pre-ordered, I want this more than any other YF-29 coloring :p

attachicon.gifWP_001298.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_001294.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_001297.jpg

Curious how the pics show the omission of the super part that attaches in front of the wing engine. I kind of like the way this looks, the super part just makes the wing engines look heavier than it needs to.

Negative, not with the yellow stripes and massive skull.

I was referring to the Ozma YF-29 variant. While it has some minor yellow highlights around the intakes and the skull on the spine the skull is really small (not that it stands out much anyway) and it's largely just really dark colors. Looks pretty low viz to me.

Curious how the pics show the omission of the super part that attaches in front of the wing engine. I kind of like the way this looks, the super part just makes the wing engines look heavier than it needs to.

Those front pods are only used outside the atmosphere. They're in Macross 30 as well, but there's actually no situation where you can equip them, since the only mission that takes place outside an atmosphere is the opening one, and you're locked into using a VF-25 for that.

I'm pretty sure the YF-29 you fight in the opening has them equipped though, and you see them in some of the splash images during loading screens.

I was referring to the Ozma YF-29 variant. While it has some minor yellow highlights around the intakes and the skull on the spine the skull is really small (not that it stands out much anyway) and it's largely just really dark colors. Looks pretty low viz to me.

Just being majority dark or grey doesn't make a plane low viz. Yamato's "low viz" Skull Squadron releases are not low viz (only their 1/48 low viz1 really was) The yellow will stick out from and be pretty visible. This is why the majority of fighter planes come in light / dark ghost grey and the only times you ever see strong yellows, reds or whites on a combat-ready plane are CAG planes, at least in the USN.

Example of low vis vs high-vis in the navy

post-25-0-62628100-1375316348_thumb.jpg

F-14 Low Viz Jolly Rogers :D

post-25-0-38192900-1375316642_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duymon

Those front pods are only used outside the atmosphere. They're in Macross 30 as well, but there's actually no situation where you can equip them, since the only mission that takes place outside an atmosphere is the opening one, and you're locked into using a VF-25 for that.

I'm pretty sure the YF-29 you fight in the opening has them equipped though, and you see them in some of the splash images during loading screens.

Thanks for the explanation! There was a pic in a Japanese review of the yf-29 where the front pods weren't equipped, and this whole time I was thinking they left them out by mistake :(