Arcadia YF-19 coming in 2014

SCOOPUDA!

It's funny how not too long ago people were speculating this was the end of the Golden Age of Macross toys... between the V3 YF-19 and sudden appearance of Bandai alternate schemes for the VF-25 and Isamu 29 it appears we may be getting a new round instead.

Problem is we have all of these alt scheme visions in our eyes. Mr. K already said it's better to have a base color and let people modify as they like. I'm not sure if that means only one or two color schemes or that they're going to leave tampo off and let people paint or add decals for extra bits.

Edited by Mommar

Guest davidwhangchoi

It's "gold" to certain parts of the U.S. though. Yes, we know the actual color is yellow but we still refer to it as "gold." It's symbolic and cultural. Example, our American football team the Pittsburgh Steelers. I grew up in that city and we've always referred to them as the black and gold even though we very well knew the actual color is yellow.

I'm a 9ers fan... we call gold... gold. Besides, we're talking about paint on a jet, not a high school mascot. How is this conversation happening? Sorry, I'll stop.

My guess for price: same as a 17D with Super Parts MSRP.

some yellow in art is coded gold, (certain mustard yellows). LA Lakers are known as purple and gold. as well as the Vikes, but the 19S look more towards highlight (fluorescent) yellows. i can understand both views... of the US tradition of "gold" as well as the accuracy of naming it yellow.

I think we all agree that we're talking about Arcadia milking their new YF-19 1/60 molds, not Bandai making their own version to compete directly.

I also wish that Arcadia will visit this VF-X2 scheme this time around:

Yes, please!

Anyway, the comments about Bandai making their own version was more about the Isamu YF-29 I think. Not the same thing exactly, but close.

I kinda don't care, I'm buying multiples of both anyway. ^_^

I think we all agree that we're talking about Arcadia milking their new YF-19 1/60 molds, not Bandai making their own version to compete directly.

I also wish that Arcadia will visit this VF-X2 scheme this time around:

Luis_VF-19A.PNG

My bad, I assumed Bandai from that post because I did not know that Arcadia had Macross-F licensing. But yeah if I would have paid more attention to the part where Charger69 said "Hey Arcadia!" and talk of licensing issue LOL.

If anything, he'd be flying a reproduction Fire Valk. :p

I think one of the flashbacks showed him in VF-171-style pilot gear though, so unless that's standard issue for everyone, he may have been flying one of those.

I'm pretty sure he was shown flying a VF-171.

I have little interest in an Emerald Force -19S. I do not like the yellow striping on the bright blue much. It'd have to be VERY cheap for me to consider it over the F. I also like the F's head better---the S is just "too much" with the 5 lasers. Really, I think the ONLY good-looking 4-laser head is the original VF-1. The VF-25S pulls it off ok, but I generally like 1/2-lasered heads.

I have little interest in an Emerald Force -19S. I do not like the yellow striping on the bright blue much. It'd have to be VERY cheap for me to consider it over the F. I also like the F's head better---the S is just "too much" with the 5 lasers. Really, I think the ONLY good-looking 4-laser head is the original VF-1. The VF-25S pulls it off ok, but I generally like 1/2-lasered heads.

I think the white on blue is more attractive than the Yellow, but to be fair the blue on the VF-19's are not bright at all. It's a pretty deep blue actually.

Definitely, it was only once the blue was confirmed as being so dark that I decided to get a 19S in the first place (sooooo much better than the ridiculous color used on the Hi-Metal 1/100 one). Just in general though, I like the blue/white better, since it just looks like Max's plane. :p

Anyway, not sure why we're on that subject.

I do hope Arcadia comes out with a few schemes for the new YF-19 though. For all the publicity the Supernova schemes got when they got published in those model magazines, I'm still amazed Yamato didn't try and release those to begin with. Considering the VF-19s had some of the Supernova decals included on their respective sheets, I really hope that hurdle is past, and we can get the actual schemes, or at least a blank white YF-19 to decal up.

Knowing you're wrong doesn't make it right.

Screw the Niners! Black and GOLD for life! :lol:

...just sayin, don't mind us if we call it gold. It's just the way it is! ;)

Edited by xrentonx

I'd buy that for a dollar!... :)

Me too! That's a really cool custom job. Damn, I wish those pictures were larger!

Edited by xrentonx

Well, once you hit a specific point in technology, specs really don't mean much. There's only so much something can be improved, and sometimes, once you hit a high point, you realize that there was no reason to go that high in the first place.

For example, current military aircraft. Used to be, everyone was so obsessed with speed records and such. Now, people are realizing, there's really no reason an aircraft absolutely needs to go mach 2, because stealth has taken the place of being able to get away fast. Modern planes still go supersonic, but they might not be as maneuverable or have the same top speeds.

Would the VF-19 actually be much of a downgrade from the VF-25? Looking at the technical specifications of the base fighters (without armor or super parts), they seem pretty evenly matched.

I think one of the main features and advantages of the Messiah is its versatility with Armor parts, Super parts, Tornado, etc. VF-19 doesn't have that range of upgrades.

Well, once you hit a specific point in technology, specs really don't mean much. There's only so much something can be improved, and sometimes, once you hit a high point, you realize that there was no reason to go that high in the first place.

For example, current military aircraft. Used to be, everyone was so obsessed with speed records and such. Now, people are realizing, there's really no reason an aircraft absolutely needs to go mach 2, because stealth has taken the place of being able to get away fast. Modern planes still go supersonic, but they might not be as maneuverable or have the same top speeds.

This is definitely a fair point.

I think one of the main features and advantages of the Messiah is its versatility with Armor parts, Super parts, Tornado, etc. VF-19 doesn't have that range of upgrades.

This is definitely a fair point.

It's also fair to say that when it comes to inner Atmosphere avionics, our current aircraft hits the limits of

Human mechanical limits. The next upgrade will to be all unmanned fighters, until we eventually travel to space.

The great thing about Macross has always been attention to detail.

My opinion would be, the VF-19's reverse swept wings have been tested and been found not to

Be as effective as Standard wing, and Diamond wind design.

The VF-25 would handle much better in an atmosphere. The YF-30 takes it one step further

With the solid diamond wing like the F-22.

Back on topic, the VF-19 would be a whale to fly, heavy and way to reactive on controls.

It's still a beautiful bird, and I'll buy one, but the VF-25 would easily be a upgrade, at least in a real sky.

no matter how advanced the F-22 may be, it'll always look like ass, IMHO.

AFAIAC, the damned thing was at least partly responsible for killing off the venerable ol' F-14, and that alone is enough to condemn it straight to hell.

you kids today and your ugly-ass fancy bleeding-edge jet plane designs... :angry:

Edited by Shaorin

AFAIAC, the damned thing was at least partly responsible for killing off the venerable ol' F-14, and that alone is enough to condemn it straight to hell.

you kids today and your ugly-ass fancy bleeding-edge jet plane designs... :angry:

the F-14 was suffering huge mechanical problems, from crashes right off the carrier decks to mid-flight failure.

The F-14 replacement testing had been going on for awhile. It was just too primitive and way to expensive to retrofit.

You have to see a F-22 in person to see the sexiness, not to mention.. Thrust vector.. it's like half of a Valk foot.

The main cause of the F-14's demise was a mix of things, but overwhelmingly that the cost of maintaining it was ludicrous compared with newer aircraft. One of my profs gave me the rough estimate of what it was costing to maintain it in terms of manpower.. something like 80-100 hours of maintenance hours per flight hour. That equates to whatever dollar-per-hour rate the mechanics were getting for the work.

It's really also why you'll never see an actual valk without over-technology. The ridiculous maintenance would kill such a project before it ever even was contracted. You thought F-14s had a lot of moving parts... :p

Would the VF-19 actually be much of a downgrade from the VF-25? Looking at the technical specifications of the base fighters (without armor or super parts), they seem pretty evenly matched.

I thought the engines for VF-25 has 2-3x more throughput than the ones in the VF-19. I remember reading that and wondering why is there such a large leap.

I actually like the F-22 and F-35, saw the former a few times in airshows and am mighty impressed. Don't think these are actually responsible for killing the tomcat though.

While it's true that fighters aren't constantly trying to hit a higher top speed the newer ones are definitely able to stay at higher speeds and accomplish more while in that envelope. Also the reason why there was a race for higher mach back then is the high speed bombers being designed and built during the cold war. If say china were to reveal a mach 4 strategic bomber tomorrow you can bet your ass skunkworks will go into overdrive. Well that and the missile defense teams.

To add to modern fighters speed, the F-22, it's also about better efficiency.

In the 80, supersonic speed was only possible for a few minutes before severely compromising fuel and range, modern fighters like the F-22 can achieve supersonic cruise, giving better fuel efficiency at high speeds and range. I'm not sure if the EF-2000, F-35, Rafale are capable if this, I think they are.

The F-14A had a lot of troubles from the beginning, most infamously the engine compressor stall on high maneuverability that I think was finally fixed on F-14D Supertomcat. The tomcat was originally designed for long range interception of Russian bombers with the AIM-54 Phoenix missile, each one of those puppies went for 1 million dollars and the tomcat could carry 6 of them. Although the Phoenix was never successfully used in combat, I think it was used once and missed (not sure). The AIM-7 sparrow was the medium range missile but a constant lock was needed, with the later AIM-120 AMRAAM that is fire and forget and longer range (than the sparrow), made the use of the Phoenix even less necessary. With the Cold War ending the F-14 initial ability was not needed anymore, which is why later iteration, as in F-14B, were fitted for air to ground and reconnaissance despite the F-14 being primarily an interceptor.

Like it was mentioned before, the Tomcat was old and too expensive to continue using, the Tomcat was replaced by the F/A-18D Superhornet which is awesome!

I like the F-22 design, the ATF, program was great to follow. Now, the F-35, that thing can't be any uglier or bland looking.

On topic: I want YF-19 assembly kits!!

Edited by Valkyrie addict

This guy?

yf-19-weapon.gif

It doesn't appear to be mentioned in the information releases we've seen. I would love to see one made. Maybe an after market custom kit?

As an add-on for Battroid that looks cool but I cannot see how they could ever make it work in fighter on a transforming toy. There's no room back there to fit it.

The more I look at the lineart for the 19's Gerwalk the more I'm convinced the best way too keep it from being both front heavy and looking more like the lineart would be to actually have the intakes slide forward towards the cockpit. Obviously it's a drawing so perspective is skewed but the neck looks slightly shortened between the two modes. If it slid back a little that would move the center of gravity to almost the middle of the plane. I always thought, especially of the new VF-19 toys, that it seems like the neck is just too long. Actually implementing that... that's another story. Probably harder than my comment on the forearm cannons would be.

That would actually be a downgrade for Ozma...... But I do wonder what did Ozma fly before the 25 and now the 29?

Ozma was only ever in the VF-25S and the Ex-gear.

**Off Topic**

Before joining SMS and taking a VF-25 Ozma was at some point in a VF-171 and was a NUNs pilot. Just rewatch the Anime and you'll see him in one :D

Looking at some new pictures posted, looks like the fighter mode is being compromised by the mecha. For the mecha to be short, now in fighter model the legs have to be extended from the knee joints. It changes the flow line in fighter mode.

I probably don't know what I'm talking about, and hope I'm wrong. :lol:

don't worry too much about it. if this new 19 is anything at all like the Yammie 19k/F/S/P series, then everything is all basically already taken care of,

and we're all pretty much guaranteed the closest to overall perfection as any 19 series variable toy or model is likely to ever get.

or, to put in simpler terms; Have Faith in Mr. K... :)

Edited by Shaorin