My thoughts on the comments that people keep bringing up about Rey.

People seem to be taking issue with how quickly Rey learned how to use the force and how she managed to put up a fight so well against Kylo.

1.Its made very clear from the begining that she knows the history of the Rebellion and the war with the Empire she knew Solo was a General, so its very likely she's also heard stories of Luke's abilities(force pull, altering minds etc). The difference between her and Luke's learning is she believes in the force from the start, while Luke had to "unlearn what you have learned".

2.It took all of about five minutes for Luke to learn how to block laser blasts blind using the force in episode IV.

3.Rey obviously had melee combat training and is a skilled fighter given how she took down the thugs on Jakku who tried to steal BB8.

4.Despite being strong in the force Kylo doesn't seem to be all that skilled combat wise lashing out in blind rage rather than any refined skill. I'm not even sure his lightsaber is completed correctly. He may very well still be at an apprentice level skill wise. Snoke even comments himself that maybe it is time to finish Kylo's training. There's also the fact that he was wounded by Chewie's bowcaster so it should be no surprise a decently trained, and uninjured fighter got the best of him.

Edited by renegadeleader1

Loved it.

Easily my favorite Star Wars film.

Can't wait to see this another 2 or 3 times in the theater.

-b.

Just a one sentence thought about the movie, but please don't click the spoiler if you haven't seen the movie or care at all about being spoiled.

Can't tell which had the stronger emotional impact for me, saying goodbye to Han or hello again to Luke.

Just a one sentence thought about the movie, but please don't click the spoiler if you haven't seen the movie or care at all about being spoiled.

Can't tell which had the stronger emotional impact for me, saying goodbye to Han or hello again to Luke.

Definitely the former, as

many of us relate to Han more than Luke.

Definitely the former, as

many of us relate to Han more than Luke.

Han's death didn't really hit home for me until Rey sat in Han's seat in the Falcon.

I was hoping that they could end it with the Falcon disappearing into the distance. Would've been very ESB.

Edited by GMK

My thoughts on the comments that people keep bringing up about Rey.

People seem to be taking issue with how quickly Rey learned how to use the force and how she managed to put up a fight so well against Kylo.

1.Its made very clear from the begining that she knows the history of the Rebellion and the war with the Empire she knew Solo was a General, so its very likely she's also heard stories of Luke's abilities(force pull, altering minds etc). The difference between her and Luke's learning is she believes in the force from the start, while Luke had to "unlearn what you have learned".

2.It took all of about five minutes for Luke to learn how to block laser blasts blind using the force in episode IV.

3.Rey obviously had melee combat training and is a skilled fighter given how she took down the thugs on Jakku who tried to steal BB8.

4.Despite being strong in the force Kylo doesn't seem to be all that skilled combat wise lashing out in blind rage rather than any refined skill. I'm not even sure his lightsaber is completed correctly. He may very well still be at an apprentice level skill wise. Snoke even comments himself that maybe it is time to finish Kylo's training. There's also the fact that he was wounded by Chewie's bowcaster so it should be no surprise a decently trained, and uninjured fighter got the best of him.

Rey's obviously the next big winner in the Jedi "American Idol" talent crucible/lotto (although I have a pet theory about that also). That to me explains why she has great luck, piloting, reflexes, and innate combat abilities. I don't see why people have a problem with Rey's powers suddenly manifesting themselves. Again, since Abram's is copying episode 4, all he's done is accelerated the "Luke discovers the Force" phase so that by the end of Episode 7 Rey is well on her way to carrying the Jedi torch.

As for which moment had the greater impact on me, I've never been a fan of Luke, and I certainly can't relate to people who play pivotal roles using their special talents; I'm just a regular guy with an old, crappy vehicle just trying to make it through life like 'Solo, so yes-Han's death had a much greater impact. And, if I can complain about Episode 7 a little more, Han's death was anti-climactic considering his legendary status in the story. I felt cheated, similar to James T. Kirk's death in Generations.

Edited by myk

They had Han, the guy who didn't believe in the Force, pull a Kenobi but a Kenobi for both the dark and light side since Rey and Ren both witnessed or perpetrated his death. I suppose they could've let him die of old age but that would've been boring and not the right way for a scoundrel to end up. I like the way he died, blowing crap up, trying to reunite his family together but getting cut down by his own son BEN. He's definitely going to be used as motivation for Luke to come back from being a hermit and stop his former apprentice.

Still get chills thinking about when Rey holds up Lukes saber for the forest fight. Being groomed to take over the Falcon right from the get go, the orphan left behind on the desert planet(is she Luke's kid?). The Force is strong in this one. Ren may have stopped a blaster shot but Rey kicked his ass. Need a Rey SH Figuart now.

Yeah, the reaction time depends on anyone's view. For me, it was when Chewie roared in shock.

Yep

Really, Chewie, Rey and Finn all had 'appropriate' reactions for their respective characters - but I got pissed, and then immediately sad. Not so much because of how well, or not, the scene was written or shot but because Han F'ing Solo was dead. So many of the best OT moments involved him and it just sucked to see him killed or dead - in any manner.

-b.

Yep

Really, Chewie, Rey and Finn all had 'appropriate' reactions for their respective characters - but I got pissed, and then immediately sad. Not so much because of how well, or not, the scene was written or shot but because Han F'ing Solo was dead. So many of the best OT moments involved him and it just sucked to see him killed or dead - in any manner.

-b.

I agree, plus

how he gently caressed his son's face....the man that just killed him....one last time before he fell, wow. I'm tearing up just writing this.

Speaking of everyone's reactions being appropriate, now that I've seen the movie Twice, it still bothers me that Chewie and Leia just walk right past each other with out acknowledging much less consoling each other. Personally, I think that was a miss step.

Chris

I agree, plus

how he gently caressed his son's face....the man that just killed him....one last time before he fell, wow. I'm tearing up just writing this.

Speaking of everyone's reactions being appropriate, now that I've seen the movie Twice, it still bothers me that Chewie and Leia just walk right past each other with out acknowledging much less consoling each other. Personally, I think that was a miss step.

Chris

Well I totally missed that part, I'll look out for it on my next viewing. But yes I'd agree that was a huge missed opportunity. You'd think considering they lost their BFF and husband/father of child there would be some type of acknowledgement and consolation of the loss.

-b.

I agree, plus

Chris

I wouldn't call it a misstep. Perhaps both Chewie and Leia were simply too shocked to console each other (at least on-screen).

Seeing it on Monday. Read the spoilers month ago. I have a question about the First Order, The Resistance and the Republic.

From what I read after the Emperor's death the (New) Republic made a treaty with the Imperials where the Empire agreed to stay in their corner of the galaxy. The First Order grew out of this. The Resistance is there to resist the First Order. Isn't the Resistance's existence an act of war?

If a treaty was signed for everyone to stay within their borders wouldn't the Republic be breaking that treaty by creating and or supporting a Resistance that I assume operates within the "Empire's" borders? It would likely be enough justification for the First Order to go on the march.

Seeing it on Monday. Read the spoilers month ago. I have a question about the First Order, The Resistance and the Republic.

From what I read after the Emperor's death the (New) Republic made a treaty with the Imperials where the Empire agreed to stay in their corner of the galaxy. The First Order grew out of this. The Resistance is there to resist the First Order. Isn't the Resistance's existence an act of war?

If a treaty was signed for everyone to stay within their borders wouldn't the Republic be breaking that treaty by creating and or supporting a Resistance that I assume operates within the "Empire's" borders? It would likely be enough justification for the First Order to go on the march.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=38403&p=1242819

Yes.

The movie makes it very clear that the Republic supporting the resistance would be an act of war, which is why officially they don't. There are factions in the Rrepublic that fund the resistance, but the Republic on the whole they turn a blind eye to what the proxy resistance does. This tacit support is what General Hux of the First Order uses in his speech as an excuse for firing Starkiller base on what was the current Republic capital.

Speaking of the First Order, nothing about them has the same projection of power as the Empire and they may very well be one of many Imperial successor states. Sure on the surface they look like them, but they lack the ability to wage outright war with the republic and its fleet. It's superweapon while powerful feels more like an act of desperation than anything else. Instead of building a mobile deathstar they build a lightly defended installation into an existing planet that is powered by syphoning power from that systems sun which can only fire two shots before being rendered usless. Had the Republic known about Starkiller there is no doubt they would have smashed it in minutes with its fleet.

On Leia,

According to what I've read, the novelization makes clear that Leia is considered a fanatic within the Senate because of her continued push to eradicate the remaining Imperial forces.

On Starkiller Base,

confirmed it can move. Well, could.

Edited by Duke Togo

I forget who said it, but regarding Leia...

whoever said they wanted Leia should have more of a reaction when she felt Han's death, the new Visual Dictionary may actually have an answer to that. It says that Leia never gives in to grief, and that Luke thinks this may be how the Force interacts with her. I mean think about it, she never really freaks out...even when Alderaan is destroyed. She's a pretty controlled lady, and according to cannon now, it sounds like the Force is how/why.

I agree with what others have said, though, that I hope other media isn't going to be required to get the full picture. It's great to give background info ect, but not if it is going to required to truly understand the plot.

Chris

I'm loving the discussion, very enlightening for a movie that left me hungry to understand more of it. However, I had a minor quibble:

Kylo Ren killing Han seemed like it went over too easily for Kylo. He was admittedly torn over the action, but displayed no remorse or follow-up consideration over having just taken such a significant step in his "training." Does the novel expand on this?

On the same character:

I loved the scene with the terrified officer letting him know they'd lost their target. It painted such a different picture versus how Vader would have reacted.

Regarding another new addition:

Is Snoke just using giant holograms to look scary? Is it maybe a nod to Vader kneeling before a giant hologram of Palpatine's head, just with some embellishment? Or is Snoke really large?

One last thought:

I hope Finn is given a chance to break out in subsequent films. No doubt Boyega's portrayal was awesome, but the character himself seems perpetually outclassed at everything. The "everyman" is a bit of a new concept in Star Wars, maybe that's why he stuck out so much to me, but I also have some serious suspicion that he's meant for something greater than plucky tag along narrator.

Snoke is

7+ feet tall.

Andy Serkis, the master of CGI characters from Gollum to King Kong, plays the still-unseen Supreme Leader Snoke who has scenes with Kylo Ren. “All I can say is that I’m involved in it,” he has said. But Neal Scanlan, chief of creature and droid effects, told PEOPLE, “This character is much better executed as a CGI character. That’s just a practical reality when he’s 7-foot-something tall; he’s very, very thin.”

Edited by Duke Togo

Just got done seeing it, few things slightly bugging me, but still overall awesome. Really can't express how happy I was with the characters themselves, they were fun and funny when they needed to be, something that the prequels never seemed to figure out.

As far as the loss of Han, I guess I saw that coming, and it really wasn't a surprise, but the way it happened did set the tone for the next few movies, I think.

Up to that point, Kylo Ren definitely came of as dangerous, but the way people treated him behind his back was both telling and hilarious. The way he tended to go into hissy fits over not getting his way made him come off rather Anakin like, but the fact that even his own troops knew to leave him alone kind of made it work, and felt like a tongue in cheek backhand at Anakin's character.

The thing that did feel weird was that Han seemed so eager to eat up his words, and hope to bring him home. I understand it, but it felt out of character for Han to be that trusting.

I'm looking forward to the next ones, and finding out where Rey came from. It wouldn't surprise me if she actually is Ben's sister, but I still wonder if she's Luke's daughter instead. Unless Ben was gone when Rey was born, I have a hard time thinking he wouldn't remember having a sister that close in age.

Saw the movie twice today. First in IMAX 3D and then on a 2D IMAX dome screen. Wow....LOL..that's a lot of Star Wars! I'm not a huge fan of 3D, but it wasn't bad. Some scenes were cool in 3D. I can't really recommended the dome IMAX..its just too big and stretched out. I'm glad I went to the normal one first. Personally I think normal IMAX 2D is the best way to go.

Moving on to my two cents...I really liked it. It's Star Wars through and through. It's not completely perfect, I agree with most of the nit picky points discussed prior to this post, but it has enough emotion and new good new stuff along with good action to satisfy most. Thumbs up here. I'll be there for Episode 8.

Edited by derex3592

After having seen this three times, I have a question about something which I think I observed in the very last scene:

Maybe it's just me, but there's something slightly suspicious about one of the stones near where Luke is standing. It almost looks like a grave marker.

Anyone else pick up on this? It may be absolutely nothing other than my imagination.

Also, a few slight nitpicks/curiosities:

Why are Finn's boots black once he arrives at Rey's outpost? Shouldn't they still be white? Even if he did step into the flames of the wreckage for a very few seconds, it wasn't long enough for them to be scorched black. And walking through sand isn't really going to make them that dirty... I looked briefly in the new Visual Dictionary today while in the bookstore, and they look like exactly the same boots - just colored differently.

Is BB-8 really the only one of his kind? If so, how in the world did a pilot wind up with him? If he's one of a kind, how does anyone in the First Order know what a BB Unit is? Maybe "one of a kind" is more an aesthetic thing or a personality/options thing?

I wonder why Luke seems to have downgraded his prosthesis? Maybe as some kind of reminder?

Poor Constable Zuvio appears only in a flashback, and even then, bites the dust. Wonder what that was all about? It certainly didn't look like Jakku - what with the pouring rain - where that scene was occurring.

I really regret that the long-ago rumors that the Resistance had access to a superweapon of their own didn't pan out. I'd have preferred that quite a bit to another "hey, let's fly our fighters at this massive thing and pray that we can blow it up." No bombers, either. Damn shame, as I still really love the Y-Wing.

Speaking of, how the hell many torpedoes do the new X-Wings carry, anyway?! Like, 24 or so...? (I have a terrible movie habit of trying to count shots.)

After having seen this three times, I have a question about something which I think I observed in the very last scene:

Maybe it's just me, but there's something slightly suspicious about one of the stones near where Luke is standing. It almost looks like a grave marker.

Anyone else pick up on this? It may be absolutely nothing other than my imagination.

Also, a few slight nitpicks/curiosities:

Why are Finn's boots black once he arrives at Rey's outpost? Shouldn't they still be white? Even if he did step into the flames of the wreckage for a very few seconds, it wasn't long enough for them to be scorched black. And walking through sand isn't really going to make them that dirty... I looked briefly in the new Visual Dictionary today while in the bookstore, and they look like exactly the same boots - just colored differently.

Is BB-8 really the only one of his kind? If so, how in the world did a pilot wind up with him? If he's one of a kind, how does anyone in the First Order know what a BB Unit is? Maybe "one of a kind" is more an aesthetic thing or a personality/options thing?

I wonder why Luke seems to have downgraded his prosthesis? Maybe as some kind of reminder?

Poor Constable Zuvio appears only in a flashback, and even then, bites the dust. Wonder what that was all about? It certainly didn't look like Jakku - what with the pouring rain - where that scene was occurring.

I really regret that the long-ago rumors that the Resistance had access to a superweapon of their own didn't pan out. I'd have preferred that quite a bit to another "hey, let's fly our fighters at this massive thing and pray that we can blow it up." No bombers, either. Damn shame, as I still really love the Y-Wing.

Speaking of, how the hell many torpedoes do the new X-Wings carry, anyway?! Like, 24 or so...? (I have a terrible movie habit of trying to count shots.)

That grave marker idea actually fits in directly with one of my personal suspicions... That Kylo Ren killed Luke's wife (and Rey's mother) leading to him hiding Rey away. The hand looking ugly might just be due to him being in exile so long, and maybe not being able to repair damage to it.

As far as the boots go, I just assumed Finn would have stripped the armor plates off them to remove any link anyone could make between him and a stormtrooper.. whether the prop matched that exactly I can't say.

Edited by Chronocidal

I saw it this morning with my wife, and greatly enjoyed it.

I didn't happen to notice Finn's boots for color change, although I remember his stepping in the flames, but they remained white in that scene, IIRC. I didn't notice a grave near Luke, being so captivated by the actual location shot. But, I'm also thinking Rey is Luke's daughter, hidden away anonymously to protect her, echoing Leia's life. Chances are, Luke could see the potential in her and the potential danger to her through the Force. Han's impending demise couldn't have been more apparent as he stepped out on the catwalk, esp since they're setting Ren up to be the next Sithlord, who wants to quell his conflict with the light side. What better way to take that step than patricide? Still, I think it would have been a little less jarring if Han had been mortally wounded, but escaped and lived long enough to say his goodbyes. Falling into an abyss just didn't seem a noble end to such a great character.

But overall, this movie felt like Star Wars. The dialog was good, just the right touch of humor, some great creatures, and some cool aerial/space battles. I loved the all the MF acrobatics in the chase scene. Threepio's line about possibly not being recognized b/c of the red arm made me laugh. The R2 situation was kinda odd, but whatever.