So... No one agrees with me that the first spoken line of the movie was too arch and self-referential?

I wouldn't say that I disagree with you, but I don't think I'm bothered by the line either........

Saw it on the 18th . I love it old school, with new blood but emotional and The Millennium Falcon was the highlight of the movie.

As for Rey :

Since almost year I felt that she was Luke's daughter because of the similar traits like Luke, besides being a mechanic and pilot, in the movie there were several strong hints :

1- X-Wing Pilot doll.

2- X-Wing Helmet with the same markings as Luke’s.

3- Living in a fallen AT-AT = Luke took one down in ESB.

4- Han offering her a job = The same with Luke in ANH.

5- Han says to Rey, Chewie likes you = Chewie hugging Luke in ESB.

6- The vision sequence in Maz’s Castle = Luke’s in Dagobah, ESB.

7- Jedi mind trick with the Stormtrooper = Luke with Jabba in ROTJ.

8- Luke’s Theme and when Rey pulled the Lightsaber from the snow = Luke in the ice cave, ESB.

And finally when Rey goes Luke and hands over to him the Lightsaber, when you look closely to at Luke, he had tears in his eyes when saw Rey and she included.

As for Kylo Ren & Stimpy troubled spoiled kid. I knew Han was going to get killed but what made it more emotional, when Chewie roared.

Edited by Black Valkyrie

Just saw it.

A bit conflicted.

I wanted to love it, i mean I must have watched the trailer 100 times but......

............at least the Millennium Falcon kicked ass and the lightsaber action was decent.

Saw it yesterday and loved it. One thing bothers me that I haven't seen asked yet.

The Starkiller Base is fueled by consuming the system's sun before its beam weapon destroys all the planets.

(1) The mass of a star is more then the mass of any planet. How can the base contain all that mass/energy? Say it has a black hole core... but then what about all that gravity? I guess if they can create artificial gravity they should be able to neutralize it as well.

(2) It has trees growing on it. Where do these trees get their light when the base is traveling between systems? I'd expect everything on the surface to dye rather quickly even if the base started its life as a normal planet with plant life.

(3) And finally... once the base has consumed the sun aren't all the planets in the system destined to die a slow death as they freeze? Sure they didn't suffer the quick death of the beam weapon but aren't they just as dead? I guess you can now evacuate.

(4) Or when the base exploded is it supposed to create a new sun for the system? When they take off to go look for Luke I don't recall everyone being in the dark. Maybe the system had two (or more stars).

Am I the only one that was struck with these thoughts?

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

Saw it yesterday and loved it. One thing bothers me that I haven't seen asked yet.

The Starkiller Base is fueled by consuming the system's sun before its beam weapon destroys all the planets.

(1) The mass of a star is more then the mass of any planet. How can the base contain all that mass/energy? Say it has a black hole core... but then what about all that gravity? I guess if they can create artificial gravity they should be able to neutralize it as well.

(2) It has trees growing on it. Where do these trees get their light when the base is traveling between systems? I'd expect everything on the surface to dye rather quickly even if the base started its life as a normal planet with plant life.

(3) And finally... once the base has consumed the sun aren't all the planets in the system destined to die a slow death as they freeze? Sure they didn't suffer the quick death of the beam weapon but aren't they just as dead? I guess you can now evacuate.

(4) Or when the base exploded is it supposed to create a new sun for the system? When they take off to go look for Luke I don't recall everyone being in the dark. Maybe the system had two (or more stars).

Carl

I had some similar thoughts:

Is the Starkiller absorbing mass, or just the heat/energy of the star? I don't recall the star being shown physically consumed, just going dark (and even then, not the true level of darkness an extinguished sun would result in). It could just be left as a cold ball of carbon, or may even be temporarily cooled but mass/gravity would re-catalyze the star to ignite again shortly after being drained.

I want to think the star survives, because the planet requires it to have a sustainable surface. It also seems contrived for it to provide only two charges for the weapon, unless I interpreted wrongly where the first shot came from. If the star were a renewing source of energy/ammo it would make more sense as to the existence of a habitable planet nearby, and the previous drain could have resulted in the frosty surface conditions. I don't believe the planet is mobile like the Death Stars were, instead it's more like a stationary interstellar grand cannon or artillery piece (like some of the gigantic designs the Nazis briefly worked on).

As for the planet becoming a new star itself, it could be that the stored energy was enough to catalyze a solar reaction in the smaller mass, offering a cool climactic explosion, but on a longer timeline I think it would either cool down and re-solidify, or get pulled into the larger star after being in binary orbit for a while.

You should read Dr. Tyson's tweets.

1) https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/679001666138431488

In @StarWars #TheForceAwakens, if you were to suck all of a star’s energy into your planet, your planet would vaporize.

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/679002925226528769

In @StarWars #TheForceAwakens, the energy in a Star is enough to destroy ten-thousand planets, not just a few here & there.

In other words, stop thinking that hard.

I'll just come up with some hand waves:

Projecting enough energy through hyperspace to destroy a whole star system at once, at hyperwave velocities, requires such a great additional input energy that it actually does consume a whole star's output just to do that. Very inefficient, very Imperial Superweapon in nature. (After all, why destroy a planet when orbital bombardments are just as effective at killing everything?)

Containing the energy of that star is less difficult than one would anticipate. Using a large enough thermal oscillator, the energy can be used to power its own containment system (a huge artificial gravity compressor core). The Death Stars had no problem containing hypermatter reactors several kilometers across, and hypermatter annihilation is known to be more energetic than solar fusion. (If less cost-effective a power supply for all but the most hungry capital ships) Obviously, if the thermal oscillator were damaged, the containment field would be incapable of sustaining itself and the reactor core would be unable to contain the resulting implosion into the solar gravity field, or the following explosion. A strange weak point, but then so was the Death Star's thermal exhaust port.

Starkiller was built in a binary star system. It was only intended to experience one firing, and that shot was successful. However, the First Order did build the battle planetoid in a binary system just in case. Dealing with the New Republic capitol may not be enough to stop the Resistance. If the First Order ever comes upon the location of their headquarters, a second shot could be made. Once that happens, the Order won't need the Starkiller anymore anyway. They'll be able to regain control of the Galaxy once and for all after such a show of might. After all, that was the Empire's plan after only two firings of the Death Star.

It's difficult to discern how large the stars of the system Starkiller called home were anyway. The planet resided in the Unknown Regions, which are largely uncharted due to hyperspace anomalies that make transit in the region difficult. The stars may very well have been dwarves, only capable of inputting enough energy to eliminate a few planets. It would certainly explain the iceball appearance of what remained of the planet that was turned into Starkiller. Admittedly I don't have a Death Star parallel here. Something something Hoth Endor?

But now I have to rag on Neil Tyson for a minute. This is a futuristic galactic society in which faster than light travel is so trivial, poorly maintained junk can do it effortlessly. Artificial Intelligence is so advanced, the concept of droid rights came and went millennia ago. People from billions of planets have united under a single government and largely speak one language. There is a mystical force that is so all-encompassing in nature, it is simply called The Force. And we're going to apply our understanding of energy storage to that universe? We're going to demand that it follow our concepts of physics? What happens in Star Wars, if it began happening here, would be considered the work of gods. And we want to say, as modern men, that such works are impossible? Well, for us, sure. But advance our understanding of physics and technology by a thousand generations (more, even, if old Star Wars lore is to be believed). What do you think we'll consider trivial then?

Saw it finally

Finn

Doesn't have the guts to be a Storm Trooper but is perfectly okay gunning down guys he likely knew.

Leia

Got Han killed. "Bring back our son." Look what it happen to him.

Han

Maybe they should left him frozen at Jabba's palace. Luke still would have saved Vader. The Emperor still would have died. Instead they saved him and the galaxy gets Kylo Ren.

Was it me or was Luke, being where he was, having a Morgan Finn Kell moment?

I did like it when I saw it on Saturday with my older kids but one thing bothered me: The Music. there was nothing that stood out for me. I don't think John Williams is gonna get an Oscar next year...

Also, Now that I'm considering it, I'm gonna guess. Snoke is related or the same race as Yoda? With major size issues going on?

Edited by TehPW

Was it me or was Luke, being where he was, having a Morgan Finn Kell moment?

I did like it when I saw it on Saturday with my older kids but one thing bothered me: The Music. there was nothing that stood out for me. I don't think John Williams is gonna get an Oscar next year...

Also, Now that I'm considering it, I'm gonna guess. Snoke is related or the same race as Yoda? With major size issues going on?

You can't be nominated more than once for the same series of movies anymore.

And huh?

Snoke is 7 feet tall, and looks nothing like Yoda's race.

Han

Maybe they should left him frozen at Jabba's palace. Luke still would have saved Vader. The Emperor still would have died. Instead they saved him and the galaxy gets Kylo Ren.

LOL.....kind of reminds of how another Ford character, Indiana Jones, should have just left Belloq and the Nazis take the Ark, open it, then just carry it off after they were all dead.....hindsight is 20/20 I guess.... :rolleyes:

Just got back from watching the film.

Understand, I'm a guy that holds a strong candle for the former EU and I was ready to tear this film a new one, if it fell short.

My initial reaction: it's okay.

Definitely got "A New Hope: The Next Generation" feel from it. It's adequate. It didn't wow me like Empire, but it wasn't a steaming pile of poo either.

If I had to rank them, I'd say it's somewhere around No. 4 or No. 5 out of the seven so far. I still like Revenge of the Sith more (despite making Grevious a moustache-twirling villain, the "NO!!" scene, and the whole twins birth/Padme's death bit), and I usually rank Sith as No. 3 or 4 on my preference list.

A lot of the major storylines felt like rehashes from A New Hope with the added mystery of what happened with Luke, Kylo Ren, and the rest of the Jedi.

The comedy didn't click as strongly with me either. After hearing the one-liners so many times in other cartoons, video games, etc., it didn't have the same "oomph" for me.

When Ben Solo was saying his conflicted speech, I was definitely translating it with a dark side spin. :ph34r:

I'm kinda annoyed that we didn't get a reveal of who Rey's parents are. Other than the obvious cliffhangers from Empire, each of the original trilogy movies were pretty self-contained storywise. I just hate that such a blatant dangling thread is still there at the end of this movie.

Again, it was a solid movie, but it's not the second coming or anything like that.

Considering they have the unenviable task of tying back to the original trilogy after 30 years and they have guys like me that will be comparing this story to the EU ones Disney wiped away from canon, The Force Awakens was alright.

Nothing spectacular, but nothing horrible either.

The EU was NEVER canon, and most of it was pretty bad. There also isn't a new EU; everything new is canon now.

So are you saying that before you got the whole "canon" view of the SW universe by just watching the films....but now you need to buy into the books, comics, etc to really get the complete picture? :rolleyes:

So are you saying that before you got the whole "canon" view of the SW universe by just watching the films....but now you need to buy into the books, comics, etc to really get the complete picture? :rolleyes:

Yeah, pretty much. As I stated a few days ago, it's a real dick move by Disney.

Watched this a few days ago. Overall, same as sentiments as most people, it was a great Star Wars experience, which makes it highly enjoyable but also its greatest crutch. The new characters were great, good performances by their actors all around, this is going to be Daisy Ridley's breakout role for sure. Loved the visuals!

What I didn't like was the movie being

basically a rehash of ANH, with Poe-> Han, Rey->Luke, Han->Obi-wan, Ren->Vader, Luke->Yoda. Han's last scene was basically Obi-wan's in ANH. It just felt too safe.

SW has always been very much about the starships for me, so its unfortunate most of the vehicles and craft seemed forgettable. None of the new/updated craft are really memorable or could stand on their own, perhaps only Rey's speeder? Ren's shuttle was weird to say the least...

The return to the OT style of lightsaber duels is much welcomed over the acrobatics of the Prequels.

There was a great scene that stood out for me though, when the Resistance came to the rescue at Maz's castle, there was a nice tracking shot of Poe's X-wing from Finn's perspective on the ground. It tracked Poe taking out 6-7 TIES and then flying back to strafe some troopers off Finn. It was a bit video game-ish but cool!

Starkiller base does seem impractical for a superweapon... how on earth would you aim that thing? At least with the DS, you could control the rotation of the superweapon... oh well, haha!

I do have good comments from friends who've never followed star wars, so the movie did succeed as an introduction to the SW universe and bringing new fans on board. I'd still watch this multiple times but I'd rank this behind ESB and ANH.

Edited by the_foul_fowl

Thinking about it, I really like the cliffhanger at the end of Force Awakens, but if they follow the usual SW "format", there is no way that they are going to carry directly on from that cliffhanger. Quite annoying.