I just saw Peaugh's review of Blackbird / not!Silverbolt. I thought David was being a little too harsh because the toys aren't plane-accurate enough but after watching that review... :blink:

It literally is just an oragami'd up robot with an SR-71 shaped blob strapped to its back. I'm glad I haven't spent any money on this set...

I just saw Peaugh's review of Blackbird / not!Silverbolt. I thought David was being a little too harsh because the toys aren't plane-accurate enough but after watching that review... :blink:

It literally is just an oragami'd up robot with an SR-71 shaped blob strapped to its back. I'm glad I haven't spent any money on this set...

While I am anal about planes----yeah, it IS a toy robot, and a toy plane. You could have bought a Gundam, and a toy SR-71, and it wouldn't be any different at all.

Phantom and Eagle were nice---but Silverbolt just kills the set by being utterly horribly lazy. (and Falcon and Harrier WILL be inferior to Phantom and Eagle, trust me on this) 2 decent bots out of a 5-member team is not worth buying. We expected BETTER engineering/design from a new TFC combiner, not inferior to their first attempt, Hercules.

Even if the molds were all good, the color scheme is getting worse and worse-----Hercules looked nice, but Uranos is just ghastly red/grey/yellow.

Superion isn't/wasn't white---he's mostly light grey exactly like a DYRL valk. But few people seem to realize this, and it's making all the colors look bad because they want a WHITE Superion. Well, this is what you get when you make a WHITE Superion. G1 Slingshot was white, and Fireflight's wings were white. But Silverbolt, and all the Superion kibble, was DYRL grey. And it makes the colors mesh much better with the grey/red/black of the others. Hercules's hue is a far cry from G1 green, but it still looks nice. But TFC seemed to have tweaked all of the colors in the wrong direction for Uranos.

TLDR: If all the bots were as nice as Phantom, I'd have bought the set.

Really sad how TFC fuc*ed this one. No competition, no preasure to release it as soon as possible, online community making fantastic color suggestions for free....At least the chest mod that people are doing over at tfw2005 at least makes combined form look a ton better.

post-2996-0-58779900-1363049531_thumb.jpg

The stupid and nonlocking chest shield bot can even be used to bulk up the back muscles:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/598199-new-tfctoys-project-uranos-mega-thread-853.html

And adding some white ties the fugly scheme more:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/598199-new-tfctoys-project-uranos-mega-thread-876.html#post9100626

There's even a guy working on a new chest shield:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/598199-new-tfctoys-project-uranos-mega-thread-875.html

Speaking of stuff to make TFC releases better and about Herc: some people don't like the out of the box look. I'm ok with it because I like the arm transformation but the rage kit does give him a ton more arm articulation. I have him with one arm transformed, the other with the rage lower arm and both arms with the rage extenders. Since Devy is asymetrical, it still looks cool and helps me to not have to choose a single arm configuration.

That said, the shapeways kit makes Herc look even more imposing:

post-2996-0-79285800-1363050326_thumb.jpg

http://www.shapeways.com/model/831421/echo-herc-v5-the-full-monty.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/645778-hercules-rage-upgrade-elbows-69.html

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/645778-hercules-rage-upgrade-elbows-69.html

Sad thing is that you have to paint them and they cost more than a Herc member. So no Super Herc for me.

So anyone seen the cringe worthy tetrajets by impossible toys over at TFW;

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/impossible-toys-tetra-squadron-video-teaser-transformation-demo-177040/

Yeeeeeesh. Save your pennies, fellas.

Good (better than this at least) things come to those who wait.

I actually find then interesting. Complex little buggers. But the 3P market is getting saturated and these are for real hardcore fans... Impossible Toys has it difficult.

If they could make them reaaaaaaaaaally cheap I would bite.

But they're unnecessarily complex, not saying they have to be simple - but there has to be a happy medium.

Bot mode proportions are hideously off. Structurally speaking too, looks too fragile. I think the bot mode was compromised too much for the sake of the alt mode. When it comes to TFs, I think the bot mode should be paramount, not the other way around.

Honestly, every time somebody releases an add on for Hercules, all it does is make it look ungainly and ugly. basic Hercules is the best looking Hercules IMO, although I like the look of giant more overall.

BTW, the one add on I'd be down for is an adapter that would let you take one of the Hercules arm guys and mount it to Giant so you can have Giant with an a-symmetrical massive arm.

So anyone seen the cringe worthy tetrajets by impossible toys over at TFW;

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/3rd-party-unlicensed-41/impossible-toys-tetra-squadron-video-teaser-transformation-demo-177040/

Yeeeeeesh. Save your pennies, fellas.

Good (better than this at least) things come to those who wait.

you know, for such a ludicrously complex shell-former, you'd think they could have made the underside a little less kibbly.

The conehead looks better:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/827911-impossible-toys-tetra-squadron-video-teaser-10.html#post9110433

But I'm not saying these things are great. I find the origami transformation neat but no way will I get any of them. Like I said, there is too much stuff out there, or soon to be out there, and I would have to see them as ludicrously cheap to bite. That and the company isn’t known for durable toys.

Hey Kurisama,since it looks like you are also into TF, any plans to better the look of 3P stuff with your 3D modelling god powers? Some shapeways parts for Herc looks good, but the extra torso pieces make it look fat.

I don't want to say too much or jinx it - but I will say that all of my Macross Shapeways stuff has been test the waters of what I can do in regards to quality and design.

I will say that my tetrajet seekers in develooment look bad-ass, as egotistical as it sounds. I want them to simultaneously fit in with the classics and pay enough homage to the originals without being a slave to the nearly 30 year old designs.

Honestly, every time somebody releases an add on for Hercules, all it does is make it look ungainly and ugly. basic Hercules is the best looking Hercules IMO,

Same here. If/when I buy Hercules, it will be the basic set and nothing more. Every add-on makes it look "different, but not better" to me. Mainly they introduce more G1 aesthetic in a figure/design which is NOT G1, and it starts looking weird. Like the ultra-G1 heads available for him. They look weird on his very not-G1 body.

(plus, adding a dozen extra parts really defeats the whole point of their original "no separate kibble" design--integrated forearms and head, fists can hide away in vehicle mode----why on earth would you go back to having separate thigh-bits between the legs and waist just like G1 had?)

I like a couple of the neutral expression heads and/or the one with the LED eyes but yeah I'd be happy with the "basic" Hercules. If I could get it for under $500 lol.

Also find it sad that there is so much need to change Herc when his whole point is being as perfect transforming as you can get. That said, I got the rage set just to try and when I discovered the great deal of articulation the shoulder extensions give the arms I had to leave them on... But they make the shoulders look too far away from the body.

- And when you add the lower arms to have the tank treads cover the shoulders you find that those forearms hang too far outside in a weird way compared to the upper arms.

- And when you add shapeways stuff to correct that you notice they look overly big.

- And when you add more waist to correct proportions Herc ends up looking fat...

See where this goes lol? "Different, but not better" like David said.

I'll take a pic of my asymetrical rage Herc later if anybody is interested to see how I compromise both versions.

I don't want to say too much or jinx it - but I will say that all of my Macross Shapeways stuff has been test the waters of what I can do in regards to quality and design.

I will say that my tetrajet seekers in develooment look bad-ass, as egotistical as it sounds. I want them to simultaneously fit in with the classics and pay enough homage to the originals without being a slave to the nearly 30 year old designs.

An interesting future opens up...

While their alt mode looks fairly nice, the bot modes are hideous. After the stink I had with my Medic 2 years ago I'm inclined to pass until the price significantly drops, MAYBE then I'd buy one. But seeing how I got a fairly nice collection of Cybertronian figures and hasbro releasing more than just star scream by summer, nah I'm good.

meh, not superion might be disappointing but it's still light years better than any combiner that hasbro/takara has released in the past... forever.

Yeah, but the difference is I can buy all five pieces of, say, FoC Bruticus for less than the cost of one limb of a third-party combiner. Since the Hasbro toy is ten times cheaper, I'm willing to be be ten times more forgiving.

To that end, Hasbro's combiners aren't the benchmark I'll hold not-Superion to. Hercules and Giant are, and compared to them not-Superion comes up short.

yeah, wish Hasbro would buy Hercules and release it for 1/3 to 1/2 the price mass produced on Amazon with coupons and BF deals.

That's be awesome, but I doubt Takara would approve it, since they're not a top-tier character(s). Plus Hasbro might complain that they just did the FOC version, lessening demand.

However--the Combaticons ARE at their peak of popularity due to the game, and it'd be insane to attempt an official MP Devastator at this point--so what better combiner to pick? Fame-wise, it's pretty much "Devastator, and everybody else".

Important note---since Takara is on a "purely G1 animated appearance" kick, that would bode well for Blast-Off's wings etc forming the chest-shield. I consider that aspect essential to a MP-level Bruticus. It's awesome, solves the problem of Blast-Off's wings getting in the way of things in arm-mode, and eliminates the need for a huge chunk of gestalt-only kibble or trying to build it into Onslaught.

Really, look at the issue of the chest-plate. Devastator's is formed from pieces, Menasor's stores in the trailer since Motormaster has a little roller like Prime does, Predaking uses Razorclaw's mane. But look what happened to Superion/Uranos---it's fugly, even with a whole 'nother plane dedicated to it. Imagine the same thing for Bruticus---having a big silver flying spaceship for a chest shield, matching the original toy. Not gonna work, not well at least. But using Blast-Off's wings and forward-upper fuselage? Solves a LOT of chest-plate issues.

Really, Abominus may have the worst of it all when it comes to chest-plates----his just has nowhere to go when they're in beast mode. (Piranacon's is Snaptrap's shell, and Defensor's can easily store inside/underneath Hotspot's truck mode, since they're just multiple flat plates stuck together)

Gotta agree with Kurisama. I do the think the transformation is interesting but the bot mode is hideously compromised. The proportions just look comically off.

Not to mention their previous mold (RC) had horrible QC. Maybe they should refine this design a bit more before releasing these to the public. So far the consensus on most forums have been bleh mostly due to the robot modes

So now a 3rd Predaking enters the fray? I was hoping Ares would be something else.

I don't know. Sure, the one with wings makes you think Divebomb (who doesn't have that crazy crest), but the other four don't really resemble the Predacons. The one with wings could as easily be Cutthroat or Wildfly.

Basically, every insider and person who's asked TFC, has said it is Predaking. So yeah, quite a waste, as it'll be the third and last version, and is neither G1 nor classics-style.

I'll reiterate one of my fave comments/complaints: if you can't tell from the silhouette, then it's not a good representation of the character. The sheer fact that people are still debating who it is, even with all 5 revealed, says a lot about how little they resemble, well, anybody.

Does anyone have any more info on the new Stunticons set? I see two of them up for preorder on BBTS but kind of reluctant to pull the trigger based off the very few photos I can find.

Here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36937&p=1024652

That's pretty much all there is, and FP didn't even release those pics to the public. The color pic of the 4 limbs in bot mode is the ONLY other official info there is. And your own interpretations of the early prototypes in the post I linked to.

FP finally came down form their pedestal to show something to us mere mortals? We must consider ourselves blessed.

And TFC better have the most unique and kickass Predaking to show up so late to the party. Rumors now say that it is bigger than Uranos and with "extras".

Now I wonder if the designer of the first two planes of Uranos was moved to the predaking after doing them and BB and the crappy other two planes are the work of an intern :p