A little OT, but wouldn't flying aircraft carriers just be completely unfeasiible, mainly in terms of purpose? I mean, a flying air craft carrier is not only a giant and fairly easy target to hit in the sky with air - to - air missles, but hits in the right place can cause the whole to start a crash dive, which will do further damage. And for me, beyond quick transportation, there are no real advantages to having a flying air craft carrier...

I like the flying aircraft carrier in Yukikaze, Broke-Back-Air Force, better...

x2

4700866599_19334f673f_b.jpg

A little OT, but wouldn't flying aircraft carriers just be completely unfeasiible, mainly in terms of purpose? I mean, a flying air craft carrier is not only a giant and fairly easy target to hit in the sky with air - to - air missles, but hits in the right place can cause the whole to start a crash dive, which will do further damage. And for me, beyond quick transportation, there are no real advantages to having a flying air craft carrier...

The same could be said about sea-based carriers.

I never thought Marvel could top Iron Man as their best movie, but they just did with Avengers. It's exactly how a superhero teamup movie should be done. It's just too bad

someone important had to bite the big one in the process.

:(

But that someone has to become somebody else important.

Seen it twice now.

Its better the second time believe it or not.

Some small spoilers:

I think the first time I was just waiting for the actual team, so the start felt very slow. The second time, knowing better what the timing was, I enjoyed the buildup much more.

also (Just a little thing) a thing i liked; Whilst most people are shown the Tesseract files on a computer of some kind, Fury gives Captain america a paper file. Later u see Cap using a computer, but i thought it was a nice touch that Fury went Old school on it at first.

Also the final action sequence is 27 minutes long. and it NEVER gets boring!

And who knew Hulk would be the standout character f the film??

Free preview weekend - how convenient! Watched Thor & Captain 'Merica with the wife. Pretty good. Obviously setting up many pieces for the Avengers. Now just need time for IM2 - I think I can skip NortonHulk. Now to start consulting with other geek professors to catch the new one this weekend.

Now just need time for IM2 - I think I can skip NortonHulk.

With regards to setting up plot/characters for Avengers---yes you can. IM2 is possibly the biggest one of all in that regard, and Hulk was pretty much stand-alone with the standard 10 second cameo at the end.

Well, today's the last day of class for the semester, so Prof. Wife should have time for one more flick this week. At this point, I think we'll end up springing for a babysitter so we can both see Avengers in the theater. She's enjoyed watching silly action movies together again, and is also a huge JW fan. It'd be unfair to see it w/o her...

Edited by Kelsain

Watched it last week Thursday. Yeah, for whatever reason South Africa gets US films before they're shown in the US.

Anyway, straight to the point. I really didn't enjoy it. Found it too predictable. Also the script was messy, the back and forth unexplained and suddenly coincidental settings showed rushed writing in the script.

As for the villains, was very disappointed with the Transformers identical feel, to the point where I could make out what they were.

Guess I'm totally out of these formulated type of films where the villain appears, heroes appear, villain reveals himself to be a moron, and heroes save city at the very last moment.

Also the whole overly superhuman factor in battle also disappointed me. Like when Scarlet just off Cap's shield to tag one of the hover chariots, and neither of them once looked up to time the jump. So the got internal sensors built in their heads now?

Also the whole Ironman and Potts relationship has too softened the ego of Tony Stark.

I fully understand this film has fulfilled many childhood dreams, but in this age I feel they wasted the opportunity for a darker story, with a more realistic outcome away from the heroes save the day cliché. :angry:

The humour though was spot on. :p

Watched it last week Thursday. Yeah, for whatever reason South Africa gets US films before they're shown in the US.

Anyway, straight to the point. I really didn't enjoy it. Found it too predictable. Also the script was messy, the back and forth unexplained and suddenly coincidental settings showed rushed writing in the script.

As for the villains, was very disappointed with the Transformers identical feel, to the point where I could make out what they were.

Guess I'm totally out of these formulated type of films where the villain appears, heroes appear, villain reveals himself to be a moron, and heroes save city at the very last moment.

Also the whole overly superhuman factor in battle also disappointed me. Like when Scarlet just off Cap's shield to tag one of the hover chariots, and neither of them once looked up to time the jump. So the got internal sensors built in their heads now?

Also the whole Ironman and Potts relationship has too softened the ego of Tony Stark.

I fully understand this film has fulfilled many childhood dreams, but in this age I feel they wasted the opportunity for a darker story, with a more realistic outcome away from the heroes save the day cliché. :angry:

Nonono, we're talking about The Avengers, not Green Lantern.

Nonono, we're talking about The Avengers, not Green Lantern.

His description pretty much sums up EVERY superhero film, with the exception of the Original Superman (from the seventies, not those ones from the forties or fifties).

His description pretty much sums up EVERY superhero film, with the exception of the Original Superman (from the seventies, not those ones from the forties or fifties).

Personally I don't find much fault in that; to me that would be like criticizing car companies for continuing to manufacture cars with wheels, doors and stuff. Sure the formula has been around for ages but truly creative and inspring individuals can take that cliched formula and keep enough twists and nuances in it to keep us entertained. Well, at least the dull, glass-eyed masses like me anyway...

Personally I don't find much fault in that; to me that would be like criticizing car companies for continuing to manufacture cars with wheels, doors and stuff.

There is this lovely line in "It's a mad mad mad mad mad mad world" where Ethyl Mermym says "things like this happen because of people who says things like this happen when things like this happen." Or in other words, if people would stop watching mindless movies about superheroes beating each other up for no reason then movie companies would stop making them. Superman showed that it is possible to make a good Superhero picture (original Spider Man and Tim Burton's Batman as well). The problem today is the never ending desire to go further and further overboard with Special Effects. (I should add Iron Man into the good mix, it was at least a different take on Super Heroes and the Stark character is truly interesting)

I looks forward to a time when we have a 'superhero' not fighting a 'supervillain'. I do love the current spate of super hero movies in general, but they certainly have become tremendously forumulaic.

Realistic outcome? What the hell did you expect to happen when a group of earth's most powerful, self sure, competent heroes take on a whiny emob***h with daddy and sibling issues? I would be shocked and have trouble believing crybaby Loki did anything but get his bloody arse whooped no matter what back up he had.

Not every superhero needs to be gritty or tell a "darker" story as long as its compelling and makes sense. Look at what happened in the 90s when thanks to Frank Miller and his like, the comic companies thought every superhero need to be darker and more violent. Eventually characters became crude shells of who they originally where or so twisted they had to be rebooted or killed of (green lantern fiasco). Darker isn't always better.

I saw it two ago. Its not that good, boring story, weak villains. Though the trailers didn't have me thinking it was going to be all that great either.

There was some good scenes and some nice humor, but they good have come up with a much better storyline and villains imho.