The only thing that I can say remotely bad about the Avengers was too much time on the Helicarrier.

The big missed opportunity was in marketing. Jeep Chrysler really missed out. The Acura contract may not have allowed it but Jeep would have done well to highlight the Shield J8 Jeep. Chrysler needs all the help it can get and missing out on an Avengers tie in was really thick.

AEV was working with Jeep to get bodies so civilians could put in their own engines and transmissions, since the military ones are not street legal, but that deal fell off.

I mean Jeep did a Sahara tie in....Bad movie and the jeep really wasn't featured as well as the Avengers or say Terminator Salvation.

Oh, and could of had more Captain America.

Fun action but not totally impressed with story if there was one. I'm getting used to Chris Evans as Steve Rogers but I still don't see him as Captain America, plus that suit looks cheesy. Not a big fan of Loki and his lack of tricksterness. RDJ owned the movie as expected.

Captain America, plus that suit looks cheesy.

Yeah, the Coulson designed suit wasn't as cool as the Rescue or the WW2 uniform. Thankfully no pirate boots or fish scale chain mail.

But the Cap is cheesy and naive for modern multi-corp everything is a shade of gray US.

That is why I still like him and enjoy his increase in popularity from the Marvel movies.

I recently looked back over the comic years and it seems that writers really enjoyed killing the Cap and trampling on him in the process.

Fun action but not totally impressed with story if there was one. I'm getting used to Chris Evans as Steve Rogers but I still don't see him as Captain America, plus that suit looks cheesy. Not a big fan of Loki and his lack of tricksterness. RDJ owned the movie as expected.

Uuhhh let's not forget this is not a "Shawshank Redemption" or "Sleepless in Seattle!" The story is simple: retrieve that glowing cube and defend the world from outside invaders. Pure actions with special FXes is all I need to be entetained. Much like the "Immortals!"

So who really gives a rat about story.... Action counts!

No, story is what makes an okay action flick rise to greater heights.

And more importantly, as I've said a billion times in other posts, having the characters drive the story makes a movie or TV series a hell of a lot better than having the plot drive the characters.

I'm not an American comics fan so I saw it with very little knowledge of the Marvel comics universe. I filled in a few blanks after the movie by reading a few wikipedia entries and watching the Captain American movie on Blu-ray. ^^;

Avengers was a "superhero group" movie so I wasn't expecting it to be a deep thought provoking poignant movie. Nor did I want it to be such. Personally, I thought the movie was exactly what it ought to be - a bunch of superheroes being larger than life, both good guy and bad guys being haughty, and ofcourse the good guys saving the world in the end.

On a side-note, I also found the Captain America movie to be superb.

If there was a criticism, I might say the movie had perhaps one too many superheroes. Had they contained it to just 3 or 4 superheroes, there might have been more time to flesh out each of the characters a bit more.

Why spend more time fleshing out characters when each character pretty much had their own previous movie? This was all about throwing too many characters together for epic battles, that's why it worked.

Why spend more time fleshing out characters when each character pretty much had their own previous movie?

Because perhaps it might be good to know who these characters are in the context of this movie (ie. who/where they are now, not what they were in a previous movie).

To be fair, my lack of knowledge of the Marvel universe and having not watched the Iron Man, Thor, or the Hulk movies may have something to do with what I wrote above.

http://www.comicbook...c/news/?a=55120

This sums up the new Captain America uniform pretty well.

In other words it's pretty awesome unless you're a greesy comic book nerd that doesn't understand that it's not anatomically possible for a human being to look like this:

cap_breasts.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

In other words it's pretty awesome unless your a greesy comic book nerd that doesn't understand that it's not anatomically possible for a human being to look like this:

cap_breasts.jpg

Why is that roided up hampster dressed like Captain America?

Because perhaps it might be good to know who these characters are in the context of this movie (ie. who/where they are now, not what they were in a previous movie).

To be fair, my lack of knowledge of the Marvel universe and having not watched the Iron Man, Thor, or the Hulk movies may have something to do with what I wrote above.

That has "everything" to do with it. At the very least you should have seen Iron Man 1&2, Captain America, & Thor.

Edited by Keith

Okay, I've seen the movie twice now and I still don't think it's all that great like all of my other friends seem to think it is. It's a good popcorn flick with great action and some funny moments...but it never "wowed" me like...say...The Dark Knight did. A lot of my friends give me a hard time about it. Am I missing something here?

Okay, I've seen the movie twice now and I still don't think it's all that great like all of my other friends seem to think it is. It's a good popcorn flick with great action and some funny moments...but it never "wowed" me like...say...The Dark Knight did. A lot of my friends give me a hard time about it. Am I missing something here?

Why so serious?

Like Keith implied, you need to regard Avengers for what it is, which is a super-hero team-up movie that's heavy on action and interaction but not much else. Story? What story? The generic decepticons from Bay-Formers showed up from outer space and the Marvel dudes got together and killed them all; that's it! I really wish people would stop trying to compare Dark Knight and the Marvel movies; these are two entirely different styles of tone and storytelling, apples and oranges. If you look for the serious soul searching and deep personal conflicts of the Dark Knight in a movie like Avengers you will be sadly disappointed...

Like Keith implied, you need to regard Avengers for what it is, which is a super-hero team-up movie that's heavy on action and interaction but not much else. Story? What story? The generic decepticons from Bay-Formers showed up from outer space and the Marvel dudes got together and killed them all; that's it! I really wish people would stop trying to compare Dark Knight and the Marvel movies; these are two entirely different styles of tone and storytelling, apples and oranges. If you look for the serious soul searching and deep personal conflicts of the Dark Knight in a movie like Avengers you will be sadly disappointed...

I only mentioned The Dark Knight because it's the ONLY comic book movie that actually wowed me, as compared to the rest of the comic book movies. As for the "super-hero-team-up-movie-that's-heavy-on-action-and-interaction-but-not-much-else" movies...I'm sure I've seen better than this. Thanks for the insight though.

Edited by Oihan

I only mentioned The Dark Knight because it's the ONLY comic book movie that actually wowed me, as compared to the rest of the comic book movies. As for the "super-hero-team-up-movie-that's-heavy-on-action-and-interaction-but-not-much-else" movies...I'm sure I've seen better than this.

Name "1" live action super hero team up movie that's better than this. And "The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai" doesn't count.

Edited by Keith

Nope, that was a deconstruction of a superhero team up movie.

You say "tomayto" I say "tomatoe" It's not like there was a complete deconstruction as you so put it. I seem to recall the whole team (minus The Comedian) getting together at the end. ;P

beg all you want, it's still a completely ineffectual film that's so wrapped up in trying to be faithful to the original graphic novel that it completely forget that it's a god damn movie. It's also an anachronistic story so rooted in late cold war sentiment that it's utterly un-relatable to a contemporary audience. Then there's the whole issue of a deconstructionist piece losing its impact when it's a deconstruction of a subject matter that's completely foreign to the majority of moviegoers.

beg all you want, it's still a completely ineffectual film that's so wrapped up in trying to be faithful to the original graphic novel that it completely forget that it's a god damn movie. It's also an anachronistic story so rooted in late cold war sentiment that it's utterly un-relatable to a contemporary audience. Then there's the whole issue of a deconstructionist piece losing its impact when it's a deconstruction of a subject matter that's completely foreign to the majority of moviegoers.

Ever consider the fact that that's partially why those of us actually enjoy the film? I hear so much griping as it is on this board about faithfulness on other IPs. I'm not going to turn this into a Avengers vs The Watchmen thread, but an opinion is an opinion, NOT fact.

It's official: The Avengers has broken the US$1 billion barrier, scoring a total worldwide gross of US$1,002,082,000.

Without a doubt, it's become the greatest comedy ever! And rightfully as it was very funny.

I doubt you're missing anything, if it didn't wow you it didn't wow you. I enjoyed the movie a lot, but at the same time I can understand why some feel it didn't live up to the hype preceding it, or doesn't live up to they hype it has gained since its release. Everyone enjoys different things.

Does this answer your question?

Yup, I can practically hear the Filipino accent in the Jolibee manager's words. :lol:

(And this is coming from a guy with Filipino parents, okay. ;))