The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I dunno if should go here or the third party thread, but here is the Transformers Shapeways project I alluded to in other places.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/712421/mp-jet-dude-heel-extension.html

It's a pair of heel struts for the old MP-03 based Seekers. As you can see, it helps the figure stand up even with all the back swept as far back as possible. I kept the tolerances around the main peg a little loose so people can paint these without too much scraping. Just plug 'em in and you're good.

Soooo.....the next MP has been teased. Looks like another Prime of some sort. Very upsetting. With the two new molds coming out why can't we just do more molds? Where's my Megs at dammit? I need a new one to go with prime. Or Jazz, or Bumblebee, or a real surprise would be a real Springer, was always a favorite. Now from what everyone is saying if it is Magnus, with an updated trailer with armor that would be acceptable.

Soooo.....the next MP has been teased. Looks like another Prime of some sort. Very upsetting. With the two new molds coming out why can't we just do more molds? Where's my Megs at dammit? I need a new one to go with prime. Or Jazz, or Bumblebee, or a real surprise would be a real Springer, was always a favorite. Now from what everyone is saying if it is Magnus, with an updated trailer with armor that would be acceptable.

How are you not surprised by this move? They will milk the crap out of the Prime 2.0 mold again I'm sure. Prime, Magnus, Nemesis Prime, Dead Prime, shattered glass Prime, clear prime, Lucky Draw Gold Prime. I wouldn't even be shocked if next year we see Soundblaster, I really wouldn't.

I'm just looking forward to completing my seeker trio. Already got MP-11, and looking forward to Skywarp and Thundercracker 2.0. Would have gotten Hasbro's TC and just removed the stupid decals/markings, but the local TRU sucks, which means my only option is a Takara version from a hobby store.

As for a potential Ultra Magnus, meh. Was never much of a fan of his even back in G1. But depending on how he looks and how much money I've got at the time of release or pre-order, I might just buy one.

In the meantime, Sideswipe and Soundwave will be putting a smile on my face for the rest of the year.

I'm a little disheartened by how small sideswipe is. And his engineering *appears* too simplistic for a masterpiece title. But hey, there are other things that could be said about being complicated simply to be complicated.

If you ask me, we're probably paying more for the Lamborghini license and the fact that it's a MP toy than the actual toy itself.

That said, it's fine for what it is, given its size and the fact that its transformation mimics the G1 toy . I wish they'd try a little harder to hide the roof in alt mode, though.

How are you not surprised by this move? They will milk the crap out of the Prime 2.0 mold again I'm sure. Prime, Magnus, Nemesis Prime, Dead Prime, shattered glass Prime, clear prime, Lucky Draw Gold Prime. I wouldn't even be shocked if next year we see Soundblaster, I really wouldn't.

I would be shocked beyond words if they DIDN'T do a Soundblaster within a year of MP Soundwave coming out. MP Magnus would be cool but way too expensive to import so unless it comes out stateside I'd probably end up passing on it even if it does happen, similar thinking for nemisis prime (which in all likelihood is MP-15). Either way I still hate the MP seeker mold and have no interest in picking any of them up even if I could find one at TRU.

Speaking of TRU, I stopped by the one in Hayward today and found not only a freshly opened case of the latest wave Cyberverse Commanders (Ironhide, Dreadwing and Magnus), but I also found a full peg of GDO Scouts. As in, the RotF scout redecos that where first sited anywhere in the US yesterday. And yet for months now they've had nothing in the way of deluxes but 4 PRID bumblebees and a peg of those half translucent DotM exclusives; I have no idea how that works.

I Picked myself up a laserbeak though, (the one that's a repaint of RotF skystalker) he's an awesome scout mold that I never had a chance to pick up and his paint job is nice; Very G1 Laserbeak-esque and full of silver paint.

:edit: Now I'm really looking forward to those GDO deluxes and voyagers hitting the US.

Edited by anime52k8

It's Takara, which generally means animation over toys, so their Rumble should be blue*.

*Rumble is actually purple in just about every episode.

But in the Japanese cartoon Rumble was red and frenzy was blue. Maybe for the US release they'll leave the colors completely unchanged but swap the names around.

For all I care, they can call the blue one Periwinkle and the red one Gingerfpuff. :p

As long as the figures don't have the names printed on them, I can choose to call either of them Frenzy or Rumble.

Not liking the price, though. I could buy a figma with that kind of money. But since I've already got Soundwave, I'll have to get all the cassettes as well--the essential ones, at least. FnR, Ravage, Laserbeak, and Ratbat, and that's all I'll buy. I remember they've got parakeets, gorillas and rhinos in the comics, but I've got no interest in those.

Not liking the price, though. I could buy a figma with that kind of money. But since I've already got Soundwave, I'll have to get all the cassettes as well--the essential ones, at least. FnR, Ravage, Laserbeak, and Ratbat, and that's all I'll buy. I remember they've got parakeets, gorillas and rhinos in the comics, but I've got no interest in those.

but figmas don't transform into cassette tapes, and 90% of the characters that get figmas aren't nearly as cool as ravage or rumble. :p

personally I want all the cassette bots, ALL OF THEM. btw, the only rhino was the Autobot Ramhorn, who would be kind of pointless if they're only making Soundwave. (but if we get a blaster he would be absolutely essential).

As for the parakeet and gorilla, those are the best two cassette bots ever, they combine!

As for the parakeet and gorilla, those are the best two cassette bots ever, they combine!

They do?!

I might have to make an exception for those two, then. But knowing Takara, they'll be sure to separate the two into different releases, like they're doing to Frenzy and Rumble. Your collection will never be complete until you buy EVERYTHING.

If they do release Blaster, he might actually be a functional radio or MP3 player. If I'm not mistaken, the original Japanese toy had such a function; basically the radio components were disguised inside a cassette, which plugs into the chest. The legs also housed actual speakers.

Fort Max is getting reissued.

http://www.bigbadtoy...ail&picture=out

Caught that this morning and went with the later shipment preorder. I also realized that I had inserted foot into mouth because of this. A few months ago I told my girlfriend I would either drastically slow down or retire from toy collecting if I ever got the holy grail of Transformers, that be Fortress Max. Course back then I was thinking of original G1 with package 100% complete for the 800+ range. Well, beggers can't be choosers right? Either way I'm very excited to see they're finally going with this and I might even try to buy that Headrobot mold of Fort Max to really make it better.

They do?!

I might have to make an exception for those two, then. But knowing Takara, they'll be sure to separate the two into different releases, like they're doing to Frenzy and Rumble. Your collection will never be complete until you buy EVERYTHING.

yep, Squawktalk (the bird) and Beastbox (the gorilla) form Squawkbox. Squawkbox doesn't have the draw of being impossibly rare the way the autobot W combiner tapes are, but I think they where the coolest looking of the combining tapes (and they're also the only cassette combiner pair that was evil).

Cassette combiners

If they do release Blaster, he might actually be a functional radio or MP3 player. If I'm not mistaken, the original Japanese toy had such a function; basically the radio components were disguised inside a cassette, which plugs into the chest. The legs also housed actual speakers.

Yep, the original Micro Change "Radi-Casse Robo" that became blaster had a working radio gimmick (which incidentally made it impossible to insert transforming micro cassettes into his chest, necessitating a compartment in his back for his cassette buddies).

yep, Squawktalk (the bird) and Beastbox (the gorilla) form Squawkbox. Squawkbox doesn't have the draw of being impossibly rare the way the autobot W combiner tapes are, but I think they where the coolest looking of the combining tapes (and they're also the only cassette combiner pair that was evil).

http://www.flickr.co...s2k/6910235447/

Understandably, the Squalkbox figure is a mediocre brick made from 80's toy tech, but I can see Takara making a pretty cool toy using today's knowhow.

Yep, the original Micro Change "Radi-Casse Robo" that became blaster had a working radio gimmick (which incidentally made it impossible to insert transforming micro cassettes into his chest, necessitating a compartment in his back for his cassette buddies).

I wonder if the Hasbro version (pretending that there will even be a funtional Takara Blaster in the future) will keep the mp3/ radio components for their TRU exclusive? They did give US collectors a pleasant surprise by including MP-10's trailer when everyone expected them not to.

I wonder if the Hasbro version (pretending that there will even be a funtional Takara Blaster in the future) will keep the mp3/ radio components for their TRU exclusive? They did give US collectors a pleasant surprise by including MP-10's trailer when everyone expected them not to.

that's so many levels of what if I can barely wrap my brain around it. I could see that being an easy way to cut costs for a US release, but I could also see it ending up like music label Soundwave where in order to make everything work right the electronics would be so integral to the figure that leaving them out would be impossible without extensive retooling to maintain the toys structural stability. of course I still find it highly unlikely that takara would go to the trouble and added expensive of engineering in such a complex gimmick, just to replicate a gutted function of the G1 toys original non-TF source. And for that matter, I think I'd prefer it not to include any such gimmick given how it worked out last time (i.e. music label Soundwave). While admittedly that was 5 years ago, that was still a deluxe size toy with deluxe size engineering that cost 5 times what a Japanese deluxe usually sold for, all so they could cram in an utterly trash MP3 player that was garbage even by 2007 standards.

cRm43.jpg

AKNDMPDLRLLHO6RS7XTRZPKPYHQXEWSX.jpeg

Edited by anime52k8

that's so many levels of what if I can barely rap my brain around it. I could see that being an easy way to cut costs for a US release, but I could also see it ending up like music label Soundwave where in order to make everything work right the electronics would be so integral to the figure that leaving them out would be impossible without extensive retooling to maintain the toys structural stability. of course I still find it highly unlikely that takara would go to the trouble and added expensive of engineering in such a complex gimmick, just to replicate a gutted function of the G1 toys original non-TF source. And for that matter, I think I'd prefer it not to include any such gimmick given how it worked out last time (i.e. music label Soundwave). While admittedly that was 5 years ago, that was still a deluxe size toy with deluxe size engineering that cost 5 times what a Japanese deluxe usually sold for, all so they could cram in an utterly trash MP3 player that was garbage even by 2007 standards.

Good point.

From

Famitoy

As expected, MP-10 gets a black version, and will probably go on to spawn an Ultra Magnus repaint, "sleeping mode", and clear version.

Who's that orange bird cassette? Not sure what to make of the katakana name. Vassun? Bassun? Basutsu?

I may buy Rumble/Buzzsaw even without owning MP Soundwave... (never owned Lazerbeak, had most other cassettes though) Even though Lazerbeak was the "star of the show" when it comes to casettes, more people owned Buzzsaw, and most of my "G1 toy casette memories" are of him.

I may buy Rumble/Buzzsaw even without owning MP Soundwave... (never owned Lazerbeak, had most other cassettes though) Even though Lazerbeak was the "star of the show" when it comes to casettes, more people owned Buzzsaw, and most of my "G1 toy casette memories" are of him.

Same here, MP Soundwave I could care less about but those cassette bots are great, especially ravage.