The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Just need to vent a bit---this is a fairly complete list of all the G1 TF's my brother and I had (yes, we had more, these are the ones I'm *sure* we had, vs the ones I think we had/played with). I do not know what happened to 99% of them----given away to our cousins or neighbors I believe, when our parents deemed us "too old for them". I retained my brother's Devastator until the very end, it was the last to go. (pretty sure I know which cousin ended up with it) Anyways:

Autobots:

Optimus Prime

Ultra Magnus

Omega Supreme

Aerialbots/Superion

Protectobots/Defensor

Grimlock

Slag

Sludge

Sideswipe

Tracks

Bluestreak

Overdrive

Gears

Pipes

Swerve

Punch/Counterpunch

Kup

Blurr

Jetfire

Powerglide

Warpath

Topspin

Doublecross

Backstreet

Powermaster Optimus Prime

Decepticons:

Starscream

Skywarp

Thundercracker

Dirge

Ramjet

Thrust (see a pattern yet? We liked jets)

Soundwave/Buzzsaw

Ratbat

Shockwave

Constructicons/Devastator

Blitzwing

Astrotrain

Octane

Kickback

Shrapnel

Stunticons/Menasor

Combaticons/Bruticus

Galvatron

Trypticon

Scourge

Cyclonus

Runamuck

Rampage/Razorclaw (never completed Predaking)

Sixshot

Overkill/Slugfest

Snapdragon

Weirdwolf

Terrorcons/Abominus

Seacons/Piranacon

Triggerhappy

Mindwipe

Pounce

Dreadwind

Darkwing

Doubledealer

Roadgrabber

Monstructor

Just imagine what they'd be worth, had they been kept. (or at the very least, I wouldn't have had to re-acquire so many via ebay over the years---I snagged the G2 versions of most when they came out and kept them, which helped a bit as they were "close enough")

Gah I messed up. I finally started watching Prime and now i want the figs. I just bought some first edition ones and will be getting prime and bulkhead next week. That is the money I was giong to save for Hercules but I will get Hercules later. This is how I started with Animated and wound up with just about the entire toy line. I don't want to go down that dark path again lol. I do want the first edition and Ratchet and some decepticons though from Prime. Dammit it's starting. Well these can hold me over until I get Hercules and until this fall with I get the masterpeices. I am going to hold out for the Hasbro Prime, may pick up Starscream before hand though that will give me 5 seekers now so I am on the fence about that. Soundwave and Sideswipe will be christmas gifts.

Gah I messed up. I finally started watching Prime and now i want the figs. I just bought some first edition ones and will be getting prime and bulkhead next week. That is the money I was giong to save for Hercules but I will get Hercules later. This is how I started with Animated and wound up with just about the entire toy line. I don't want to go down that dark path again lol. I do want the first edition and Ratchet and some decepticons though from Prime. Dammit it's starting. Well these can hold me over until I get Hercules and until this fall with I get the masterpeices. I am going to hold out for the Hasbro Prime, may pick up Starscream before hand though that will give me 5 seekers now so I am on the fence about that. Soundwave and Sideswipe will be christmas gifts.

The best looking figures of the line (Dreadwing/Skyquake, Breakdown, Ultra Magnus) aren't even out yet. You're screwed. :p

Speaking of starting things up again - I just went and ordered myself a FOC Bruticus and MP-10.

Let the good times roll (out) ! :-)

Pete

FYI: MP-10 will be getting a USA release as a TRU exclusive in October for around $100 or so. Slightly different coloring and paint apps.

Speaking of starting things up again - I just went and ordered myself a FOC Bruticus and MP-10.

Let the good times roll (out) ! :-)

Pete

Where'd you order Bruticus at? I'm holding off to try to snag a SDCC Gen 1-colored Bruticus from the Hasbro Toy Shop.

FYI: MP-10 will be getting a USA release as a TRU exclusive in October for around $100 or so. Slightly different coloring and paint apps.

Thanks, but I prefer the Japanese. It would be tempting if I still lived in the US and could just walk into a Target or Toys'r'us or whatever - but given that I have to ship from overseas anyways and pay hefty import taxes one way or another - I prefer to go for the Japanese version :-)

Although in the case of FOC Bruticus - I am getting the US version for sure. Takara-Tomy wait-time and paintjobs just don't work for me.

Where'd you order Bruticus at? I'm holding off to try to snag a SDCC Gen 1-colored Bruticus from the Hasbro Toy Shop.

I went with BBTS.

Pete

While MP10 is definitely on my list - I'm not going to get MP Sideswipe or Red Alert. I don't like the characters enough to bother. MP Nightbeat, Siren and Hosehead...there's three Autobots I DREAM of.

And an in scale Miss Fatale and related henchmen :-)

Pete

HLJ had MP-12 up for 20% off for like a week. I ordered mine then.

Yeah, that's where my pre-orders are too. It was your links I followed there. :)

Usually if it's an instant sell-out at Amiami it means there's going to be high demand after release.

Edited by Tober

• 2 weeks later...

So after all the news from SDCC, the ONLY thing I really want is FoC Grimlock(!!). I'm also stoked for First Edition toys coming back. I was sooo close to pulling the trigger on a FE Prime from Ebay (shiver).

Yeah, except that they said the FE toys are going to be exclusive to TRU, and out around November. TRU and November do NOT mix.

So David, you feel like picking the new Thundercracker? I remember you did a very nice repaint of the old mold.

Need better picks but I'm kinda glad I past on the Igear version.

Edited by Twoducks

I'm really torn on the new MP TC. It's neither color. Too dark for 'toon, too light for G1 toy. It really does seem to "please nobody" from what I'm reading----the toon fans want him lighter, the toy fans want him darker.

Plus, there's no silver. It's "that awful translucent silvery-grey" Hasbro loves to use the past few years.

I *hate* that tailfin logo. And it won't come off with rubbing alcohol---well, it would, but you'd strip the black paint off the tailfins too. You'd have to repaint the fins black to get rid of it. (at least the ugly oversized pilot name etc should come off easily)

But---it is the *new mold*. With much more G1-esque stripes than any prior US seeker release.

But I'd spend hours removing pointless printing on it (the tops of the intakes look ugly and stupid, despite being very toy-faithful), and have to repaint the tailfins regardless. And it STILL would be dull grey and medium blue, not silver and deep metallic blue. (it also looks to me like Hasbro is using charcoal grey or something instead of *black*) I just don't think it'd be worth it----it'd be only slightly less work than I did on my MP-07, but end up looking not nearly as good, color-wise. I don't think it'd be worth it/look that good in the end, whether I repaint or not. Not unless I find it for like 30-40 bucks somewhere.

Time to post a pic of mine again--what an MP Thundercracker SHOULD look like:

IMG_3722t.jpg

The black bits are *black* and the silver bits are *silver*. (not to mention the wonderfully glossy rich metallic blue of it all)

Older, un-insignia'd blurry pic of bot mode (but the best one I have):

IMG_2679T.jpg

Seibertron posted that the Springer repaint might make its way stateside (with the others in that group). It's yet another Springer repaint, but I like him, and the mold they are using is pretty cool. I may try to snag him.

MP Thundercracker seems nice. I'm not really a huge fan of the character or anything, I just like the blue deco, so I'll probably try to get him. The fact he's the new seeker mold really helps, if it had been the older one I'd have passed on it.

So is there any chance we will get a voyager class FoC Prime? Did Hasbro say they are going to make more FoC toys in this scale?

I'd love a Voyager FoC Prime. The only ones I've seen, though, are Ultra Magnus, Soundwave, Blaster, Soundblaster, and Grimlock.

Yeah, but it's still better odds that what I got right now. Shoot, I can't even find a Vehicon around here.

At two different stores, all I have here is Bumblebee. Two or three peghooks of Bumblebee. No Vehicons, no Knock Out.

Oh yeah, no domestic Breakdown release-boo!

WTF? He's one of the main characters! I want Breakdown a heck of a lot more than Dead End or some other crappy repaint.

I've been looking at some pics of Takara's PRID voyager Starcream. The fig looks pretty decent, despite the clear plastic forearms. Couldn't find any reviews for it though. (never mind--I actually mistyped review as preview in google. Still would like to hear some more opinions on the toy, though) I'm still undecided on whther I should get the toy or not.

Anyone here bought him? Any opinions on the toy?

Edited by GU-11

I've been looking at some pics of Takara's PRID voyager Starcream. The fig looks pretty decent, despite the clear plastic forearms. Couldn't find any reviews for it though. (never mind--I actually mistyped review as preview in google. Still would like to hear some more opinions on the toy, though) I'm still undecided on whther I should get the toy or not.

Not the Takara version, but I bought the Hasbro version awhile back. I'll repost what I wrote then.
Starscream, meanwhile, is one of the best Prime toys so far. His bot mode is pretty much spot on, with his smirking, hunched head, spindly limbs, and what have you. He's got a little more junk on his feet, his shoulder armor isn't quite right, and his chest place has a gap for a light-piped Decepticon symbol. Oh, and he's got a nose cone for a butt. But he still looks great. And yeah, his mech-tech weapon is just as lame and stupid as Bulkhead or Optimus's, but unlike them his is almost superfluous. He's got two missiles that clip onto his wings in alt mode, and wouldn't you know it, you can peg them on his forearms in bot mode, giving him the null-ray-looking G1-inspired look of the show. Sadly, they're molded gray. I may have to paint mine red.

His transformation is pretty straightforward, aside from some bits with his shoulders. His arms actually make up a lot of the back of the plane. His legs spoil is alt-mode a bit, though. Aside from sticking out a bit, his heels and ankles have some decorative bits that jut out even further. And he doesn't have any landing gear. Still, I'm mostly used to jets like the Generation Seekers, with their limited poseability, or Silverbolt, Jetfire, and Thunderwing, where you've basically got a plane with a robot underneath that turns into a robot with a plane on his back. Compared to them, Starscream's looking pretty good in his alt mode.

I have the Hasbro version. It's a great representation of Starscream...especially robot mode. The clear forearms don't bother me as much as I thought they would. He's the perfect scale to be posed with FE Arcee.

I ignore mech tech weapons so they don't factor into my opinion of any figure. The jet mode has some leg kibble that greatly detracts from its sleek silhouette. The figure could also use some additional (or more accurate) paint apps.

Besides the drawbacks mentioned above, it's an awesome figure and I don't regret the purchase.

Edited by RD Blade

Thanks for the input, RD Blade! That's one more vote for buying it.

As long as his bot mode is good, then I'm buying him. Good to hear that he scales well with FE Arcee--I've alrady bought her, and the two will make great fight scene opponents.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've still never seen a Vehicon or Knock Out, but my local Target had some Fall of Cybertron toys. Specifically, a lone Optimus and a pair of Jazzes.

I passed on Jazz. It's not that he looks bad, but the I've got no attachment to that design, which is honestly kind of dull compared to RTS Jazz. I did pick up Optimus though, since I buy pretty much every Optimus. I was prepared to be disappointed; pics I've seen have him looking smallish and kind of simple. I was pleasantly surprised though.

Yeah, he is smallish. In vehicle mode, he's shorter that pretty much every other Deluxe-class Transformer I own. In bot mode, he's a good head shorter than War for Cybertron Prime. But he's pretty solid, with no real lose pieces or floppy panels in alt mode. Transformation is simple, but that's kind of refreshing after how complicated War for Cybertron Prime was. In bot mode, the only kibble on him are the bumpers that fold down onto the bottom of his forearms. Unlike almost every other prime in recent memory, his back is basically kibble free. And he's pretty poseable too. If I have one complaint, aside from his size, it's that he's slightly oddly proportioned. His head and shoulders are set back a little bit, like he's permanently puffing his chest out.

Ultimately, I'd say I like him better than War for Cybertron Prime. I just can't believe that Deluxes have gone up to $14.99 despite shrinking to almost a Scout.