The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

While I know Dino was named after the founder of Ferrari, it's still a dumb name for a Transformer. Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind when I hear that name is a purple dinosaur charging Fred Flintstone when he comes back from work.

But because it's the coolest car alt mode in the whole movie there's going to be no actual toys of it in any size. Just like Mirrage/Dino.

Ah. Ok then. I can go back to ignoring the movie toys almost entirely, then.

While I know Dino was named after the founder of Ferrari, it's still a dumb name for a Transformer. Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind when I hear that name is a purple dinosaur charging Fred Flintstone when he comes back from work.

The founder's son.

Phyrox is right.

Enzo Ferrari, the founder, and his son Dino Ferrari.

My bad.

But for a guy who founded a company that makes super-cool cars, it's kind of weird for him to name his son after a purple dinosaur from a stone-age comedy cartoon. Or was there another inspiration?

My bad.

But for a guy who founded a company that makes super-cool cars, it's kind of weird for him to name his son after a purple dinosaur from a stone-age comedy cartoon. Or was there another inspiration?

Sadly, they are both dead today. Enzo named one of his cars after his tragically dead son, Dino.

I think the Flintstones was broadcasted in the end of the 1800s. So yeah, Enzo's son was named after a playful dinosaur pet, lol

My bad.

Alfredo Ferrari (born January 1932 in Modena; died 30 June 1956 in Modena), nicknamed Alfredino or Dino,

The Flintstones is an animated, prime-time American television sitcom that was broadcast from September 30, 1960, to April 1, 1966, on ABC.

born January 1932; died 30 June 1956

broadcast from september 30, 1960, to April 1, 1966

ಠ_ಠ

Ah, Enzo Ferrari; the man responsible for Lamborghini getting into the supercar business.

When you sell to a well off clientele and one of them is unhappy with your product, it's probably unwise to tell them to make their own if they think they can do better.

Alfredo Ferrari (born January 1932 in Modena; died 30 June 1956 in Modena), nicknamed Alfredino or Dino,

The Flintstones is an animated, prime-time American television sitcom that was broadcast from September 30, 1960, to April 1, 1966, on ABC.

born January 1932; died 30 June 1956

broadcast from september 30, 1960, to April 1, 1966

ಠ_ಠ

...which is why I asked if there might be another inspiration for the name. Admittedly though, I didn't know he died before The Flintstones were aired. But in my defense, the first thing that would pop into your mind when hearing that name would be that of a purple dinosaur that behaves like a dog, not the son of the founder of Ferrari--for me, at least.

Ah, Enzo Ferrari; the man responsible for Lamborghini getting into the supercar business.

When you sell to a well off clientele and one of them is unhappy with your product, it's probably unwise to tell them to make their own if they think they can do better.

Whoa, really? I never knew that. :o

Whoa, really? I never knew that. :o

Yeah, as I understood the story, Lamborghini started out as a very successful manufacturer of tractors. The tractor business was apparently good enough that the founder started collecting sports cars. The clutch busted on one of his Ferraris, and he figured out that Ferrari used the same clutches he used in his tractors. So he went to Ferrari and told them he wanted a better replacement. Ferrari told him that he was just a tractor maker and didn't know jack about making sports cars, Lamborghini got pissed and decided to give Ferrari the metaphorical finger by making his own sports car. Even sold the first ones at a loss to keep them competitively priced with Ferraris.

Yeah, as I understood the story, Lamborghini started out as a very successful manufacturer of tractors. The tractor business was apparently good enough that the founder started collecting sports cars. The clutch busted on one of his Ferraris, and he figured out that Ferrari used the same clutches he used in his tractors. So he went to Ferrari and told them he wanted a better replacement. Ferrari told him that he was just a tractor maker and didn't know jack about making sports cars, Lamborghini got pissed and decided to give Ferrari the metaphorical finger by making his own sports car. Even sold the first ones at a loss to keep them competitively priced with Ferraris.

From what I've seen so far of Ferrari, they do seem pretty snobbish and pushy. I read something about the company demanding that Bay name the Ferrari TF in DOTM Dino before allowing him to use the car in the film.

Edited by GU-11

Yes, it was a sarcastic Joke. I thought everyone knew The Flintstones didn't exist at the end of the 1800's.

My joke has failed, lets move on...

oh, and BTW, i played with Springer yesterday. The blade/sword doesn't want to remain in sword mode. Also, I am planing to modify Blitzwing head.

Edited by vlenhoff

speaking of which...

MP-13 is up on HLJ's Sept-Restock at 12640y. For those who prefer him over Hasbro's upcoming version.

Also, MP-19 Smokescreen up on pre-order as well at 5200y Dec-release. A bit of a price-hike in both preorder and msrp from both Prowl and Bluestreak versions. Smokey must have some other extras included to justify the price-hike.

That Soundwave box is extremely pretty, but what's with the Asian characters and the "MP-02"?

still want it.

I think Hasbro is rebooting. I guess Optimus was Mp-01.

I'm hoping the Takara tapes go on discount since nobody will be buying them at this point.

I'll probably get a US soundwave if I find one for preorder.

I really want Tigertrack's shoulder launcher and feet for my MP Sideswipe. (yes, MP Sideswipe may be toon-accurate----but that means he's friggin' BLAND in bot mode----the toy had so much more "life" to it do to the little details/accents here and there----Tigertrack has some of them, and they're exactly correct for Sideswipe too)

I think Hasbro is rebooting. I guess Optimus was Mp-01.

I'm hoping the Takara tapes go on discount since nobody will be buying them at this point.

I'll probably get a US soundwave if I find one for preorder.

I'd rather get the US Soundwave than the Takara tapes. Then I can have 2 Soundwaves, both full of tapes. :D

Edited by anime52k8

Is Tigertrack up for preorder anywhere except BBTS and TFSource? Do their prices seem a bit high?

IIRC, Tigertrack is a Japanese convention exclusive in a similar vain to Botcon figures.

correction, Tigertrack is an E-hobby web exclusive. BBTS/TFSource are buying these at retail in japan, importing them and reselling them, hence the higher price.

Edited by anime52k8

IIRC, Tigertrack is a Japanese convention exclusive in a similar vain to Botcon figures.

correction, Tigertrack is an E-hobby web exclusive. BBTS/TFSource are buying these at retail in japan, importing them and reselling them, hence the higher price.

I think the black jack-hammers are exclusive to the Tokyo Toy Hobby Show. Not sure tho. :unsure: