The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

My local TRU still has Thundercracker in stock. I still passed.

Don't ask me why, as I never collected Alternators or Binaltech, but I ordered Alternators Optimus Prime. $35 seemed reasonable.

Now I'm kind of thinking I might like Alternity Prime, since the GT-R is one of my more favorite cars. Is his alt mode in scale with the Alternators/Binaltech version? He seems a little pricey...

Well, well, well.. Check it out! Somebody did the work for me.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DCT10001&mode=retail&utm_source=retail_news&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BigBadToyStore-Retail&utm_content=

DCT10001.jpg

I don't like the MP Seekers. It's cool that Kawamori did them.. and the plane mode is awesome in terms of realism, but the Robot mode leaves a lot to be desired.

The legs are the worst part. You can't really get a good A stance out of them, and the feet are just too small and poorly designed to hold up all the weight. I also don't like all the wing sections hanging around the hip. And yeah, the chest is a little odd.

Also, the scale is a bit off. They shouldn't be bigger than, or the same height as prime.

I much prefer my Generations seekers. I enjoy posing them all the time and get some really cool action poses out of two I have.

I hope they rework them at some point and bring them into true MP scale. I'll probably keep my Skywarp for plane accuracy, but yeah.

The TRU version are really terrible. They looks so cheap with the plain jane paint jobs they have.

Edited by Gakken85

Is his alt mode in scale with the Alternators/Binaltech version? He seems a little pricey...

Nope. Alternators are 1:24 scale. And if I'm not mistaken, Alternity are 1:32 (roughly the size of Deluxe Class TF cars before the downsizing a couple years ago).

Ya know, I own very few transformers (Lockdown and movie Ransack the only ones on display), but I could get really into a series of in-scale transformers.

It'll never happen of course, because people want the "leaders" to be big, and everyone else to be about the same size, and because the real difference in size between a plane and a car is quite drastic...but I'd love to have a bunch of little car dudes, with some slightly larger tank/semitruck/commercial vehicle guys, towered over by a few aerialbots and seekers. A series like that...I'd buy.

When I had my own office I decided to have a shelf dedicated to 1/144, to illustrate the sizes of various vehicles. I had a submarine, bombers, fighters (old and new), tanks, cars, a few people, a castle...I bought things I normally wouldn't just because it was in 1/144 and would be interesting standing next to a Lancaster. If there were a whole series transformers in the same scale, I'd buy 'em all. A scale would be really hard though. I think 1/48 might give you cars large enough to do some basic G1-esque transformations and still give you planes small enough to fit on a shelf (small planes like F-16s).

Nope. Alternators are 1:24 scale. And if I'm not mistaken, Alternity are 1:32 (roughly the size of Deluxe Class TF cars before the downsizing a couple years ago).

Man. The cheapest prices I'm seeing on any Alternity Prime is kind of expensive for a Deluxe-class size. I might have to pass on that...

I got this while at lunch today:

He's out already? How is he? Worth buying if you already have Springer?

As much as I've enjoyed the new Generations Voyagers, where's the Deluxes already? I really want IDW Megatron and Trailbreaker/Trailcutter, mostly want IDW Bumblebee, and sort of want Orion Pax.

I don't like the MP Seekers. It's cool that Kawamori did them.. and the plane mode is awesome in terms of realism, but the Robot mode leaves a lot to be desired.

The legs are the worst part. You can't really get a good A stance out of them, and the feet are just too small and poorly designed to hold up all the weight. I also don't like all the wing sections hanging around the hip. And yeah, the chest is a little odd.

Also, the scale is a bit off. They shouldn't be bigger than, or the same height as prime.

The legs, arms and tail kibble on the hips are all fixed on the MP-11/TRU Thundercracker versions of the mold. Just so you know. I've only got 1 generation seeker. I've got a Thundercracker because I like the color, but Man does that toy feel dated.

Ya know, I own very few transformers (Lockdown and movie Ransack the only ones on display), but I could get really into a series of in-scale transformers.

It'll never happen of course, because people want the "leaders" to be big, and everyone else to be about the same size, and because the real difference in size between a plane and a car is quite drastic...but I'd love to have a bunch of little car dudes, with some slightly larger tank/semitruck/commercial vehicle guys, towered over by a few aerialbots and seekers. A series like that...I'd buy.

When I had my own office I decided to have a shelf dedicated to 1/144, to illustrate the sizes of various vehicles. I had a submarine, bombers, fighters (old and new), tanks, cars, a few people, a castle...I bought things I normally wouldn't just because it was in 1/144 and would be interesting standing next to a Lancaster. If there were a whole series transformers in the same scale, I'd buy 'em all. A scale would be really hard though. I think 1/48 might give you cars large enough to do some basic G1-esque transformations and still give you planes small enough to fit on a shelf (small planes like F-16s).

movie starscream and movie bumblebee at 1/144 scale. (non-transformable).

2wpnurt.jpg

Man. The cheapest prices I'm seeing on any Alternity Prime is kind of expensive for a Deluxe-class size. I might have to pass on that...

Keep in mind it's a Deluxe-class toy with a fully painted, mostly die cast car body.

My first impressions on Sandstorm...

Sandy's just a little bit back-heavy in bot-mode and his heels could do a better job, but nevertheless, it's all good. His joints are tighter and better than Springer's. Especially the hips. My Springer likes to do splits sometimes, but Sandy doesn't.

DSC_6253_NEF.jpg

DSC_6278_NEF.jpg

Despite being back-heavy, he is definitely a keeper. Hasbro did a great re-tooling.

Might do his other modes later or some other time.

:D

He's out already? How is he? Worth buying if you already have Springer?

I picked up a Sandstorm this past weekend. Was surprised to find one so soon. Definitely worth a double dip. He's only technically the same mold as Springer. Peaugh's video review points out that there are more unique parts on each figure than common ones.

Keep in mind it's a Deluxe-class toy with a fully painted, mostly die cast car body.

And I'd rather they used plastic molded in the correct colors and made the toy cheaper, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, paint's nice. Especially on a car. But I can seriously do without die cast.

Is there something that has conclusively said that the Masterpiece Bumblebee is G1? Because I can only think it's going to be a revamp of the movie "masterpiece" that was issued a few years back...

That isn't going to happen, besides, the movie MPs are under a different numbering system (they went under MPM, not MP). With upcoming Bumblebee being MP-21, and the fact that Takara stated that they "finally" got that hard to acquire car license, MP-21 is most likely gonna be a VW Bug.

I'm still on the fence with Sandstorm. Those huge rear wheels look kinda wonky in car mode.

I love Classics stuff, but I really wish they would retire the Seeker mold already. Is it too much to ask for a unique mold for a convention exclusive?

Actually yes it is. Producing a fully realized transformer with a significant amounts of unique tooling is a lengthy and extremely expensive process. Unless you want to pay a couple hundred dollars per figure at the show you're not going to see much in the way of new tooling beyond a couple heads and/or accessories.

Hasbro Metroplex available on pre-order in amzn right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFWWD7O/

$124.99 (plus applicable sales tax)

free shipping.

hurry in before the scalpers.

Appreciate the notice, but I think I'm going to pass. I'm a little tapped out right now after buying a new phone, laptop, and Alternators Prime within a month, especially when I'm giving serious thought to quitting my job. Besides, I'm not sure I like Metroplex $125 worth, especially with Hasbro MP Soundwave around the corner.

Can't decide if I love acid storm.. or I think he's the ugliest thing I've ever seen...

Are his legs chunkier than other versions or is it just me?

Gotta agree on Metroplex. It just screams cheap to me. The Takara version is a little better, but the Alt Modes just look like crap. Not worth the space it would take up.

Edited by Gakken85

That's sexy. Still kind of wish Hasbro Soundwave had more differences from Takara Soundwave.

The fighters are technically 1/60 scale. But the robot mode scale is all off.

DSC00694_1372458066.jpg

That back fin isn't on the other seeker is it? did they bulk up the legs or something?

Acid Storm is the same mold as the Takara MP-11 SScream and Hasbro ThunderCracker. Just re-colored.

Wow, that's sad. Botcon's this weekend. The big main Hasbro panel was today. And there's really nothing interesting to report. And a few pathetic things.

News that is sure to shock some: Lots of repaints coming in every line! Many with remolded heads!

As for actual new stuff----IMHO the biggest thing is a new Voyager Rhinox. Looks very nice.

As for pathetic--you know the TF: Prime Terrorcons? Like Twinstrike(Sinnertwin) and Whatshisname(Cutthroat)? And they make a not-so-good Abominus? Well, Hasbro's making bigger deluxe versions, yay! And they'll be big deluxes like from years ago, not the newer smaller deluxes of recently. Sounds, good, right? You're imagining buying all 5 of these new delux Terrorcons and making an awesome Abominus?

Yeah, Hasbro's not doing that. They are simply upscaling the existing legion molds. No changes. Wrists for Twinstrike? Nope. ANY articulation in the arms/necks? Nope. One more hinge to fold away some back-kibble? Not! It is exactly the same as the $5 version. Just now bigger and $15. Oh, and they removed the combiner attachment points. So no big Abominus. But you can have a much bigger, unarticulated Twinstrike now. So Hasbro's basically doing what the KO companies have been for years---making bigger versions of existing molds.

This is their M.O for the future. Bigger, simpler toys. Instead of making smaller toys to save costs like present, they're going to make bigger toys made of fewer parts to save costs. Simple transformations with minimal articulation, but large figures. It's G1 all over again, in a way. But probably not what most G1 fans really want...

And that doesn't bode well for TF4 movie figures. It's like Hasbro got a massive backlash from parents over ROTF/DOTM figure complexities, and did more than just "ease off", they completely overshot it.

Too bad there was no real QA session, I would have loved for someone to ask if Doubledealer (Blitzwing repaint) would have fixed shoulders. And what are the odds Hasbro would have said "What's wrong with his shoulders?" :p