1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Note the reference - Macross Chronicle FB2012 VF-4 page. Just double checked. No, repeat, no VF-X VF-4 on that page. Only FB2012 and M3.

does the Chronicle have any artwork of the Valkyries from the two VF-X games besides the promotional posters

? Which Valkyries are you referring to?

I'm going to add to my preceding post: the VF-4 page does have the GERWALK, Battroid and rough transformation line art from VF-X, but the ones that are coloured are in the M3 Max/Miria blue/red scheme.

So... my post above should probably be corrected to read: the page being used as an image reference does not have the colour and markings for the VF-X game.

Edited by sketchley

Wow! That fighter looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing EXO. I guess you'd have to paint the entire thing white for the FB2012 custom (or is it just the moveable surfaces?) - or maybe keep the grey and do a low-viz version maybe where you'd only have to paint the tails.

I just hope we can get our hands on one of these beauties here in Canada without too much of a markup.

I'm really happy about the scheme. I'm always asking for gray versions of every valk. I guess I should be careful of what I wish for.

I'm also wary of the standing issue, though I can't see myself displaying it in anything but fighter. It's just about knowing whether it can stand or not. Although we had the same conversations about the QRau and the Beagle Mospeada. But looking at the pictures, how can we not have doubts?

I'm going to add to my preceding post: the VF-4 page does have the GERWALK, Battroid and rough transformation line art from VF-X, but the ones that are coloured are in the M3 Max/Miria blue/red scheme.

Hmmn. I was hoping for a possible Max/Milia release, but the chronicle has the exact same uber-bland version that M3 does----the worst-looking of all Max/Milia valks. Always thought it was strange, since M3's version of Milia's VF-11 looks even better than it did in M7 Plus. (I'd still love a Milia VF-11, in either variation, but M3 is better)

Almost every valk in M3 has a really nice paint job, better than most places---but it's like someone else did the schemes for the VF-4 in that game.

I'm also wary of the standing issue ... looking at the pictures, how can we not have doubts?

Maybe it's just me, but given how this very same worry has come up every time we've seen a prototype with a stand since at least when I first joined the forum, around 2001 or whenever, and has pretty much never wound up being an issue, I just find it a bit funny now.

I'll be worried if we see final production models all using stands and not a single image of one without. A partially assembled resin prototype doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Maybe it's just me, but given how this very same worry has come up every time we've seen a prototype with a stand since at least when I first joined the forum, around 2001 or whenever, and has pretty much never wound up being an issue, I just find it a bit funny now.

I'll be worried if we see final production models all using stands and not a single image of one without. A partially assembled resin prototype doesn't worry me in the slightest.

I'm still convinced they'll do it right. I just thought it was interesting. Upon closer inspection it's obvious that thigh isn't really braced where it should be on the final version anyway and it's still being propped up. Even still it looks damn good even in it's floppy form. I think they'll be smart with both Diecast placement and using the lightest parts where they can to balance it out. The 17 and 19 have been rock solid in Battroid. They seem to be getting their stuff together these days.

I am liking the fact that they've been using the old YF-21 stand to prop it up so far. Even better, the pics of the stand mount in fighter actually look like it's sitting under the bulk of the plane, instead of near the nose. And even if it does need a stand to stay up in battroid, I'm ok with that, because mine will probably be in permanent fighter mode anyway. :p

I don't care for the gray color on the nose though, I agree, the old buff-colored nose would look better, if only because it would go along with the vintage F-14 markings I might be tempted to put on one of these. The low-vis color is beautiful though. I do hope they lower the UN kites on the nose a little from where they put the stickers on though, they look too high at the moment.

But yeah. I'd love if they cast the tails in white and painted the control surfaces white for us, but with the way the VF-4 transforms, you've really got no reason not to paint the wings and tails. Once we get better shots of it, I think I'll work up a photoshop to see how these markings would look on it. :)

114228.jpg

Is it just me, or does the head position look wrong? It looks like it is floating on the back pack section and misaligned from the body. I hope they just mis transformed it and forgot to slide the head forward. I really want this for fighter mode though, more than anything.

Edited by Loop

like does it have the color schemes

such as VF-X VF-4

Nope.

or VF-X2 VF-19 or VF-17

etc.

Didn't look. Just keep in mind that the only VFX/VFX2 content that appears in MC is stuff that didn't appear in any other section (the exception is the VF-4. But it only got 1/6 of a page, and most of that was text with a low-rez in-game promo picture).

Is that VF-4 on the right another resin prototype or preproduction plastic? And one other thing I thought the VF-4G was a late mod like '40 era shouldn't it be flying a NUNS label instead of UN spacey?

Edited by MichaelS

That Battroid from the latest pic looks like it might have too much weight on it's back. I know it's a prototype pic, but I hope the final version's not gonna need some kind of permanent prop just to keep it in that particular mode.

That Battroid from the latest pic looks like it might have too much weight on it's back. I know it's a prototype pic, but I hope the final version's not gonna need some kind of permanent prop just to keep it in that particular mode.

The shoulder pauldrons should slide forward a bit. So there will (hopefully) be a bit less back overhang.

I don't care for the gray color on the nose though, I agree, the old buff-colored nose would look better, if only because it would go along with the vintage F-14 markings I might be tempted to put on one of these. The low-vis color is beautiful though. I do hope they lower the UN kites on the nose a little from where they put the stickers on though, they look too high at the moment.

I really dislike tan colored nose cones on jets; they look goofy to me. White, black or Grey as contrasting colors and that's it.

Edited by anime52k8

Really? They slide forward. That'll make a HUGE difference on this thing.

According to the line art the shoulder pauldrons stick out a fair bit past the grey hinge parts on the chest. on the toy they're not. They SHOULD slide forward in order to match the lineart.

vf-4-styled-battroid.png

According to the line art the shoulder pauldrons stick out a fair bit past the grey hinge parts on the chest. on the toy they're not. They SHOULD slide forward in order to match the lineart.

I can’t find anything about such sliding movement in the transformation details so I’d say there’s a certain amount of anime magic involved once again. You say the shoulders SHOULD move forward, I say they COULD, but, looking at all the available CAD drawings and pics, it looks like they simply WON’T.

post-12283-0-16572800-1343337806_thumb.jpg post-12283-0-00302200-1343337815_thumb.jpg

post-12283-0-18647300-1343337824_thumb.jpg

Yep, the shoulder pauldrons appear to be fixed in position. Again, making those pauldrons slide forward and be able to rotate (Little things some of us have been saying for a while) would have improved the appearance AND the balance. Isn't there also some lineart that indicates that the boosters in the back of the pauldrons can fold down? I'll have to dig through my files . . . . Ooops, just checked it, no.

Heh, maybe if the web exclusive does well it's something that Yamato can revisit. Nonetheless, they've already outdone all the garage kits by a wide margin, and are making a VF that I thought would never get made. They've also done a remarkable job with proportions and details over all - its not as good as it COULD be, but its almost amazingly better than anything like this would be expected to be. Its the first VF-4 toy ever made, and one of the few variable fighters Yamato has made that didn't have earlier toy prototypes to study and improve on (also most of the material that is used is sketchy and officially unfinished). I try not to be an optimist or pessimist, but under the circumstances I'd say that while the glass isn't full to the brim it's mostly full, and if you like this kind of liquour the drinks pretty tasty too. :)

Edited by NeoverseOmega