Yamato 1/48th scale question

Rabbid Potato

They're a beast of their own so they still command some popularity. It's not quite like a version 1 toy and then a version 2 toy like we're seeing right now with the Bandai 1/60 DX VF-25 toys (version 1 toys are being relegated to rubbish bins). The 1/48's popularity has certainly been diminished by the V2 1/60 toys but you'll still find collectors who prefer the sheer size of the 1/48 and it's little details like air brakes and wing flaps.

You know I used to have nearly the entire 1/48 line, and I told myself I'd never get a 1/60 vf-1. That of course was about a year ago, and 5 v2 vf-1's later I'm happy I sold off my 1/48 line, they were WAY to big, box and figure, not accurate enough for my liking, and the selections are quite limited.

The OP's questions wasn't "What's the difference?", it was "Do people still seek out and purchase 1/48 VF-1 toys?". There are other good things about the 1/48 toy besides the size as has already been pointed out in this thread.

That said, the Stealth VF-1J (without super parts) wasn't a brisk mover back in the day. It eventually was sold at steep discounts because fans tended to shy away from Yamato's non-canon efforts (which is probably why Yamato now makes blank valks more frequently than non-canon schemes). So, it might be tough to sell a 1/48 VF-1J Stealth toy for the kind of scratch that would allow a straight trade for V2 VF-25. I say this being completely ignorant though of what 1/48 VF-1J Stealths are going for these days, they probably weren't produced in high quantities so they might be becoming more collectable.

But 1/48 has more different color schemes, especially like GBP sets( Camo, Woods & etc...)! Stealth VF-1J is always be my favourite 1/48 toy following by the LV1 VF-1A..lol!

kinda, the 1/60 has the low viz 1s, the vf-x, the CF 1j, tv 1s, and the two seaters.

The OP's questions wasn't "What's the difference?", it was "Do people still seek out and purchase 1/48 VF-1 toys?". There are other good things about the 1/48 toy besides the size as has already been pointed out in this thread.

Fair enough, I've never bought any 1/48 and I will not buy them in future because of the difference that I mentioned. Some people like the bigger chest, elongated fuselage, saggy shoulders, bulky legs, but I hate those in 1/48. Besides the physical proportion, the 1/48 toys are what Yamato regarded as their G2 toy line and I'm not a big fan on these G2 toy line.

I still think the 1/48 has a superior shoulder hinge design (NOT talking about durability/cracking--PURELY on looks/aesthetics in battroid mode) and FAST pack booster mounts. If my 1/60 v.2 didn't have that big chunk of plastic connecting the boosters, it'd be almost perfect. But it does. The 1/48 booster mounts seemed better in every way, IMHO. (and I swear they're on straighter in the 1/48)

Oh yeah---the "hook" on the 1/60 backpack. The 1/48 was better---it was hidden, and didn't cause the tailfins to rub. The 1/60 hook is useless, as it puts way too much bending on the backpack by moving it WAY far forward, ensuring you'll lose tailfin paint, AND it's quite visible when not in use in GERWALK and fighter mode. Looks like an aborted tailhook in fighter mode.

So, if my 1/60 didn't have the big booster-connector-piece AND didn't have that ugly hook-thing behind the tailfins, it'd be almost perfect.

(I have considered many times selling my 1/48 Milia to have an all-1/60 collection, but always keep thinking about these issues---plus the current cost and un-availability of a 1/60 Milia)

I think the shoulder design on the 1/48 is better. The shoulder ball joint is independent to the upper arm and not stuck to it. But then again the 1/60 has the second elbow joint that is better for posing the gun. The thing I hate is that the secondary joint moves primarily... it's shouldn't bend until the main elbow joint has fully bent. A lot of give and take between the 2 scales.

Version 3!!!

lol

I only really like the 1/60's because they are in scale with the rest of the valkyries and also took up less space and generally had tighter joints. Plus, that scale had the two seaters where the 1/48's didn't.

My beefs with the 1/60's are as other people have mentioned. That stupid ugly hook thing that leaves a hole in the tail and seems to put a lot of stress on the backpack joint. The extra piece needed to attach to the boosters. It doesn't look right and also scrapes against the top surface of the fighter... especially annoying if you have a clear coat on them. Lack of surface details compared to the 1/48.

However, I didn't really care so much about the loss of gimmicks.

Like most contributors of this thread have pointed out, there are still collectors who appreciate the 1/48 and continue to collect them. Those of use who still collect these old giants often prefer the size, details, gimmicks, and overall appeal.

I would say for the most part, I trully enjoy its' size, that allows for continued modification.

I recently picked up a 1/60 V.2 TV Roy VF-1S to compare to my custom 1/48 TV Roy VF-1S. Personally, the 1/48 wins my vote.

The only reason I am going to hold on to the 1/60 Roy is that it rounds out a future project I have. It involves Roy, Hikaru & Minmei (in VF-1D), Regult-HDP, and a pulped and bloody Zhentloudhy. ;)

I've never understood the argument that the 1/48's are more detailed than the 1/60's. comparing the 48's I have to the 60's, they've got more or less the same panel lines; similar detail in the cockpit and landing gear bays; and use clear part and paint in equal measure. The only details the 1/48's have that the 1/60's are missing that I can think of are the mechanical details relating to the nose radar and air brake. That said I think the 1/60's win for detail having better sculpting to the intakes and feet as well as lots of tampo printed markings.

Anyways; I much prefer the 1/60's over the 1/48's to the point where I don't think I'll ever get another 1/48. For all the negatives about the 1/60's people can come up with, I just can't get past how much better looking the 1/60 is compared to the 1/48. The 1/60's are just so proportional and has such perfect lines to them that they make the 1/48's look positively chunky and bloated by comparison. That coupled with the fact that my particular copies have always felt very rickety has left me with very little love for the 1/48's I do own. I probably wouldn't sell them since they're in rough enough shape that it wouldn't be worth the effort, but they're both currently relegated to a dark corner of my Macross shelf where I don't have to look at them too much.

Edited by anime52k8

I probably wouldn't sell them since they're in rough enough shape that it wouldn't be worth the effort, but they're both currently relegated to a dark corner of my macross shelf where I don't have to look at them too much.

my two (DYRL -1A Hikaru, -1S Focker) were pretty rough as well, after the better part of ten years of use.

regardless, i was able to sell them off here on MW, not long back, for what i consider a very fair price, quite quickly.

there seems to be plenty of 1/48 fans out there willing to buy even heavily used 1/48 examples for spare parts/customizations/etc...

Edited by Shaorin

My only Yammie, period, is a 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S . I'm a fan of the scale series just out of the fact that I haven't been able to mess with the 1/60 versions. My only complaint I have is the tiny hands it has. Half the time I almost feel like I'm going to break them in transformation.

My first Yamato product and only 1:48 is the first release of the Roy VF-1S, and it has become fairly floppy after only about 10-15 or so transformations since I got it. And the flaps pretty much fall off if you look at them wrong, and the arms drag the ground in fighter mode with the fast pack pieces attached....The 1:48's were EPICALLY cool back in their day, but for me.....sorry,,,,,,,,,,1:60's ver2 rule. :wub:

Edited by derex3592

Like a few others have said I've shed all but (1) of my 1/48 (a MIB Low Vis v1) in favor of the 1/60 v2. If a particularly interesting scheme was released then I'd be tempted, but the 1/60 scale suits my tastes and current space limitations just fine.

-b.