Yamato 1/60 VF-19S/F/P - All Variants

charger69

Just got my 19S from HKC, along with a 17S, last friday; placed the order on the 16th of March, shipped on the 21st.

I've got to admit that Yamato's VF-19s are impressive pieces of engineering, but my original nitpicks still hold and have been confirmed:

1. I don't like the ultra gloss finish, I much prefer the matte used on every other VF Yamato has made since the old M+ 1/72s. It's even glossier than what Bandai's been doing with their Frontier fare;
  2. Still think the innability to remove the intake covers, if one so choses, to be a major design cop-out on their part.

And to those two criticisms I can also add:

1. The LERXes, both sides, are very loose and rotate out of allignment at the slightest touch;
  2. They made the toy gloss, so why did they make the sticker sheet matte? Odd;
  3. Is the gunpod supposed to point down at 10-15o from horizontal when mounted to the arms in fighter mode? Or am I doing something wrong? Because, if it does point down by design, that's just lame.

On the plus side:

1. It is a true improvement over the old YF-19... look ma, no gullet!
  2. The blue is beautiful, the yellow is vibrant; if only it were matte it would be perfect... personal preference, I know, but still...;
  3. I suppose the gloss finish will make the stickers adhere better... if they only matched the finish of the toy...

Overall I'm not sorry I got it, at least now I have one; and I would buy the F model, and maybe even a P, if I could find them for the same price I got on the S.

Edited by mechaninac

Just got my 19S from HKC, along with a 17S, last friday; placed the order on the 16th of March, shipped on the 21st.

I've got to admit that Yamato's VF-19s are impressive pieces of engineering, but my original nitpicks still hold and have been confirmed:

1. I don't like the ultra gloss finish, I much prefer the matte used on every other VF Yamato has made since the old M+ 1/72s. It's even glossier than what Bandai's been dooing with their Frontier fare;
  2. Still think the innability to remove the intake covers, if one so choses, to be a major design cop-out on their part.

And to those two criticisms I can also add:

1. The LERXes, both sides, are very loose and rotate out of allignment at the slightest touch;
  2. They made the toy gloss, so why did they make the sticker sheet matte? Odd;
  3. Is the gunpod supposed to point down at 10-15o from horizontal when mounted to the arms in fighter mode? Or am I doing something wrong? Because, if it does point down by design, that's just lame.

On the plus side:

1. It is a true improvement over the old YF-19... look ma, no gullet!
  2. The blue is beautiful, the yellow is vibrant; if only it were matte it would be perfect... personal preference, I know, but still...;
  3. I suppose the gloss finish will make the stickers adhere better... if they only matched the finish of the toy...

Overall I'm not sorry I got it, at least now I have one; and I would buy the F model, and maybe even a P, if I could find them for the same price I got on the S.

The Gunpod does partially collapse, however it still doesn't sit flush. That's an engineering error if you as me.

Also, the gloss finish makes getting decals right even more of a bitch. They're more likely to slide around, and if you haven't quite trimmed them right it REALLY shows up.

Which is why i never put any stickers on my FireValk or my 19F. Usually I'm all about stickers, panel lines, and details but on this you just gotta go for that "cartoon" look.

I was more selective with what stickers I would apply to my 19's (S and F anyway, I won't bother with the P.) Anything with White looked pretty good. Some of the Red stickers are okay. Black looks terrible and always stands out no matter what type of sticker I've attempted to put on.

i've had what i feel to be reasonable success with the labels on my own 19S;

VF-19SJOHN-3-30-131_zps8d0f4daf.jpg

VF-19SJOHN-3-30-133_zps2857b473.jpg

VF-19SJOHN-3-30-135_zps78253841.jpg

- they do indeed stick out rather awkwardly, borders and all, but if that is this valks' worst sin, color me impressed all the same.

it does seem regrettable that YAMATO didn't opt for gloss finish labels, but if the rampant peeling/separation of the gloss labels

provided with the old 1/72 MAC + examples were any indicator of inherent issues with such labels,

than i can see where Yammie was coming from with their final choices.

all the same, mounting of the Gunpod in FIGHTER does indeed suck the big one, the only true design flaw, IMHO...

Edited by Shaorin

- they do indeed stick out rather awkwardly, borders and all, but if that is this valks' worst sin, color me impressed all the same.

it does seem regrettable that YAMATO didn't opt for gloss finish labels, but if the rampant peeling/separation of the gloss labels

provided with the old 1/72 MAC + examples were any indicator of inherent issues with such labels,

all the same, mounting of the Gunpod in FIGHTER does indeed suck the big one, the only true design flaw, IMHO...

Ive hated stickers since my gundam building days. Bandai included stickers and a small sheet of dry transfers. For the price yamato charged for these things they couldve included dry transfers or water slides. That being said i do like the shoulder markings on yours and if i apply any stickers on mine when i receive it, it will be those

Edited by anubis20

The thing is that even as you have them now the stickers really stand out to me. I've gone as far as carving the bit of sticker inside the zero's and the curved spaces inside the S'es (which is a colossal bitch) so that they don't show. On the other matte Valks (well, not the really dark one's like the Vf-17) I can get away with not doing that but it all REALLY stands out on the 19's.

Yeah, all reasons why I never apply any stickers at all to my yammies. I never even put the nose kites on my one 1/48th VF-1. :p

Anyway, as far as the gunpod goes, yeah, it does point down a bit. It's kind of a combination of effects from the handle being short, the arms being high, and the crotch plate only collapsing so far. The speaker pod launcher for the Fire Valk is a little more straight.

Didn't get a P, but I picked up a VF-19S from there, and it just arrived in fine shape. You have some kind of issue with it?

I got a P from an eBay seller and it arrived horribly packed with bumped corners, then the figure had a paint chip and two small areas of overspray, or paint transfer, whatever you call it. I contacted them and they never replied until i contacted them again 4 days later saying that i was gonna keep it. Then they replied saying, yeah ok whatever. I had decided to get another, which i wanted anyway, so now i'm not sure who to trust! I've been considering Amazon too.

The absurd thing is that i had got an F, from another eBay seller, and that arrived with a slightly deformed right wing. That eBay seller however was very helpful and they replied quickly about returning it.

PS I'm not going to name and shame that seller publicly, but i will say who it is if anyone PMs me!

Edited by Dimis

I got a P from an eBay seller and it arrived horribly packed with bumped corners, then the figure had a paint chip and two small areas of overspray, or paint transfer, whatever you call it. I contacted them and they never replied until i contacted them again 4 days later saying that i was gonna keep it. Then they replied saying, yeah ok whatever. I had decided to get another, which i wanted anyway, so now i'm not sure who to trust! I've been considering Amazon too.

The absurd thing is that i had got an F, from another eBay seller, and that arrived with a slightly deformed right wing. That eBay seller however was very helpful and they replied quickly about returning it.

PS I'm not going to name and shame that seller publicly, but i will say who it is if anyone PMs me!

You can trust HKC. I got my VF-19P from them last week in pristine condition. All boxes were bubblewrapped and placed in a shipping box that was lined with styrofoam.

http://www.hkcollectibles.com/macross-robotech/7151-vf-19p-planet-zola-patrol-color.html

Plus, they have great customer service.

I got my VF-19 Kai and Sound Booster yesterday. Total for this was $125 shipped!! The booster i got from ebay for the $65 and the fire valk from a friend for $60!!! How could it be $60 you ask? Because i think this is the first fire valk lemon there is. Some issues are minor:

- Minor amounts of rust on the pins holding the missiles. (don't really care since i never mess with those missiles anyway)

- Crotch plate would not stay up in battroid mode. (fixed with super glue)

- The right hip joint, if i move the leg back it will actually go over the button and come down. Its like the button comes out a millimeter less than the left side and thats enough to dislodge it when moving the legs. Its not floppy or anything. If you pick up the valk it still stays up but when you move the leg back it moves. Something has to blocking the button from coming out all the way. I'll eventually try to take it apart but that'll be later but for now Im too happy to mess with it lol.

5280CC88-CF6E-422C-80FD-5B89FE1DCBC2-6994-000003C7C10C30E6.jpg

B2B27003-1C1C-45B1-AD72-8410605BF327-8292-0000047EEB16A0B9.jpg

463F827D-3707-4CA5-8CDE-A45F8E6CE1EB-7209-000003CFF4BEDF23.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. Man, what a good deal you had, I just bought from HK Collectibles, and with the savings and shipping, it still comes to 200$ !!! Anyways, I love the batroid mode picture, but not sold yet on the booster. One I get it, I will probably display it without the gun, with Kai on it's shoulder. Kai is my favorate hero in all of Macross, so I am very excited to receive this, this along with the Fans Project Quakewave (shockwave) I received are probably going to be my best toys in my whole collection, along with my yf-21, yf-19, and MP Grimlock. I have to admit though, the vf-1/48 have still proven to be my most sturdy good looking toys, but hopping the vf-19 will be almost as sturdy as it is supposed to be one of Yamato best toy.

Thanks for posting the pics. Man, what a good deal you had, I just bought from HK Collectibles, and with the savings and shipping, it still comes to 200$ !!! Anyways, I love the batroid mode picture, but not sold yet on the booster. One I get it, I will probably display it without the gun, with Kai on it's shoulder. Kai is my favorate hero in all of Macross, so I am very excited to receive this, this along with the Fans Project Quakewave (shockwave) I received are probably going to be my best toys in my whole collection, along with my yf-21, yf-19, and MP Grimlock. I have to admit though, the vf-1/48 have still proven to be my most sturdy good looking toys, but hopping the vf-19 will be almost as sturdy as it is supposed to be one of Yamato best toy.

Yea if you can get the booster for cheap id say go for it. But yea i still feel like i overpaid of it because it really does nothing lol I wouldve never paid the 100+ it commanded when it was first released. Its super solid in fighter mode and battroid is solid as well but mine has that small minor flaw but then again im not playing with it. i just pose it and let it stand on the shelf :)

It IS Yamato's best toy.

It's certainly my favourite transforming toy. YF19, YF21? More like why bother!!!

Well, the yf-21 has the sleekest alienesh fighter mode of any valk out there, and is one of my favorites. The yf-19, well, a second version will never be made by Yamato, and many, including myself, like the yf-19 better than the vf-19, but of course, its is a very loosy goosy mess. I am hoping the vf-19 is extremely sturdy. Not sure if I will keep both the VF-19 Kai and the VF-19S that should be coming in the next few weeks (it is kinda expensive having both, unless I can sell some of my old toys)

Edited by Arthurius

Well, the yf-21 has the sleekest alienesh fighter mode of any valk out there, and is one of my favorites. The yf-19, well, a second version will never be made by Yamato, and many, including myself, like the yf-19 better than the vf-19, but of course, its is a very loosy goosy mess. I am hoping the vf-19 is extremely sturdy. Not sure if I will keep both the VF-19 Kai and the VF-19S that should be coming in the next few weeks (it is kinda expensive having both, unless I can sell some of my old toys)

it is sturdy. everything locks into place.

YF21 used to be my favourite design of them all [only closely matched by Gamlin's VF22S], and it is a very sleek figure, but as a transformable TOY, it pales in comparison to the VF19.

Trust me. The VF19 toys rock whether you like the designs or not ;)

Especially going from battroid back to fighter takes A LOT of patience.

Especially going from battroid back to fighter takes A LOT of patience.

it does, but getting the hang of it (via numerous transformations) allows for a surprisingly quick and painless process.

you just gotta know where and how to put pressure. take some time to study and understand the mechanism; it'll be second nature in no time flat.

also, this baby is indeed a ROCK. it's no 1/55, but it sure is the closest YAMATO ever came to chunky-monkey sturdiness...

it does, but getting the hang of it (via numerous transformations) allows for a surprisingly quick and painless process.

you just gotta know where and how to put pressure. take some time to study and understand the mechanism; it'll be second nature in no time flat.

also, this baby is indeed a ROCK. it's no 1/55, but it sure is the closest YAMATO ever came to chunky-monkey sturdiness...

It's not so much the steps as the fact that a few of them require "sweet spot" pressure, instead of nicely falling into place as they do now in the VF-19 s.

Got my 19S a few days ago and I love it. It's essentially the same toy as the Fire Valkyrie; mostly a matter of if you prefer red or blue. I prefer the Fire because of the longer, straight wings and the canards. Although the 19S's wings are only a little shorter, the wider design just makes them look kinda stumpy to me.

It's not so much the steps as the fact that a few of them require "sweet spot" pressure, instead of nicely falling into place as they do now in the VF-19 s.

I'm a huge 21/22 fan but I'll admit that their transformation can be an exercise in patience especially if you're new to it. The backplates haunted me for more than a year before I was able to get them right easily. That said they remain the only valk I have where friends have remarked that they couldn't believe that there's a robot inside that plane.

The VF-19 is by far a better toy and probably the only valk where I prefer the battroid mode to fighter.

Edited by raptormesh

I'm a huge 21/22 fan but I'll admit that their transformation can be an exercise in patience especially if you're new to it. The backplates haunted me for more than a year before I was able to get them right easily. That said they remain the only valk I have where friends have remarked that they couldn't believe that there's a robot inside that plane.

The VF-19 is by far a better toy and probably the only valk where I prefer the battroid mode to fighter.

yikes... I did hear about transformation issues with the YF-21.. not sure if I should consider picking 1 up.. plus I really think it looks good in fighter mode.. not much in battoroid mode.

Same for the 22 I guess.

For the YF-21/22, the fighter mode is probably the best looking of all valks, and the batroid mode is not bad either, but transformation is more complex, but nothing to worry about when you are following a youtube video on how to. At the cheap prices these were going, definetly get them, and you can even leave it in fighter mode forever, its a beauty. In batroid mode, i leave the air intakes cover off, ie i dont put them on, and i find it looks even better. The original yf-21 came with a stand, very usefull. Anyways, i dont see why one shouldnt pick it up if they like the design, and it sure isnt a loosy goossy when fully transformed, unlike the yf-19.

Who the heck is "Kai"?!? :wacko::lol: