Yamato 1/60 VF-19 Fire Valkyrie (v2.0)

So I took my YF-19 off the shelf to put her through the paces.

I'm 100% sure it's the loosest VF in my stable.....what a whore.

Yeah. I'd gladly take a v3.0 ^_^

Personally, for me, it's always about accuracy. The more accurate to the original Anime and original intention of the creator the better.

Exactly, it's a matter of personal taste. Until someone decides to fund all my valk purchases I don't see what's the problem with having a preference. :wacko:

So I took my YF-19 off the shelf to put her through the paces.

I'm 100% sure it's the loosest VF in my stable.....what a whore.

Yeah. I'd gladly take a v3.0 ^_^

You mean v2.0? The first one I think was 1/72 scale and was just a copy of the resin kit from Studio Half Eye.

Also, did you guys know that the missiles can be deployed in fighter mode?

IMG_3108.jpg

That looks good, are the missiles speaker pods as well?

Nope. The missiles are honest to goodness missiles. Though Basara hates to use them as he is a pacifist. He believes that there is always an alternate way to settle conflicts, hence his constant charging into battle, insisting that everyone listen to his song instead of fight.

Right around when sound force established Ray said he got it with his military ties and that it was an experiment to see the military potential of music and song energy, sorta the experimental stages before sound force and later the jamming birds. And he chose Basara because when he met him he understood how powerful his passion was

More specifically, it was actually "Max" who initiated "Project M." He's the one who recruited Chiba & gave him his budget, and found Ray & Basara through Kinryu. Max authorized the attachment of Akusho onto the side of City 7, so Ray could autonimously train Basara without anyone noticing. When the 7 fleet was eventually attacked, it was Max who authorized Basara to be on the battlefield. It's also no coincidence that Exedore wound up being Max's first officer, as he wanted like minded people in command should something such as the "Fleet of the Strongest Women" incident happen. That's right, the galaxy's greatest flying genius is also a pacifist.

More specifically, it was actually "Max" who initiated "Project M." He's the one who recruited Chiba & gave him his budget, and found Ray & Basara through Kinryu. Max authorized the attachment of Akusho onto the side of City 7, so Ray could autonimously train Basara without anyone noticing. When the 7 fleet was eventually attacked, it was Max who authorized Basara to be on the battlefield. It's also no coincidence that Exedore wound up being Max's first officer, as he wanted like minded people in command should something such as the "Fleet of the Strongest Women" incident happen. That's right, the galaxy's greatest flying genius is also a pacifist.

I think the reason people are saying that this info is not in the show is because the viewer has to piece this history together bit by bit over the duration of the entire series. There is no single exposition episode that says "OK, here we go, here's what happened". And I actually commend the series for that.

I was rewatching 7 and I have to ask why Basara's singing didn't really affect the protodevilin in the beginning.

I think it's because there are no Sound Energy converters, Sound Boosters, etc. I don't remember. It's not as if they weren't affected at all, though, their equipment always got weird readings, and it certainly affected Syvil adversely, but that was more because she was somewhat perversely attracted to it.

I really have to go back and rewatch it again, I'm forgetting a lot...

This. :)

So, I have to ask...what kind of paint and color did you use? Still upset that I have to fix Yamato's mistake to make it anime accurate...

Unless Yamato makes a new mold for the hand so that the red collar and the back cover of the hand are in separate pieces, you will have the hand molded either in red or black. Alternatively, you will have to paint it either black or red.

There is a reason that Yamato don't paint the hand considering the amount of traffic and friction that you will get when you rotate the hands in and out during transformation.

I'm glad that they didn't paint the hand, or you will be crying paint loss.

That's right, the galaxy's greatest flying genius is also a pacifist.

Wait, wait, wait. Isamu is a pacifist?

In all seriousness though. Max I would qualify as a realist, not necessarily a pacifist. He didn't want to use sound energy/singing as a tool because he thought it was a better alternative to fighting, he did it because, being the military genius that he is, he realized that when faced by insurmountable military odds (Space War 1, Fleet of Strongest Women, Protodevlin) you have to explore every avenue available to create victory. History had shown him through Space War 1 that Zentradi were susceptible to a Culture Shock attack, so he continued to develop this. It was in his best interests to allow Basara to try his strategy on the Protodevlin as it cost him nothing to do so and had the possibility of bearing fruit (which it did).

As for the toy. I still like mine alot. I love how beefy the lower legs are.

...and I just realized a problem with the shiny plastic. After transforming it four times Plane to Battroid to Plain to Battroid to Plane, I noticed that when given the proper angle, some really noticeable scratches appear.

:angry: AHA!! :angry:

the "Wii/PS3 Skin Effect" as i like to call it, rears it's evil head in the MACROSS toy world now!! damn it to hell!! :angry:

(to add context;)

starting years ago, with the PS3, easily scuffed/scratched high gloss plastic cosmetic finishes became the "high fashion" rage

with consumer electronics products. it started with the PS3, moved forth to the Wii,

and now affects at least 3/4 of what's available in the CE world today.

it ALL looks cheap to my eyes, and it's all VERY EASILY damaged, to boot.

...and here this Kai was actually starting to look REAL inviting to me,

Mickey-D's color scheme or no... :angry:

Edited by Shaorin

Unless Yamato makes a new mold for the hand so that the red collar and the back cover of the hand are in separate pieces, you will have the hand molded either in red or black. Alternatively, you will have to paint it either black or red.

There is a reason that Yamato don't paint the hand considering the amount of traffic and friction that you will get when you rotate the hands in and out during transformation.

I agree, IMO that's the reason. It's obvious that after designing the best Macross toy Yamato couldn't have left the hand plate like this for no reason.

When I photoshopped a picture of the prototype for my avatar I painted the hands anime accurate for I would've never supposed Yamato didn't have the skills to do that. And even though I still think they could've done it, now I'm happy they left them like they did to avoid heavy wear.

:angry: AHA!! :angry:

the "Wii/PS3 Skin Effect" as i like to call it, rears it's evil head in the MACROSS toy world now!! damn it to hell!! :angry:

(to add context;)

starting years ago, with the PS3, easily scuffed/scratched high gloss plastic cosmetic finishes became the "high fashion" rage

with consumer electronics products. it started with the PS3, moved forth to the Wii,

and now affects at least 3/4 of what's available in the CE world today.

it ALL looks cheap to my eyes, and it's all VERY EASILY damaged, to boot.

...and here this Kai was actually starting to look REAL inviting to me,

Mickey-D's color scheme or no... :angry:

Well, it's kind of unavoidable, so I won't consider it a strike against the toy, not to mention, it's not as bad as it sounds. I don't think there's any plastic in the world that doesn't retain scratches.

I was rewatching 7 and I have to ask why Basara's singing didn't really affect the protodevilin in the beginning.

Because, it wasn't singing that affected the Protodevelin, it was "Anima Spiritia." The short version of the story is that all life in the universe gives off energy, anima spiritia being the rawest/purest (read: most hot blooded & passionate). The Protodevelin were energy beings possessing the prototype bio-weapon bodies that the Protoculture had developed. They came into this universe accidentally when the Protoculture were researching harvesting super/extra-dimensional energy sources to power their new weapons. The Protodevelin, not being familiar with life forms in our dimension, only sought out to feed. Being highly intelligent, they wound up re-engineering Protoculture technology, and capturing Zentradi along with Protoculture citizens, and creating the Supervision Army. This incident finally prompted the Protoculture to resolve their own civil war, and work together to seal away the Protodevelin using whatever form of Anima Spiritia they came up with. The reminants of the Protoculture were whiped out when they tried to acclimate the Zentradi into their newfound peace. The limiters on the Zentradi that had prevented them from attacking Protoculture were removed in order to combat the Supervision Army. When the Protoculture tried to demliitarize them, the Zentradi saw it as a threat, and took them out. The Zentradi that we see rolving around at the beginning of the original Macross series were what was left after these incidents.

Anyway. With all of this background, you can now understand exactly why Basara wasn't initially effective. Time was required to build up his pasion to a strong enough level that it would affect the Protodevelin. Simply going out & singing wasn't enough, as culture shock didn't mean anything to the Protodevelin. But producing a passion so strong that they couldn't digest it on the other hand was quite effective. It took all the trials that Basara & Firebomber went through to even begin to produce this effect. And once they did, Dr. Chiba was able to amplify it even further.

My Kai now has working shoulder speakers, baby! Admittedly, they only clip on, but it's good enough until I get my hands on a second SoundBooster and add some better speakers to that.

201106092221000.jpg

Edited by Alex

There is a reason that Yamato don't paint the hand considering the amount of traffic and friction that you will

get when you rotate the hands in and out during transformation.

I think the answer for this would have been a 2 piece design. The part could have been molded in black and sloted in to the rest of the hand and glued. No paint loss.

Edited by Loop

Sorry to ask, but I am not too familiar with Macross 7 mech. The one thing keeping me back from purchasing this is the possibility of the other VF-19 variants. Is the kai the only vf-19 with long sweep wings? All the other variants I have seen have short forward swept wings, and I am not too much of a fan of those. Is this kai the only one with "long" wings?

Sorry to ask, but I am not too familiar with Macross 7 mech. The one thing keeping me back from purchasing this is the possibility of the other VF-19 variants. Is the kai the only vf-19 with long sweep wings? All the other variants I have seen have short forward swept wings, and I am not too much of a fan of those. Is this kai the only one with "long" wings?

There is the VF-19P that appeared in the Dynamite OVAs. It's similar in design to the VF-19 Kai, but is white/red. The blue VF-19F/S have short wings.

post-10580-0-78994800-1308028946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Actar

I think I would probably skip the F/S and will wait to see if there's a Kai with the Sound Booster, otherwise the first Kai repack. I will definitely get the P and if one variant has to be exclusive, I'm hoping the whale blood version since I want the "stock" white version.

Updates on how people's Kais are holding up?

Mine no longer stays on the launch-arm stand in Fighter mode, which sucks. It's just too back-heavy, and so the whole body separates from the attachment piece. :wacko:

Mine no longer stays on the launch-arm stand in Fighter mode, which sucks. It's just too back-heavy, and so the whole body separates from the attachment piece. :wacko:

i've kept mine in battroid mostly. The ankles are holding up. Definitely looser than they were brand new but not DX 25 loose. I find myself wishing the knee ratchets were stiffer, though.

Other than that, just fine.

No intention to sticker mine either. Like the out of the box anime look too much.

Graham

Any news on the Sound Booster? (^o^;)

Just perfect.

Must have transformed it over ten times. Fighter to gerwalk to battroid and back to fighter over and over again. So far, all the joints are tight and there are no scratches on paint. Foot joints are definitely looser, but still stays up perfectly in most poses and gerwalk mode.

Edited by Actar