On 1/20/2023 at 10:23 AM, ErikElvis said:

I seem to be in the minority here but I thought the movie was cheesy. And not a good cheesy. 

schmaltz
/SHmôlts,SHmälts/

noun
informal
noun: schmaltz; noun: schmalz
  1. excessive sentimentality, especially in music or movies.
    "at the end of the film the audience are drowned in a sea of schmaltz"

I have to agree, I think on future rewatches I'm going to grow tired of the overreliance on nostalgia, after the initial high of those flight scenes final wanes. It certainly won't stand the test of time as well as, say, Macross Plus has done and will continue to do. But I'll enjoy said flight scenes for as long as possible. :lol:

3 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

And it got nominated for BEST PICTURE?? I mean it was a great movie but not artsy fartsy enough for an Oscar and surprised it beat out THE BATMAN for that slot tbh.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/oscar-nominations-2023-1235238038/

It could just be coming down to the fact that most people aren’t going out to see too many movies these days and that the big blockbuster type films may end up what the majority of the voting public have had time to watch. I know they tend to pass out copies of the movies to the academy, but I think that’s after they’ve already been nominated, so just to be seen may push an unlikely film into the nominations.

honestly, it doesn’t matter anyway. Nobody really pays attention to the Oscars anymore. These award shows are hitting their lowest ratings ever. Probably due to the fact that nobody cares about the major television channels other than old people and you’re no longer forced to watch an award show since it’s the only thing on

Loved it!  I some how missed this thread when it initially posted.   

Now TGM has come and blew the box office away.

I'm okay with the two movies only.  None of them really left any loose ends.

1 hour ago, Big s said:

honestly, it doesn’t matter anyway. Nobody really pays attention to the Oscars anymore. These award shows are hitting their lowest ratings ever. Probably due to the fact that nobody cares about the major television channels other than old people and you’re no longer forced to watch an award show since it’s the only thing on

Except when the host tells a GI Jane joke 😆

1 hour ago, TangledThorns said:

Except when the host tells a GI Jane joke 😆

As trending and joke worthy as that was, almost no one saw that till either later that night or the day after it actually happened since almost nobody actually watched the academy awards 

• 7 months later...
18 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

I saw this on YouTube earlier today, what a difference the proper gun sounds plus alarms/missile tone make for this scene. 

Hm, why not just use the actual gun sound...? Must be one of life's imponderable mysteries.

Edited by Thom

12 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Eh, I can forgive the F-35 bit.  There was no way it was getting used, no matter how much sense it would have made.

But making the sense to use them would have made it a lot better. To me, that would be like not using the F-14 in the original movie despite it being the most high-tech/capable plane at the time. Now I have no problem with them using the FA-18, I love that plane and it is still the backbone of the fleet, but they missed an opportunity to 'introduce' the F-35 to the viewer.

They didn't even have to show them at first, but just mention them in planning even vaguely. Then when Hangman comes in at the end with the rescue, he's leading a flight of F-35s to go after any Felon's standing between Mav/Rooster and safety. 

Of course, all this brings in the fact that they really could have used more Navy involvement, both in deciding what kind of mission to use as a template and for more realistic cockpit situations.

Edited by Thom

On 9/6/2023 at 8:27 AM, Thom said:

Most everything else about this movie was great - except for the Star Wars bit. And the lack of F-35 past 10 seconds in.

It's scary how much FUN this movie is.  I'd dismissed it as another American military propaganda piece (which it is, make no mistake), but I was so entertained from start to finish.  It hit all the right nostalgia notes (Rooster singing, the beach scene) and the new bits were just as good (stealing the F-14, Mav splitting the throttles), and love him or hate him but Tom Cruise is on *point* in this film.

It was stupidly fun, and still is.

2 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

It's scary how much FUN this movie is.  I'd dismissed it as another American military propaganda piece (which it is, make no mistake), but I was so entertained from start to finish.  It hit all the right nostalgia notes (Rooster singing, the beach scene) and the new bits were just as good (stealing the F-14, Mav splitting the throttles), and love him or hate him but Tom Cruise is on *point* in this film.

It was stupidly fun, and still is.

It is very entertaining, and poignant. I last saw the first movie thirty years ago, so as Maverick was having his flashbacks I was there right along with him, hazily remembering those scenes. I also like that that was where he 'peaked.' The last three decades he'd been riding Iceman's coattails.

4 hours ago, Thom said:

It is very entertaining, and poignant. I last saw the first movie thirty years ago, so as Maverick was having his flashbacks I was there right along with him, hazily remembering those scenes. I also like that that was where he 'peaked.' The last three decades he'd been riding Iceman's coattails.

Wheee! Plane go whooosh!!!

Sorry...what were we talking about again? O.o

5 hours ago, Thom said:

I don’t think he’s a bad actor or the greatest. But he’s stayed relevant without having the extremely forgettable faze most actors have gone through and it helps that even though he has been a big actor in the 80’s that he doesn’t look 80

18 minutes ago, Big s said:

I don’t think he’s a bad actor or the greatest. But he’s stayed relevant without having the extremely forgettable faze most actors have gone through and it helps that even though he has been a big actor in the 80’s that he doesn’t look 80

No, I meant the character of Maverick in the movie. Several lines point out that the only reason Maverick was still in the Navy was because Iceman kept going to bat for him. Once he died, Maverick was immediately shat canned,

2 hours ago, Thom said:

No, I meant the character of Maverick in the movie. Several lines point out that the only reason Maverick was still in the Navy was because Iceman kept going to bat for him. Once he died, Maverick was immediately shat canned,

Sorry, thought we were talking the actor over the character, but my comment from before almost works, just change actor for pilot and it sort of fits

2 hours ago, Thom said:

Makes one wonder who came first, the actor or the character...?

To be honest, if it weren’t for Top Gun I don’t think he’d be the type to do as many of his own stunts in movies at his age. The character made him the man he is today.

6 hours ago, Big s said:

To be honest, if it weren’t for Top Gun I don’t think he’d be the type to do as many of his own stunts in movies at his age. The character made him the man he is today.

He had a few good movies before, but I think Top Gun did make him.

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2023 at 12:20 AM, 505thAirborne said:

I saw this on YouTube earlier today, what a difference the proper gun sounds plus alarms/missile tone make for this scene. 

I can't believe I just noticed this, but upon my umpteenth rewatch there ARE RWR tones against the 3rd SU-57.  But only AFTER Rooster got the correct breaker to turn his station on.

I will always adore the level of detail Joseph Kozinsky puts into his films.

After rewatching this clip i have a question for the experts of the forum. Before the dogfight starts the enemy pilot does some sign with his hands, some sort of code to comunicate among planes while up in the air, i guess. Maverick is not able to understand a single sign of it. Does this mean that there are different codes for each nation/continent/organization? For example, Europe has one, that is different from the one Russia has, or Nato has one that is different from the one all the other  nations who are not part of the organization uses etc. I thought it was like an universal language...