HG and Robotech Debates

It is not a HG hating bandwagon.

I just think it would be a hard sell to release never before heard of music. That was not used for a reason in the orginal series. When I listen to a soundtrack of a series I can usually picture where it was used in a series so I can relate to it. I would find it hard to relate to it. I mean it would be better if they released it as a B sides type album. But I would not buy it. And as someone said there was probably a reason why it was not used.

I do find it quite comical what I am hearing out of the RT fans say about Macross, and how it is interesting logic of how they came to think that way. I mean i have been a die hard fan of RT in my day. But have got heaps of different interests these days. But respect what it was. But have needed to expand and grow. It sounds like some of these people are holding on to the romance of what it was to them when they are younger. I must admit that, that is attactive but You must move on. there are some TV shows that didn't live up to my youthful memeories, such as the orginal BSG. I tried to watch it just recently but couldn't. It didn;t live up to my old memories.

The main reason is the debate of why HG is not releasing the licensing for the Macross distribution. Which is the core of this whole debate.

I have a headache and am off to bed....

I think both show have their own storytelling style. Macross has a character driven plot that focus on the characters and their personal relationships with each other. On the other hand, Robotech is more story driven, which focus on the big picture (the large overarching storyline).

Let me dust this argument off the shelf, you'll have to pardon me, I haven't used it in quite a while.

"Robotech doesn't have an overarchingstoryline, it has a common mistake which no one ever seems to learn from. You took my superfuel, I want it back. Hey, now you took my superfuel, I want it back."

Smegalot says music has to be new and it has to be popular, and chrisk says people who want it are fanboy completists, all because Harmony Gold are involved. Is that what you guys think this thread is, a Harmony Gold hating bandwagon, an opposing cult to the one on robotech.com?

Is there ANYTHING that HG does that is impressive or eyecatching? Take a look at Robotech.com....

You got a wannabe of a wannabe "Marketing Coordinator" whose claim to fame is being able to go to conventions at his bosses' expense.

You got Shadow Rising, XXth Soundtrack, Doucmentary, Harmony Gold's Janitor's Cut of The Shadow Chronicles, REVAMPED Website....

WHOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!! MY BAD! Those things haven't HAPPENED. Sorry.

Fact is there is NO REASON to hate Harmony Gold for Robotech..................because they DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR ROBOTECH....

I'd say it was funny if it wasn't so sad....

Yeah, I don't hate Robotech, I truly love it even to this day and am currently watching it straight through right now. The thing that bothers me is how HG has treated the property by first DOING nothing with it and now SAYING they're doing tons of stuff with NOTHING show. I'm worried that one of my all time favorite franchises will go the way of the dinosaur due to poor management rather than a poor product. And after reading this thread for years and seeing how the staff at HG play, I just felt it was time again for someone to start asking the tough questions HG still can't and won't answer.

I just felt it was time again for someone to start asking the tough questions HG still can't and won't answer.

Why? You know they will not answer them, so asking is a waste of time.

Plenty of other Anime (aniation for those who insist SC is not anime) in the sea, no need to bother over a show that is currently moribund.

Yeah, I don't hate Robotech, I truly love it even to this day and am currently watching it straight through right now. The thing that bothers me is how HG has treated the property by first DOING nothing with it and now SAYING they're doing tons of stuff with NOTHING show. I'm worried that one of my all time favorite franchises will go the way of the dinosaur due to poor management rather than a poor product. And after reading this thread for years and seeing how the staff at HG play, I just felt it was time again for someone to start asking the tough questions HG still can't and won't answer.

I know how you feel bro. Its such a waste to knock on someones door and say: you have something I want. Make more of it, and make it better, ill pay you. Just for them to shut the door in your face, as if you're bothering them from their new external

hard drive. I am so sick of HG and people who swear that they're the greatest co. in the world.

Plenty of other Anime (aniation for those who insist SC is not anime) in the sea, no need to bother over a show that is currently moribund.

Some suggestions to consider...

Macross (obligatory)

Gundam

The Other Gundam

The Other Gundam that isn't The Other Gundam

Full Metal Panic

That Other Gundam thing...

Macross with the Partridge Family

Giant Bug Macross

The Totally-not-related-to-Gundam Gundam

Macross with the Love Triangle

Not-Gundam Gundam-ish type show that has Dragonball-Z tones... (9,000?!?)

just sayin'...

B))

Finally got banned from the robotech.com but it was due to the way I backed up negative fans on the Robotech Facebook page (they even removed my posts after those same negative fans "like" my comment). It's actually a great feeling to be banned as I view the act simply confirming all the posts I've made over the past couple years. The only thing negative thing is that I never have the chance to make Kevin look like a bratty child again. Thanks for the win Kev! :D

So, at least in that, you've proven how petty the whole banning is, when they will ban you for stuff you say somewhere else. It's not like you're gonna miss a ton of news and big updates. They've run their site into a lackluster, humdrum cult website. I'm sure you'll survive.

I totally understand this point. As much garbage as I call out against the morons that are nailing RT's coffin shut, I don't hate Robotech either. I'm kinda in a strange position...not unique, but not too common. I was a Macross fan before being a Robotech fan, and simply grew to love them both at roughly the same time. The RT freak show would want to think I ran over here after the fact, but the truth is, I was here a long time ago. That said, when I make comments that I'd rather see Robotech simply die off, I merely mean the bastardization that it's become with Prelude, Shadow Chronicles, and so on. It reminds me of a 40+ year old quarterback still trying to pass, run in and out of the pocket, and play a game of football like he's 22 years old. Not saying that it can't be done, but at some point, you gotta realize that without adapting and moving on to something else gracefully, you end up looking like a chump, and do more damage to the team you're playing for. That's what Robotech feels like to me. Either get a new quarterback and change your game completely, or simply retire it altogether. That's not hating the franchise, that's seeing it from the view of damage control.

I don't really have a problem with Yun or Yune as long as they don't do the powerpoint presentation every year. Tommy should stick to the production side/art of the franchise and Steve should stick to...whatever it is he does. Both tend to tell the truth. McKeever, I agree should go, since all he does is set up the convention tour by telling fans to request their conventions to call McKeever for booking which is ridiculous. He really serves no other purpose there cause I don't care what his hotel room looks like or that he just ate a philly cheesesteak sandwich unless he's bringing me one to apologize. B))

I don't really have a problem with Yun or Yune as long as they don't do the powerpoint presentation every year. Tommy should stick to the production side/art of the franchise and Steve should stick to...whatever it is he does. Both tend to tell the truth. McKeever, I agree should go, since all he does is set up the convention tour by telling fans to request their conventions to call McKeever for booking which is ridiculous. He really serves no other purpose there cause I don't care what his hotel room looks like or that he just ate a philly cheesesteak sandwich unless he's bringing me one to apologize. B))

I dunno about them telling the truth. I can name at least 2 seperate times where Tommy hasn't been truthful in his statements, and I'm sure others have others that add up to more than several occasions. Also, understanding that you're never really gonna get a direct answer from any staff, also lends to the fact that you're gonna get misleading statements from time to time. They've created a certain image of the franchise, whether by choice, by what higher ups and PR people tell them to say, or on their own, and they have to stick with that to uphold the company image.

I really don't expect anybody speaking on a company's behalf to be totally honest with anyone when in front of customers, in front of press, and so-on. Most spokesmen for companies won't be totally straight up, but usually what they say are very blanket statements, and even issues that seem to reflect a little grey, are balanced by things like "This is what we have to show you", or something to that effect (usually something new and full of wow factor).

Still, aside from some of the flat out stupid and obvious lies, what puts me in a position where I agree with a good number on a change of guard, is strictly on the direction and creativity level alone. It's just not something I would support, or even remotely care to give a rat's @ss about in the direction it's been going for a looonnnng time now, or at least since the 21st century has started.

Edited by Jasonc

I agree with Jasonc. Either really do something with the franchise, reboot it, or actually make new stuff that is new new, not something borrowed, or let it rest in peace. All they seem to be really doing is killing time from what I have seen. And keep promising stuff but never coming up with the goods. And slowly loosing people's interest. When you promise things you have to eventually put up or people will move on. In the end HG own actions are slowly killing the RT franchise.....

I think HG is going in a downards trajectory. Sure they have tried to pull them selves out of it with RTSC and a few other things but it is still slowly on the way downwards. But otherwise the trajectory is going down.

Edited by Smegalot

The best thing for Robotech IMo would be not to "reboot" but to simply remake it. What I mean is to take the story elements and recreate the show using fresh character designs and fresh mecha designs. Approach it as a new show. Keep the story but fix the issues presented by the combining of 3 seperate series. Get a unified character design and a progressive mecha design similar to how U.C. Gundam, you can se how the mechs evolved.

By doing this you force Robotech to stand on it's own merrits and can eliminate the so called "Macross purist" or "Dependency on Macross".

Just rename the sagas. use the Zentran saga (or something) the masters saga and the Invid saga.

This way for those of who love both RT and Macross can have both without all the bull poo.

If he pie guy didn't tip Steve off that something needs to change in the way they deal with their fanbase, nothing will.

Edited by Keith

So, at least in that, you've proven how petty the whole banning is, when they will ban you for stuff you say somewhere else. It's not like you're gonna miss a ton of news and big updates. They've run their site into a lackluster, humdrum cult website. I'm sure you'll survive.
I think HG is going in a downards trajectory. Sure they have tried to pull them selves out of it with RTSC and a few other things but it is still slowly on the way downwards. But otherwise the trajectory is going down.

I believe that's the crux of this whole discussion, and why people on this thread should continue asking the "hard questions" even though at times it may seem moot. Whether its licensing debates or criticizing Harmony Gold's dubious practice, it's good to talk about these things and vent frustrations and simply just hang out and talk. Does there have to be a need to justify "why" and "what are we doing here" on this thread? Isn't being a Macross and Robotech fan enough?

That said, when I make comments that I'd rather see Robotech simply die off, I merely mean the bastardization that it's become with Prelude, Shadow Chronicles, and so on...at some point, you gotta realize that without adapting and moving on to something else gracefully, you end up looking like a chump, and do more damage to the team you're playing for. That's what Robotech feels like to me.

The fact that you saw behind the facade of these three jokers running the property didn't help. It taints how you view every decision the company makes, and I can sympathize. :(

Harmony Gold lies by omission, by implying, and using language that could be interpreted as a lie. That's why when you call them on it, they demand proof of direct statements to discredit you. A recent example, recent for Harmony Gold, was when Tommy told a woman at a convention, in a video on Youtube, that they could use Macross designs in merchandise, but her question was about animation and Tommy knew it. Of course the Robotech cult uses this as evidence that Harmony Gold can use Macross designs in new animation. MEMO denies the Japanese Supreme Court ruling ever happened.

Then Tommy went on to say that Carl's theory that The Sentinels (from Robotech Art 3), that it was intended to be repurposed for a show in Japan with the Macross characters taken out, was actually something that was planned and they were going to leave the Macross characters in, which makes no sense. As Carl said, Tatsunoko was hesitant to give screen time to the Macross characters and those scenes didn't follow the model sheets.

I'd link you to the video and quotes, but at the moment Robotech.com redirects to Google Translate. The site has never been this useful.

Google cache has it:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RXI3DuyAmEEJ:secure.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php%3Fid%3D2107655%26forumid%3D31%26pagenumber&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

I don't care what his hotel room looks like or that he just ate a philly cheesesteak sandwich unless he's bringing me one to apologize. B))

I don't know why, but this sentence put a really big grin on my face. ^_^

Google cache has it:

Thanks for those clips. It really is a shame that Macek passed away, because he was probably the only one involved with HG that knew anything about anime. Now they got nuthin'.

Macek was talking about Gold Lightan and Casshern and all these all shows, and if you look at the next video segment he talks fairly at length about Arion. Arion, for God's sake! He asked, but no-one in the audience had heard of it. It shows he really loves anime done well. And it really pissed me off that once he wrapped up his praise for Arion with "It's one of the best animated movies...", the very next thing uttered by an audience member was "Shadow Chronicles, what's happening with that??"

Ugh. This is like, the perfect opposite of consumerism. Usually, companies try to get your attention and get you to buy their stuff. In this case, Macek is telling people to see non-HG works, but they don't care. "We'll buy anything you make! Give us more! Give us more!" Can you imagine Steve Jobs praising Windows Vista, while the Apple fanboys go "No! We want iPad 17!" Yeah, well the equivalent is happening with this panel.

When asked how Macek would re-make RT: The Untold Story if he ever had the opportunity, he simply said "It would just be DYRL. That's the movie we wanted". (I'm paraphrasing, as I don't remember the exact wording.)

Macek gave RT fanboys a chance to experience PROPER entertainment, but they refused. They cannot and will not ever accept anything except Row-boat-heck.

Edited by Renato

All i can say is, if they are going to talk the talk, they should know how to walk the walk. So far, HG hasn't proven that they can use the Macross designs in new animation. All they're doing is saying one thing then doing the opposite.

I can't say I am versed in the language "FANBOYESE"

Would the following examples be defined as such?

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2099013&forumid=31&pagenumber=1#post

MAVERICK_LSC

You know what a documentary may mean???

This may or may not be a documentary, what if this was a feature shot in documentary style for the purpose as an extra for a DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Ponder the thought, they wouldnt' be working on just a documentary unless they have some other concrete production work already in the can.

Ohhhhhh.....

Robotech is making a comeback baby.

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2075615&forumid=31&pagenumber=20#post

MAVERICK_LSC

I'm eager to see it Kevin...

Too bad none of the convention stops will be in Canada, i'm sure that the audience that views this new footage will give positive feedback and constructive criticism that will improve the product overall.

Robotech productions will only get better in terms of quality which usually goes with experience.

As Harmony Gold makes more of these animated productions, this builds work experience, and expands their contacts with those that work in the industry.

It can only get better and i'm looking forward to see the improvement the next productions will incorporate.

I hope my review of Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles which was posted after the Toronto DNA film festival provided the impetuous for value added improvements for future productions. I'm sure the constructive criticism I've gave was a positive influence.

I like what I saw in Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, I can see the possibilities that the feature could have if expanded upon as a series.

Keep up the good work!!!

R.Focker wrote;

nothing of nothing

You do know that the series of clips shown at a convention does not signify the actual amount of footage completed for the given production. They may have in actuality an hour or two of completed footage, or...

Why even bother showing a string of clips.

Mav...

I don't need make any comments...the posts speak for themselves.

BTW...the whole Robotech.com NOT working.....remember...it's April 1st...a bad attempt to on HG's part to be funny with fans who are no longer in the mood to laugh...I got through going to the fourms link...they have truly defined the phrase....APRIL FOOL.

JT

Edited by Zen72

In my perfect world, Robotech would've happened immediately followed by a successful animated run of the Sentinels, during which time; some comics, novels, toys and rpg, and then the triumphant end of Robotech around 1990. Long live Robotech! In the '90, the other Macross and MOSPEADA series come to the states and they're widely received, reigniting an interest in Robotech. Because the production senario is explained earlier,and Macross is brought to the states without predjudice, Robotech is widely accepted by all and continues to florish alongside Macross and other related lines, in a seperate way. Again in a perfect world.

I can't say I am versed in the language "FANBOYESE"

Would the following examples be defined as such?

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2099013&forumid=31&pagenumber=1#post

MAVERICK_LSC

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2075615&forumid=31&pagenumber=20#post

MAVERICK_LSC

Sounds like someone is bucking for a promotion! Go get 'em Maverick!

Btw, they've pulled down their own website for April fools. Wow, so funny and original. We can all dream can't we?

Edited by blackconvoy_D01

Btw, they've pulled down their own website for April fools. Wow, so funny and original. We can all dream can't we?

Actually, they turned Asian (ironic)... or Communist... or Anti-UN (in universe), I'm not sure. Anyway, who cares? It's going to turn back to the ghost town website its always been tomorrow.

I dunno about them telling the truth. I can name at least 2 seperate times where Tommy hasn't been truthful in his statements, and I'm sure others have others that add up to more than several occasions. Also, understanding that you're never really gonna get a direct answer from any staff, also lends to the fact that you're gonna get misleading statements from time to time. They've created a certain image of the franchise, whether by choice, by what higher ups and PR people tell them to say, or on their own, and they have to stick with that to uphold the company image.

I really don't expect anybody speaking on a company's behalf to be totally honest with anyone when in front of customers, in front of press, and so-on. Most spokesmen for companies won't be totally straight up, but usually what they say are very blanket statements, and even issues that seem to reflect a little grey, are balanced by things like "This is what we have to show you", or sometStehing to that effect (usually something new and full of wow factor).

Still, aside from some of the flat out stupid and obvious lies, what puts me in a position where I agree with a good number on a change of guard, is strictly on the direction and creativity level alone. It's just not something I would support, or even remotely care to give a rat's @ss about in the direction it's been going for a looonnnng time now, or at least since the 21st century has started.

Actually, I guess I don't associate Tommy and Steve lying, as much as I do with Kevin, because they aren't as vocal as Kevin is. Afterall, they only make vague, misleading statements at cons, conveniently running out of time before real questions are asked or answers can be clarified. Kevin, on the other hand writes out all his misleading statements which makes it easier to remember.

Actually, I guess I don't associate Tommy and Steve lying, as much as I do with Kevin, because they aren't as vocal as Kevin is. Afterall, they only make vague, misleading statements at cons, conveniently running out of time before real questions are asked or answers can be clarified. Kevin, on the other hand writes out all his misleading statements which makes it easier to remember.

Understandable. In my opinion, as they all work for the same company, I lump them one in the same. They're all spilling the same lingo, so if one lies, then they all are, I guess.

In other news, the voting for the favorite RT episodes is pretty interesting. EPISODE BATTLE There are some pretty tight battles going on...Paper Hero vs. Shadow Chronicles 50/50 (guess the goon squad called for backup) and RT Sentinels vs. Lonely Soldier Boy is 50/50 as well. Should be interesting what the finals come out to. THANKS, JT/ZEN72, for putting this up. Lots of fun. If you haven't voted, make your voice count.

Edited by Jasonc

People often criticize Carl for the combining of the three series, however at that time his options were limited. I personally feel that he was a true anime fan. When he talked about anime in interviews, he seemed to generally wish for it to succeed here. I think, he even realized that Robotech was only a product of circumstance but still his creation...so in that aspect he wished to make it grow and possibly distance himself from the "Original Three" so to speak. I wish he could have seen this new project to fruition, however now with the status quo of HG...a franchise I personally enjoy is rotting...again.

As far as DR MOVIE is concerned, the work they did on Shadow Chronicles was low grade, HOWEVER as a studio I do believe they are quite capable. I am more of the belief that the quality of Shadow Chronicles was a result of the seemingly low budget alotted to the project. If a superior budget was in place with a measure of consistent quality control, the DR MOVIE would be quite capable of a good product. if the major studios of Japan including MADHOUSE, Sunrise(My favorites), and Ghibli are confident to work with them then that says something.

The best thing for Robotech would be to try their hardest to have some sort of sit down with all the people involved and simply do a rebuild of the series. What I mean is to get a true character designer and mecha designer and have them design every character from all 3 sagas, and design fresh mecha from all three. Give it a sense of continuity by having consistent designs and mecha to show a true progression. By recreating the series you can erase the problems caused by using three series. If money is such an issue, look for outside investors. So many productions have some sort of investor groups funding, HG should at least try.

I feel that they expected a quick turn around with the LAM due to things like Transformersbut realized too late that they were now stuck waiting. As a result that left them stagnant as they were obligated to give Wb a sort of "First look/shot" at any new Robotech production. They may have failed to realize with WB house franchises such as DC comic movies (Competing with the Marvel on screen success) and Harry Potter, that Robotech was low on the rung and was most likely a "developement" property that they could toss around to see what could be kinda like a low round draft pick, you get them just in case...

Just my take on things.

People often criticize Carl for the combining of the three series, however at that time his options were limited. I personally feel that he was a true anime fan. When he talked about anime in interviews, he seemed to generally wish for it to succeed here. I think, he even realized that Robotech was only a product of circumstance but still his creation...so in that aspect he wished to make it grow and possibly distance himself from the "Original Three" so to speak. I wish he could have seen this new project to fruition, however now with the status quo of HG...a franchise I personally enjoy is rotting...again.

As far as DR MOVIE is concerned, the work they did on Shadow Chronicles was low grade, HOWEVER as a studio I do believe they are quite capable. I am more of the belief that the quality of Shadow Chronicles was a result of the seemingly low budget alotted to the project. If a superior budget was in place with a measure of consistent quality control, the DR MOVIE would be quite capable of a good product. if the major studios of Japan including MADHOUSE, Sunrise(My favorites), and Ghibli are confident to work with them then that says something.

The best thing for Robotech would be to try their hardest to have some sort of sit down with all the people involved and simply do a rebuild of the series. What I mean is to get a true character designer and mecha designer and have them design every character from all 3 sagas, and design fresh mecha from all three. Give it a sense of continuity by having consistent designs and mecha to show a true progression. By recreating the series you can erase the problems caused by using three series. If money is such an issue, look for outside investors. So many productions have some sort of investor groups funding, HG should at least try.

I feel that they expected a quick turn around with the LAM due to things like Transformersbut realized too late that they were now stuck waiting. As a result that left them stagnant as they were obligated to give Wb a sort of "First look/shot" at any new Robotech production. They may have failed to realize with WB house franchises such as DC comic movies (Competing with the Marvel on screen success) and Harry Potter, that Robotech was low on the rung and was most likely a "developement" property that they could toss around to see what could be kinda like a low round draft pick, you get them just in case...

Just my take on things.

That's what I've said in the past on rt.com just to be told I don't know how Hollywood works when, in fact, it's HG that doesn't know how Hollywood or the world works. Back when they 1st announced the LAM, Tommy insinuated that the LAM production would be a rather quick turnaround as WB wanted to have something to compete with Transformers. That's why no one complained about SR's delay due to the LAM in the beginning even with the "hiatus" fiasco. Now that it's been a few years, we're being told that movies can take over 2 decades to be produced and SR isn't being delayed by the LAM, despite Tommy and Steve indicating SR's release is being coordinated with the LAM release. Basically, HG made another bad business decision in a long line of bad decisions. They just need to admit it and try to rectify the situation cause we the fans will understand since they're a small fish playing in a big ocean. The fact that they don't just makes them look worse.

The main problems with Shadow Chronicles come from the writing and directing. They failed at producing a good low budget film. More money would result in more more money wasted. Longer running time would have resulted in more bad writing and directing. Look at what happened when they got more technology. In Sentinels, they moved to an all-synthesizer soundtrack and very limited retimed animation because they got Macintoshes. In Shadow Chronicles, they got 3D animation, and now the mecha animation and effects look amateurish. Even their attempt to save money by going to DR Movie (and then not releasing anything else) failed. They fix anything but themselves.

Funny thing about the writing is that I have been told by multiple people that Ford Riley is actually a very talented writer but was hampered heavily by the decisions made by Tommy Yune who seemed to be backed 100% by Frank Agrama. If you ever watch the "Making of a Sequel" feature on TSC, it's interesting to note when Agrama states "There were many, such as Tom, and Steve, but ONE person in particular has changed my view of Robotech, and that person is Tommy Yune" (As closely as I remember). He gushes over him, but when you look back at various reviews, you see how mixed they were. There was very little direct praise, it seems there was more mediocre/moderate to outright panning of TSC. When you look at this in retrospective you have to wonder if, by putting someone with experience drawing as the main guy, you wonder if you weakened the ability to write the story fans deserved before it even started.

Funny thing about the writing is that I have been told by multiple people that Ford Riley is actually a very talented writer but was hampered heavily by the decisions made by Tommy Yune who seemed to be backed 100% by Frank Agrama. If you ever watch the "Making of a Sequel" feature on TSC, it's interesting to note when Agrama states "There were many, such as Tom, and Steve, but ONE person in particular has changed my view of Robotech, and that person is Tommy Yune" (As closely as I remember). He gushes over him, but when you look back at various reviews, you see how mixed they were. There was very little direct praise, it seems there was more mediocre/moderate to outright panning of TSC. When you look at this in retrospective you have to wonder if, by putting someone with experience drawing as the main guy, you wonder if you weakened the ability to write the story fans deserved before it even started.

Well... considering Shadow Force was in development hell for half a decade, can you blame these people for not liking each other behind closed doors? Just how many egos did Tommy Yune have to fight to have them re-do the entire battle on Earth in the beginning of the movie? The money and effort spent on that pointless scene could've spent on creating a tighter story with more well-developed characters. Yet they spent it on copy pasting spaceships in perfect formation, crappy explosions and un-engaging narrative, etc.

But what do fans care? After the disaster that is Robotech 3000, even a snaking turd like Shadow Chronicles will look like pile of gold to the hardcore.

Hmm... Maybe to Tommy Yune, that is all that matters..? That "his" film was better than Robotech 3000? Why do you think they keep highlighting how bad it was during the yearly con panels? I guess if you aim for a mediocrity, you're gonna reach it... eventually.

When I first watched TSC, I wasn't overly impressed with it. Honestly I got to a point of where I'd nap to it because it wasn't stimulating in the least. The revamped PTSC book, I thought had some good points. HG could redeem themselves with the SR movie. But they choose to be stupid.

Back when they 1st announced the LAM, Tommy insinuated that the LAM production would be a rather quick turnaround as WB wanted to have something to compete with Transformers. That's why no one complained about SR's delay due to the LAM in the beginning even with the "hiatus" fiasco. Now that it's been a few years, we're being told that movies can take over 2 decades to be produced ...

Ummm, I thought it was one of the overly hyper, super-suckup fans mods at RT.com pushing that idea.

Ummm, I thought it was one of the overly hyper, super-suckup fans mods at RT.com pushing that idea.

McKeever himself brought this up as he gave examples of films that took up to 20 years to be released - not the best example if you're trying to convince the general fandom that the Robotech LAM is in good hands. The HG supporters originally just said "things happening that we don't know about" but even they don't try to make it sound like we'll be retired by the time the LAM and, thus, Shadow Rising are released though they do acknowledge it'll be awhile. Nowadays they try to spin this wait time into why we're so lucky to get a sidequel about which little is known and a documentary few even care about.