HG and Robotech Debates

I wonder, had Robo-tech ended at the 85 episodes without renewing their trademarks. Would we have Macross II, Plus, 7, etc. And possibly a continuation of MOSPEADA today? I many ask for the potential of the MOSPEADA continuation.

I'm sure many of us will be happy if they can finally distribute the Macross titles with english-subs on 'em on shiny media (dvd and/or bd) for us to purchase.

Until then, however, skepticism will continue.

Yeah, that's understandable, and as I haven't given any details, I don't expect people to jump on that bandwagon. Unfortunately, even if there were to be added english subs, the BD, or DVD (more like BD only) would still have to be stuck in Japan. At least with today's technologies, and the list of e-tailers in existence, there isn't such a problem as getting them out, as is more the price and shipping. I've put out this question before, and the response was pretty positive, but if this was to happen, there's plenty of people who'd buy them here w/ english subs. The list was including people who haven't purchased the official DVD/BD versions because of that, and people who already own the Frontier sets and movies. I know I would rebuy them in support of a decision to include their, what seems like, forgotten secondary market. From what I've discussed with certain people, they are aware of us, and the dedication we have to the franchise. But, as I've said above, nothing is ever so cut and dry, and getting everyone on one page, in almost any situation, is never an easy task.

Bandai was heavily pushing BD back then as their primary media and Frontier was the best title at the right time that had the best chance to really show off the tech that that is capable of including multiple subtitles. Bandai elected not to add subs on it.

Yeah, multiple subtitles technology so advanced it had been in use on DVD's for years...

Sketchley already clearly explained the ins and outs on why it is not cheap.

So you just don't have any Ghibli R2J-dvd's in your possession, then. Moving on.

Actually I do, but it's not relevant to the discussion.

Macross Plus had english-dubs and english-subs when it was first released in the States. I believe there was even an international-version from Japan that had either a dub or subs or both.

When I got my remastered Plus-box, it didn't have any english subs or dubs.

So what are you were saying again?

My point stands. You haven't given an example of any Japanese edition that has subs, which did not have an earlier licensed edition in the US. I'll leave it at that.

I wonder, had Robo-tech ended at the 85 episodes without renewing their trademarks. Would we have Macross II, Plus, 7, etc. And possibly a continuation of MOSPEADA today? I many ask for the potential of the MOSPEADA continuation.

Probably. It depends on what the western anime distributors think will sell. If you look at Gundam, which doesn't suffer from legal problems, most of it has been licensed but not everything.

A few years ago there was a Mospeade revival of sorts and some toys and books were released. You may want to check the Mospeada thread for any information on the state of things.

I have to admit, that's pretty f!@king lame. So, they spent a whole $80 on a new hard drive??? Whoa, big spenders there. I don't see how that really demonstrates anything big, or newsworthy when it comes to production. They must be real desperate to prove that fact.

Oh... kay...

I can understand being marvelled with technology and wanting to tell your friends, family and maybe even your coworkers. But to put it on a company news site? It's just unprofessional.

All the more so because either a) they're giving free publicity to the drive makers, or b) have failed to get sponsorship from the drive maker to get it for reduced or no cost!

Professional with a capital UN.

I can understand being marvelled with technology and wanting to tell your friends, family and maybe even your coworkers. But to put it on a company news site? It's just unprofessional.

It's Facebook. That just adds to the already useless stuff on the site anyways. Next thing you know, they'll be posting what they ate for lunch on FB. Speaking of which....*pulls out camera phone*

It's Facebook. That just adds to the already useless stuff on the site anyways. Next thing you know, they'll be posting what they ate for lunch on FB. Speaking of which....*pulls out camera phone*

Kevin's already done that in the past...

Did you guys see the latest Robo-Tech news?

http://www.facebook.com/robotech

HG is so f***ing lame it's not even humorous anymore. Its just sad.

I hope they're not hinting that they're actually the ones doing the animation work for their current projects. Not the Japanese, not South Korea, but a couple of people in HG using some retail animation program and then passing it off as professional work and/or anime. Take for instance:

Anime Studio Debut 7

What other use would a company need with that, let alone make a post about it? Taxes?

I hope they're not hinting that they're actually the ones doing the animation work for their current projects. Not the Japanese, not South Korea, but a couple of people in HG using some retail animation program and then passing it off as professional work and/or anime. Take for instance:

Anime Studio Debut 7

What other use would a company need with that, let alone make a post about it? Taxes?

Hmmm, that program looks like it'd do South Park style animation pretty well.

's just par for the course. By their usual standards for technology-related Robotech news, this is actually pretty big. Time was they'd make a huge fuss every time robotech.com's ancient server started to bog down and Steve had to call the tech support guy to have it band-aided back into operation, and that was practically a biweekly occurrence. When they finally knuckled down and replaced that damn thing after like four years of problems, it was front-page news and easily the biggest news item for Robotech that year (2005).

Yeah, multiple subtitles technology so advanced it had been in use on DVD's for years...

Sketchley already clearly explained the ins and outs on why it is not cheap.

And like I said, that's BS. Subbing-cost will be insignificant and will be not a factor when producing them during the BD-creation.

Actually I do, but it's not relevant to the discussion.

Actually, you don't have the relevant titles that's why you didn't know what you're talking about.

My point stands.

Your point doesn't stand at all since even I can't believe you forgot about Macross Plus stuff.

You haven't given an example of any Japanese edition that has subs, which did not have an earlier licensed edition in the US. I'll leave it at that.

I thought I didn't have to, but check my attachment. Tell me where you can find an earlier licensed R1 edition of that in the US.

post-263-0-67198700-1301168265_thumb.jpg

Wow that update on the RT facebook page is riverting. Am thinking that maybe next time I buy an external HD I'll post it to show people that I am serious about keeping my data safe.....

Its something isn't it. Funny how the base has to go to pay for conventions to see updated material from Robo-Tech's supposed version of Love Live Alive. But we get the whole scoop on an external drive.

Its something isn't it. Funny how the base has to go to pay for conventions to see updated material from Robo-Tech's supposed version of Love Live Alive. But we get the whole scoop on an external drive.

THus shows the primary revenue stream for HG... Sapping suckers for a few bucks at a time...

Btw, for purposes of my own morbid curiousity, please take my poll. I'd appreciate any participation:

http://poll.pollcode.com/ZM6X

There's no 3rd option though, to not have to see either. Shadow Chronicles was an embarrassment, and the Robotech that I used to like has long been buried under a mountain of $h!t.

Fools, you don't see what they're doing at all.

-TEH NEW ROBOTECH ARE ALMOST DONE BEING MADE. NOW WII JUS' NEDE TO TAKES IT 2 THE DVD MAKERS

-OH NO'S, THE HDD HAVE BEEN STEALED,, MUST MAKE ROBOTECH ALLOVER AGANE. NOW IT COMES ON 2013

For the next animated Robotech release of 2011, would you prefer to see:

Eh... I'm definitely with Jasonc on this one, why isn't there a third option for those of us who'd find either option acutely unpleasant? It's the same pathetic low-budget "Yuney Tunes" faux-anime either way, so you're not really even offering us a choice here. All we get to choose in this poll is whether we want an embarrassingly bad Mospeada knockoff to be set before or after the series. What about an option for those of us who don't want to see another B-movie quality Robotech sequel with all the originality of Space Gundam V? Where's the option to take Robotech out behind the shed and finish it off, Old Yeller-style, so it can finally be safe from the depredations of Tommy Yune while it finishes its long slide into oblivion?

Back to the topic of Convention Panels, has anyone ever put serious thought into an opposition panel? Something like 'RT/HG: The Case Against' or something?

The reason I ask is, I see one heck of a lot of nay-sayers on this board, as well as others (not counting personal conversations with a few folks), but I've never heard of any kind of open, public rebuttal. While there's probably a damn good reason for this, I'll be damned if I can think of it.

Eh... I'm definitely with Jasonc on this one, why isn't there a third option for those of us who'd find either option acutely unpleasant? It's the same pathetic low-budget "Yuney Tunes" faux-anime either way, so you're not really even offering us a choice here. All we get to choose in this poll is whether we want an embarrassingly bad Mospeada knockoff to be set before or after the series. What about an option for those of us who don't want to see another B-movie quality Robotech sequel with all the originality of Space Gundam V? Where's the option to take Robotech out behind the shed and finish it off, Old Yeller-style, so it can finally be safe from the depredations of Tommy Yune while it finishes its long slide into oblivion?

I was just curious as to what people would have preferred to see amongst the two.

Back to the topic of Convention Panels, has anyone ever put serious thought into an opposition panel? Something like 'RT/HG: The Case Against' or something?

The reason I ask is, I see one heck of a lot of nay-sayers on this board, as well as others (not counting personal conversations with a few folks), but I've never heard of any kind of open, public rebuttal. While there's probably a damn good reason for this, I'll be damned if I can think of it.

It would have to be coordinated regionally if we were to organize it. I would do it for the NC, SC, TN area, since that's where I am momentarilly. That's a real good idea.

I can see it now, at the beginning of hte panel Kev strolls up iwth a crayon written letter:

"This panel is inviolation of HG's copyright over everything Robotech, please cease and desist immediately, or we will have to persue legal action against you."

Btw, for purposes of my own morbid curiousity, please take my poll. I'd appreciate any participation:

http://poll.pollcode.com/ZM6X

The voting is pretty close. I chose the Lancer side story because I have a morbid curiosity of what was Carl's final project.

The voting is pretty close. I chose the Lancer side story because I have a morbid curiosity of what was Carl's final project.

You may not know this, or maybe it's just another one of HG's misleads, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't "Carl's Final Project". While he may have suggested getting more Robotech story out there through alternative media, as HG staff has said, they never said this was actually his story. From what it sounds like, simply suggested the style of media, and it's all Tommy's story. I think they were using the "Carl's vision" thing play off of the fans' emotions, nothing more.

It's not that I wouldn't mind seeing any new Robotech, I'd like to see it thoroughly branch off into it's own story without relying on Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada characters. They could've used the Shadow Chronicles to wrap up the Rick Hunter SDF-3 drama, and then start off in a different part of space, with new characters, and new mecha. Alas, that requires a level of creativity that they don't seem to have, and if they do, they're scared to death to even try it.

And like I said, that's BS. Subbing-cost will be insignificant and will be not a factor when producing them during the BD-creation.

Key word in that sentence during.

It's very unlikely bandai will go: "Hey, you know what we need to do? Make a Macross Frontier Box Set with English subs on them."

The cost to Japanese companies isn't worth it. Due to the fact that anime market in the US is shrinking

On top of that there would have to include multiple languages in order for the actual release to have a chance at being profitable. So no longer is it 10 man hours to add subs, and change the menu's. It's become closer to idk my guess is 100+ man hours. That would include a language selection menu for when you first put the disc in, the main menu(s) in the selected language, the spoken dialogue, the various signs scattered through out and songs. On top of that someone now has to watch each disc to make sure it's functioning correctly and the disc has to be made in region 0 so it can work in any player worldwide.

All so that they can sell what another 2,000 units worldwide?

Then if it's blu-ray only you could probably cut that number in half b/c not everyone has a br player.

Your point doesn't stand at all since even I can't believe you forgot about Macross Plus stuff.

So are you referring to the Macross Plus Movie edition that only has English subs on it?

I thought I didn't have to, but check my attachment. Tell me where you can find an earlier licensed R1 edition of that in the US.

What is that?

Key word in that sentence during.

Yup. Exactly. During's the keyword.

Like I said before, Frontier-BD was the best chance for Bandai to get around HG's continued blocking and trolling of the Macross-bridge to the US. Frontier was a new and native-BD production back then and the BD was highly anticipated since it's gonna be playable in US-players without any modifications. Not like the MZero-BD where they will actually cost them more to add english-subs post-production years after.

As soon as I got my preordered Frontier-BD vol-1 and disappointingly discovered Bandai didn't put any english-subs still, I canceled all my remaining Frontier-BD preorders from AmazonJapan. There just wasn't any point for me to support the title anymore.

So are you referring to the Macross Plus Movie edition that only has English subs on it?

http://macross.anime.net/production/animation_live_action/plus/index.html

What is that?

http://www.onlineghibli.com/hear_the_sea/

As much as we like calling out Harmony Gold's BS on this thread, I believe the majority of the fandom have no clue who Tommy Yune is and especially the antics Kevin "Send Me Hatemail" McKeever. :(

BTW, would anybody be disappointed if Tommy confirmed there would be no new Mospeada/New Gen-based toys coming out this year? I think someone mentioned it on the RTX boards...

Edited by chrisk

BTW, would anybody be disappointed if Tommy confirmed there would be no new Mospeada/New Gen-based toys coming out this year? I think someone mentioned it on the RTX boards...

Almost certainly not... at least, the majority of Robotech fans aren't likely to notice or care that there are no new New Generation toys coming out this year. I'm sure there will be some pissing and moaning among those fans who are deep enough in denial to believe that the Masters Saga and New Generation actually matter to Robotech.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Dude. Let me get all McKeever on your a$$. Fans will be disappointed by the thousands. Trust me.

The Mospeada/New Gen toys sold well. I mean, I think they did. Why else would they release the TLEAD/Beta fighter toys in three colors? I also read that the Japanese Mospeada bikes all sold out as well. Shadow Chronicles sold gangbusters, and it was a direct continuation of New Gen. Finally, Harmony Gold is producing a sidequel based on the New Gen segment!

Mark my words.

This animated sidequel will be so successful, it will erase this... myopic Macross-rules-em-all view that has permeated the property for the last twenty odd years.

HEHEHEHE