HG and Robotech Debates

BTW, that guy who runs the Robotech podcast "Protoculture Times" actually messaged Cary Fukunaga, the director that was allegedly offered the role to direct the Robotech live action movie, and he courteously replied.

So he did meant exactly as it was in the article, i.e. "robo-tech".

Allow me to quote myself from March 19, 2011 regarding this grasp for attention:

...Wow, talk about blowing it out of context...

If he had an audience, those might cause migraines. Since he doesn't, they don't. :)

Was "Triangular" one of dougbendo's most popular episodes? Or was it "Don't be late"?

Then when I posted Cary's response to my ...you see a change of tune faster than a DJ on Friday night! And you're right Chris, this GUY will NEVER admit he was wrong......unless Tommy tells him so. :lol:

I'm glad to know MEMO has zero integrity. Just like everyone else running the property!

Edited by chrisk

I'm glad to know MEMO has zero integrity. Just like everyone else running the property!

I suggested to him that he just admit that saying Cary turned down the movie project was FALSE any way you look at it and the "sour grapes" remarks he made about him were out of line I even gave him an out saying that to save face he could blame it ALL on Mav because he told him about this piece of "news" to begin with....And THEN I got this...

WHOA THERE GUY.

I STAND FOR WHAT I SAID. AND WILL REPEATED IN HIS FACE IF POSSIBLE ABOUT IT. AS AN UP AND COMING DIRECTOR TO THROW SOMETHING GOOD OUT LIKE THAT SURE SPARKS AN INTEREST.

NOW WHY WOULD I THROW MAV UNDER THE BUS AND FOR WHAT? THERE WAS A REPORT OUT THERE AND WAS JUST POSTED HERE. UP TO US TO FIGURE IT OUT. EXCEPT THIS TIME HE WAS MORE STRAIGHT FORWARD ON THE ISSUE.

Could someone PLEASE translate this???? :blink:

I'll still call it Robo-tech from now on in honor of certain people in the "biz" wasting so much of people's time because they couldn't understand context and the use of a damn lower case r and a slash to justify hours of rants on forums and talkshoe. And if it turns out to be called an elaborate April Fools Day prank in the future, it was too early by a couple of weeks to be one. Besides, they pull too much BS like this on a regular basis to actually make it funny anymore, both fanboys and the official talent running the franchise alike.

Edited by Einherjar

Ahhhh, incoherent, under pressure internet ramblings. They usually seem to get worse when put on the spot, and maybe that's a way of unconsciously covering up the party fouls. Who the hell knows. It's a character trait that is not so uncommon. Some people just become incoherent when exposed. It's like not having a poker face. You just know when they should be putting up the white flag.

I've always been curious to know why some poeple would rather look be proven a dumb@ss, than be proven wrong? It's not like everyone is right all the time, but once you make yourself out to be a moron, that's more of a character issue than just messing up facts. Like I've said, that's why it's fun to watch it unfold.

Ahhhh, incoherent, under pressure internet ramblings. They usually seem to get worse when put on the spot, and maybe that's a way of unconsciously covering up the party fouls. Who the hell knows. It's a character trait that is not so uncommon. Some people just become incoherent when exposed. It's like not having a poker face. You just know when they should be putting up the white flag.

I've always been curious to know why some poeple would rather look be proven a dumb@ss, than be proven wrong? It's not like everyone is right all the time, but once you make yourself out to be a moron, that's more of a character issue than just messing up facts. Like I've said, that's why it's fun to watch it unfold.

I was listening to Adam Carolla's podcast last night and he ranted about TV execs never admitting fault and when they are wrong, they blame the audience, the set design, whatever. I think it has more to do with insecurity... ego, and all that. I would if I were someone like MEMO I suppose.

That's why when you hear anyone even remotely connected with Robotech being upfront or truthful about a situation, it's like a breath of fresh air. You're almost not sure what to make of it!

One of the things that bothers me about HG are the cease and desist letters certain groups get while other are ignored. For instance a while back, wasn't there a fan group working on a Robotech animation/cgi hybrid? Well if I remember correctly they were told to stop yet the peeps in Argentina are allowed to do their live action fan film? That makes no sense.

Maybe no-one in HG knows Spanish. :rolleyes:

I suggested to him that he just admit that saying Cary turned down the movie project was FALSE any way you look at it and the "sour grapes" remarks he made about him were out of line I even gave him an out saying that to save face he could blame it ALL on Mav because he told him about this piece of "news" to begin with....And THEN I got this...

Could someone PLEASE translate this???? :blink:

I'll translate that if you translate this for me:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

ps99041 wrote:

RTX is about the fan perspective but according to HG you're not a fan if you criticize their actions.

IF MANGA HER WOULD LIKE TO FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE ON YOUR PERSPECTIVE OF CRITICIZING IN HG REALM, HE WELCOME TO IT BUT HE WILL BE SHORT LIVE.

FOR A WHILE THERE I THOUGHT YOU WOULD LAST BUT YOU COULD NOT HELP YOURSELF.

WELCOME TO RTX. YOUR OTHER CHOICE FOR FAN PERSPECTIVE.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

ps99041 wrote:

RTX is about the fan perspective but according to HG you're not a fan if you criticize their actions.

IF MANGA HER WOULD LIKE TO FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE ON YOUR PERSPECTIVE OF CRITICIZING IN HG REALM, HE WELCOME TO IT BUT HE WILL BE SHORT LIVE.

OOOK-OOOK!!! ME TARZAN, YOU JANE!!!

Edited by Shaorin

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

ps99041 wrote:

Translation: "Welcome to robo-tech.com and robo-techx.com. I'm the mod. STFU."

its funny that a mass effect anime movie is already in production and due out by 2012, while hg can't do poo with RT except show a hard drive.

's just the facts of life... Mass Effect is a competently-managed property and Robotech is not. I'd hazard a guess that it's probably not helping that the continuation of Robotech's animated series is on indefinite hold pending progress on a live-action movie that's been stuck in development hell since it was announced because its producer keeps finding better things to do (like four other movies, at last count).

Seto Kaiba user_popup.png

Posted Today, 12:48 PM

snapback.pngNegotiator, on 08 April 2011 - 06:15 AM, said:

its funny that a mass effect anime movie is already in production and due out by 2012, while hg can't do poo with RT except show a hard drive.

's just the facts of life... Mass Effect is a competently-managed property and Robotech is not. I'd hazard a guess that it's probably not helping that the continuation of Robotech's animated series is on indefinite hold pending progress on a live-action movie that's been stuck in development hell since it was announced because its producer keeps finding better things to do (like four other movies, at last count).

But who can blame them, I mean a company would be better going for a property that would sell to a bigger market, then a franchise with a dwindelling fans base so they can get back costs.

But who can blame them, I mean a company would be better going for a property that would sell to a bigger market, then a franchise with a dwindelling fans base so they can get back costs.

Maybe WB just wants the Macross license?

Perhaps Warner Bros. may have even seen how the legal issues affecting the franchise may be too much to overcome. It's not like they would be the first company to buy the rights to something that were already in a tangled web.

I suspect they may eventually let the rights return to owner. They have enough "in house franchise" such as finishing the Harry Potter movies. Then with Marvel's success at the box office, W.B. has their DC comic adapatations to worry about. Take for example, the 3rd Batman titles for next year, the Superman movie for 12'-13'. Then you have to flesh some other movies to go the inevitable Justice League route to match Marvel's Avengers. Thehn the sequels to such movies, such as Wonder Woman and more Superman films.

Then they also have the Potential Xerexes(300) movie. Then the Tomb Raider film franchise. Also they have the Lord of the Rings, not sure if they have rights to the Hobbit though.

On the Animation front, they have Thundercats, Young Justice, and a New Looney Toons series. Plus the DC animated films.

All these combine to make me believe that Robotech related films and/or animated works and games would be much lower on the priority chart than anything else. Combine this with the complicated legal issues and the fact that aside from Transformers (which the film series is ending this year) most 80's properties are returning not as movies but as animated series, the prospects for a LAM RT movie seems slim.

In the end I think HG wagered all their potential prospects in the WB basket only to find out too late that nothing of substance will come from it in the near future. Eventually you have to look back and when 2012 hits, look at Robotech and see that since 06' nothing has happened. Sure the sidequel is in production but between 02-06 there were book reprints, new comic series,games, TSC...etc etc etc...(quality not withstanding) things were being done. This leads me to believe that if nothing comes o the WB deal, then expect Kevin and Tommy to be given the boot.

Then again this is all my opinion only.

Edited by Richardmvela

Yup! By the look of things, it didn't take Maguire Entertainment long to figure out that Robotech is a property with extremely limited niche appeal and put the project on the back burner in favor of films with broader appeal and better prospects.

Maybe WB just wants the Macross license?

I doubt it... I'm more inclined to suspect that Warner Bros bought the live-action Robotech movie rights just to keep them out of Paramount's hands.

Yup! By the look of things, it didn't take Maguire Entertainment long to figure out that Robotech is a property with extremely limited niche appeal and put the project on the back burner in favor of films with broader appeal and better prospects.

I doubt it... I'm more inclined to suspect that Warner Bros bought the live-action Robotech movie rights just to keep them out of Paramount's hands.

Is this the whole anchor point to why Paramount is "Quaking in their boots?" Pfffff, Hahahahaha. This is cutting edge stuff, man, so sharp, it'll cut you where you sit.

I started a thread on RT.com a bit over a month ago, then I found out that I could be flat out banned for it by friends here and other boards so I never bothered to post anymore in it. I just flat out asked why HG themselves couldn't get the rights to bring over the 1/48 /60/72/100 etc. valks. Eventually MEMO made a post in the thread. Enjoy.

"The outcome of that was Tatsunoko retained the property they purchased, the international distribution and merchandise rights. Also, Japanese law allows the designs for the show to be retained by Big West because it's their right as the creator/author of those designs, or something like that. Another thing they do is separate out movie/TV production from producing merchandise. "

THE LAWSUIT DID NOT VENTURE TO RIGHTS OUTSIDE OF JAPAN. AND AS I UNDERSTAND BW DOES NOT HAVE AUTHOR RIGHTS. ITS THE CREATORS. AS IN THE ARTIST THEMSELVES. AND WHO SIGNED A SEPARATE CONTRACT WITH TATSUNOKO.

"American law doesn't seem to make those distinctions, so while America respects Japanese law because of intellectual property treaties, Harmony Gold probably doesn't have to make new animation with the designs to retain their rights or sue someone over them. The usage in merchandise is good enough for "use it or lose it" according to American law. And so, Harmony Gold defends all the rights according to how America defines them. Again, I'm not a lawyer, I'm just passing along things I've heard, but I hope that helps."

AS HG BEEN RESPECTING THE LAW IN REGARDS TU TATSUNOKO OWNERSHIP OF RIGHTS OUTSIDE OF JAPAN.

AND TO ADD, NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE CONTRACTS ARE BETWEEN ALL PARTY'S OUTSIDE OF SAID COMPANY'S.

AND SINCE THIS IS ABOUT DISTRIBUTION...WHY YOU HAVE THE "JAPAN MACROSS STAY IN JAPAN" AND "TATSUNOKO MACROSS IS REST OF THE WORLD" FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND.

Can anyone translate what hey's trying to say?

Edited by gaiden

Is this the whole anchor point to why Paramount is "Quaking in their boots?" Pfffff, Hahahahaha. This is cutting edge stuff, man, so sharp, it'll cut you where you sit.

As if... it'd be generous indeed to even suggest that Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION's desperate delusions about Warner's plans for a Robotech live action movie had even the most tenuous basis in reality. All that garbage about how Paramount must be quaking in their collective boots and that they rushed Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen out for fear of having to compete with the Robotech live action movie is just that... garbage. If Paramount ever actually saw the crap they're saying, they'd laugh themselves sick!

I started a thread on RT.com a bit over a month ago, then I found out that I could be flat out banned for it by friends here and other boards so I never bothered to post anymore in it. I just flat out asked why HG themselves couldn't get the rights to bring over the 1/48 /60/72/100 etc. valks. Eventually MEMO made a post in the thread. Enjoy.

Sure thing... I can take a stab at it. I wouldn't recommend even talking to MEMO if you can help it, any debate would be you having a battle of wits with an unarmed man, and that's just not fair. ;)

Y'see, for some reason MEMO doesn't understand that copyrights are respected worldwide under international laws and treaties, which leads him to take something Alan Letz said about the early rounds of the legal tiff between Big West and Tatsunoko having essentially no bearing on Harmony Gold's Robotech franchise and their licensed rights to the original Macross series. MEMO is "creatively misinterpreting" Mr. Letz's factual statement to mean that the disputed copyrights on the Macross source material were somehow only valid in Japan, and that Harmony Gold had somehow copyrighted those designs in the Americas. As you can tell, that's an idea with more holes than a colander. He also appears to be claiming that it was Tatsunoko who sponsored the show during its development, that it was Studio Nue who contracted with Tatsunoko to make the series, and that as such Tatsunoko is owner and author of the original Macross series and everything it contains. This, of course, is patently untrue as even a glance at Wikipedia could tell you... it was Big West who picked the series up after its original sponsor (Wiz) went under, bankrolled it, and contracted with Tatsunoko AFTER production of the series had already started, which is why Big West is the owner of the Macross franchise as a whole.

He's also making a false claim that nobody knows any details of the contracts between Big West and Tatsunoko, or Tatsunoko and Harmony Gold, and that the substance of his previous claims are the reasons why Tatsunoko has the distribution rights to the SDF Macross series outside of Japan and Big West doesn't.

The whole thing is complete crap, and just goes to prove that ignorant short-bus seatwarmers that robotech.com made moderators have never, EVER known what they're talking about.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

As if... it'd be generous indeed to even suggest that Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION's desperate delusions about Warner's plans for a Robotech live action movie had even the most tenuous basis in reality. All that garbage about how Paramount must be quaking in their collective boots and that they rushed Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen out for fear of having to compete with the Robotech live action movie is just that... garbage. If Paramount ever actually saw the crap they're saying, they'd laugh themselves sick!

Sure thing... I can take a stab at it. I wouldn't recommend even talking to MEMO if you can help it, any debate would be you having a battle of wits with an unarmed man, and that's just not fair. ;)

Y'see, for some reason MEMO doesn't understand that copyrights are respected worldwide under international laws and treaties, which leads him to take something Alan Letz said about the early rounds of the legal tiff between Big West and Tatsunoko having essentially no bearing on Harmony Gold's Robotech franchise and their licensed rights to the original Macross series. MEMO is "creatively misinterpreting" Mr. Letz's factual statement to mean that the disputed copyrights on the Macross source material were somehow only valid in Japan, and that Harmony Gold had somehow copyrighted those designs in the Americas. As you can tell, that's an idea with more holes than a colander. He also appears to be claiming that it was Tatsunoko who sponsored the show during its development, that it was Studio Nue who contracted with Tatsunoko to make the series, and that as such Tatsunoko is owner and author of the original Macross series and everything it contains. This, of course, is patently untrue as even a glance at Wikipedia could tell you... it was Big West who picked the series up after its original sponsor (Wiz) went under, bankrolled it, and contracted with Tatsunoko AFTER production of the series had already started, which is why Big West is the owner of the Macross franchise as a whole.

He's also making a false claim that nobody knows any details of the contracts between Big West and Tatsunoko, or Tatsunoko and Harmony Gold, and that the substance of his previous claims are the reasons why Tatsunoko has the distribution rights to the SDF Macross series outside of Japan and Big West doesn't.

The whole thing is complete crap, and just goes to prove that ignorant short-bus seatwarmers that robotech.com made moderators have never, EVER known what they're talking about.

In short, does that mean HG could release Macross Frontier on CN if they go through the motions to do it, if they wanted to?

I think you fundamentally misunderstood what you just read. Reread it.

Yeah, I figured after I posted, I hadn't really grasped it. Its really frustrating. I thought side hobbies were suppose to be enjoyable. Thanks for pointing it out though.

First off. Is his Caps Lock key broken?

Or does he always type like an *sshole?

Edited by UN Spacy

I don't think we will see any of Macross Frontier on Blu-Ray other then in Japanese from Japan. Legally that is.

I do think we would once HG lift its so called international rights on Macross. But I think it should only be a few more years, unless HG have a miracle and produce something that gets everyone interested in RT again. In there version of the 3 series. And that would be a hard one as most people these days want to see it as the orginal creators wanted it to be. Redubbing and changing the original stories is a thing of the past.

the only thing you can do is watch the Fansubbed versions.