All Things Video Games Thread: II

Nintendo really had a killer showing at E3. The 3DS looks really awesome. MGS:3D Snake Eater looks amazing and is enough to sell me on the console. Not really a fan of Kinect or w/e Natal is called now, or the PS3 motion controls, OR console games in 3D. I wish some fads would hurry up and die already.

That being said, Twisted Metal, and the 2 Warhammer 40k games look awesome, as does Portal 2. I just wish Valve would announce SOMETHING for the next chapter of Half Life 2.

Oh 3DS, you had me at Snake Eater, then threw in Mario Kart, SRW, Gundam, & Martha Stewert!? (no but really, Snake Eater looks freakin' awesome).

Now I await Sony to put more cash into developing their next gen PSP that's somewhere between PS2 & PS3 power wise, and has TWO FREAKIN' ANALOG STICKS/NUBS with a next gen MUF style game, and I'll be sold there as well.

I firmly believe Nintendo stole the show. The other two guys are trying, when I looked at Move it seemed to me like Sony was flailing or struggling if you will to try and do a one-up by showing up with something that's been done to death. I can't wait for the 3DS and I guess I'll buy a Wii when Golden Eye is released. I'm not a fanboy but damn Sony, you are weak. I wasn't sold by Kinect either, but at least it was an effort to revive what Sony had previously tried and possibly more successful. I own a 360 and PS3 and I only have 2 games worth a damn for PS3. One thing I wished Namco showed off Ace Combat 7 or came out with the announcement, HAWX is never gonna live up to Ace Combat in either story telling or graphics and gameplay. I got to spend a lot of money on games this year...my game library expands by one or 2 games a year, this year it's going to be many. :wacko:

I still have yet to get a DS, but I can't wait for the 3DS. Does anyone know of a price or release date yet?

I'm still shocked they referred to the Virtual Boy, when they mentioned Nintendo's first foray into 3D fifteen years ago. They made a mistake though because the Famicom did 3D before that. :p I just hope they release a Virtual Boy compilation for the 3DS.

I still have yet to get a DS, but I can't wait for the 3DS. Does anyone know of a price or release date yet?

I'm still shocked they referred to the Virtual Boy, when they mentioned Nintendo's first foray into 3D fifteen years ago. They made a mistake though because the Famicom did 3D before that. :p I just hope they release a Virtual Boy compilation for the 3DS.

No announced price, but it will likely be around $200. I would be shocked if Nintendo launched a handheld for much more than that. The GBA, GBA SP, DS, and DS Lite all launched at $150. The DSi launched at $130. The DSi XL at $190.

No announced price, but it will likely be around $200. I would be shocked if Nintendo launched a handheld for much more than that. The GBA, GBA SP, DS, and DS Lite all launched at $150. The DSi launched at $130. The DSi XL at $190.

Actually, the GBA and SP launched for $90 and $100, respectively. There's still hope it could launch at a cheap price.

Sony: almost all PS3 games were a thumbs up for me. Kevin Butler owns all.

Nintendo: Show stealer was Kid Icarus. Glad he's back. Wii games were a non-buy except for Zelda. Need to justify + controllers....and dust gathering Wii. 3DS - very interesting but my DSL(and PSP)gathers dust as well. iPhone covers my portable gaming and I can pull it out during meetings without being too rude. Can't do that with a DS/PSP.

Microsoft:

original.gif

Really looking forward to Move with Child of Eden.

Actually, the GBA and SP launched for $90 and $100, respectively. There's still hope it could launch at a cheap price.

And the DSi launched (and still is) $170, not $130. $130 is the current price of a DS Lite. I'm calling $200 for the 3DS, if we're lucky.

I didn't realize til after I posted that the demo was MP. How are the controls and transforming? Silky smooth and not too clunky or awkward? I am looking forward to the SP more that the MP, but if the MP is fun, I'll give it some time too.

Pretty good. I think I would have liked it better if they didn't just throw you into a team deathmatch without explaining the controls or anything. Gameplay is third person shooter, but not as clunky as Gears of War. The face buttons, starting with X/square and going around clockwise, are reload, switch weapons, special power, and jump. R1/RB is for tossing a grenade, R2/RT fires your weapon. L1/LB does a quick forward dash, and R2/LT is aim. Clicking in the left stick transforms, and clicking in the right stick does a melee attack.

There are four classes in the multiplayer, and only two are available: scout and leader. I tried a scout. I guess a scout is quicker? The scout's special ability is to turn invisible, but he didn't seem to have much heath and his weapons were kind of weak. I only managed to get one kill (and to give you an idea how bad that is, game is first team to 40).

Judging by the multiplayer, I think most people are better off with Modern Warfare or Battlefield Bad Company 2, but Transformers fans who are tired of those games will definitely enjoy the mp. Unfortunately, the game doesn't really give us a look at the campaign, which is what I'm most interested in.

Saw some of E3 last night, the Mickey Mouse game actually looks like it might be a winner. Animation fans like us can have fun finding old characters and places from the Disney franchises in the game. (OK - maybe not all of us would care, but I thought it was neat). The paintbrush thing kind of had a "Super Mario: Sunshine" vibe to it though.

Saw some of E3 last night, the Mickey Mouse game actually looks like it might be a winner. Animation fans like us can have fun finding old characters and places from the Disney franchises in the game. (OK - maybe not all of us would care, but I thought it was neat). The paintbrush thing kind of had a "Super Mario: Sunshine" vibe to it though.

I think the name of the Mickey Mouse game is "Epic Mickey".

I didn't realize til after I posted that the demo was MP. How are the controls and transforming? Silky smooth and not too clunky or awkward? I am looking forward to the SP more that the MP, but if the MP is fun, I'll give it some time too.

I imagine that different characters/classes control a bit differently. The scout I was playing was basically a green Bumblebee, and I can tell you that he wasn't clunky at all. Ignore the fact that he's a robot, and he felt like any other third person shooter. Transforming felt pretty natural, if not as fluid as RotF. The controls for transformed Bumblebee were a tad disappointing because they were identical to bod-mode Bumblebee. He doesn't drive on tires; he sort of hovers. You push the analog stick forward to go forward, right or left to strafe, etc. Alt mode didn't feel particularly fast, either, so I didn't feel like there was a compelling reason to do it. I'm hoping that different alt-modes might play differently, or that there might be a better reason to transform in the campaign.

I imagine that different characters/classes control a bit differently. The scout I was playing was basically a green Bumblebee, and I can tell you that he wasn't clunky at all. Ignore the fact that he's a robot, and he felt like any other third person shooter. Transforming felt pretty natural, if not as fluid as RotF. The controls for transformed Bumblebee were a tad disappointing because they were identical to bod-mode Bumblebee. He doesn't drive on tires; he sort of hovers. You push the analog stick forward to go forward, right or left to strafe, etc. Alt mode didn't feel particularly fast, either, so I didn't feel like there was a compelling reason to do it. I'm hoping that different alt-modes might play differently, or that there might be a better reason to transform in the campaign.

Did the scout have wings coming out of the sides, like the ones Bumblebee had in the pilot of G1?

Did the scout have wings coming out of the sides, like the ones Bumblebee had in the pilot of G1?

Nope. He looked like War for Cybtertron Bumblebee. You can see pics of the toy here. Just imagine he's green instead of yellow, and that those tires are actually maneuvering thrusters.

For multiplayer, you'll be able to design your own character. I think you'll be able to pick from more templates than just Bumblebee for scout.

Epic Mickey had the potentional to truly be epic, if you look at the original concept art. Would have been amazing, far beyond what Kingdom Hearts does--a "dark" Disney action-RPG. But it seems to have been watered down into kind of a Zelda knock-off or something.

Epic Mickey had the potentional to truly be epic, if you look at the original concept art. Would have been amazing, far beyond what Kingdom Hearts does--a "dark" Disney action-RPG. But it seems to have been watered down into kind of a Zelda knock-off or something.

I agree...it looked very dark and now it's all cartoony looking. Guess Disney didn't want to take it that far. My interest admittedly dropped off completely once I saw it at E3.

you can boost with holding the left trigger while in vehicle form. don't forget that you also have speical abilities on the left and right bumpers. (leveling up will unlock more abilities)

Edited by Gunbuster

Sears is breaking the street date on War for Cybertron. I passed on Shockwave and canceled my Gamestop reserve, all so I could start playing it this weekend.

Sorry for the crap quality; my phone doesn't take the best pics.

post-187-127687671955_thumb.jpg

3DS makes me so glad I couldn't justify a DSi XL(only wanted it because it's bigger than a DSLite and I'm an old fogey, not because there's any DSi software I'm interested in). I'd feel like the kids that got a GameBoy Color right before the Advance came out.

As soon as a black+red version hits shelves, I'll be all over that. Virtual Boy, yo!

But when do we get a 3DS XL? I actually WANT the bigger system!

Finished the Decepticon campaign in War for Cybertron. It's definitely a good game, but not as groundbreaking as they've hyped it to be. The whole "Dark Energon" plot is reminiscent of the 80's cartoon in that it plays out like just another one of Megatron's diabolical schemes.

When/if you guys pick up the game, check out the concept art in the extras. That just might be the coolest alt mode for Shockwave I've ever seen... too bad he's only in the multiplayer, and even then only if you preordered it from Gamestop.