All Things Video Games Thread: II

I'm surprised it took Xplay, or this thread that long to get that info about the new Goldeneye, that tidbit was one of the first things revealed about the game.

On an unrelated note, got the newest Borderlands DLC, haven't played it though as we are supposed to get a free patch that grants 8 (or 9) more levels. Doesn't make much sense to play all the new goodies without gaining the full exp benefits.

I don't believe Ken Penders is a famous writer, so it seems odd that Archie Comics would award him complete ownership over his stories and characters. It's possible that Archie Comics unknowingly offered Penders a contract that gave him complete ownership, but the contract would have to explicitly state just that. The Second Circuit (which would have jurisdiction over this matter) has held that, in the absense of an explicitly designated owner, the copyright is awarded to whoever had the ultimate decision making authority over the work. In this case, I'm pretty certain Archie Comics would have the final say over what hit the printing press, not Penders.

Looks like he lost.

http://www.tssznews.com/2010/10/08/archie-prevailed-in-penders-copyright-case/

'>

Hope Bioware remembers about Sonic Chronicles 2 sometime in the future, now that they can use all the expanded universe material again.

In 2011, there's going to be a Mega Man comic book from Archie. Interestingly, it will be done by the staff that currently works on the Sonic the Hedgehog comic book.

Mega Man Comic Coming To Newsstands In Spring 2011

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vBCSLbKJ7nI/TK_PfEO3ulI/AAAAAAAAF0U/n5yHed_QI9A/s1600/megamancover1.jpg

'>

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vBCSLbKJ7nI/TK_PfEO3ulI/AAAAAAAAF0U/n5yHed_QI9A/s1600/megamancover1.jpg

Edited by Einherjar

Looks like he lost.

'>

Hope Bioware remembers about Sonic Chronicles 2 sometime in the future, now that they can use all the expanded universe material again.

Thanks for the update. I think it's funny that all it took was a single phone call from Archie's legal department to shut Penders up. Penders' argument had more holes in it than a fishing net.

I'm confident that Sega and Bioware were following these developments closely and will exploit the expanded universe again as needed. If Penders' claim had a shred of legitimacy, then I could see how Sega and Bioware might be reluctant to risk using that material again. Fortunately, that wasn't the case.

Some random Fallout news. The voice acting cast for the soon-to-arrive Fallout: New Vegas is out. Some noticeable names there and some returning ones.

Ron Perlman is back again to do his narration, something he's done for every Fallout game since the first which was out in around '97.

Michael Dorn (Worf from Star Trek) is back again as Marcus, a character he voiced in FO2 back in '98.

Right now I'm haveing a blast with the indie game Aphelion Episode 1 Graves of the Earth (from Lunatic Studios). If you're into the old-school RPGs, then this game's for you; it has a science-fiction setting. You can get it on XBox Live Marketplace for a few points.

I'll give a full review once I finish this game.

I was tempted to start an all-indie version of the All Video Games thread, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the moderators would merge it with this thread.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Not a double post.

Penders is also a decent inker. The work he did on Knuckles the Echidna #28 was pretty good.

Just started Fallout: New Vegas, and am about to have the time of my life in the Mojave Wasteland The Great Basin. I'm going for a rather decent sniper/sneaker build.

My starting stats (bear in mind that I'm not min/maxing for my first character; I didn't want to nerf myself in a particular Attribute):

S: 5

P: 6 (I know, kinda low for a sniper, I hope to get an implant to rectify this; at least I can get the Sniper Perk at level 12)

E: 5

C: 5

I: 6 (I wanted the minor skill point boost)

A: 7 (Critical for my Guns and Sneak Skills, and my V.A.T.S. regeneration)

L: 6 (I'm planning on gambling, so I figured a little boost wouldn't hurt)

Tag Skills:

Guns (for the Sniper Rifles)

Sneak (so I can get the drop on the bastards before they even see me)

Repair (do I need to give an explanation why I chose this one?)

Traits:

Trigger Discipline (I'll take the 20% firing speed for the 20% accuracy boost)

I think I'll go for Wild Wasteland on my second playthrough, as well as the Hardcore mode.

You could always wear headgear that gives you +1 to your P stat.

I'm playing New Vegas, and I'm having a freaking blast.

I know that. The base number of the Attribute (including implant) is used in determining whether or not you can get a perk that has a minimum Attribute value as a prerequisite (to get the Level 12 Sniper Perk you need to have a natural (implanted) Perception of a 6).

I've been wondering where all the New Vegas players are at. I'm at level 14, and I just found the Strip. I'm liking it, but it doesn't seem quite as good as Fallout 3 was.

I just started the game, I'm still at Level 1 and in the, in Danny DeVito's words from "Romancing the Stone", first "one-horse shithole" :p , I mean Goodspring ;) .

Early reviews seem to say it's a 5-hour game with all the flaws of the original and more. I'll just rent it.

Fable 3 however, seems like it may actually be what Fable 1 (and 2) promised to be. But I already have a game backlog at the moment, and Fable games often drop in price fairly quickly, so I'll probably wait.

Anyone getting TFU2 tomorrow? I know I am... ^_^

Demo was pretty cool, not too fond of the highlighted items/mobs that show who you are targeting but Mind Trick makes up for that lol.

I liked TFU, despite it's mediocre reviews, but I hear that TFU2 is worse in every category except Force Powers. I grabbed Rock Band 3 instead.

Anyone heard played the two Lost Planet games? I'm pretty interested with the second one from what i've seen, though i guess i should start with the first.

Skip the first and go straight to the second. It does everything better and its just a better game.

Just some advice. If you really want to get the most out of the game convince a friend to buy it as well and play through the story mode in online co-op. That is where the real fun is. Playing single player doesn't do the game any justice.

Skip the first and go straight to the second. It does everything better and its just a better game.

Just some advice. If you really want to get the most out of the game convince a friend to buy it as well and play through the story mode in online co-op. That is where the real fun is. Playing single player doesn't do the game any justice.

Sure thing. I'll go straight into the second game, plus i have a few friends who have the game, so i'll do just that.

Thanks a lot.

I know that. The base number of the Attribute (including implant) is used in determining whether or not you can get a perk that has a minimum Attribute value as a prerequisite (to get the Level 12 Sniper Perk you need to have a natural (implanted) Perception of a 6).

I thought it was all based on what your base endurance was.

I've been wondering where all the New Vegas players are at. I'm at level 14, and I just found the Strip. I'm liking it, but it doesn't seem quite as good as Fallout 3 was.

I hate the glitches in the game.

anyone do the free quest Dealing with Contreras?

so far it doesn't seem worth the effort.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing Fallout: New Vegas for a few days now after coming back from Idaho. I read about the bugs (hey, it is Obsidian Ent. after all) but heard about the gameplay that's improved upon from Fallout 3. So I took the gamble and dove in.

Right now I'm Lv22. Specializing in Guns, Repair, a bit of Lockpicking, and Barter. Playing mostly a good-guy and seem to have found myself being favored by the NCR. I appreciate what Obsidian's doing with the open game world since I tend to ignore main quests. I also like the larger amount of weapons (esp. those in Guns category) in the vanilla version of the game compared to FO3, so that's a great plus. Not to mention the nods to the modding community by including their ideas into FONV such as the weapon mod kits.

Speaking of mods, I got loaded in something to include a Tommy Gun w/ Drum Magazine. A bit too strong on DPS/DAM but it's a fun weapon. All I need is a dark pinstripe suit and a suitable hat, cigarettes, and a violin case.

Another thing I'm really looking forward to with the PC version is when the mod community gets to grips with this game. The mod / fans of Fallout 3 have been very good to that game, and I'm anticipating good stuff to be coming down the road for FONV also.

I also finally ran into the Brotherhood bunker. A bit tricky in getting a chance to peacefully talk with them if you arrive at bad time in Hidden Valley. In past Fallout games I try to get on the good graces of the Brotherhood of Steel. In FONV's timeframe though, I'm surprised by how low they've been struck down.

At the moment i'm playing Eternal Sonata on the PS3. Absolutely lovely game, and a must for any fan of Chopin and his music. :p

Apart from that it's just Macross Ultimate Frontier on the PSP. In the mood fora new RPG on the PSP though. Was playing Star Ocean though i've pretty can't handle anymore of that awful dub. Could always carry on with Final Fantasy, plus i have Half Minute Hero that needs finishing off.

Took my time and finally beat Fallout: New Vegas. Went with an independent NV route while keeping friendly to the NCR until the last minute. Unfortunately by playing as a goody-two-shoes, I came across the glaring problem of not enough bad guys to perforate with hot lead. My next toon will be Death Incarnate. If it breathes, it dies If it moves, it dies (not sure if Ghouls breathe) :ph34r:

Figured I'd give the new Hot Pursuit a try. On the positive side, it's probably the best-looking NFS of this console generation, and the cop missions are crazy fun. Oh, and I think it's the first game I've played that actually has the moving spoiler on the Bugatti Veyron. Something else I like is that you can play your single-player career, but if you have friends playing the game it'll keep track of what they're doing. For example, there's a cop mission where you want to take out as many racers as you can before they cross the finish line. So you not only have the challenge of trying to take out all of them to get a gold medal, but you can also see what your friend's time was on the same event and try to beat him.

On the downside, it's very much a throwback to pre-Underground, and it lacks a lot of the franchise's evolution. In fact, it reminds me in some ways of Burnout 3. The career consists of a map, and events pop up on the map. There are events for racing, and cop events. Depending on how you do, you can either get a bronze/pass, a silver/merit, or a gold/distinction. You also earn points. The more points you have, the higher your level and the more cars you'll unlock. And that's pretty much it.

Of the six NFS games of the current console generation, I'd say Hot Pursuit is one of the better ones. Maybe not as good as Most Wanted or Undercover (which was good, I don't give a flip what the magazines said), but better than Carbon, Shift, and ProStreet.

Anyone hear played Vanquish yet? Finally got around to picking up a copy today. Played about half an hour, and i'm totally blown away. It sure does deliver everything it said it would. Sure the story is nothing incredible, though this is one of those games where gameplay completely steals it all. I'm not even one for shoot 'em ups, though this has completely won me over.

Anyone hear played Vanquish yet? Finally got around to picking up a copy today. Played about half an hour, and i'm totally blown away. It sure does deliver everything it said it would. Sure the story is nothing incredible, though this is one of those games where gameplay completely steals it all. I'm not even one for shoot 'em ups, though this has completely won me over.

Got it when it was released. Loved it. I had trouble following the story and didn't know why the supposed colony was filled with robots with no civilians in sight, but who cares? Action was top notch. Its a shame that its so short though and I clocked 5 hours on my 1st play through. Now playing a 2nd time to get better scores and the challenges.

I had trouble following the story and didn't know why the supposed colony was filled with robots with no civilians in sight, but who cares?

Probably because it's more fun shooting at robots. :p

Can't wait to see the dancing robots that i've been told about.