All Things Video Games Thread: II

3DS makes me so glad I couldn't justify a DSi XL(only wanted it because it's bigger than a DSLite and I'm an old fogey, not because there's any DSi software I'm interested in). I'd feel like the kids that got a GameBoy Color right before the Advance came out.

As soon as a black+red version hits shelves, I'll be all over that. Virtual Boy, yo!

But when do we get a 3DS XL? I actually WANT the bigger system!

I just hope the 3DS isn't too small for my hands. The screen wouldn't bother me nearly as much as the ergonomics. With my large hands, it makes PSP literally painful to play for any length of time.

BTW, is the Power Glove making a return? :phttp://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/19/the-xio-control-harness-arms-you-for-action/#continued

I just hope the 3DS isn't too small for my hands. The screen wouldn't bother me nearly as much as the ergonomics. With my large hands, it makes PSP literally painful to play for any length of time.

Well, the 3DS is roughly the same size as the DSi but it's slightly thicker. I think Kotaku has comparison pics...

Sorry, Black Valkyrie attached a comparison pic :) And it's slightly bigger in all dimensions.

...I don't like the glossiness all that much.

Edited by shiroikaze

BTW, is the Power Glove making a return? :phttp://www.joystiq.c...tion/#continued

VR controllers keep popping up, mainly in the PC market(in fact, most Power Gloves sold went to computer hobbyists. It was easy to adapt it for PC use, and it was the cheapest VR controller money could buy that actually WORKED).

No one so far's been willing to commit to getting them taken seriously, so they all wind up as expensive toys with very little use.

From Magicbox :

Nintendo revealed a new trailer of 3DS, which revealed several NES and SNES classics which will be coming to 3DS with 3D effects, including:

Mega Man 2

Castlevania

Urban Champion

Kid Icarus

Yoshi's Island

Smash Ping Pong - Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros.

Tennis

The Legend of Zelda

Metroid

Mystery of Murasame Castle

Mega Man 2

As a big Mega Man fan, I'll probably buy it if I get a 3DS... but I still gotta question why Capcom's wasting resources on a 3D NES game instead of Powered Up 2...

As a big Mega Man fan, I'll probably buy it if I get a 3DS... but I still gotta question why Capcom's wasting resources on a 3D NES game instead of Powered Up 2...

Because no one bought Powered Up, but EVERYONE bought MM9 and MM10(even some people that don't LIKE Megaman).

Though they have to rework the assets in any case, so it's kind of crazy.

You could probably get away with a quick hack on many SNES games by setting the playfield layer to the same depth as the sprite layer, and the background layers to further distances. For a known target(say, Megaman X, to keep the theme), it's easy to specify which layers go where and how far they should be from each other.

I'd actually like to see an emulator add the option, just for giggles.

But for the NES... a quick and dirty hack won't work. Your playfield is the same layer as the background, so you can't do simple per-layer distance adjustments.

Setting the depth of individual background elements on the game's collision map would be more complex AND generate some funky effects in the process.

First example I can think of where it would fail horribly is the platforms in the Guts Man stage in MM1. The railings they ride on would be in the background, while the platforms themselves would be in the foreground.

I suppose you can hand-tune the depths of every object on the map individually, but... sweet merciful Althena, that's a lot of work for a minimal payout.

So yeah... long story short, I'm curious to see how they handle it.

http://homepage.mac.com/qubedstudios/ Maybe related?

Because no one bought Powered Up

I blame the fact that it's on the PSP.

but EVERYONE bought MM9 and MM10(even some people that don't LIKE Megaman).

I blame stupid 8-bit nostalgia, and the fact that it was readily available for all three consoles.

Has anyone seen this new 3DS trailer? I'm not finding links for it anywhere. Even the snippet on Magicbox just says the trailer exists, but doesn't provide a link or anything.

From Magicbox :

N I N T E N D O 3 D S

- Square Enix's Shinji Hashimoto mentioned that the company is considering Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI remakes for 3DS, earlier in April Square Enix mentioned that these games will not come to DS due to technical difficulties, and it seems they want to wait for 3DS.

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Age 2 Announced!

Trailer 8/17

Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Key Features:

Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.

Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.

Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.

Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.

Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

Hooray!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

It'l be hard to top Desert Strike, but I'm very interested. It has been a long time since a good game of that genre came out.

I have to echo comments about realism vs arcade, when it comes to controls--you do NOT want fully accurate cyclic and collective controls mapped to a controller! But you do want more than just a D-pad, otherwise the unique abilities are lost/pointless.

I don't know about how accurate it will be, but it looks like there will be a "realistic" mode, and a "2-pilot co-op" mode to go along with the staple "arcade" mode.

Only helicopter games I'm familiar with is the Commanche series. I never really played any of the Jane's games.

Also, would like to put out that Alien Swarm is available for free on Steam.

http://kotaku.com/5589233/valve-unleashes-an--alien-swarm-on-steam

Edited by shiroikaze

I spent alot of time on Jane's Longbow 2, and it was a big eye opener how very differently you have to fly a helo. Alot of pilot error induced crashes in that game when I first started! :lol: But I stuck with it and learned to have fun. The last helo game I played was Apache Vs Havoc. That came out in '99 or '00. So it's been a while.

I don't mind if it gets simplified to a degree, but I do want a bit more realistic settings available. Combat helo sims are a much rarer breed than WWII fighter or modern jet sims.

I have to echo comments about realism vs arcade, when it comes to controls--you do NOT want fully accurate cyclic and collective controls mapped to a controller! But you do want more than just a D-pad, otherwise the unique abilities are lost/pointless.

I want that balance of "sim" and "WHEEEEEEE I'M A PILOT!". My fondest "flight sim" memories are of the X-wing/TIE Fighter franchise and the first Crimson Skies.

You just don't see many games like those anymore.

Apparently the ol' PS2 "get a bunch of mecha and characters from every license Banpresto has and jam them into one game" series A.C.E. is making the jump to PS3. I see Alto's VF-25 is one of the playable units.

I've always liked this series, but not $80 worth. I might pick it up when it inevitably makes it's way to the "PlayStation the Best" line.

Apparently the ol' PS2 "get a bunch of mecha and characters from every license Banpresto has and jam them into one game" series A.C.E. is making the jump to PS3. I see Alto's VF-25 is one of the playable units.

I've always liked this series, but not $80 worth. I might pick it up when it inevitably makes it's way to the "PlayStation the Best" line.

only about 3 months too late: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=32843&st=0 ;)

Also, would like to put out that Alien Swarm is available for free on Steam.

http://kotaku.com/55...-swarm-on-steam

I played the original mod and gave up following Infested info a long time ago and I was pleasantly surprised when it was announced for steam. Played through the one campaign a few times now and I have to say it's a lot more approachable now than it was before. Kudos go out to Black Cat again.

A bit late to the game, but finally got a chance to play Mass Effect 2. 10+ hours in, I'm loving it. Although I don't totally like the shift towards "shooter" rather than RPG, the action is pretty intense.

The overemphasis on cover-mechanics makes it a bit too much like Gears of War... but the biotic powers gives it differentiation I guess. Doing my first play through as Infiltrator.

I haven't checked the Games forum since Ultimate Frontier came out. I didn't think A.C.E. would get talked about there, since it's not strictly a Macross game... but not that I think about it, I seem to recall that we discussed the other A.C.E. games there...

I just recently started Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for the umpteenth time. I do have one thing to say about the game, though.

It has one of the best opening cutscenes in any vidogame!!! And that's saying someting about a game for the PS-X.

For those who were fans, the remake/sequel to Hydro Thunder hit XBL today for 1200 points. It's a lot of fun so far, though it may not be quite as awesome as the original. Still I'd recommend it to fans of the old game, especially if you didn't own a copy or your old consoles are packed up somewhere.

Tactics Ogre, the game that helped inspire Final Fantasy Tactics, is coming back on the PSP.

http://kotaku.com/5593647/the-ultimate-version-of-tactics-ogre-coming-to-psp

'>

Tactics Ogre, the game that helped inspire Final Fantasy Tactics, is coming back on the PSP.

'>

The suprising thing is that most of the people who worked on Tactics Ogre went on to work on Final Fantasy Tactics.

Hopefully, I'm just thinking crazy, but to everyone playing Starcraft II these days, remember that there are other games out there to play online. I've been noticing less people to play with on Red Dead Redemption and White Knight Chronicles. Mix it up a little.

Hopefully, I'm just thinking crazy, but to everyone playing Starcraft II these days, remember that there are other games out there to play online. I've been noticing less people to play with on Red Dead Redemption and White Knight Chronicles. Mix it up a little.

Cheer up, I'm not playing Starcraft II.

...then again, I'm not playing RDR or WKC, either. I'm taking advantage of the summer lull to finish games I owned and played, but never completed. Like both Uncharted games.

I bought SCII, it was awesome. Like playing SC all over again, but then it felt like I was playing SC all over again and I remembered why I stopped playing it and RTS games in the first place.

So now I'm playing ME:2