All Things Video Games Thread: II

Messed with the DA:2 demo a bit as well (on xbox) and while I liked it better than the first one in terms of combat (again I played the first on xbox) I felt it was lacking a bit. Granted it's just a demo, but it felt like you just mindlessly smashed A until a cooldown was up then you hit mobs like a freight train before mindless mashing A again. So I found it to be little...joyless, but you only have a small handfull of abilities to play with.

That's basically the impression I walked away with (on the pc version).

I've seen the media reviewing it as basically a improved/streamlined version of the original and no offense to anyone that disagrees but from my experience/opinion this certainly is not the case. The game certainly seems like more of a masher now, not that some management and tactics aren't required still. It also seemed somewhat unresponsive or at the very least lacked some feedback for what was going on.

For reference I was using a Microsoft habu mouse and a merc stealth keyboard.

Mark November 15th. on your calender, boys and girls, because that's the date when The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim is slated to be released. From what I've read, the game engine underwent a serious overhaul.

I have yet to play Bulletstorm so all I have to say about the game is that this is the first time I've heard Steve Blum with a serious case of the potty mouth. But I did watch my brother play the game for a while, and the effects of trying to shoot while shitfaced really cracked me up.

That's basically the impression I walked away with (on the pc version).

I've seen the media reviewing it as basically a improved/streamlined version of the original and no offense to anyone that disagrees but from my experience/opinion this certainly is not the case. The game certainly seems like more of a masher now, not that some management and tactics aren't required still. It also seemed somewhat unresponsive or at the very least lacked some feedback for what was going on.

For reference I was using a Microsoft habu mouse and a merc stealth keyboard.

I gave the demo a second playthrough and enjoyed it more, I noticed some abilities requiring level 99 to get, so I got really excited about the potential to replay the game at harder difficulties with your same character. After snooping through the Bioware forums it looks like you cannot continue the game after the final boss or w/e and there is no carrying your character over through additional playthroughs. This pretty much killed my desire to buy it.

As for Wanzer's post, Skyrim did get a major overhaul. The new engine looks really fantastic, there are a few screenshots and a new trailer with some gameplay that shows it off pretty well.

Bulletstorm is pretty darn fun, but the game starts off pretty slow. There is a heavy amount of cutscenes and you start with only the assault rifle. So you are a bit limited to with what kind of cool stuff you can pull off until you start encountering additional weapons.

Mark November 15th. on your calender, boys and girls, because that's the date when The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim is slated to be released. From what I've read, the game engine underwent a serious overhaul.

I'll be back from deployment by then, so that's nice timing.

I'm expecting the main usuals from Bethesda regarding their TES series: Very light central quest, big open game world to explore and get lost in. They also have a tendency to release pretty buggy games, at least going back to their first game that I played, Daggerfall. Never tried Arena, but I've played and owned every expansion Bethesda has had ever since. Fallout 3 was a surprise to me in that they actually got the rights for it.

And a final nod to Oblivion:

[ ] Go To Jail

[ ] Pay Fine

[X] Resist Arrest

I honestly don't know. To be honest I was hoping so since it seemed indicative of using the same character over multiple playthroughs. Though it seems that may not be the case at all.

Edit: I skimmed the net and read the achievement list, seems like lvl 20 is the highest lvl based on that list. Kind of a bummer.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Looks like I got quite a bit of catchup to do here...

Got DA2 demo yesterday for the PC. It refused to start initially but it's a DX9 issue. Sorted, and crashed.. but been running well since.

Took it through two runs so far, first is Warrior Hawke and today Archer Hawke. I had recently just started DA:O, and to be very honest I prefer the UI in the Demo. Much less clutter, for one.

I can't make a good comparison between the two because DA2's UI made me realised what I've been doing wrong in DA:O (which should say something), but I find I'm managing DA2's battles much better than my initial forays into DA:O. I think I like.

Warrior was a hoot when used right, but the Mage class looks to be very powerful here. I wasn't really micro-ing due to the cooldowns, but generally the characters could take care of themselves. Much better than the initial Stupid that I started off with in DA:O. I didn't really button mash and had better situation awareness even when zoomed all the way in.

I think inevitably parallels would be drawn between ME2:ME1 and DA2:DAO. Justified, IMO, but I think the changes made for a better game. It's clearer to navigate, easier to retain situation awareness, and there's better confidence that the party members won't wank while you are busy micro'ing something else. The new conversation options are much easier to figure out what likely reactions would be, and the added bonus of fully voiced is very nice.

In other games...

Got Bulletstorm. Got to be a record for potty-mouth. After one full session I turned it off in the options. Game got better immediately -- I could concentrate on the shooting better.

I know it's supposed to be a "trick-kill" game, and some of the other weapons are great, but I ended up using Boneduster and Flail gun mostly. Actually, if the Flail gun didn't have such poor ammo capacity, I'll just grenade gag, smart bomb and bombshell my way through the game. Hey, I like seeing Burnouts get gagged and then take out his buddies as they swarm forward. And Leashing Heavy Echos, wrapping a Flail around him, and kicking him back through the doorway to greet his friends never gets old.

So it's probably not quite the right game for me. Decently fun, but I feel some of the weapons are decidedly... washy. The sniper rifle is one big sore point with me, as I just can't get it to work right. Bouncing balls and drill bits didn't cut it with me either, and that cuts out half the arsenal (8 weapons, 3 out plus PMC.. left the pistol, leash, flail and boneduster, of which I claimed two already).

I was quite surprised to see that Jennifer Hale voiced Trishka though.

Looks like I got quite a bit of catchup to do here...

Got DA2 demo yesterday for the PC. It refused to start initially but it's a DX9 issue. Sorted, and crashed.. but been running well since.

Took it through two runs so far, first is Warrior Hawke and today Archer Hawke. I had recently just started DA:O, and to be very honest I prefer the UI in the Demo. Much less clutter, for one.

I can't make a good comparison between the two because DA2's UI made me realised what I've been doing wrong in DA:O (which should say something), but I find I'm managing DA2's battles much better than my initial forays into DA:O. I think I like.

Warrior was a hoot when used right, but the Mage class looks to be very powerful here. I wasn't really micro-ing due to the cooldowns, but generally the characters could take care of themselves. Much better than the initial Stupid that I started off with in DA:O. I didn't really button mash and had better situation awareness even when zoomed all the way in.

It doesn't surprise me that playing as a magic-oriented character is easier in DA2. It's just like back in DA:O. My first character, who I stuck with for quite a while was a Warrior type. Lots of problems in numerous battles being very close and frustrating. I roll a mage, and in combination with several other magic-oriented party members and a meat shield warrior, the game was absolute Easy Mode. In difficulty, the contrast was like night and day.

It doesn't surprise me that playing as a magic-oriented character is easier in DA2. It's just like back in DA:O. My first character, who I stuck with for quite a while was a Warrior type. Lots of problems in numerous battles being very close and frustrating. I roll a mage, and in combination with several other magic-oriented party members and a meat shield warrior, the game was absolute Easy Mode. In difficulty, the contrast was like night and day.

I'm not sure whether it's strictly a Mage issue per se. I'm currently playing an archer in DA:O, and when you get 2 or 3 archers with a meat shield who can tank it does get quite straightforward. I think what the Mage does is to project a LOT of damage over range, such that just one or two mage in the party is already sufficient.

In my archer run in the DA2 demo, the final boss fight was entertaining - Firestorm going off, Fireballs going off, Explosive arrows... lots of boom. :) It was quite amusing to start the fight with all the range explosives going off like 10 feet in front of you and killing all the starting mooks except for the boss and an assassin. The ability to project damage over range looks to be the important deal in DAO/2, it's just that the mage does it best with damage and also other effects (knockdown/ freeze, in the demo).

Just started the Crysis 2 demo today, I was kinda worried that my rig wouldn't handle it, but it does wonderfully. The nanosuit abilities have been streamlined as well, with armor including strength and speed, and stealth by it self. It lets you quick change the abilities with the Q and E keys, making multiplayer a little faster. Can't wait for release.

Just started the Crysis 2 demo today, I was kinda worried that my rig wouldn't handle it, but it does wonderfully. The nanosuit abilities have been streamlined as well, with armor including strength and speed, and stealth by it self. It lets you quick change the abilities with the Q and E keys, making multiplayer a little faster. Can't wait for release.

Haven't tried crisis2 yet. What kind of vid card do you have?

Also bf3 is looking pretty sweet.

Crysis 2 PC minimum reqs:

Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7, with the latest Service Pack

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo at 2Ghz, or AMD Athlon 64 x2 2Ghz, or better

Memory: 2Gb (Vista requires 3Gb)

Hard disk space: 9Gb

Video: NVidia 8800GT with 512Mb RAM, ATI 3850HD with 512Mb RAM, or better

Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card

DirectX®: 9.0c

Controller support? Microsoft Xbox360 Controller for Windows

Any special multiplayer requirements? Internet Connection Required

Internet connection also required for a one-time authorization when the game installed/first run.

PC recommended reqs:

Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7, with the latest Service Pack

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo at 2Ghz, or AMD Athlon 64 x2 2.66Ghz, or better

Memory: 3Gb

Video: Nvidia GTX 280 or AMD Radeon 4870 w/ 1 GB RAM or better

DirectX®: 9.0c

PC HIGHLY recommended reqs:

Operating system: Windows 7, with the latest Service Pack

Processor: Intel Core i7

Memory: 4Gb

Video: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti or AMD Radeon 4870 x2 w/ 1.8 GB RAM or better

DirectX®: 11

That should give you an idea of what you need.

Haven't tried crisis2 yet. What kind of vid card do you have?

Also bf3 is looking pretty sweet.

I've been waiting for DICE to get off their Bad Company rears and actually get back into their real Battlefield lineup. I put alot of time into BF2 & 2142 so I'm anxious for news on BF3. I'd like to see more trailers with vehicle combat since that is half the traditional BF game. What I don't want to see is another Modern Warfare "Me Too" title.

Dragon Age II is out. If you pre-ordered, downloaded the demo, did the other stuff then you basically start the game with a whole host of moderately powerful weapons... powerful enough to completely unbalance the gameplay if you're in Normal mode.

But I'm still having a blast!

Dragon Age II is out. If you pre-ordered, downloaded the demo, did the other stuff then you basically start the game with a whole host of moderately powerful weapons... powerful enough to completely unbalance the gameplay if you're in Normal mode.

But I'm still having a blast!

I preordered at Amazon. So far, they haven't emailed me the preorder codes. In fact, as of 9:30pm EST today, they haven't even shipped it. I'm half-tempted to buy a copy somewhere else, save the receipt, and return the one that Amazon sends... but on the one hand, my wife has me replaying the first one with her, and on the other hand I picked up the new Pokemon.

I preordered at Amazon. So far, they haven't emailed me the preorder codes. In fact, as of 9:30pm EST today, they haven't even shipped it. I'm half-tempted to buy a copy somewhere else, save the receipt, and return the one that Amazon sends... but on the one hand, my wife has me replaying the first one with her, and on the other hand I picked up the new Pokemon.

the pre-order codes come in an insert with the game. The other stuff, like the demo and newsletter goodies are all tied to your bioware/EA account so when you log in to the game they'll be there for you

I preordered mine from Amazon. And:

1. Got pre-order bonus code this morning. Typed it in, waited for game. Note, that's a pre-order bonus code, not the signature edition goodies. Works at bioware's website, not Live.

2. Game showed up around 3PM. Later I downloaded some DLC, typed in more codes on Live, downloaded more DLC. (mostly "bought game when new" goodies)

3. Went back online with PC, typed in more codes on other side of insert sheet. Went back online with 360, downloaded more goodies. (signature edition stuff)

4. Finished up DA: Awakenings this evening and replayed last half-hour for another achievement.

NOW I'm ready to start DA2 but it's too late to really do much. :) Yes, if you pre-ordered a signature edition, you'll be typing in and downloading a lot. Half the stuff is activated at Bioware.com, half actually on Xbox Live.

Heh. I have yet to pick up my Signature Edition -- tonight. But even then, I won't be installing so early.. still need to finish DAO, long way to go.

Got the demo codes from EA a few days ago. Need to log into Bioware to update my registered codes though.

I preordered mine from Amazon. And:

1. Got pre-order bonus code this morning. Typed it in, waited for game. Note, that's a pre-order bonus code, not the signature edition goodies. Works at bioware's website, not Live.

2. Game showed up around 3PM. Later I downloaded some DLC, typed in more codes on Live, downloaded more DLC. (mostly "bought game when new" goodies)

3. Went back online with PC, typed in more codes on other side of insert sheet. Went back online with 360, downloaded more goodies. (signature edition stuff)

4. Finished up DA: Awakenings this evening and replayed last half-hour for another achievement.

NOW I'm ready to start DA2 but it's too late to really do much. :) Yes, if you pre-ordered a signature edition, you'll be typing in and downloading a lot. Half the stuff is activated at Bioware.com, half actually on Xbox Live.

?

I got the prince, the fade sword, the shield and the black emporium all in package, the only code I had to put in was for the staff and that was for signing up for the newsletter.

Not me. I distinctly got just the Black Emporium from the first code, fiddled around for a few minutes trying to get the Prince, then stupidly realized there was a back side to the sheet, then entered in another code---and got the prince. And there was a 3rd code for Bioware's site on the bottom of the sheet, that gave me the signature stuff. The Fade Shear was acquired this morning from the Amazon code.

I didn't have to enter a code for the staff, it showed up weeks ago on my Bioware account.

I got an email this morning with my preorder code... so there's that. As of 9:45am EST, though, my order is still listed as "Shipping Soon."

I'll probably replay the demo and sign up for the newsletter to get ready, play some more of the first one with my wife when she gets home, and play Pokemon.

I started with Tepig.

Slow to the party. Finished the game campaign mode. Overall its a good game but I feel that DS 1 was a way better game. DS 2 had potential to supercede DS 1 leaps and bounds but unfortunately it was the "same old" stuff.

My qualms:

1.) the new and more unique necromorphs were not really used in the game. You only see them once/twice in the whole game.

2.) Story was not as epic as the 1s one, especially the "final boss". DS 1 had u battle a giant necromorph ending with u destroying the whole planet. This? Kinda meh.

3.) Transition between chapters felt abit cheap/tacked on. You get some cinematics on how you get from one part of Titan station to another but you don't really get a feel on where you're going or what you're doing. And frankly i don't feel like i'm in a giant space station. I feel like i'm on a planet cracker again.

4.) The Ishimura. While its cool that they put one chapter in it....I feel its pretty cheap since its reusing the same level design from the 1s game and you have to do that whole gravity centrifuge puzzle all over again. =.=;;

5.) There has always been a tentacle monster or something that chases u and pulls you in some cut scenes but in the end you never really encounter it or kill it. It just keeps pulling you out into space, where you have an interactive cut scene and u get shoved into another part of the station. In DS1 you eventually meet it and kill it, even shooting it in minigame with the ship's turrets.

I know i got alot of complaints but generally i like the game. I'm just abit disappointed that it didn't improve on DS1.

Playing DA 2. It's almost as if the side-quests ARE the main quests. (as in, the main quests are more of a "goal" with many side-quests that can be done in any order leading up to achieving that goal).

Anyways---anyone figure out the "equipment icon color" thing? Most DLC has green icons and is of high quality, but I also have non-DLC green ones---and sometimes they're worse than my non-DLC equipment. Most stuff is white or red, but I have 2 weapons that have gold icons.

I thought you guys might be interested in this, it's an indie title by the way.

http://ca.kotaku.com/5780445/the-megacities-of-the-future-are-where-giant-mechs-shoot-each-other

It's very cool looking, although it looks more like a tech demo than any sort of playable game at this point.

Developped by Hi-Rez Studio (developper of Global Agenda), who now possesses the Tribes license, Tribes: Ascend differs from the recently announced MMOFPS Tribes Universe as it is described like Tribes and Tribes 2: it's a multiplayer FPS developped on the Unreal Engine 3 and planned for the end of this year on PC and XBLA.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you more as the official site is still empty, except for the trailer below which shows something like nothing...

Heads up guys. Free DLC, courtesy of Sony and Schick.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2766269

http://edgeshave.com/default.aspx#!/ps3Giveaway/register

Sony and razor company Schick have teamed up to give free DLC when you purchase any of their products, but all you have to do is enter a universal UPC and you get free DLC from the following choices:

Killzone 3 Retro Map Pack

Killzone 3 Extra Unlock Points

Gran Turismo 5 Exclusive Camaro SS Edge Edition

Infamous 2 Sniper Blast Ability (for when the game releases in June)

All you have to do is go to this site:

http://edgeshave.com/default.aspx#!/ps3Giveaway/register

Enter info(fake if you want), enter one of the following UPC's

Choose which DLC you want( just refresh to get them all), enter all fields and the DLC Code will pop up.

Just for kicks, here's a code for the Retro Map Pack: LT4F-EENP-BEPQ

Credits go to http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=139003 and http://forums.redflagdeals.com/free-dlc-kz3-gt5-infamous-2-a-1017144/

Enjoy!!!

Unfortunately, it's for US residents only it seems.

Edited by shiroikaze

7-11 has Killzone 3 and Little Big Planet 2 promotions on their site, but it's been going on since the beginning of February so I don't know how long it will last.

http://www.slurpee.com/rewards/ViewItemType.aspx?sItemType=Products&sCategory=All

'>

http://www.slurpee.com/rewards/ViewItemType.aspx?sItemType=Products&sCategory=All

Basically, you buy Slurpee drinks, enter the codes on the site for points and then redeem them for stuff and DLC. Right now there's map packs and DLC for Killzone 3 and Playstation Home there. I'm more interested with the Sack Boy plushie and bookends.