All Things Video Games Thread: II

Any chance there will be 90 minute cutscenes (MGS4 reference here) in the game?

I sure hope so! I'm tired of 10 hours game now-a-days, I need a bonus movie to come with it...it will give me more bang for my buck with this recession and stuff :-P

Edited by Gunbuster

Sounds like someone needs to play Xenosaga, all three of them, to understand the horrors of long cutscenes.

Do you want....ZA POWA?! (I know that's Xenogears, but I get to reference Grahf so infrequently I couldn't resist).

Do you want....ZA POWA?! (I know that's Xenogears, but I get to reference Grahf so infrequently I couldn't resist).

Oh how I miss the endless dialogue boxes! For shame on the days before voice overs were SOP (even if the English dialogue version usually sounded like it was recorded in a bathroom).

I sure hope so! I'm tired of 10 hours game now-a-days, I need a bonus movie to come with it...it will give me more bang for my buck with this recession and stuff :-P

Do companies still do that kind of stuff? I remember long ago that DVD movies with all the cutscenes came out for games like Metal Gear Sold: Subsistence and Xenosaga I as preorder bonuses.

Edited by Einherjar

Do companies still do that kind of stuff? I remember long ago that DVD movies with all the cutscenes came out for games like Metal Gear Sold: Subsistence and Xenosaga I as preorder bonuses.

Hmm nowadays, seems like certain companies want to charge you for those things :p.

Bioshock Infinites looks pretty awesome, I may have to pre-order that one and maybe pick up the original Bioshock. Right now I'm waiting for Vanquish and Enslaved:Odyssey to the West. I was sold on Enslaved when I found out it is based on the Chinese folktale Journey to the West. Civilization 5 is on it's way in the mail.

Nintendo 3DS available February 26 in Japan, priced at 25,000 yen,

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/29/nintendo-3ds-february-26-japan/

3DS has a Game Boy/GBA Virtual Console,

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/29/3ds-has-a-game-boy-gba-virtual-console/

Footage of Nintendo's 3DS lineups,

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/29/footage-of-nintendos-3ds-ds-and-wii-lineupss/

Edited by Black Valkyrie

Here's hoping for Wolverine Medicine Ball (basically a Hulk and Wolverine tag-team maneuver).

It's called The Fastball Special, made famous by Wolvie and Colassus, not the Hulk since him and Woverine tend to go at each others throat most times they meet up.

Well, I just recently got Civ 5 and ARMAII:Combined Operations. My freetime is officially kaput.

Civ5 feels pretty different from past versions but still has the "1 more turn addiction" of a good turn-based game. ARMAII is a refreshing change of pace and much more massive scope as far as FPS games go. Has a learning curve to it for proficiency, which I do like.

Well, I just recently got Civ 5 and ARMAII:Combined Operations. My freetime is officially kaput.

Civ5 feels pretty different from past versions but still has the "1 more turn addiction" of a good turn-based game. ARMAII is a refreshing change of pace and much more massive scope as far as FPS games go. Has a learning curve to it for proficiency, which I do like.

Civ 5 is a weird animal. Mind you, it's my first experience with a Civilization game, but I wanted to give it a try. So I'm playing it, and I'm thinking to myself that the game isn't really very entertaining or engaging... only to find that I'd been playing for four hours, without so much as a pee break. I wind up finishing that game, and I say to myself that I'm not going to play it again. The next day, I set up a new game with more AI opponents and city states. A game I wind up playing four three days (this time, I did take breaks).

Long story short, I'm not sure if I think it's worth $50, but I'd say it'd be a must-buy if it goes on sale for $30.

This is a bit old, but I thought it might be interesting to share.

Ken Penders Claims Sonic The Hedgehog Rights

I'm guessing if this claim holds, this comic book writer expects to get paid extra from his old comic book employer, maybe Bioware, and even Sega for continuing to use material he created.

By the way, did anyone here play Sonic Chronicles? Is it really worth this guy getting legal on everyone?

Edited by Einherjar

I'd be surprised if he didn't miss a clause in his contract stating that anything he did while working on a Sega character property didn't automatically revert to Sega's ownership since the original intellectual property was their's. Or in other words, nice try dude.

Edited by Keith

I'd be surprised if he didn't miss a clause in his contract stating that anything he did while working on a Sega character property didn't automatically rever to Sega's ownership since the original intellectual property was there's. Or in other words, nice try dude.

Yeah, it's pathetic. Almost like he thinks he's as important as Yuji Naka when it comes to Sonic or something.

I think it's important to note that this guy was fired over creative differences for said material years ago. Classy comeback...

Edited by Einherjar

Yeah, it's pathetic. Almost like he thinks he's as important as Yuji Naka when it comes to Sonic or something.

I think it's important to note that this guy was fired over creative differences for said material years ago. Classy comeback...

Mayhaps he's just a robotech fan with who thinks that he can also try to hijack a Japanese franchise by exploiting the ignorance of the people who issue U.S. copyrights.

This is a bit old, but I thought it might be interesting to share.

Ken Penders Claims Sonic The Hedgehog Rights

I'm guessing if this claim holds, this comic book writer expects to get paid extra from his old comic book employer, maybe Bioware, and even Sega for continuing to use material he created.

Traditionally, comic book writers/artists are employeed on a work-for-hire basis, meaning anything that they create is automatically owned by the publisher. Naturally, some of the more acclaimed writers/artists, such as Neil Gaiman and Jim Lee, carry enough clout so that they can demand contracts that give them joint or complete ownership over anything that they create. But the last I checked (and it's been a while), this was the exception in the comic book industry and not the norm.

I don't believe Ken Penders is a famous writer, so it seems odd that Archie Comics would award him complete ownership over his stories and characters. It's possible that Archie Comics unknowingly offered Penders a contract that gave him complete ownership, but the contract would have to explicitly state just that. The Second Circuit (which would have jurisdiction over this matter) has held that, in the absense of an explicitly designated owner, the copyright is awarded to whoever had the ultimate decision making authority over the work. In this case, I'm pretty certain Archie Comics would have the final say over what hit the printing press, not Penders.

As for Penders copyright registration certificate, Bleeding Cool is on the money when they say that US Copyright Office doesn't perform an exhaustive background check on copyright applications. Copyright registration certificates are issued on the honor code; if a dispute arises, then it's up to the US courts to determine who actually owns the copyright.

I don't believe Sega has anything to worry about. And Penders should go to another lawyer for a second opinion.

James Bond purists, prepare to go into orbit.

It seems that the new GoldenEye game for the Wii will not have Pierce Brosnan in it. It seems that the jag-offs over at the company that are devolping the game are going to use Daniel Craig's instead. I learned this little tidbit on the 1:00 a.m. rebroadcast of last night's X-Play.

In my opinion PIERCE BROSNAN IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE THE FACE OF GOLDENEYE!!!

Meh, there's only ONE Goldeneye game anyway and that is the one on the 64, all the other ones fail by comparison. Also I like Craig as Bond so it doesn't bother me that much either, I am looking forward to Blood Stone.

Edited by kanedaestes