Macross Reboot

Ghost Train

The true sight that Kawamori has lost it that he teams up With Carl Macek. Allowing Macek to have full control over the series "... grabbing the bull by horns" as Macek says in an interview.

During production Macek is "elected" president of the United States with Frank Agrama as the head of the treasury

The resulting series is so mediocre that Japan declares war upon the United States. Japan wins the war due there technological superiority ie the "Gundam "statues". That and the United States army being poorly funded because of Agrama's proposal to give to "various charities".

After the war it is discovered that Kawamori had been brain washed into allowing such actions take place. Feeling as he has betrayed the world he writes many stories including the final moments of Megaroad-01, solving all love triangles within the Macross universe itself.

As the world embraces macross for all that it is peace sets in and the world becomes united.

In the word of future world peace idols Bill S. Preston Esquire and Ted Theodore Logan... excellent!!

The true sight that Kawamori has lost it that he teams up With Carl Macek. Allowing Macek to have full control over the series "... grabbing the bull by horns" as Macek says in an interview.

During production Macek is "elected" president of the United States with Frank Agrama as the head of the treasury

Just make sure that Tommy Yune becomes Head of FEMA so all americans feel just a little bit safer. :D

Well, when I suggested that the pachinko people reanimate the series, it's not really a redesign. All the designs would still be 1982 so nothing is really modern....maybe sleek, but not really modern. It's not like the VF-1 will be redesigned/rebooted and look more like a VF-25. If the VF-1 still looks like a VF-1 (like in Macross Fever), Hikaru still basically looks like Hikaru, the voices and dialogue from 1982 would be fine.

I think most fans can still sit through the entire original series and still enjoy it (IE Animeigo DVD set), but it would be nice to see the animation redone. It's a butt-load of work to "clean it up" but keep it looking original. Sorta like one step beyond "remastering", like what Lucas did with the CG X-wings for Star Wars ANH, just don't take it too far and mess with it too much.

• 4 weeks later...
Just make sure that Tommy Yune becomes Head of FEMA so all americans feel just a little bit safer. :D

Could you imagine that?

Press: We'd like to know how FEMA is handling the situation in Texas. In past efforts fema was integral to helping people. How soon do you expect FEMA begin relief efforts?

Yune: Yes. *Then proceed to go into power-point presentation.*

Reboot Macross 7, but make it more like Beck Mongolian Chop Squad or Detroit Metal city.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Could you imagine that?

Press: We'd like to know how FEMA is handling the situation in Texas. In past efforts fema was integral to helping people. How soon do you expect FEMA begin relief efforts?

Yune: Yes. *Then proceed to go into power-point presentation.*

Reboot Macross 7, but make it more like Beck Mongolian Chop Squad or Detroit Metal city.

Yes, Reboot Mac 7, reduce it by half in episode count with scary looking PD, not the Hanna Barbara types we already saw.

Then we'll get a tight compelling story, not a 49 episode J-Pop commercial.

Edited by Zinjo

• 2 weeks later...
How about make Protoculture a plant that is also a fuel source?

Graham

Noooooo! :blink: No Robotech references in Macross. Say it ain't so Graham please say you didn't mean to post that!!!! :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
Scenario: it is 2013. Humanity miraculously survived the 2012 Mayan Zombie Alien Nibiru Invasion Apocalypse, . . Astro Plan has won an academy award for best foreign animated film. We are still waiting for HL2 episode 3.... but Shoji Kawamori has gone further into the deep end, Macross will be rebooted.

If it happened, what would you like to see differently? Stay the same? Which characters would you keep, modify, or just eliminate completely like poor Nanase.

No reboot is necessary. Hollywood is already in the bad habit of that, lacking the creativity to come up with anything new and original.

Macross is now pretty much an "alternate reality" kind of deal. There is no need to re-write it to make the early years of the story fit in with real-world history or events.

Edited by SpacyAce2012

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think we should reboot TNG before we get a Macross reboot...

or we should finally get Battletech (a properly never realized outside of 13 episodes of highly forgetable semi-cannon material, as far as TV or cable is concerned) before Macross.

IF, the Gods help me, IF they finally get past the legal battles amoungst themselves in Japan, get over the steel nails and glass hurtles that Disharmony Mold still places over the propery, only then will people in all corners of the world (well, maybe not in aphyganville, those arsewhipes...) will get to partake in Deculturing.

that, would be teh cool if or when that happens.

but you gotta finish the japanesse legal fights and finally get HG to support the endevior, not hamper or even prevent it but anything happens.... everything else is pointless fan whapping...

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be up for a reboot.

I think if they did, i think they should bump the whole timeline. Have the U.N. and Anti-coalition forces go to war in 2013, with the SDF-1 crash landing in 2019. Update the anime to modern standards, and expand on some of the story line and the battles and the tech, having it run 2-3 seasons or something. Make it a bit darker like Battlestar Galactica 2.0 (I know that was mentioned), but still keep the space opera feel.

A must would be to settle this stupid legal dispute, it really doesn't make sense as we have a couple OVA's in the US that technically contradict HG's vision (Mplus and II).

A must would be to settle this stupid legal dispute, it really doesn't make sense as we have a couple OVA's in the US that technically contradict HG's vision (Mplus and II).

What legal dispute? Any disputes have been resolved for the past 5 years (And yes, we have a thread for the "legal dispute").

I'd be up for a reboot.

I think if they did, i think they should bump the whole timeline. Have the U.N. and Anti-coalition forces go to war in 2013, with the SDF-1 crash landing in 2019. Update the anime to modern standards, and expand on some of the story line and the battles and the tech, having it run 2-3 seasons or something. Make it a bit darker like Battlestar Galactica 2.0 (I know that was mentioned), but still keep the space opera feel.

I think moving the time frame forward would be a nice move if it does happen. There's a lot of red meat with real current events that can be nicely interwoven into a rebooted timeline.

It's actually funny that so much of sci-fi technology dealing with the early 21st century so didn't pan out as expected :p .

Edited by Ghost Train

The idea of moving the frame forward wouldnt work for Macross. Starting with the fact that the VF-1 was kinda like a successor to the F-14 and the timeline is set across the board if you think about the sequels. I think that's why they didn't do it for The First comic book.

If they're going to reboot SDFM, my suggestion is to split it into two seasons. The first season would cover from episode 1 up to Dolza's defeat. And season 2 would cover episode 28 to 36 and ends with the departure of the Megaroad 01. I would like to see season 2 as a 20+ episodes that delves more into the characters after SW1 like Hikaru and Misa's shaky relationship. And of course, the Zentradi rebellion. And maybe some Destroid action.

The idea of moving the frame forward wouldnt work for Macross. Starting with the fact that the VF-1 was kinda like a successor to the F-14 and the timeline is set across the board if you think about the sequels. I think that's why they didn't do it for The First comic book.

If there ever is a reboot, (praying to God that there won't be...ever), do you really think the new VF-1 would look anything like the old VF-1? I assume they would completely revamp it. And not just in the way they modernized the look of the VF-1 to make the VF-0...I mean a completely new looking fighter based on modern day and next generation design aesthetics.

A rebooted VF-1 would probably look more like something out of Yukikaze than the VF-1 designed back in the 80s.

If there ever is a reboot, (praying to God that there won't be...ever), do you really think the new VF-1 would look anything like the old VF-1?

There was a reboot - of the VF-1, that is, before Macross Zero. It may have only been for an unofficial magazine column. Nonetheless, a "rebooted" VF-1 it be.

It's the SW-XA1 Schneeblume

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/vfexperiment/sw-xa1.htm

What legal dispute? Any disputes have been resolved for the past 5 years (And yes, we have a thread for the "legal dispute").

I mean fix it so that we can have it in English and sold in North America without Disharmony screwing with it... I for one don't mind subs, but my boy can't follow them.

Yes, I know that there is a thread on it, my point isn't about discussing that BS, only wishing that in a Reboot, that it'd go away so we can have it where I live without any BS...

Edited by Netherek

I disagree here, aesthetics aside, if you look at the basic structure of the VF-1 fighter it is clearly based on the F-14, but because of the arms, has a solid body like the F-22. One could even say that and the time mecha technology is so new that the F-14 wing design makes for a logical start with. It really doesn't matter what time they come out.

For a reboot VF-1 I'd keep the basic design, though incorporate some F-22 design aesthetics to keep up with the times, i.e. stealthy and such. JMTC.

I support reboot .... with Macross the First reanimated - classic SDFM storyline with DYRL aesthetics.

Eh... while I would be interested in seeing a new animated Macross series based on Macross: the First, or at least its design aesthetic (which appears to be a merger of Mikimoto's earlier work on Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Macross: Do You Remember Love?, and the Macross 2036), I'd rather it wasn't a reboot. If they absolutely HAVE to treat it as the start of something entirely new for Macross, I would rather they used it as the basis of a new alternate universe, in much the same way Gundam has done over the years.

It's not like having the show set partly (or fully) in the past is going to hurt the integrity of the narrative. Obviously the fact that the events depicted in Macross: the First are set in what is, from our perspective, last year hasn't hurt the book any. Likewise, having major plot-critical events occur in the past (from a modern-day perspective) hasn't hurt Star Trek. Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan is every bit enjoyable after 1993 as it was before, despite the fact that we didn't have world war against an army of genetically engineered supermen that year.

Of course, we can always cheat like Kawamori did and view the whole thing as fictionalized versions of real events within the universe, in which case any contradictions or conflicts or any issues springing from having an oddly anachronistic future are all gravy since it's all down to dramatic license on the part of that future TV show's creators. :rolleyes:

Edited by Seto Kaiba

There was a reboot - of the VF-1, that is, before Macross Zero. It may have only been for an unofficial magazine column. Nonetheless, a "rebooted" VF-1 it be.

You're right but the Schneeblume is not just a VF-1 reboot but part of the 2030's / 2040's Experimental Variable Fighter Program (according to Kawamori it's not part of the official series chronology for now). I mean it's not contemporary to the VF-1. This design could have been used as testbed for the VF-1 in Macross Zero but it was intended as an advanced fighter contemporary to the VF-17.

Quoted form the Macross Compendium:

"The United Nations Forces presented to every manufacturer the required specifications for SWX (Stealth Wing X), a programme to combine high stealthiness with air combat capabilities exceeding that of the VF-17. The United Nations Forces intended to assign the VF-17 the primary mission of long-range attacks, which would entail the need for a separate variable fighter for air superiority and defense.

The SV-XA1 was created as an experimental plane for these required specifications. The VF-1 Valkyrie was chosen as the basis for the SW-XA1 due to the abundance of combat data during actual warfare. This base design was improved to current standards by equipping it with upgraded engines and avionics."

Better late than never... :rolleyes:

I totally agree with Sketchley.

The SW-XA1 was Kawamori's kick at a VF-1 redesign in 2002 anyway... ;) It may have been prompted by his pre-production work on Macross Zero.

The "official story" on the SW-XA1 is a way to shoe horn the designs into the Macross universe after the fact.

Several designs from the unproduced "Air Cavalry Chronicles (1990)" made their way into Macross mecha cannon. The A9B Invader was redesigned into the VA-3M Invader for VF-X2, the Fz-109A ErgaZorn and Fz-109F PanzerZorn became the Fz-109A & F Elgerzorene for Macross 7, the Fz-109G SturmZorn became the VF-14 Vampire for the Macross M3 game. I suspect the Fz-109Q ValutaZorn is what inspired him to create the first VB-6 König Monster for the VF-X2 video game. Kawamori recycles all of his designs... B))

Neither the SW-XA1 Schneeblume or SW-XAII Schneegans have yet to be featured in either a game or production, therefore their ultimate uses and placement in the mecha canon of Macross can easily change. We all should know that by now... :p

As for changing the crash date that would be a Robowreck way to deal with the issue. The entertainment industry has be creating alternative histories for years, why should Macross be any different?

Besides, in order to keep Macross Zero correct, the crash year has to be 1999. The last flight of an F-14 was 2006. So it's not a huge stretch to believe that a couple of F-14 squadrons were kept in active service by 2008 (M0 year).... Especially if the casualty rate hinted at in Zero is any indication of how fast hardware is being used up.

Edited by Zinjo

Chipping in here,

Galactica, the original series took a horrible race threatening event and made it into a fun campy sitcom. Galactica reinvisioned was dark, a lot more realistic, and a lot more representative of a race on the edge of extinction.

Personally I think Galactica is a really bad precedent for "remakes" to follow, mostly because it succeeded in offending the entire fan base of the original. While all of the TOS fans acknowledge the show had its bad and campy moments, Moore threw out the baby with the bathwater and ended up with something that used only the names and none of what fans actually liked beyond the cheese. I felt the resulting angst-ridden navel-gazing depress-fest lacked the imagination of the original premise, using the show instead as some convoluted commentary on contemporary politics with a sci-fi setting. Some would argue the old show deserves the remake for how 'cheesy' it was, but I think it's akin to dismissing Macross TV entirely as utter crap because it has "terrible animation" and dated dialogue. There's something beyond the surface of the show that make fans like it, and Moore missed it entirely in his remake. After all, fans don't love macross because of its animation gaffs do they?

IF there is going to be a remake/reboot, I'd rather it be in the style of the Rebuild of Evangelion . Subtle changes at first, but then let the story wander elsewhere while keeping to the same themes. Maybe Roy doesn't die when he's supposed to. Maybe the Zentreadi culture conflicts start sooner. Maybe Kamijun goes rouge some other time, or actually plays a bigger part in the battle over Earth. Maybe the order is rearranged, or maybe something new happens at the end.

Rather than a 'remake everything', remake parts of it. Trim here, but add there. Maybe put in another character to tip the balance of what's going on in the background (Since the Love Triangle MUST NOT be tampered with). Change the order of events. Let a character live. Kill off someone who lives the first time. All the while you still get new animation and perhaps re-interpretations of events to take advantage of new technology available.

And if you're celebrating all of Macross, maybe it can be something that ties together all the series made so far. *shrug*

Edited by Boxer

Personally I think Galactica is a really bad precedent for "remakes" to follow, mostly because it succeeded in offending the entire fan base of the original.

It managed to "offend" a very vocal minority, I never personally met anyone who preferred the old show to the new one though. It also managed to keep very good public opinion for 4 years, where the original was pretty much a joke after just one year. And we can all ignore that 1980 stuff...

That said, a remake of Macross would go very wrong if it strayed the way BSG did, all SDFM would need is a new coat of paint (ALA The First), the basic story and the characters for Macross holds up very well today - the only thing that does not is the "lurch" in the story caused by the ordering of more episodes and the terrible animation at some points.

Brings up a question, is "The First" supposed to be based on Minmei's (Minmay?) recollection of the events? If so that easily explains any differences between it and SDFM (like Hikaru giving Misa flowers when he first meets here? - did I read that in an earlier post?)

The A9B Invader was redesigned into the VA-3M Invader for VF-X2,

That would be the VA-3A, VA-3B and EVA-3 first, in "TiAS:M+", followed by the VA-3C in "M7 Dynamite", followed by the VA-3M in VF-X2.

Nevertheless, it's good that the VA-3M is used by the Galaxy Fleet in 2059!

IF there is going to be a remake/reboot, I'd rather it be in the style of the Rebuild of Evangelion . Subtle changes at first, but then let the story wander elsewhere while keeping to the same themes.

If I'm not mistaken, the Macross F movies are doing that. Not to mention that DYRL did that as well...

Brings up a question, is "The First" supposed to be based on Minmei's (Minmay?) recollection of the events? If so that easily explains any differences between it and SDFM (like Hikaru giving Misa flowers when he first meets here? - did I read that in an earlier post?)

It's following Hikaru's point of view.

It managed to "offend" a very vocal minority, I never personally met anyone who preferred the old show to the new one though. It also managed to keep very good public opinion for 4 years, where the original was pretty much a joke after just one year. And we can all ignore that 1980 stuff...

I would go further and say that a remake in the vein of ReBSG would do much more good for Macross than just recreating the original story with new designs. Thats why ReBSG did so well, it opposed the campy 70's era of bell bottoms and tight pants by being substantive about the fact that the human species was on the edge of extinction. No line dancing, no casino planets or whatever.

Take out all the cheesy and nonsensical stuff, and make the story focus on the terror of having ones existence in the universe removed by force.