Macross Reboot

Ghost Train

I just have a simple question for you guys: Why even speculate on a reboot, when absolutely nothing...not one iota of evidence is out there supporting the idea that Kawamori is thinking of doing a reboot? So why even discuss it? I'm not trying to be negative or pessimistic with you, I'm just wondering why you all would waste time discussing something that for all we know has no chance of getting made? I would love for it to happen too, believe me...but this is the same thing as discussing what a Star Wars reboot would be like.

What's wrong with discussing it? It's a discussion forum. And discussions are sometimes a form of entertainment. I remember when people used to discuss in the toy forum that Yamato should do a second type of 1/60 toy, built like a 1/48 and other people thought they were crazy. Why would Yamato do that?

And who knew they were going to do a comic book like Macross the First. Isn't a release of an official updated story a good enough reason to open up discussion?

So you think a Star Wars reboot an impossibility? Heresy maybe... (like the sub-title to this thread) but impossible... I wouldn't say it's impossible. Open up a little and if you can't stand the thought, close the thread and don't think about it.

(...) and make the story focus on the terror of having ones existence in the universe removed by force.

Isn't that what the end of SDFM is all about? (Both the planned ending, and the encoure episodes)

But this is the same thing as discussing what a Star Wars reboot would be like.

TBH, SW doesn't need a reboot - simply because EVERY single release of the movies has been "improved upon" by the direct. (As a creative type myself, I understand why Mr. Lucas does the constant fiddling, but there are some choices that I felt have been detremental. Ie: Boba Fett to the (restored?) Jabba the Hutt scene in Eps 4, and the Eps 2 & 3 Anakin replacing the original actor in Eps 6).

Anyhow, expanding on my point: one could even consider Eps 1-3 as a reboot, as they cast Eps 4-6 in a new light.

I just have a simple question for you guys: Why even speculate on a reboot, when absolutely nothing...not one iota of evidence is out there supporting the idea that Kawamori is thinking of doing a reboot? So why even discuss it? I'm not trying to be negative or pessimistic with you, I'm just wondering why you all would waste time discussing something that for all we know has no chance of getting made? I would love for it to happen too, believe me...but this is the same thing as discussing what a Star Wars reboot would be like.

As already stated, Macross First is the latest reboot of SDFM. I prefer it over the original anime myself.

The story is more sophisticated than the show (which isn't easy!) and fleshes out the characters better. Though Minmay's pet is a character that Mikimoto could loose... :rolleyes:

As already stated, Macross First is the latest reboot of SDFM. I prefer it over the original anime myself.

The story is more sophisticated than the show (which isn't easy!) and fleshes out the characters better. Though Minmay's pet is a character that Mikimoto could loose... :rolleyes:

We've seen the pet in like two panels over the last three volumes (minus flashbacks, of course). Be happy. ;)

But yeah, I am really liking Macross the First and something along the lines of an animated version of that is exactly what I would want for a rebooted Macross TV show.

Huh? Do we have any art samples of this Macross First?

You might want to try this thread for samples of art from the new-ish manga Macross: the First.

Yeah I haven't heard of it either. How come I don't see any DVDs or BluRays of it at Amazon Japan? Or is it only in theaters at the moment?

Part of the reason you're not finding it is probably that you're looking under the wrong title... its proper name is Macross: the First, and the reason you won't find any DVDs or Blu-Ray releases of it is because it's not animated, it's a manga series running in Macross Ace magazine.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't change much, the original is priceless as it is, but...looking at macross the first, well it looks good, more in todays age and well why not.

Still I wouldn't change that much, more interesting would be to blend other parts of the story, like DYRL and flashback and perhaps even a bit of the exploration fleets or a continuos of the story of the original characters.

So far macross the first brigs back great memories.

Edited by falks

Scenario: it is 2013. Humanity miraculously survived the 2012 Mayan Zombie Alien Nibiru Invasion Apocalypse, . . Astro Plan has won an academy award for best foreign animated film. We are still waiting for HL2 episode 3.... but Shoji Kawamori has gone further into the deep end, Macross will be rebooted.

If it happened, what would you like to see differently? Stay the same? Which characters would you keep, modify, or just eliminate completely like poor Nanase.

Here's what I'd do (mostly concerns mecha):

-make all the destroids have two modes. One for going up ramps and slopes where they are close to the ground, so they don't fall over, and one for anti-giant fighting. The Octos from mac zero was an awesome idea. Variable monster was cool. Now make a mode for the ground defense robots that can't fly around. Eureka 7 style of destroid is the future of Main Battle Robot imo.

And please put some new edition of the variable glaug in a tv show. Pretty please? Just explain that the zentradi were smart enough to think for themselves but their resources were heavily restricted so they needed to steal from others to break free from their mind control. (like some awakened zentradi who had their own scientists reverse engineer the tech they capture and this includes humans technology which itself was stolen off the Protoculture)

-valkyries that take control of the robot after a pilot is dead and sense its health. In SDF macross we had zentradi ships with brains actually inside the ship as if the ship itself was alive and part of the guy's own body. This gave the aliens a bio-robotic feel to them that I miss. (as you can see I'm a fan of gradius and R-Type lol)

-the theme of lost memories is part of the culture shock. Think of it this way: the zentradi were victims as much as the humans and other peaceful aliens they killed. Make the emphasis less about music making people feel good and more about preserving history and keeping memory of a person's past. By erasing history and destroying culture it lets those who want to control people, have more power. Music can be used to awaken people from a sleep and strengthen their will to fight. This can be the male side of music when people call upon music for defense. The music is used by protodevlin for evil.

You'll note that the way it was done in macross 7 was to pacify the protodevlin. Why don't they reverse this and just have it so that the protodevlin created the music and use it to instill evil values in humans to make them fight amongst themselves? This could be the female side to the music where people were brainwashed into helping bad guys agendas. It is mostly used to turn people against their existing values. (the lyrics make out that the alien demons are the good guys out to protect you but their true intention is use each culture to kill each other off in wars - yes I know that is straight out of the prequel trilogy star wars movie but I like it)

Now don't let the Protodevil interact with humans at all, but just be spiritual demons which are sought to for advice and who become the various religious leaders of the hostile alien races around the galaxy. The 'god of forces' is what caused the PC to collapse and it was because they were easily-manipulated by the Protodevil. The PD fed into their need to compete amongst thmselves in order to control everything and expand forever. As the competition gets harder, the weakest races die out, and over time that resulted in giants and obsession with death. People call upon powerful beings for better information on how to make better weapons and that resulted in the various wars? (the arms race got out of control)

And then you have the commercial side to music where it is used as entertainment and art, not as a ceremonial thing to please the demons. This is what neutral parties in the macross universe use to enrich their culture. It's the 'creative force' that humans have which allows them to adapt to many situations and win wars by taking what already exists (the positive) and using it for good (saving lives) rather than destruction (negatives) or to dominate other peaceful aliens who have a right to exist.

All the races who are neutral (humans) don't really give a crap about what happens to the weaker alien races who are being attacked by space wars caused by competing hostile races, but this all changes when alien terrorists (whose friends are all forced to live under the horrible condition of another hostile race which has destroyed their home planets) use earth as their base to fight from with the co-operation of humans in high positions of power. The deal is the government gets to access their weapons, and the alien terrorist organisation gets to use earth to supply them with people to help fight the hostile races that took the terrorists planets and either captured them or using them to build their armies up. You would have people from the same race deciding that they should be loyal to their own culture or to accept another alien race's culture and the show would have people of the same race fighting amongst themselves over which culture is better.

This is what macross tv series would be like: each character has their own motivations for why they fight. Some of them are left wing and want to protect nature (all they give a crap about is earth, and keeping the peace with all races by pretending to be their friends, not the suffering of other beings in other planets) and others might be more right wing and care about blowing stuff up to impress other aliens that humans are in the position of strength to deal with any problem that comes in its way. (using a show of force to break the fighting wills of the hostile alien races) And others are only there because they can't do anything else. (these would be the main characters of the story who have to think about these issues in the show and fight their own friends)

The difference between the main characters and the other on either side, is that they are culture-less and become a kind of anti-hero to the macross universe: only fighting for money to survive a dangerous galaxy where technology has made the fighting more uncertain. Where the richest alien races can just buy their way to get what they want and not have to sacrifice their own life to obtain it; with some of them backing both sides of the wars between hostile races to completely wipe each other out in order to then gain control of their home planets for themselves after the dust has settled. ie deliberately wanting more war and creating more anger to create the conditions needed for their own takeover of power and enslavement of them when the planets can no longer sustain the hostile races.

All these themes are close to the reality on earth(where we fight amongst ourselves), but in 'giant form' that aliens in other planets haven't solved for millions of years. Unlike macross 7 the anti-hero is much more like a "snake plisskin" and gets used for his skills in a VF and he must choose sides based on his own beliefs or mood since he has no tie with any of the cultures that exist, only the the money he made as a mercenary. He hates and loves everyone equally. The protodevil plans to manipulate people into killing each other are usually cancelled out by smaller wars that leads to less death of innocent people and fights that end in stalemates which keep mercenary employed as a gun for hire. (ie not one side winning too easily)

He is not the messiah, just a guy trying to make a living. (sort of like the guy in cowboy bebop)

"But that's not macross"

I know but I would like to see a spinoff to macross where the character is more 3 dimensional and must deal with more than one race at any time. Some of the cultures are warlike and he benefits from it by using their own technology against them, and some of them are peaceful and whiney (save the trees) which he can protect, and yet others are somewhere in between who try not to piss any other race off due to wanting to be politically correct, however can somehow ignore the suffering of other fellow galactic species of intelligent beings by just not doing anything and only wanting to be nice. (This consists of mostly humans who just want to be left alone).

Unlike other macross tv shows there is no perfect answer and uniting together doesn't solve the problems because it just makes the wars bigger by centralising powers so that people's money; which gets used to further the defense and give people a feeling of security and safety, just scares others (who are not part of that government or society) into doing the same thing; whose goal is to eventually expand before you beat them to the monopoly.

Most of the problems wouldn't exist if the protodevlin's offer for more power didn't drive each hostile race to desire it from the beginning. You can't have the security if you feel insecure. The protodevlin feed off the emotions of hate and fear and become stronger so they have a vested interest in guiding their religious followers towards destruction and death. (yes for once I want to see a purely evil villain in the macross franchise, - if only as a scary side story that can later not be considered canon)

The protodevlin can't be 'defeated', reasoned with, or physically destroyed since they are not part of the physical world but the world of the dead which living people are not part of. They can be contacted and communicated to but any bargain made results in a huge sacrifices, that usually gets them a much better end in the bargain - just as the protoculture found out and who have faded out of the memories forever through thier own extinction)

When the protodevlin destroy the cultures of existing races they are really setting them up for killing each other off and causing imbalances that feed them energy. (ie when the hostiles alien races fear their loss of powers and can't stop relying on PD for answers to help themselves become the rulers of the physical world)

Humans are not the last hope, but one of many candidate-species for overcoming galactic problems. (which the PC failed to do) We gained an inheritance, but we also have the curse of having to balance it so that every race competing to survive doesn't get to have its way with other races too easily. The show wouldn't just be humans saving the galaxy like past macross shows, but one where all the other races are equally trying to find planets to safely-colonise like us, out of fear they will be wiped out if they don't wipe us out first. When the zentradi lost their "warrior-only" culture, sure it was right for them to be helped to get their memory back, but they also would have the right to exist independent of humans on their own planets once humans decided to go all evil and follow the steps of the PC and cause new wars. A future show wouldn't just accept that zentradi who didn't integrate with human society were all bad guys. A future show could have a zentradi character who realised what he was (a genetically modified soldier) and continue fighting supervision army or forming his own government that was not under any mind controlled orders anymore. They wouldn't be anti-human, just not pro-human either. (and the show wouldn't paint a human as good guy and zentradi as bad guy like macross plus tried to do by making guld the angry one - just have a good zentradi and a bad zentradi to show the universe isn't only looking to humans for answers - I think i just want more complexity)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

<!--quoteo(post=826125:date=Jan 31 2010, 11:51 AM:name=Valkyrie addict)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valkyrie addict @ Jan 31 2010, 11:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=826125"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nothing, I hate reboots/remakes that <b>are not necessary </b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yah know....I'm gonna authorize the public stoning of anyone who's even going to suggest a remake/reboot. Are we that creatively impaired?

If you've been to the movies of late or seen any TV, yes. Yes the entire industry is.

The reason for a reboot would be to get a new generation of fans into macross.

Problem with kids of today is they don't want to watch old shows due to not being cool for them. It's hard to get them to like the originals shows because they think if something is old it must automatically suck. (take old gundam for instance - why is that not as popular to the west as gundam wing was? Because the other one was newer) I hate to admit it but if the animation is also dated, people won't watch it out of quality reasons too.

Also what happens when you guys are old and stop watching macross? Who is going to carry the torch? If it wasn't for macross II you people wouldn't even have had macross plus. Think about that for a second people.

The reason for a reboot would be to get a new generation of fans into macross.

Problem with kids of today is they don't want to watch old shows due to not being cool for them. It's hard to get them to like the originals shows because they think if something is old it must automatically suck. (take old gundam for instance - why is that not as popular to the west as gundam wing was? Because the other one was newer) I hate to admit it but if the animation is also dated, people won't watch it out of quality reasons too.

Also what happens when you guys are old and stop watching macross? Who is going to carry the torch? If it wasn't for macross II you people wouldn't even have had macross plus. Think about that for a second people.

I think that new generation of fans you speak of, is very much "macross frontier", atleast in Japan, in the west...well we need for the macross story to finally leave Japan and be seen and expirienced all over the world.

I think that new generation of fans you speak of, is very much "macross frontier", atleast in Japan, in the west...well we need for the macross story to finally leave Japan and be seen and expirienced all over the world.

Amen. I got my wife to sing 射手座☆午後九時 from Macross Frontier. I'm doing my part on bringing fans to Macross. :)

The money in anime these days is in moe not mecha. So I would bet that any relaunch of SDFM would end up as a high school drama, even more so then Frontier. (More then enough reason never to consider it!)

So if we're aiming for the hit title of the year, what would this monstrosity look like? With a little help by Frankenstein:

Set up: Most of the cast will be high school seniors living aboard the SDF-1:

Misa: tsundere class rep (think Kyou from Clannad)

Minmay: Hikaru's childhood friend, moe blob with music talent, loves Pineapple cake (Yui from K-on!)

Hikaru: harem lead (pick any random rom-com, they are all the same)

Milia: emotionless quiet girl (Tenchi, Angel Beats) and will fall for Hikky (they don't call em harem lead for nothing)

Max: Hakaru' classmate, computer nerd and smitten by Milia.

Kakizaki: military otaku and pervert. Butt of all jokes.

The bridge bunnies: random female classmates. Together with Misa and Vermillion squad they form the schools computer club specializing in flight sims(the boys) and RTS-games(the girls).

Lin Kyle: evil exchange student, aims to seduce Minmay with pine apple cake, will stop at nothing to get Claudias recipe

Roy: former pilot now teacher in aviation, sometimes GAR, most of the time a lecher. Shares Minmays love for pine apple cake

Claudia: the class's ICT teacher wants to domesticate Roy, eternally annoyed by his antics. Master cook of pine apple cake

Plot: Zentradi arrive decade after crash SDF-1 as per normal. The rebuilt ship is understaffed as only a skeleton crew was aboard during the launch ceremony. After the emergency fold to Pluto the laws of Gundam will ensure that the class will end up in the military. UN Spacy adopts sailor uniforms as standard military outfits. The main attack of SW1 will happen at the same time as the annual school festival. Minay and the music club give their first performance there, broadcasted live to boost the ships morale. Zentradi warchine overcome by waves of moe-ness and fatal nosebleeds...

There we go, wonder if there are any modern anime tropes missing? ^_^

The money in anime these days is in moe not mecha. So I would bet that any relaunch of SDFM would end up as a high school drama, even more so then Frontier. (More then enough reason never to consider it!)

So if we're aiming for the hit title of the year, what would this monstrosity look like? With a little help by Frankenstein:

Minmay: Hikaru's childhood friend, moe blob with music talent, loves Pineapple cake (Yui from K-on!)

Milia: emotionless quiet girl (Tenchi, Angel Beats) and will fall for Hikky (they don't call em harem lead for nothing)

The bridge bunnies: random female classmates. Together with Misa and Vermillion squad they form the schools computer club specializing in flight sims(the boys) and RTS-games(the girls).

Lin Kyle: evil exchange student, aims to seduce Minmay with pine apple cake, will stop at nothing to get Claudias recipe

Roy: former pilot now teacher in aviation, sometimes GAR, most of the time a lecher. Shares Minmays love for pine apple cake

Claudia: the class's ICT teacher wants to domesticate Roy, eternally annoyed by his antics. Master cook of pine apple cake

Plot: Zentradi arrive decade after crash SDF-1 as per normal. The rebuilt ship is understaffed as only a skeleton crew was aboard during the launch ceremony. After the emergency fold to Pluto the laws of Gundam will ensure that the class will end up in the military. UN Spacy adopts sailor uniforms as standard military outfits. The main attack of SW1 will happen at the same time as the annual school festival. Minay and the music club give their first performance there, broadcasted live to boost the ships morale. Zentradi warchine overcome by waves of moe-ness and fatal nosebleeds...

Milia would have gotten a case of amnesia, hence forgetting that she's actually a Meltran and only finding out when Max declared her love for her.

Otherwise you're spot on!

..... and being that this would have to appeal to the High School Musical / Glee generation there would be lots of impromptu singing and smultchyness. Oh and the ocasional Valk or Zentran pod just to make sure you remember its set in space with aliens........ Pass me the bucket please.

Nightmerish for sure!

Still there's some notable exceptions in anime, say...ghost in the shell, the two TV series??? Or a more kind of a parody story, like black lagoon?

snip

You did forget one, Global as the older and perverted Ship's Captain/School Principal/Commandant who is always smoking in his office while looking out the window at the female students with binoculars. :lol:

You did forget one, Global as the older and perverted Ship's Captain/School Principal/Commandant who is always smoking in his office while looking out the window at the female students with binoculars. :lol:

And at some point either Misa or Miria would have to wear a maid outfit:)

Just needs

, for the Oniiii-chaaaaan! factor.... and I'm sold.

I think if we can't get a reboot do a sidestory. Actually what I had in mind was an OVA that goes for like 12 parts. Each part is like 40 mins.

The human race has been destroyed and only clones of school girls who can sing manage to survive as the aliens have decided to study them for their entertainment abilities. The zentradi are plant like zombies that have antenna which pick up the waves and music causes a reaction to their brains which makes them feel emotions again. Because they merged with technology and lost their souls they are known by all other aliens as the "satan's dolls". Because humans are too weak a resistence force plans to send a earth-created ship to find a new place to live only to come across the supervision army who then become our friends and come to a decision to visit earth to kill off any remaining zentradi.

Only problem is they can't be trusted and the zentradi (on the losing side)must make a deal with humans to defeat them using unconventional tactics.

Ok I'll admit I just wanted my macross "MS 8th team" with destroids in it. (valks only for the space dogfights)

The first half is earth made destroids. The second half is when transforming machines enter the war and managed to outclass the zentradi soldiers superior numbers (humans have limited resources and create the transforming mecha to adapt). The end of the war is the zentradi and humans winning, the supervision army losing, and the appearance of new beings (bird humans that sing to call their friends) hearing about the war and wanting to eliminate both humans and zentradi to keep them from harming every other race.

They succeed and this is where the reboot of the the tv series can start. Everything from the past becomes legend passed down from human to human after a post apoc period where humans and zentradi have had to start all over again. Nature has healed, and aliens have mixed themselves up with humans and humans with aliens causing there to be a lot of fighting amongst themselves. The global civil war is covered, a discovery is made of an old ship from past civilisation with advanced technology and the beginning of a united nations government is formed just like SDF:M. This time however the protodevlin are the main enemy; (make these guys the monsters - with the leaders being more like spiritual leaders and the soldiers being similar to Vajra) they have possessed the old civilisations into fighting in space wars to settle their differences while humans have rebuilt and learned their lesson. Bird humans are extinct by this age but they left information for us to discover to deal with protodevlin tricks.

Advantages of a reboot:

-we get the modern version of VF-1 (I guess that's what macross zero is for then)

-new characters with proper deep backstories.

-better animations than the old tv show

-new kiddie audience who wll buy up all the toys and won't ignore the show just because it looks dated and uncool becuase that what his dad watched.

-no more slow pacing from SDF:M. It doesn't have to be a 'mecha' show, or a 'sci-fi' show, or a 'crazy events happening at japanese high school' show but a show that you watch because you like the characters in it and because it appeals to international audience

-destroids that can go down a ramp without looking like they'd fall over.

-it would combine everything into one thing so people who didn't watch older shows are up to speed.

For the last point, have you noticed how there are referencs in macross F to macross zero in it, but only those poeple who saw macross zero would know who Nome is? People who didn't get to see mac zero will miss out on backstory.

An OVA combined with tv series spaced together closely would link everything better imo. In the OVA you get the big fleet battles and show us the evolution of the ideas, (mech porn) the tv series would give you more up close and personal view of things like what life is like living in the universe. Also things just make sense more: music has a history within the past because the zentradi were sensitive to it, as opposed to the SDF:M version where it forms a mere tactic to distract them for a short while, as humans use the time to blow them up :p)

The true reason a reboot = good is people might like to see all the best stuff from DYRL, (really gory deaths and humour) the SDF:M tv series (brave survival story and romance during a time of high risk missions), animation from mac zero and frontier, (urgh I can't go back to the ones from SDF:M) just in one thing as opposed to scattered. But it would be a seperate universe still. (maybe scrap the ideas from macross 7 hehe. only the best parts from macross get to go in)

• 2 weeks later...

Reboot Macross like they reboot Battlestar Galactica

Make Miria a mind controlled clone/ticking time bomb who is eventually redeemed by love

Make Roy a drunken women pilot

Make Claudia into an uptight male officer

Make Hikaru morally ambiguous and horny

Make Minmay into a siren who leads the fleet to "The End"

Make Global the single ethically and morally upright person on the fleet

Make Max bisexual, because I dont know.

Make Kakizaki a former terrorist who faked his way into the UN Spacey.

Done!

Edited by Funkenstein

I'd love to see a side story... Anything where we get to see the VF-1 animated fighting Regults. Maybe a squadron has to go after rogue Zentrans when they get stuck on earth after the SDF-1 folds into outerspace. I guess that would be in the TV series continuity because no one survives in the DYRL version... lol.

I'd love to see a side story... Anything where we get to see the VF-1 animated fighting Regults. Maybe a squadron has to go after rogue Zentrans when they get stuck on earth after the SDF-1 folds into outerspace. I guess that would be in the TV series continuity because no one survives in the DYRL version... lol.

Even back in 84 as a kid I wondered what happened on Earth, Not all of the Zentrans would have gone chasing after the SDF1 the same as not all of the U.N Spacy forces would have been on the SDF1 when it left.

Even an OVA based around what happened would be good. The Zentran garrison fleet, is largely left to itself but the stubborn humans wont play nice and increasing difficulties in removing the military mean more and more exposure to Deculture and we see the beginnings of the zentrans rediscovering the "human" side of their history. We see a group of sympathisers micronise them selves and infiltrate a human city and learn more and more about culture, this leads to more zentrans defecting.

Meanwhile technology recovered from a destroyed zentran cruiser alows a secretive company ( I was thinking SMS) to research the Micronisation systems, this leads them to produce Zentran sized specialists who then infiltrate the enemy to find out more.

The humans at first believe the SDF1 has been lost, so all the stops are pulled out to try and get the Zentradi to leave. Once contact is re-established U.N Spacey is getting updates from the SDF1 and more of an understanding of the Zentradi fighting slows down, meanwhile the secretive company finds out the Zentrans are nothing but clone slaves and the existence of the Supervision army.

This makes them want to take all the Zentran tech and get their own force of Giants to fight a possible Supervision Army invasion. Cue lots of under the table back stabbing shenanigans and the eventual finding out of what they are up to.

The SDF comes back and things happen as per Macross original.

Secretive company is kicked into touch with lots of battles and stuff with all their stolen tech and absorbed into the U.N Spacy as a special research division.

Wow parts of that sounded dangerously close to RT there bud...;)

The SMS was founded by Briler a Zentradi, so that couldn't be your company.

However, I've said it many times before that the Macross universe is so vast that dozens of side stories could be produced and the general continuity wouldn't be affected...

The keys to a successful, faithful reboot are (IMO):

1. The cost of the series is spread out equally among the sponsors. Bandai and Victor have both called too many shots on the series and not really to the franchise's benefit.

2. Get as many of the original writing team back as possible to adapt Mikimoto's manga for the small screen.

3. Allow for an updated VF-1 design

4. Ms.Kanno can update the music (she's already done so on a couple of the songs)

5. Plan a two season budget. Macross ran 36 eps which is a season and a half. I"m sure there is enough material in Kawamori and Mikimoto's heads to flesh out the remaining 12 eps (a better build up to the Max and Millia meeting would be one that comes to my mind).

6. Naturally, hiring Satellite to anime the series.

7. Don't be afraid to let the story get serious and dark. Talking down to the audience never works. Taking a few cues from Korean dramas wouldn't hurt any.

8. Bring back the old design team and a few new ones to update and flesh out the mecha and environments.

Just a few thoughts on the subject.

It can be done, and done faithfully. The challenge is keep untrained and untalented hands off the thing until its finished.

Edited by Zinjo

Wow parts of that sounded dangerously close to RT there bud...;)

The SMS was founded by Briler a Zentradi, so that couldn't be your company.

However, I've said it many times before that the Macross universe is so vast that dozens of side stories could be produced and the general continuity wouldn't be affected...

RT whats that blasphemy you speak of :p

Actually your right it is a bit RT :(

Forgot who it was that founded the SMS, although I did mean SMS like, you know all good for everyone on top and underneath would sell and skin their own Grandmothers for a dime if needed to better the cause.

Potentially very dark storylines etc.

The thing is with Macross that like Star Trek it could be padded out to massive proportions.

We'll all get our macross reboot when the robotech movie comes out. hahahahahaha.

I aint waiting until retirement for that nonsense to finally get green lit... :p

Everyone wants a Macross movie and no one but Big West and WB can make that happen...

HG has to be cut out of the equation or it just won't happen. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Reboot Macross like they reboot Battlestar Galactica

Make Miria a mind controlled clone/ticking time bomb who is eventually redeemed by love

Make Roy a drunken women pilot

Make Claudia into an uptight male officer

Make Hikaru morally ambiguous and horny

Make Minmay into a siren who leads the fleet to "The End"

Make Global the single ethically and morally upright person on the fleet

Make Max bisexual, because I dont know.

Make Kakizaki a former terrorist who faked his way into the UN Spacey.

Done!

:lol:

:ph34r: