The Transformers 3 Thread--A Michael Bay Thread

Transformers 3  

204 members have voted

1. 1. What would you want in Transformers 3?

• Unicron
    • Dinobots
    • More Triple-Changers
    • Omega Supreme and more Gestalts
    • More robots and less human characters
    • A better actress than Megan Fox
    • Mudflap and Skids blown to pieces
    • A better group of script writers
    • A more competent director than Michael Bay / Zoom the camera out during fight scenes
    • Michael Bay's head on a stake
  2. 2. Will Transformers 3 suffer from the "Third Movie Syndrome"?

• Yes
    • No

Sorry A7, I had to edit the poll to allow multiple options, and add a very-requested one. :)

Yeah, but telling Michael Bay to zoom the camera out is like telling Slash not to play guitar. It's like telling GM to stop building SUVs. It's like telling Kevin McKeever to grow balls. It's just not gonna happen.

So if you want the action zoomed out, you're better off with a different director.

• 2 weeks later...

No more Bay, Start taking it a bit more seriously and stop with the potty humour. Zoom out for fights, and for heavens sake make them actually look different! Alot of the times you cant tell who's who! Oh and more bots less humans!!!

1) Change director - get rid of Bay.

2) Zoom out for the fight scenes.

3) Redesign the Transformers so they more closely resemble the G1 designs.

4) Less screen time for the humans, more screen time for the robots.

5) Redesign Optimus Prime's face under mouth-shield, so that he doesn't look like a toothless old man. Or better yet, don't have any scenes where the mouth-shield opens.

Graham

I can't believe I'm the only one who's voted for the death of Mudflap and Skids so far. I mean, sure, I'd love to see Unicron or Dinobots or some better writing, but the racist twins have got to go first.

Maybe the rest of you are hoping they won't even be in the second one to kill?

No they need to fuse the Twins together and have Rev Al Sharpton do the voice of Mudflp/Skids and have him go into manic tirades when ever Iron Hide starts bitching about the Humans. I thought Iron Hide was an ass, he was always complaining about Humans and it annoys me.

1) Change director - get rid of Bay.

2) Zoom out for the fight scenes.

3) Redesign the Transformers so they more closely resemble the G1 designs.

4) Less screen time for the humans, more screen time for the robots.

5) Redesign Optimus Prime's face under mouth-shield, so that he doesn't look like a toothless old man. Or better yet, don't have any scenes where the mouth-shield opens.

Graham

I think the most important thing is giving Prime a 'face mask' (mouth shield)! :)

And no more half ass humor, please.

He has a face mask when fighting and quite frankly that has been a staple of Prime designs for a long time. Even BW had it, though he didn't put it on a great deal.

I doubt we'll see redesigns or less humans for reasons I've said in one of the threads.

I also doubt they'll get a new director, in which case the fight scenes will probably be very similar.

He has a face mask when fighting and quite frankly that has been a staple of Prime designs for a long time. Even BW had it, though he didn't put it on a great deal.

I doubt we'll see redesigns or less humans for reasons I've said in one of the threads.

I also doubt they'll get a new director, in which case the fight scenes will probably be very similar.

Yes, what i means was a mask that stay still, will NOT open! ^_^

I never want to see Prime 'open his mouth' again. :p

considering TF2 just made more money than the first movie has since it was released... there's no chance bay will be replaced unless he opts out.

My thoughts exactly, I don't mind him so much though (I know others do).

But to be fair, he did listen to fans with regards to certain things, so maybe we could at least look forward to a little less robot balls. I don't think he's going to deviate from his directing style too much though with the action shots. RotF is probably about as zoomed out as we're gonna get (but again I really don't mind that style).

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

I actually think that Bay is a great director for the franchise. He does two things well, car chases and explosions... I'm just hoping that the third movie goes back to that. I still think the freeway chase in the first movie was pure adrenaline... and car chases and explosions is really all I ask from the movies. He just needs to be reigned in so he doesn't live out his weird animal sex fetish.

Sorry if I'm redundant, but the G1 series has the best designs ever. Glorifying the shape of supercars as part of the robot body is what I want. I hate the new movie designs because of the little fragments of cars, and overly complicated mechanical pieces which in my opinion occludes the real beauty of the car-robot concept. I could not like this film. I felt I wanted it to end way before it was over. Awwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and I was wishing for a better film this time around.

I can't believe I'm the only one who's voted for the death of Mudflap and Skids so far. I mean, sure, I'd love to see Unicron or Dinobots or some better writing, but the racist twins have got to go first.

Maybe the rest of you are hoping they won't even be in the second one to kill?

Yes, that's pretty much what I was hoping, that Mudflap and Skids don't even show up in the next film! :angry:

Sorry if I'm redundant, but the G1 series has the best designs ever. Glorifying the shape of supercars as part of the robot body is what I want. I hate the new movie designs because of the little fragments of cars, and overly complicated mechanical pieces which in my opinion occludes the real beauty of the car-robot concept. I could not like this film. I felt I wanted it to end way before it was over. Awwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and I was wishing for a better film this time around.

Yep. This is one thing that they have ALWAYS got badly wrong in both films. The sort of thing that, when Starscream was in robot mode, you could still see clearly that he was a jet. I think it looked great. And the transformation process itself does look terrible, I don't care what sort of fancy computer programs they use to generate it.

And how long does the transformation process take. I swear, that one of Optimus' transformation sequences early on in the film felt like it took about 15 seconds!!!

To me, it seems like that they have transforming robots in this film franchise but they either don't know what to do with them or are not using enough imagination to make it interesting. They spend most of their time in robot mode and they never really utilise the ability to transform in combat itself.

Taksraven

I think SS used his jet mode to great effect in the first film actually, there were other examples, but he was definitely the prime (no pun intended) example.

If I had to pick only 1 thing to defend of the live action films it would be the robot designs. They look and feel substantially more real than anything generated in the 80s. The G1 designs have their charm and their place, but I think it would be a horrible idea to see them in a live action environment. To be clear, I was strongly against the first concept art we saw, especially of Prime.

On screen though, where these are supposed to be real things, I think it works wonderfully. They are lifelike (at least as lifelike as a 40 foot transforming robot can be) and expressive and things like this help a larger audience identify and relate with them.

I'm fairly positive that these movies would have tanked almost entirely if some of the old school fans got their way. If they removed the human element and brought in heavily influenced G1 designs like some people want I'd bet you wouldn't see these films pushing $800 million world wide.

I'm fairly positive that these movies would have tanked almost entirely if some of the old school fans got their way. If they removed the human element and brought in heavily influenced G1 designs like some people want I'd bet you wouldn't see these films pushing $800 million world wide.

Oh, don't get me wrong there. I certainly do not support fans having total influence and control over these films because I agree with you, they would probably be unprofitable crap. I would just be happier if they had followed the source material a bit more closely.

Taksraven

I can respect that, and in some cases completely agree. Despite all the flack RotF gets I think it at least tried to do that a bit more. The inclusion of Soundwave and Ravage as well as including the idea of the original Primes and the Fallen was part of that. How well they succeeded is ultimately up to the individual.

I think SS used his jet mode to great effect in the first film actually, there were other examples, but he was definitely the prime (no pun intended) example.

If I had to pick only 1 thing to defend of the live action films it would be the robot designs. They look and feel substantially more real than anything generated in the 80s. The G1 designs have their charm and their place, but I think it would be a horrible idea to see them in a live action environment. To be clear, I was strongly against the first concept art we saw, especially of Prime.

On screen though, where these are supposed to be real things, I think it works wonderfully. They are lifelike (at least as lifelike as a 40 foot transforming robot can be) and expressive and things like this help a larger audience identify and relate with them.

yeah, i think the first movies were quite inventive with their vehicle modes. SS transforming over hoover damn and then on the street, the helicopter, the freeway sequence, there was lots of great moments. The 2nd movie, not so much. Maybe the first shot of optimus rolling out of the cargo jet while it was in the air.

And I like the bayformers. The original designs were cool when I was 8 but now they look like people in refrigerator boxes, I don't think they would translated well on screen to anyone except for the diehard G1 fans. And all the moaning about mouths on the bayformers, transformers ALWAYS had anthropomorphic mouths. I don't get what the complaining is about. The Bayformers actually look like weird "transforming" alien robots.

I still don't like RotF though. :lol:

Or SS in the city where he is fighting with the other F-22s. He is constantly swapping modes to get a good shot at the other fighters which I thought was pretty awesome and fairly different.

I like the bayformers too, especially Prime. To me they got all his elements right, the head (especially in "combat" mode), the right distribution of red and blue, and well...Peter Cullen (though he isn't a design element).

Even if they bayformers weren't my favorite, I would still take their designs any day of the week over say...Energon era designs. That being said, the live action designs are readily becoming my favorite just because they really do seem real on screen.Especially on IMAX when you get shots that have them shown in actual size.

Or SS in the city where he is fighting with the other F-22s. He is constantly swapping modes to get a good shot at the other fighters which I thought was pretty awesome and fairly different.

I like the bayformers too, especially Prime. To me they got all his elements right, the head (especially in "combat" mode), the right distribution of red and blue, and well...Peter Cullen (though he isn't a design element).

Even if they bayformers weren't my favorite, I would still take their designs any day of the week over say...Energon era designs. That being said, the live action designs are readily becoming my favorite just because they really do seem real on screen.Especially on IMAX when you get shots that have them shown in actual size.

yeah, that sequence was pretty fun.. even the opening sequence of the blackhawk dude slowly transforming and then wrecking shop.

And yeah, I like the movie designs, they're fun and inventive. There are things that work on a toy, like using car seats as feet or sides of a robot that just don't work in a live action film. Do I wish the designs had more color and size distinctions? Sure, and I thought they did a good job of that in the rotf designs... well, until the end when a bunch of non descript decepticons showed up.

I actually like the human level camera angles. It makes them look big, imposing and frightening and it makes sense conceptually... the first movie was about a boy and his car, the camera angles works with that frame work, seeing it from Sam's POV.

While I didn't like the new designs when the first movie came out, I absolutely feel that you have to have these "bayformer" designs to make the movie work. The old, boxy, G1 designs, while easier for a kid to draw from memory, just would not translate to live-action, as has been evidenced by several bad Transformers knock-offs.

I really have come to prefer these alien-looking robots, who disguise themselves with vehicle modes, thus looking like an alien with some vehicle parts on their body. It's even come to the point where my kids (heavily influenced by me) only like the toys that look very alien and "bayformer" and not the universe and other more G1-like toys.

1) A camera that doesn't move non-stop (I almost left during the scene where Sam and the girl were talking on the sidewalk)

2) Music that doesn't drown out the "plot" of the movie. At least turn it down a couple more notches when you're having a quiet, romantic moment maybe, k? I mean, I understand Linkin Park is trying to make more money, but hearing the same riff 100eleventybillionhundred times during the movie was a little much.

3) Try to leave the plot holes to a minimum. Walking out of the door of the Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia to the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base in Arizona was a little much. Or having GPS coords for the place they're trying to find, yet still claiming they don't know where it is... Or... Or... Or...

Vostok 7

• 1 month later...

1) Get rid of Bay

2) Keep the story simple and tight

3) Hire someone like Kawamori to re-design the robots - he once commented in an interview that the robots in the movie don't really transform but rather change completely. Guess he's not impressed at all

4) No more toilet jokes

Edited by Ivan