Total Recall remake...why?

Yes, I think some of them are a great 'stepping off' zone for movie making. However, I wish we'd have some more SF movies from more modern writers like Vernor Vinge or Richard K Morgan. I can very, very easily imagine A Fire Upon the Deep as a blockbuster movie (the budget would be huge) or an SF noire Morgan's Altered Carbon, which I believe Spielberg already has the rights for.

It's so ingrained in my consciousness that it oozes out my pores! ;-) I don't think about it that much, but it comes instinctual. Hopefully there is always a reason for it and its not just shoe-horned in there.

Is there any chance you can insert Easter Eggs like a complete VF-1 Strike flying in the backgrounds or is that too much to ask for?

Anyway, I'm watching this movie just because you worked on it.

Edited by peter

Is there any chance you can insert Easter Eggs like a complete VF-1 Strike flying in the backgrounds or is that too much to ask for?

I think WM is part of the set design / art department, not a CG developer. ;)

I enjoyed the original, but it's hardly what I'd call a 'classic'. And as it happens I have read most of PKD's short stories, and I can tell you 'We can remember it for you wholesale' was VERY different both in plot and tone to Total Recall. Paul Verhoeven makes his own movies and we call all be grateful for that. This new movie looks like it's probably going to be a fun time at the theatre and that's all we can ask really. Looking forward to it!

WCRIFYW was basically a humorous piece and very short. I could easily imagine it being done as an Outer Limits or Twilight Zone episode. I think doing a more faithful adaptation but keeping the Total Reall title would be highly amusing. The internet meltdown from the aliens showing up would be well worth it.

I think WM is part of the set design / art department, not a CG developer. ;)

Making a sticker of the nude Misa cameo in Orguss and sticking that in a scene would be the ultimate easter egg.. :)

I hear the reason they are making a new Total Recall is because we (as in general public, not Macross fans, damn VF-1D) still have money in our pockets.

• 1 month later...

Girlfriend saw the trailer yesterday while he watched MIB3. She poked me asking why it was so familiar. I did my arnie voice and she snarked, looked at the screen and said "Oh god why?"

Really? Aside from the name, this trailer basically has zero resemblance to the original?

but it has Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel. :wub:

Exactly! Now if only their vicious fighting ends with some making out together action... :wub:

Happy Thoughts there... And with that, goodnight my friends. :D

Really? Aside from the name, this trailer basically has zero resemblance to the original?

I think it had more to do with Collin Ferral having to be Houser/Quaid which for some reason stuck with her as being Arnie instead. Plus, despite liking Transformers Bayverse, she's more into practical and inventive effects rather than CGI pull crap like myself when it comes to movies.

It's a movie the two of us agreed is one we will pass on this summer.

There's quite a bit in there that is nigh identical.

Ignoring the total recall of a previous life as a spy for the mo', the design of the total recall device is extremely similar (one just has CG overlayed on it), and the mask disguise the hero wears (one's a (mostly) practical effect, and the other is a CG "hologram") are the ones that immediately come to mind.

Now, as they are both based on the same story (that white elephant that we were ignoring), you can really appreciate how much the remake/revisioning/re-whatevering is to the original.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If anyone gets DiY Network, tune on starting August 1st to see a making of episode for the construction of Total Recall (hopefully I will be on TV!)

http://www.diynetwork.com/hollywood-builders-total-recall/hollywood-builders-total-recall/index.html

I'm still trying to figure out how they put a hover car into a traction roll.

Because, yknow, that's obviously the least realistic thing in there....

That's just what I thought watching the trailer.

I guess there's nothing wrong with another fun scifi blockbuster... but I wish they had put their millions into something that hasn't already been done. So what should we be expecting the next Verhoeven remake to be, Starship Troopers? At least he is working on a new movie now

Having Collin Ferrall yell "Give these people air!" just won't be the same without the Arnold voice.

Same thing goes for him beating up all those agents/cop in the Recall clinic in the trailer. Might as well include that new Tom Cruise trailer of Tom beating up a dozen pretty crooks on the street. Movies like to show how tough the hero is by having the actor beat up several guys at once with ease. I'm rarely buying that these days. If the actor has a past as a martial artist or physical imposing with athletic background like Arnold or has always played the tough guy I can believe he can take several guys out. It is just too much of a stretch to believe that Collin or Tom are that good.