Total Recall remake...why?

I will always enjoy the grittiness and gore factor of the 90's film. Not too mention it was one of the last hollywood films to use practical effects from stop motion, to model building. or, at least one of arnolds last.

Am I the only one who thinks that the film hasn't aged well and would already be forgotten without the Arnie cult factor? Just like the PKD story, it had a brilliant concept, but lacked in execution.

I don't expect the new film to be any better, but at least it has Jessca Biel's assets.

8c85b2182129620.jpg

People don't want that.

:cry:

Am I the only one who thinks that the film hasn't aged well and would already be forgotten without the Arnie cult factor? Just like the PKD story, it had a brilliant concept, but lacked in execution.

Nah. The execution was great. And just like Verhoeven's action films of the late `80's and early '90's, It's full of satire!

And even without the Arnie cult, how can you not like him ripping that big booger out of his nose?

You aren't the only one. I think the original has some memorable moments that would have stuck in people's minds, but Arnie definitely added to its longevity. On the other hand, I thought the way the original abruptly dropped the CEO of Rekall in the middle of the action was a well-timed twist, even if it ended up largely ignored for the rest of the film.

Really, as far as Dick's original short story goes, the central idea is all it has to contribute (as intriguing as that idea may be). From a narrative perspective, it might have made a decent episode of the original Twilight Zone or Outer Limits, but there's nowhere near enough substance to support a full-length movie. Trying a faithful adaptation of that story would make for a pretty dull film.

I'm kinda interested in this remake. A new perspective on Dick's original idea is welcome to me, even if it borrows from Verhoeven as well to frame it as another action film. If they find an interesting way to weave the idea into the film, making it more part of the narrative than it was in the original, the result could be quite good. Interviews have touted that this is the case, but the overall track record for adapting Dick's ideas into movies hasn't been a good one. So, I'm not going to expect a good film, but I am willing to give it a chance.

"TRIPLETS---sequel underway to the 1988 comedy movie TWINS which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito. The sequel has the characters played by Schwarzenegger and Devito discovering that Eddie Murphy's character is their third sibling. The script hasn't been written yet."

"TRIPLETS---sequel underway to the 1988 comedy movie TWINS which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito. The sequel has the characters played by Schwarzenegger and Devito discovering that Eddie Murphy's character is their third sibling. The script hasn't been written yet."

Sounds interesting.

That actually could have worked if they made it in the early 90's.

I honestly thought you were joking.

Total recall isn't one of my favorite old skool action movies. I thought the sets and make up looked cheesy like a syfy original movie.

This doesn't look awesome but it has a good cast. I mean Kate Beckinsale vs. Jessica Biel with Bryan Cranston and Harold from white castle. It already looks better than the original.

...I thought the sets and make up looked cheesy like a syfy original movie...

ARGH!!! :angry:

New trailer is up!

http://trailers.appl...es/totalrecall/

I think it visually looks great! damn good design if you ask me ;)

Come on out and support a fellow MacrossWorlder!

...at least I got what I wanted out of it! :p

post-244-0-19853400-1333393395_thumb.jpg

ARGH!!! :angry:

New trailer is up!

http://trailers.appl...es/totalrecall/

I think it visually looks great! damn good design if you ask me ;)

Come on out and support a fellow MacrossWorlder!

...at least I got what I wanted out of it! :p

post-244-0-19853400-1333393395_thumb.jpg

Argh? I was saying that about the original. Unless that pisses you off too, in which case. Sorry dude. But the new one looks a lot better. The scene with Colin Farrell on the balcony reminds me of decker's balcony scene.

Btw. I'm a huge Rob Bottin fan but I just didn't think Total Recall was his finest job.

I don't like Colin Farrell's acting. It's always overly dramatic with those eyebrows that move on their own.

Though I will watch this film for three reasons.

Kate Beckinsale.

Those cool looking Ceberus troops.

And Kate Beckinsale again.

With that said, I thought the plot of Total Recall was about the politics in reforming Mars? But without Mars, how will this remake work?

Also this film's trailer reminded me strongly of Deux EX Machina, Johnny Mmemonic, and a lot of Minority Report. Blade Runner would have been the last thing to came to mind.

With that said, I thought the plot of Total Recall was about the politics in reforming Mars? But without Mars, how will this remake work?

The Phillip K. Dick story that inspired Total Recall, titled We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, is more about the reliability of memory, how memory defines our perception, and perception as reality. Mars figures as a plot point, but isn't central. You could have replaced Mars with Kansas in that story and the end result would have been more or less the same. So, this new film is a remake of Total Recall in that it too claims inspiration from PKD's story, but it truth it's not taking a heck of a lot from the previous film. From what I've seen so far, it's more reuse of a known brand than a close or faithful remake.

Edited by Penguin

Argh? I was saying that about the original. Unless that pisses you off too, in which case. Sorry dude. But the new one looks a lot better. The scene with Colin Farrell on the balcony reminds me of decker's balcony scene.

Btw. I'm a huge Rob Bottin fan but I just didn't think Total Recall was his finest job.

I think Cheng worked on the sets for the new one

Also this film's trailer reminded me strongly of Deux EX Machina, Johnny Mmemonic, and a lot of Minority Report. Blade Runner would have been the last thing to came to mind.

Huh. I got "The 5th Element" and "Star Wars II" from it.

The Phillip K. Dick story that inspired Total Recall, titled We Can Remember It For You Wholesale, is more about the reliability of memory, how memory defines our perception, and perception as reality. Mars figures as a plot point, but isn't central. You could have replaced Mars with Kansas in that story and the end result would have been more or less the same. So, this new film is a remake of Total Recall in that it too claims inspiration from PKD's story, but it truth it's not taking a heck of a lot from the previous film. From what I've seen so far, it's more reuse of a known brand than a close or faithful remake.

Ah, thank you. I've never read any of the books PKD. So basically this film is going to more about the reliability of memory, than the struggle between the rich and the poor?

I also wonder if mutants will feature in this one?

Wonder if this will work out ok, with Mr Cheng's work at least the sets will be good :)

Thanks, at least it will pay for the upcomming VF-4! Did you notice the VF-1 intakes laid vertically in that screen grab of the trailer? Look for the Vernier thrusters liberally sprinkled thoughout the rest of the sets ;-)

Ah, thank you. I've never read any of the books PKD. So basically this film is going to more about the reliability of memory, than the struggle between the rich and the poor?

I also wonder if mutants will feature in this one?

Honestly, I have no idea. :lol: I've seen casting sheets that repeat character names that were unique to the movie, and interviews that talk in length about more inspiration from the original story (but then again, everyone goes on about their "faithfulness" to PKD's ideas in their adaptations). My gut feel is we'll mostly get a remangling of the Total Recall story, set on Earth rather than Mars. Since it has espionage elements in it, there will be a political angle of some sort. IIRC, the mutants were supposed to be caused by inadequate shielding in the original Martian colonies, so if it's entirely on Earth there would need to be some other explanation.

Thanks, at least it will pay for the upcomming VF-4! Did you notice the VF-1 intakes laid vertically in that screen grab of the trailer? Look for the Vernier thrusters liberally sprinkled thoughout the rest of the sets ;-)

It's awesome that you put those bits in. So tell us, if you don't mind me asking, do you specifically look for opportunities to inject a little Macrossness, or just add them in when something appropriate grabs you? Or a little of both?

So tell us, if you don't mind me asking, do you specifically look for opportunities to inject a little Macrossness, or just add them in when something appropriate grabs you? Or a little of both?

It's so ingrained in my consciousness that it oozes out my pores! ;-) I don't think about it that much, but it comes instinctual. Hopefully there is always a reason for it and its not just shoe-horned in there.

I enjoyed the original, but it's hardly what I'd call a 'classic'. And as it happens I have read most of PKD's short stories, and I can tell you 'We can remember it for you wholesale' was VERY different both in plot and tone to Total Recall. Paul Verhoeven makes his own movies and we call all be grateful for that. This new movie looks like it's probably going to be a fun time at the theatre and that's all we can ask really. Looking forward to it!

I can't think of a single adaptation of PKD's stories that did retain the same tone as the original stories. Given his highly introspective style, I'm not sure how filmable they could be in their original state. His ideas were always engaging, often gripping, but character and narrative sometimes suffered.