Also, the stories that guns were not allowed to be used in the third one because Sigourney did not want to be seen as a gun toting hero. (If that story was true, Sigourney must take a lot of the blame for the failure of the third film.
I remember the wait for Alien 3, which pretty much ended for me with an interview with Sigourney Weaver where she said they could only get her to come back by promising 'no guns'. Which was a bit rich, given how she showed no gun aversion during pre-Aliens publicity ... <_<

I've probably never gotten over that, so my hatred of the film may be because I'm viewing it through bloodshot-coloured glasses. The fourth movie was just fluff IMO, like Whedon practicing for Firefly. So, for me, the first two movies are the only ones worth the adulation. I'll reserve judgement on this prequel until I see it (and I admit I will see it, even if the reviews say it's crap). Lemme see, who else did some prequels for a 25-year-old SF franchise recently ... ? ;)

Edited by Vile

Sigourney has always been a big time anti gun advocate. There are scenes on the special features which show her trying to get the guns out of her hands asap after cut is called in scenes on Aliens. Iirc she helped produce Alien 3 and probably had a bit more pull as a result than in 1 and 2. Guns certainly don't make an Alien flick though, the first one had torches jury rigged as flame throwers and that was about it.

Frankly one thing that bothered me about Aliens was they fact they blew through them like they were made paper.

Frankly one thing that bothered me about Aliens was they fact they blew through them like they were made paper.

That's what made it awesmoe for me though. The 1s movie they were a mostly unarmed civvie ship so they had trouble with just 1 alien.

2nd one they had guns which killed individual xenos easily but it still showed the true danger of the xenomorph swarm....and guns aren't gonna help you much.

Yeah, I hated it in Macross Frontier when they started to do that to the Vajra, after they were portrayed as being so tough in the first few episodes.

Taksraven

That's what made it awesmoe for me though. The 1s movie they were a mostly unarmed civvie ship so they had trouble with just 1 alien.

2nd one they had guns which killed individual xenos easily but it still showed the true danger of the xenomorph swarm....and guns aren't gonna help you much.

Conservation of Ninjutsu reigns in all media forms. :)

Doesn't really bother me as much when I think about them as uber-zerglings. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I hated it in Macross Frontier when they started to do that to the Vajra, after they were portrayed as being so tough in the first few episodes.

Taksraven

And then they got tougher again... slightly. :p

Agree with the retcon idea totally.

I have been hoping for years (since the 3rd movie actually) that someone in Hollywood with the gonads would just make a movie called Alien2 or Aliens2 and get the hell back on track.

Heck, if I was the one calling the shots, I'd do both. Alien2 doing the dark gothic thriller thing and Aliens2* doing the Gatling gun dropship multi missile pulse rifle toting trash talking Colonial Marine interstellar gunboat milspec fest.

I'd support a spin off simply called 'Colonial Marines' too. Even if it had no xenomorphs in it.

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

I'd support a spin off simply called 'Colonial Marines' too. Even if it had no xenomorphs in it.

They have a video game that is in danger of being canned, named exactly that.

• 6 years later...
Guest davidwhangchoi

First image of the Shane Black Predator sequel

BoNKFCM.jpg

The treatment for The Predator is being handled by Shane Black (Iron Man 3), co-writing with Fred Dekker. Black is also believed to be directing the film.

The image is the first official marketing for the movie, which seems to suggest it has been greenlit, though the film is still not officially on 20th Century Fox’s schedule.

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/15/predator-teaser-image-released/

Predators was almost as good as Predator. Almost.

What has me worried about this new installment is Fred Dekker being co-writer. His past works include RoboCop 3 and If Looks Could Kill (a.k.a. Teen Agent). Sure, he's best friends with Shane Black, but Black himself still has much to prove other than Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man 3.

Predators was almost as good as Predator. Almost.

What has me worried about this new installment is Fred Dekker being co-writer. His past works include RoboCop 3 and If Looks Could Kill (a.k.a. Teen Agent). Sure, he's best friends with Shane Black, but Black himself still has much to prove other than Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man 3.

Interesting, I tend to go back and forth on Predators whether I like it or not. I don't think it was as bad as some people say but it I still think Predator was the only undeniably "good" Predator movie.

As long as this remains a passion project for Shane Black then I'm optimistic. If it was just some 'dude' that directed some other 'stuff' then my expectations would be very low.

-b.

Hm a tad on guard as none of those previous write jobs or movies I'm fond of, namely ironman 3. Could Shane pull off as a director? Maybe good chance.

I just feel that the monster franchise of this like aliens is stale even if you throw more money and ideas into it, won't mean it's a good movie. Predators had a good idea but imo bad cheesy story. Kind of like ALIEN, I think it can still be good, it just needs the right stuff to make it happen again.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. I loved Predators and I'd like to see that idea carried on.

However I wasn't thrilled with Iron Man 3, and while Shane Black is the only person not named John McTiernan I'd trust with the franchise I'd rather see a continuation of Predators rather than an outright reboot of Predator.

Predator is action history gold. Leave it alone.

I didn't really care for Iron Man 3, but I'm optimistic. Predators was really pretty cool in my opinion. I find myself wanting to re-watch it every now and then. Obviously nothing tops the original, never liked 2 much, but I did like the first AVP, I won' even mention the sequel. If Adrian Brody came back for a sequel to Predators I'd be all over that.

I didn't really care for Iron Man 3, but I'm optimistic. Predators was really pretty cool in my opinion. I find myself wanting to re-watch it every now and then. Obviously nothing tops the original, never liked 2 much, but I did like the first AVP, I won' even mention the sequel. If Adrian Brody came back for a sequel to Predators I'd be all over that.

It sucks because there has never been any continuity in Predator with regards to characters returning or actors reprising their roles. Maybe they can get Arnie to make an appearance in this new one.

I really didn't like Predator 2, not when it first came out, and not even after the AvP films. Predator 2 always felt...gratuitous...with everything it did. The only part I enjoyed was the appearance of the Alien skull at the end, and we all know how the promise of crossover films turned out.

Alien, Aliens & Predator (and I guess) Predators for the win.

-b.

I just wished back in the day we'd got the Aliens sequel we all wanted, with the Aliens getting back to Earth and a mass infestation breaking out and Hicks, Ripley, Bishop and Newt along with Colonial Marines and other Earth armed forces fighting for the survival of mankind.

Instead of that shitty dog alien in a prision movie we got......urghh

I really like Predator 2. It didn't try to match, or even overshadow the original and instead just told another story in the same universe. I thought Danny Glover did a good job, and Gary Busey is always entertaining :)

Apparently the director had to trim about 17 minutes of scenes to avoid an NC-17 rating. I'd love to see that cut of the film!

I just wished back in the day we'd got the Aliens sequel we all wanted, with the Aliens getting back to Earth and a mass infestation breaking out and Hicks, Ripley, Bishop and Newt along with Colonial Marines and other Earth armed forces fighting for the survival of mankind.

Instead of that shitty dog alien in a prision movie we got......urghh

Capcom's game was like that but with different characters.

Apparently the director had to trim about 17 minutes of scenes to avoid an NC-17 rating. I'd love to see that cut of the film!

What ?! What kind of scenes ?