What about your 1/48's?

MacrossMan

My first Yamato Macross toy was the 1/60 cannon fodder VF-0A. As I got more into the hobby I started collecting 1/48 scale Valks. Since then, like most, I have been hooked. My attraction to the toys originally was the sheer size of them along with the detail and the fact they didn't look toyish like the chunky monkies. That being said, it goes without saying I'm a diehard 1/48 fan.

With the release of the new 1/60 scale Yamato stuff I am wondering what you guys plan on doing with your 1/48 Valks. My understanding is Yamato will be producing everything in the new 1/60 scale from here on out. We have to admit the sculpt and improvements of the new scale are off Richter scale. These new puppies are sweet and I'll be collecting them all, but I won't sleep on my 1/48's.

If you are planning on picking up any new 1/60's (I'll be copping them all), what do you plan to do with your 1/48's? I only have one that I am considering selling and it is to purchase more 1/60 scale Valks.

Edited by MacrossMan

I have 4 1/48 scale Valks. One is the low-vis woodland version with GBP armour, and the other three are the DYRL Skull Squadron minus Kakizaki. I'm considering picking up a Kakizaki just to have all the named Skull Squadron character Valkyries. Beyond that, I don't plan on buying any more 1/48 Valks, but don't plan on selling the ones I have, either. They've got a display shelf all to themselves.

If anything I've started to consider selling my 1/55 Bandai toys.

I like the finer detail of the 1/48s and I plan on keeping all of the ones I have. I'm also all VF-1'd out and prefer having a more diverse collection of Macross mecha. I plan on eventually getting one of the 1/60 VF-1s just to have one to be displayed along side my other 1/60 scale Macross stuff. I haven't really decided what to settle on. I was thinking either a Max TV 1J or one of the two-seaters, but that would be as far as my purchases go for the v2 1/60's. I'm saving up for all the other stuff that's coming down the pipe.

I too am keeping mine as well as displaying them. I am only getting 1/60s in colors and versions I don't have except for Hikaru's VF-1J so that I can have a complete Vermillion Squadron in one scale. Other than that, if I have it in 1/48s I am not getting a 1/60. Feels too much like double dipping.

I used to have all the 1/48 valks, right up to around just before the angelbird was released, also bought one VF-1S and VF-1A Max just so that i could have a VF-1S MAX, i was used to have three low vis ver 1.

Since then, i have cleared them all, due to it's fast discoloration. although it looks nice to have everything, but i didn't expect it to be "off white" so soon. Now i have only a VF-1J with GBP and that's it

For the 1/60, i only intend to keep the following

1. VF-1J Hikaru

2. VF-1D

3. VT-1

4. VE-1

Although 1/48 is nice i must agree, but the 1/60 2.0 seems a better size

I used to have all the 1/48 valks, right up to around just before the angelbird was released, also bought one VF-1S and VF-1A Max just so that i could have a VF-1S MAX, i was used to have three low vis ver 1.

Since then, i have cleared them all, due to it's fast discoloration. although it looks nice to have everything, but i didn't expect it to be "off white" so soon. Now i have only a VF-1J with GBP and that's it

For the 1/60, i only intend to keep the following

1. VF-1J Hikaru

2. VF-1D

3. VT-1

4. VE-1

Although 1/48 is nice i must agree, but the 1/60 2.0 seems a better size

The new 1/60 scale is most definitely a better size for displaying and if I had just gotten into the hobby I probably would not be concerned with 1/48 scale Valks.

Since I am a few thousand dollars invested in the 1/48 scale like others, I would like to get a feel from them as to what they plan to do with their collections. I like the new "Chunky Monkey" tag associated with the 1/48. I think they have enough quirks to qualify as not up to par for having the playability factor like the 1/55 Chunky Monkies, but we can not deny the engineering of the older toys; they were made to play with. The new 1/60's makes it obvious that the 1/48's and ver. 1 1/60's are dinosaurs stuck in the time they were created.

I have the old 1/60's in the VF-1D, VT-1, and VE-1, but I have even given thought to getting rid of these to make way for the new 1/60's...if they are release in 1/60 scale. We already know the Super Ostrich has been confirmed.

B))

When and if it's confirmed I'll probably get rid of them then.

What do I have in 1/48 scale still:

GBP x 3 (1 of each)

Super/Strike x 1

Super/Strike Stealth 1J

Super Hikaru 1J

Roy 1S

Max TV 1A

Low Vis 1A

Low Vis 2 1A

That's down from essentially every 1/48 except the DYRL specific releases (Kaki, Max, Hik 1A/1S)

I still like the 1/48s a lot but prefer the 1/60's size. I REALLY wish the new 1/60 hadn't screwed up the head position so bad. People bash Bandai's DX VF-25 but I think the wrong head placement Yamato did is more distracting. That said, it's more distracting because it's the ONE big flaw of the toy... like a super hot chick with a scary mole... sooner or later you're going to just stare at the mole. My plan for now is to keep all these 1/48s because I'll either need them to compare to new releases or I don't think they'll be done in the 1/60 scale.

Edited by jenius

I have all the 1/48s, and have all the version 2's either in hand or on preorder. I like both scales for different reasons, and will be keeping both.

I am definitely keeping the 1/48's, as they certainly have the presence that the smaller valks don't have, regardless of the refinements to their sculpt and engineering.

This way, I also have more display options. If my 1/48 DYRL VF-1A Hikaru is displayed FAST-packed in battroid mode, I can display the 1/60 version non-FAST-packed in fighter. Kind of a having your cake and eating it too sitution. :)

I just started collecting 4 or 5 months ago... I checked the Yamato's out on the internet and read the reviews and they seemed to be the best, but all I cared about was they were big and gorgeous, superbly detailed, and just freaking awesome!! My first was the 1/48 VF-1J Stealth, my wife got pretty irritated at me carrying it from room to room with me. :D The collection grew pretty quick, three from squid (VF-1A Max, Higgy,and camo ver 2), an Angelbird from a trade, and the crown jewel of my collection, My Vf-1S Hikaru and GBP custom painted by the legendary Kurt. I plan on picking up a few more here and there, like the Max and Miriya Super's. I know that as I get further into Macross I'll pick up some from other scales (I'm already eyeing the Elintseeker), but the 1/48's will always be my favorite. The way I see it, there will always be people unloading their 1/48's to get the new hotness, and then I can scoop them up and enjoy.

All my 1/48s have recently been removed from my display cabinet, cleaned and packed in plastic storage boxes that I bought specially for the purpose of storing them.

The V2 1/60 VF-1 has now completely replaced the 1/48 in my display cabinet.

There are three reasons I decided to stop displaying my 1/48s: -

1) The new 1/60 has 2-seaters (VT-1, VE-1 & VF-1D).

2) The new 1/60 takes up less space, so I can display more Valks.

3) All the PT Valks in my display cabinet (with the exception of the VB-6), are now in a consistant 1/60 scale.

Graham

I just started collecting 4 or 5 months ago... I checked the Yamato's out on the internet and read the reviews and they seemed to be the best, but all I cared about was they were big and gorgeous, superbly detailed, and just freaking awesome!! My first was the 1/48 VF-1J Stealth, my wife got pretty irritated at me carrying it from room to room with me. :D The collection grew pretty quick, three from squid (VF-1A Max, Higgy,and camo ver 2), an Angelbird from a trade, and the crown jewel of my collection, My Vf-1S Hikaru and GBP custom painted by the legendary Kurt. I plan on picking up a few more here and there, like the Max and Miriya Super's. I know that as I get further into Macross I'll pick up some from other scales (I'm already eyeing the Elintseeker), but the 1/48's will always be my favorite. The way I see it, there will always be people unloading their 1/48's to get the new hotness, and then I can scoop them up and enjoy.

Whatever happened to Kurt? I had him lined up for a custom job, but he just kind of disappeared into thin air. I don't think this guy's talent can be reproduced.

Kurt's busy and like all of us, being a customizer is a side job. He's got a life to as well, plus he's busy with a project right now 07baa27a.gif

Plus for those individual's who've known me for a while on the forum and have dealt with me.. you already know my answer regarding the 1/48's 96f0b971.gif

Whatever happened to Kurt? I had him lined up for a custom job, but he just kind of disappeared into thin air. I don't think this guy's talent can be reproduced.

Weird, no idea man, sorry. Possibly he's taking some rest? My interaction was only business, but he was a pleasure to work with. I'm pretty sure I stumbled across his work the same wine soaked night I found this site, and I knew right then that I really really wanted a 1/48, and better yet I wanted one of his works of art.

I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with the 1/60's, but damn man, the 1/48, it seems to be a great canvas for people to work on.

VT-1 was already publically announced and pictures were published in a recent issue of Macross Chronicles. This was scanned and posted in either the scoop thread or the 2-seater thread a few weeks ago already.

If VT-1 is coming, of course VE-1 is coming (and very nice too).

Graham

I have five of the 1/48's Roy, Max, Hikaru, Kakizaki and a CF VF-1A. 4 sets of 1/48 fast packs. Though the 2 seat versions were never made, I can live without that, Since I was about 9 y/o in 1985 when I first saw DYRL, I always wanted these particular Valkyries, I have them and will never let them go. The new Chunky my rear end!!

The detail is fantastic, I admit the chicken hands blow which is why I bought recasts instead. I've transformed these guys tons of times and have never has a single part break or a piece crack, So much like MacrossMan I am sold on these guys.

Will I ever buy the 1/60 V.2, sure I will in time, can't pass up the VF-1D, VE-1 & VT-1.

And as for the weathered $300.00+ aged/weathered 1/48's go, I'll learn to use an Airbrush machine!!! B))

VT-1 was already publically announced and pictures were published in a recent issue of Macross Chronicles. This was scanned and posted in either the scoop thread or the 2-seater thread a few weeks ago already.

If VT-1 is coming, of course VE-1 is coming (and very nice too).

Graham

Can someone direct me to this so called picture/scanned/posted?

While not having a huge 1/48 collection like some of you, I still see them as my main VF-1 pieces, and will probably stick with them for good. I like the bigger size, finer detail, and the shoulder/neck proportions better. The 1/60 ver.2 while nice and improved, doesn't feel different enough to buy everything all over again. I already have all the main VF-1 variants I want in 1/48 scale, so it should be enough to keep me happy. Can't say I won't ever buy a 1/60 ver.2 VF-1, but there isn't one that I felt like I have to have so far.

While 1/60 is the common scale across the M0, M+ and SDF lines, personally I would put together the larger models (1/48, M0, M+) together and regard them as of the same scale.

I found that it feels more natural (to me) to look at the 1/60 VF-0S standing aside the 1/48 VF-1S, then the 1/60 VF-0S with 1/60 VF-1S.

I would treat the SDF/DYRL 1/60 line of toys as a separate set.

Well, I'm keeping my 1/48's as I much rather prefer the size, scale, and presence. To me the 1/48 is almost like having the 1/48 UD Strike Valkyrie from Club-M, only in a form I can play with and admire further, due to it's ability to transform and interpret the visions of SDF incarnate.

Another reason why I much rather keep (and acuire more) 1/48s, is the availibility to customize these into something more. The larger scale lends itself to include more than what you can possibly do with any other scale. For instance, you can completely gut out a 1/48 and add more gimmicks, such as; rotating seats, ejection cockpit (done properly) highly detailed parts, etc. Unlike the other scales (not including the 1/55) where you have to pretty much just go as far as repainting it.

For me the 1/48 will always have a permanent place in my collection, just like the old original 1/55 "Chunky Monkey".

The 1/60 v.1 is nice, but lacks in every department. Still in some aspects, it does look pretty good, depending on the angle and specific parts.

The 1/60 v.2 is nice, but is overly compensating for the what the v.1 could never be, while attempting to look like a Hasegawa type toy and just looking more "neo-anime" than anything else. It's just not for me, if I wanted something to look like a revision of a VF-1 then this is what I would buy and collect.

1/48 VF-1 looks more at home with the larger 1/60s in my collection.

While I do have a v.2 1/60, it is set far apart from the others and sits comfortably with the Toynami Beta and the Alpha as it looks more in tune with those Robotech type examples.

1/48 is the only way to be. ;)

Edited by nightmareB4macross

1/48 definitely has more presence, but as I'm only displaying Macross toys and nothing else, I like to have all VFs in the same scale.

Graham

Presence is the key as many of you have stated. I was rearranging things in my display last night and took a look at the two 1/60's I have and that's when it struck me that the 1/48 has a profound presence. Molds, animae accuracy, etc. aside, the gargantuan size of the 1/48 just makes them stand out. As much as I like the new 1/60's, they can't hold their own displayed next to a 1/48 in my opinion.

NMB4M said he'll be getting more. If Yamato produces anything else in 1/48 scale I will more than likely be copping it.

Having everything in scale is cool and the 1/60's do make it easier to display more, but I only wish I had more space to display everything in 1/48.

I think what I will do is purchase more glass in 12" x 12" panels instead of the larger 14" x 14" and build a seperate display for my 1/60's.

My favorite Valk mode is Battroid, and I love the 1/48's over the new 1/60. Definitely keeping all the 1/48's as long as I can. I had picked up some extras to have customized someday, but we'll see. All the new 1/60's are staying in fighter mode as that is the mode I think they look better than the 1/48. As mentioned, the size of the 1/48's really makes them stand out, and considering I've never had a major QC problem with them, they are tops in my book.

I've got a few 1/48 valks, but i've since removed all of them from my shelves and sent them to the basement.

Going to replace my 1/48 line with the new 1/60's, for the same reasons some have already mentioned:

- They take up less space, thus more valks can be on display

Plus they look better, and are able to pull off better poses.

I'm still displaying my 1/48s because I have yet to buy any new 1/60s. Recently, I compared my DYRL Hikaru, Max and Roy to the Macross Chronicle TV Max, and got a shock of my life. The plastic on the DYRL 1/48s has yellowed slightly. Thankfully the yellowing is uniform throughout the valk. I think I'll stop at the 1/48s for now. I'm not sure if I want to put them back in storage for anything new, as this might yellow them further.

I need to make more money to buy an old salt mine to make my private storage cum showcase. :lol: