Yamato 1/60 VF-11B Thunderbolt - Thread 2

azrael

VF-11B was never made to fold on its on so it makes sense that the fold booster wouldn't fit. The 19 and 21 were the first fighters ever to fold on their own using an external system and they have been using that system for most valks afterwards.

Yeah, those boosters look very basic - little more than white cylinders. I know just the place to go look for some cheap space shuttle & rocket toys! :)

Just some quick calculations--

The VF-11B is 15.51m long and in 1/60 scale. From the lineart I'd guess that the solid rocket booster would be about 2/3 to 3/4 the length of the fighter i.e. about 10-12 m long

The SRB (Solid Rocket Booster) for the shuttle is 45.5m long (4 times longer than the VF-11B booster) hence you would need to steal the boosters off a 1/240 scale shuttle ideally. I've seen space shuttle kits (including the boosters which is what we need) that are 1/72, 1/144, 1/200 and one weird kit by revell that is in 1/288 scale--- I'd guess either the 1/200 kit or the 1/288 kit might do. I'm actually really tempted to try this! Will make further measurements once I get my VF-11B, which should be early may (expecting a late april release).

Hmm, I might just have to scratchbuild some boosters with my lathe...

I have the 1/72 Club-M boosters to use as reference, and they don't look they'd be too tough to machine. But I have a feeling that finding a good way of attaching them would be the hard part...

Just some quick calculations--

The VF-11B is 15.51m long and in 1/60 scale. From the lineart I'd guess that the solid rocket booster would be about 2/3 to 3/4 the length of the fighter i.e. about 10-12 m long

The SRB (Solid Rocket Booster) for the shuttle is 45.5m long (4 times longer than the VF-11B booster) hence you would need to steal the boosters off a 1/240 scale shuttle ideally. I've seen space shuttle kits (including the boosters which is what we need) that are 1/72, 1/144, 1/200 and one weird kit by revell that is in 1/288 scale--- I'd guess either the 1/200 kit or the 1/288 kit might do. I'm actually really tempted to try this! Will make further measurements once I get my VF-11B, which should be early may (expecting a late april release).

It seems like the 11's boosters are proportionally thicker than the shuttle's SRB's. What might work would be to use a larger scale shuttle, then cut the boosters in half. I am tempted by this idea as well...

I might just practice with a 1/72 11. I know a hobby store that has tons of NASA-type toys and model kits so I should be able to find something to work with. But I agree, the attachment point is going to be the hard part. Especially for someone like me who hasn't built anything before. :p

I might just practice with a 1/72 11. I know a hobby store that has tons of NASA-type toys and model kits so I should be able to find something to work with. But I agree, the attachment point is going to be the hard part. Especially for someone like me who hasn't built anything before. :p

Even then, it's the lower booster that will be trickier, as it will have to hold the weight up, while the upper booster can be cradled.

Rubber bands :p

I bit the bullet and pre-ordered it today......$280Can with shipping from Overdrive...........future prospects of protein rich food look slim. :(

The 11 is even more beautiful than i had imagined, all this detail, and i absolutely love the heatsheild gimmick.

First valk too to have the heatsheild ability down in fighter mode! (i'm looking at your VF-1!)

I loved in the final epi how Hikaru used the heatsheild on the 1S to cool down.

The prudent choice would be to wait and see if there's any glaring problems with the VF-11B. Personally, I've had really good luck with Yamato, and they seem to have improved in the QC area as far as I can tell. Still, better safe than sorry, right?

As far as recent QC goes, has there even been any reported breakages with any of the destroid line or the release of the VF-1D? If not, I hope the trend continues. They did fairly well with the SV-51 and extremely well with the YF-21 and then they slipped up some with the initial releases of the v2 VF-1s, but after that, I haven't really heard much else regarding any QC problems.

Yeah and the only problem I have had with my Destroids is that the ankles get a little loose overtime. I think 1 or 2 people here have reported a breakage there but that's it. I cant' recommend the Destroids enough. My Q-Rau on the other hand. Well it's worth just to have one but that's it. Especially since it doesn't come with the fig anymore and now that I have it I really wish it did. That cockpit looks really lonely without it.

So it's finally April.

ETA?

With release dates as far as japanese products go most of the time they are released on the very last day of the month. So if the VF-11B release date is on april expect to see it actually on most store shelves and online shops by the end of that given month. By the 29,30, or 31st of the month.

With release dates as far as japanese products go most of the time they are released on the very last day of the month. So if the VF-11B release date is on april expect to see it actually on most store shelves and online shops by the end of that given month. By the 29,30, or 31st of the month.

Hmm... Not necessarily true. VF-1D was released on Feb 21, VF-1S SSP (Hikaru) Dec 20 and VF-1J SP Nov 18. Tomahwak was on first of Oct.

Hmm... Not necessarily true. VF-1D was released on Feb 21, VF-1S SSP (Hikaru) Dec 20 and VF-1J SP Nov 18. Tomahwak was on first of Oct.

Maybe current release date trends are changing and happening sooner due to the turbulent world economy and wary reactions being done by companies to try and profit off of their products as soon as possible, just in case the economy takes a huge hit sometime down the line. This trend is also happening within the video game industry as many next gen titles are being rushed onto store shelves sooner than their expected release date because of fears of a looming economic depression.

Most of those releases you mentioned are simple repaints of the same mold too. Its not that difficult for a company to repaint a product of the same mold so I can understand why they might come out sooner...

I was just looking at the pics on page 7 again and I was curious what this arrow is pointing to and what it was saying. Anyone know?

post-10222-1238890961_thumb.jpg

The photo is pointing out the orange "Macross Marker" that you will need to color the heat shield and other orange markings on the VF-11. It's sort of an homage to the do-it-yourself cutout heatshield on the 1/72 version. ;)

Edited by eriku