With my mind WIDE open...

Lacerta

I read a topic a few days ago that sparked some curiosity; that is, "the majority opinion" is that Macross 7 "sucked." I had torrented the whole series after I downloaded Frontier and Plus, but put it on the back burner. After reading that topic, I figured, why not find out for myself.

I'm finished with episode 35, and it isn't nearly what I thought it was. Basara is probably the only part that's irritated me, and I find it hard to sympathize with him if something bad happens. Mylene is a fun character, but why was she only 14? Gamlin has a long wait in store for sure! The music is catchy and of course I heard the songs Ozma Lee played in Frontier. The Sound Force idea made me think of some Super Sentai series, and at any moment the Valkyries would form some giant Super Sound Valkyrie. :blink:

There are few moments in any show that make me laugh out loud, but I think this scene here had me on the floor:

post-3702-1232954728_thumb.png

I sort of know what happens in Macross 7, but try not to spoil me *too* much.

Actually... in Japan (and some other countries in Asia), it is quite common for people with colds to wear masks when they go outside. It's good manners, 'cuz they don't want to pass the virus on.

See http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...06091733AAoH4Bc

Therefore, she's being rather inconspicious.

Don't let what a lot of people say fool you, Keith is right, Mac7 is a great show. You just got to give it a try with an open mind while knowing that it isn't supposed to be like the other Macross shows, but a show about a rock band with mecha action mixed into it. I for one became an official Fire Bomber fan thanks to this show.

BOMBAA!!

I would have enjoyed Macross 7 much more if planet dance wouldn't have had that horrible harmonica intro out of nowhere.

The fact that Basara started that song 5 times in every episodes makes it extra grating.

Yeah...the versions on Radio Fire!!, Ultra Fire!!!, and Fukuyama Fire!!! don't have the harmonica, and are better for it.

But, y'know, although I didn't like Planet Dance the first time I heard it, it's been about fourteen years since I first watched Macross 7...and I like the song now. Reminds me of the mid '90s, which were some pretty good times.

I love Mylene's voice---it's just always tempered by Basara singing too... (and often, only Basara---the few times you get to hear Mylene-only, it's great)

If you like Mylene's singing voice, you should check out Chie Kajiura's albums; her first one ("Loophole") is especially good...mildly psychedelic and '60s flavored in that '90s sort of way.

M7 is certainly not without it's flaws, but it's definitely thoroughly entertaining, and as you've found out, one of the funniest Macross series.

Basara was annoying, but I liked him alot of times just as I disliked him. My favorite would have to be when Basara fired the humongous speaker pods at Gepelnich's ship and doing the Holy Lonely Light intro SHOUT.

BOMBAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

I tried three or four times before I got all the way through it. I got annoyed with it initially because it wasn't following a conventional narrative path but neither do SDF:M or M:F. It was easy to dismiss the animation and mecha designs when viewing the grainy tv captured versions.

Current viewers have the advantage of the new remastered DVD rips. It's a long journey of discovery, but it's worth it to understand the context of Macross Zero and Macross Frontier.

And the music has grown alot on me over the years though I still prefer Macross II songs and the Frontier OST

Macross 7 is enjoyable and worth watching, though I frankly wouldn't recommend it to anyone but an existing Macross fan that's either seen it all and needs a new fix, is a hardcore J-rock fan too, or thought the original TV series was a bit too adult and gritty.

Some is stylistic: it's more a kids' show than other Macross installments, which isn't a condemnation, but I wasn't a kid when I encountered it so it meant it had less for me to appreciate as a sci-fi show or a war story than the original(which I also encountered as an adult.) I also did not care for Basara, but others seem to disagree, and in any case Mylene is as much the protagonist as he is so I could let him slide.

Past that I found the music to be good, the characters entertaining, and the comedy well-executed. The part that's harder to get around is the length. In terms of plot, music, and budget, Macross 7 is 25-30 episodes of content in a 49 episode box. Further, the episodes which are mostly filler are all clustered near the front, making it hard to get started on the series. All in all, I'm glad I finally made it through 7 on my third attempt, but I can't give it a ringing endorsement either.

In a trenchcoat, beret and shades?

Even Japanese media use it for the robber image.

To be fair, I don't think that's the big problem, so much as the pink hair and Gubaba on the shoulder.

But given her father successfully used an upturned collar it to camouflage a VF-1A, she may have a genetic gift for stealth in spite of her hair.

Reminds me of the mid '90s, which were some pretty good times.

Ah - the mid-nineties. The one time in my youth that I STILL haven't revisisted. Must go to Switzerland soon and relive that beautiful time...

Er - anyways - yeah - Macross 7 - good show. Bassara is annoying but I honestly think you have to just accept that this is the way the character was written. He is not written to be liked - he is written to be stubborn and laughed at and PERSIST for 49 episodes in his "insanity" and WIN. If Basara was "likeable" then the show would not have had the same impact.

But given her father successfully used an upturned collar it to camouflage a VF-1A, she may have a genetic gift for stealth in spite of her hair.

Aww... that's a cute thought :)

They need to make a nice statue of the VF-1A in Zendradi coat and Mylene in that disguise next to it "Father and Daughter" or something like that :)

Anyways - she always reminded me of Michael Jackson when she looked like that :)

Enjoy the show. I have personally gotten somewhat distanced from it - and I agree with the comment that 49 episodes is way to long. They really should have made a Movie compilation and just hit on the main themes (of which there were like...er...two? One really.) and it would have been better.

Still - it's an adventure and the music is great :)

Pete

Thanks for all the replies! I'm finished with all 49 episodes and the "movie," so by tomorrow I should have all the encores and Dynamite 7 watched.

Er - anyways - yeah - Macross 7 - good show. Bassara is annoying but I honestly think you have to just accept that this is the way the character was written. He is not written to be liked - he is written to be stubborn and laughed at and PERSIST for 49 episodes in his "insanity" and WIN. If Basara was "likeable" then the show would not have had the same impact.

Although I understand this reasoning behind his character being unlikeable, I might have gone about it differently. I didn't like Sheryl Nome when I first saw her, but as Macross Frontier went on, I sympathized with her condition. Maybe a bit more backstory on Basara's past would have shed light on why he's such a jerk.

They need to make a nice statue of the VF-1A in Zendradi coat and Mylene in that disguise next to it "Father and Daughter" or something like that :)

I would totally buy that! Can't forget the stealthy shades on Gubaba either! B))

Enjoy the show. I have personally gotten somewhat distanced from it - and I agree with the comment that 49 episodes is way to long. They really should have made a Movie compilation and just hit on the main themes (of which there were like...er...two? One really.) and it would have been better.

Still - it's an adventure and the music is great :)

Pete

Yeah 49 episodes is quite the marathon. There's only so much recycled footage of Diamond Force/Emerald Force taking off (and enemy craft sucking Spiritia) one can handle. It is great seeing characters from past series doing new things, like Max, Millia and Exsedol.

Always good to see more Mac 7 fans.

Never understood the Basara hate. I can imagine Mac 7 haters dislike him for being a musician fighter pilot with little background. Oddly, M7 fans don't like him much either. I see a free spirited pacifist with an obession for music with no regard for being punctual but not a jerk.

In comparison to the other male lead characters I'd say Isamu and Alto are far bigger jerks but they don'' seem to generate the hate Basara does :blink:

Edited by Bri

Never understood the Basara hate. I can imagine Mac 7 haters dislike him for being a musician fighter pilot with little background. Oddly, M7 fans don't like him much either. I see a free spirited pacifist with an obession for music with no regard for being punctual but not a jerk.

In comparison to the other male lead characters I'd say Isamu and Alto are far bigger jerks but they don'' seem to generate the hate Basara does :blink:

That was sorta the thing, his persistence. He was placed as a "hate the military, hate fighting even when it's protecting people" sort of character who sings at the enemy in hopes it will work. Eventually, it does work: not because of his perseverance, because a new type of enemy that is literally harmed by his singing appears some 15 or 20 episodes after. Even then, it only works sometimes: other times it's an enemy only missiles can stop, though he still treats the people who fight with missiles with, at best, indifference. Sometimes it only works because the mad scientist made him special new gear to let his song accomplish something. He wasn't exactly communicative with the scientific crew either. Or anyone: he doesn't communicate much at all unless he wants to sing at them. I say "at them" and not "to them" as a deliberate distinction between his approach to music and that of other Macross musicians, importantly. His perseverance both as a person and at an artist is such that he doesn't really move or change or make connections with people: people eventually seem to get used to him because the plot makes him succeed, but that's an entirely one-sided process that feels more like some crazy Stockholm Syndrome than it does any true sort of mutual understanding.

If I had to sum up Basara in a sentence it would be "Singing Kaifun saves the day!" That is somewhat of an unfair oversimplification, perhaps, but it also sums up what about him makes me want to bother writing a rant like this: between his aggressive, unsympathetic approach and his lack of ever making the critical Macross distinction between fighting when you're given no choice and fighting when peace is an option. He feels like a static character that would have been a roadblocking troublemaker had the plot not been carefully engineered to make him fall into greatness. Alto was a jerk, I'll grant, but he softened up and tried to communicate more; Isamu perhaps I forgive because there wasn't a war on during his aggressive thrillseeking, and because four episodes isn't as much time for character development as 49.

Although I understand this reasoning behind his character being unlikeable, I might have gone about it differently. I didn't like Sheryl Nome when I first saw her, but as Macross Frontier went on, I sympathized with her condition. Maybe a bit more backstory on Basara's past would have shed light on why he's such a jerk.

But the whole reason we don't have a backstory on Bassara is because he is trying to be an idol. Idols are like Gods - they don't have "back stories" - they aren't like all the "little people" and they don't need to explain themselves to anyone - they give you a simple choice: worship them or frown.

Giving Basara a backstory would have made him more human, sure. But it would also detract from his artistic appearence.

I can imagine Mac 7 haters dislike him for being a musician fighter pilot with little background. Oddly, M7 fans don't like him much either. I see a free spirited pacifist with an obession for music with no regard for being punctual but not a jerk.

I think fans don't like him AS A PERSON. And no wonder - he's no exactly amicable. I mean - he's so determined that no matter what the setting is, he's only focused on perfecting his music, and he has absolutely no regard to the feelings or desires of people around him - because he thinks his "mission" is so important, so urgent that everything else is petty. He makes people feel like loosers because while there is war and pain in the galaxy, people still have the gaul to have their own personal lives and think that their "problems" actually matter. Bassara is like a cold shower and a slap in the face.

Fans can respect his virtue, but the guy would NOT be easy to like.

If I had to sum up Basara in a sentence it would be "Singing Kaifun saves the day!" That is somewhat of an unfair oversimplification, perhaps, but it also sums up what about him makes me want to bother writing a rant like this: between his aggressive, unsympathetic approach and his lack of ever making the critical Macross distinction between fighting when you're given no choice and fighting when peace is an option. He feels like a static character that would have been a roadblocking troublemaker had the plot not been carefully engineered to make him fall into greatness.

I understand the sentiment you're expressing, but I would point out a couple of things:

1) Comparing Basara and Kaifun is unfair to Basara. Kaifun never went out into the battle field, risking his life, trying to convert people through non-violent means towards pacifism. Bassara did.

2) Bassara DOES acknowledge the importance of protecting lives during a battle - he just is super-logical about it and realizes that ALL lives need to be protected, not just those of "his side" - and his goal is to save everybody from war.

3) Yes, he is aggressive and unsympathetic - but his "aggression" is not really something that comes from him - it is the burning reaction that arises in the hearts of people who can't be as great as he is and who don't have the courage to stand by their convinctions and really risk their lives to protect others. Bassara makes other people jealous and envious and they get angry - and there is a tense vibe in the air - and thus the aggression. As to "unsympathetic" - like I wrote prior - this is because he is a walking reminder to all of us that the mundane "problems" we put up with in our peaceful, free society are trivial and people are dying and suffering NOW and only he is doing something to stop the war.

4) Bassara does make the distinction between peace and fithing when there's no choice. That's why he instinctively launches a missile at the Protodevilin when they don't warm to his music.

Then, the next day, he decides to take the missiles out of his Valkyrie in spite of Rey's advise.

Why?

Because he knows that if he's going to succeed, he can't have this "pragmatic" approach of "well I'll try my best to sing a song that's more powerful than missiles - but just in case I'll splatter my opponent's brains" - no - Bassara HAS TO sing a song that's more powerful then missiles.

And to do that - he has to give up the self-evident instincts of self-preservation and the entire moral rational of self-defense.

Notice that he never forces anybody ELSE to give up their right to self-defense. He is not so concieted as to sit around enjoying his fairly wealthy life and spit upon soldiers who protect that wealthy life.

If anything - quite the opposite - he goes into the front line WITH the soldiers and does everything he can to PROTECT THEM.

But they are so blinded by the passions of war and the hard hatred for the enemy that develops when people start to die - not to mention by the morality and feelings of self-preservation - that they don't understand that Basara is doing it for them - not against them.

Pete

LOL KR you don't get Basara at all.

As a kid Basara wanted to move that mountain with his song.

Not that he hates the military. Heck they were his sponsors. He was cool with Gamlin.

The mountain metaphorically speaking is people's hearts and creation around him.

This is the same guy who sang to a fleet of Meltrans and Space Whales.

The difference between Basara and Kaifun is this.

Kaifun is motivated by rationalized hate, Basara is motivated by irrational love.

2) Bassara DOES acknowledge the importance of protecting lives during a battle - he just is super-logical about it and realizes that ALL lives need to be protected, not just those of "his side" - and his goal is to save everybody from war.

That's the important distinction: protecting lives, ending fighting, those were afterthoughts as well through so much of it. When Basara would sing to the enemy, when they flew off he wasn't relieved the fighting was over, he was upset he'd lost his audience. Even the first time when it wasn't apparent they'd just keep coming back. Even getting him to help save the colony from falling into a star was almost as hard as getting him to fire missiles: fortunately, his singing was detected by Battle 7, but this was through no intention or expectation of his own, rather just an accidental fall into success.

When he did have an audience, it's not like that necessarily meant anything either: he wanted them to come to him on entirely his terms too and if those weren't good enough then he got petulant about it: wanting people to listen to his songs, but not wanting to do take any steps to them. Sure, sure, Basara sang trying to move the mountains, but if the way he did it showed any love for the mountains, it sure wasn't a very sympathetic sort of affection.

I do understand that Basara was meant as a free spirit and independent thinker, I just think that the execution, specifically the mix of personal inflexibility and plot contrivance surrounding him, severely compromises him being an admirable and understandable person in the end result.

The whole idea behind Bassara is the triumph of idealism over pragmatism. Which is what makes Macross 7 such a great children's show, but probably doesn't endear itself to some people out there. The basic premise is, if you are sure your idea is right, then just keep plugging away at it and eventually things will work out alright and you'll be a hero. Of course, if everybody was a Bassara, society would collapse and anarchy would result. Why do people actually like him? Probably because he represents that indomitable inner child that everybody has, the one that insists that the world would be perfect if everyone did things your way.

Edited by edwin3060

<snip>

If I had to sum up Basara in a sentence it would be "Singing Kaifun saves the day!" That is somewhat of an unfair oversimplification, perhaps, but it also sums up what about him makes me want to bother writing a rant like this: between his aggressive, unsympathetic approach and his lack of ever making the critical Macross distinction between fighting when you're given no choice and fighting when peace is an option. He feels like a static character that would have been a roadblocking troublemaker had the plot not been carefully engineered to make him fall into greatness. Alto was a jerk, I'll grant, but he softened up and tried to communicate more; Isamu perhaps I forgive because there wasn't a war on during his aggressive thrillseeking, and because four episodes isn't as much time for character development as 49.

Interesting points. Main difference between Kaifun and Basara for me is that Basara doesn't like the concept of fighting and the military but doesn't blame soldiers individually, while Kaifun is rude to individuals like Hikaru and Misa. Also Basara isn't a hypocrite and goes out to do as he preaches.

Main difference between Basara and the other Macross singers like Minmey, Ranka and Sheryl is that Basara lives for his music and nothing else (art pour l'art) while the others are stars. They have a responsiblity to their fans while Basara does not. A bit like comparing Bob Dylan versus Beyonce/Shakira/Winehouse and co.

<snip>

I think fans don't like him AS A PERSON. And no wonder - he's no exactly amicable. I mean - he's so determined that no matter what the setting is, he's only focused on perfecting his music, and he has absolutely no regard to the feelings or desires of people around him - because he thinks his "mission" is so important, so urgent that everything else is petty. He makes people feel like loosers because while there is war and pain in the galaxy, people still have the gaul to have their own personal lives and think that their "problems" actually matter. Bassara is like a cold shower and a slap in the face.

Fans can respect his virtue, but the guy would NOT be easy to like.

<snip>

Pete

Very insightful discussion about Basara's role, thanks.

As for the non amicable part. Basara doesn't waste time with small talk but he is understanding of others and shows kindness. Afaik he is never rude or unpleasant to people unless they want or expect him to do something he doesn't agree with or simply rules in general. He doesn't fake interest as that is impossible for a character that is as sincere and upfront as he is. I find that refreshing characteristics. If people feel like losers around him, isn't that a hell of their own making?