11 hours ago, 505thAirborne said:

Not too shabby, it's definitely a one of a kind. 

Well, not so much now. 😅

I feel sorry for whoever paid $2000 for a 3D-printed prototype that anyone can make an exact duplicate of now. 😳

2 hours ago, tekering said:

Well, not so much now. 😅

I feel sorry for whoever paid $2000 for a 3D-printed prototype that anyone can make an exact duplicate of now. 😳

I don’t feel bad for that person. At least he’s got the packaging. I really don’t think it would have been much of a collector ms item anyway. Nobody has really heard of that toy company. He’ll probably get his money back as long as he knows the right person to buy it

It's an official licensed RT product right?? Or am I saying something stupid. 

I don't like it, I'm waiting for the inevitable Moscato Spartas. But this "hover tank" is one of a kind in the RT merchandise world. So it has some vale.

John can do the Spartas during his sleep so it will blow this rendtion out of the water.

1 hour ago, Ignacio Ocamica said:

It's an official licensed RT product right?? Or am I saying something stupid. 

The MEP prototype that was sold at auction on eBay would have been, had it been completed and green-lit for production and sale.

I'm not sure how selling the .stl files would be classified... esp. if the licensee they were made for is getting out of the franchise. 🤷‍♂️

I don't like it, I'm waiting for the inevitable Moscato Spartas. But this "hover tank" is one of a kind in the RT merchandise world. So it has some vale.

It was one-of-a-kind... but now that the .stl files used to prototype it are in the wild, well, I wouldn't be surprised if the person who paid over two grand for the poor-quality physical prototype that anyone can now recreate for about $40 between the cost of the .stl and printer filament feels a bit scammed.

John can do the Spartas during his sleep so it will blow this rendtion out of the water.

That's the great advantage of model kits... they can be a lot more screen accurate since they don't have to make most of the concessions that come with transforming.

2 hours ago, strikevalk said:

Hi guys, here's my WIP so far... still learning as I go! 

That reminds me of the "Missing Link" Optimus Prime toy:

NEOGDS-675116.jpg

Adding articulation does nothing to improve the awkward proportions of the original toy, nor does it make it any more accurate to the animation model.

It's not the "desecration of a classic toy" some bemoan it to be, but it's hardly a significant improvement, either... 😐

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

It looks a bit floppy, but I chalk that up to a natural byproduct of hand-made variable models. I'll give him credit: it's the best rendition I've seen in 3D so far.

5 hours ago, tekering said:

NEOGDS-675116.jpg

Adding articulation does nothing to improve the awkward proportions of the original toy, nor does it make it any more accurate to the animation model.

It's not the "desecration of a classic toy" some bemoan it to be, but it's hardly a significant improvement, either... 😐

Yes, that has crossed my mind, trust me.  I've mentioned the missing Link Convoy as an example... like you mentioned, to various people.  Oh wells, i'm pretty much at the point of no return now... 

TBH, I do like how its progressing.  Much better than the stiff brick that it was prior.  :)

14 hours ago, tekering said:

NEOGDS-675116.jpg

I actually have that on preorder. Been dreaming of this for 40+ years! :D

5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

I actually have that on preorder. Been dreaming of this for 40+ years! :D

Same.

Is some other design probably a better Optimus? Sure, even if your tastes aren't "Sunbow or die". I've been quite fond of a few Optimii over the years. 

Is this the best the original toy will ever be, and the thing I thought was around as a kid? Heck yeah!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Swann said:

CROSRT.jpg

FRANCE.jpg

I miss not having these kits. I remember seeing that some of the kits having a die-cast Southern Cross emblem key chain as part of the kit. I ended up giving away all of my Southern Cross models to a close friend. 

image0 (6).jpeg

Edited by shazam

On 12/25/2023 at 8:32 PM, CoryHolmes said:

I want!

But I have no printer and no modelling skills.  So I will lust from afar!

Never fret!  I just started a few months ago!  An exacto knife and some styrene.. some paint.. learn as you go!  I don't know how to 3D print either, I found a buddy online that just happened to make a cool Bowie and gun!  It's never too late to start my friend!

2 hours ago, jenius said:

Wasn't there a much better looking cover in the original series?

I thought the whole point was to show that the Hover Tank had a cowl and not from where or when it had one.

cowl.jpg

Edited by shazam