Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread IV *Read 1st Post*

azrael

I thought it would have been interesting if the 25F was the basic model. The only main char. we see with a traditional A-style head was Michel, who had the sniper thing going on. Just think, would it not have been a nifty device if the protagonist was flying a CF for the whole series?

Indeed, but it would go against convention since the -25F has a "J" style head. Kawamori seems to keep to his conventions as he can. The -0S had only two cannons but at least it looked like an S-style head. The -25S has a quad-cannon head.

I asked about CFs because of the -25G having the A-style head but not being a proper cannon fodder. Sounds like the "-25A" should be the G's head without all the fancy sniper equipment.

I hope Bandai comes out with more of the models. I don't see why they wont, unless they hate Macross. They can release every single variation of Gundam seen and unseen, so it wouldn't kill them to make stuff like the Full Armor -25S and the CFs. :D

Vostok 7

I thought it would have been interesting if the 25F was the basic model. The only main char. we see with a traditional A-style head was Michel, who had the sniper thing going on. Just think, would it not have been a nifty device if the protagonist was flying a CF for the whole series?

that would be a little boring though. if the main guy spent the whole show flying a valk that looked exactly the same as every other aircraft.

(technically shin and isamu both used CF valks)

ok, this is something that's been bothering me. the CF VF-25's are shown to have the same head as the -25G. and the sniper rifle is shown to not be exclusive to the 25G either (Michel's sister was using the same gun in a VF-171 during the flash backs) and considering alto used the rifle at the end as well, it doesn't look like the 25 needs to be modified in order to operate the gun. so really the only thing that's unique to the VF-25G is the grappling hook thing. unless I'm missing something.

and another thing. where the heck does the grappling hook on the 25G store? every time it was used, all they show is the thing hitting a random asteroid then the valk being drawn in.

I've never seen the grappling hook retracted on the valk anywhere.

ok, this is something that's been bothering me. the CF VF-25's are shown to have the same head as the -25G. and the sniper rifle is shown to not be exclusive to the 25G either (Michel's sister was using the same gun in a VF-171 during the flash backs) and considering alto used the rifle at the end as well, it doesn't look like the 25 needs to be modified in order to operate the gun. so really the only thing that's unique to the VF-25G is the grappling hook thing. unless I'm missing something.

and another thing. where the heck does the grappling hook on the 25G store? every time it was used, all they show is the thing hitting a random asteroid then the valk being drawn in.

I've never seen the grappling hook retracted on the valk anywhere.

Maybe the G has some specialized targeting software/hardware as well? Alto could probably fire the weapon, just not with as much accuracy as Michael. The alternative, of course, was that Michael was the cannon fodder i.e. blue is the new CF colour which is why only he, out of the 4 VF-25s, got killed (albeit out of his VF) :p

Hopefully the Bandai DX that is coming out in March sheds some light on the spike/grappling hook.

I freeze-framed the grappling hook being fired several times. PURE anime magic. It simply appears, full-sized and fully formed, from the side of the chest, a bit below the armpit. No hatch, it doesn't fold up to fit anywhere--it's simply missing one frame, then appears in the next.

I freeze-framed the grappling hook being fired several times. PURE anime magic. It simply appears, full-sized and fully formed, from the side of the chest, a bit below the armpit. No hatch, it doesn't fold up to fit anywhere--it's simply missing one frame, then appears in the next.

Hmm oh well. Bandai could still include it as a cable and spike additional part though, like they have done on some of their Seed, Destiny or 00 model kits. Well, if they made the effort I would be impressed.

It had been mentioned that Mikhail's 25G has specialized optical equipment in the head unit which allows for greater accuracy with the rifle. As said before, nothing stops Alto from firing the gun, but Mikhail (or Klan in the case of that episode) might have been able to do it better. However as Grace in ep. 25 was basically a non-moving target it is not like it would be hard for Alto to miss.

that's what I thought, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something

I don't believe this has been asked yet (athough, I may be wrong) but is the Macross Quarter a one-of-a-kind, or some sort of SMS project (may be another test and evaluation contract) for a new line of Macross-style ships?

Maybe I'm just confused, because to me it's role seems to go back and forth; between being the "cool ship" for the SMS flyboys, and being the defacto stand-in for Battle Frontier in many (if not most) of the series tactical operations.

I don't believe this has been asked yet (athough, I may be wrong) but is the Macross Quarter a one-of-a-kind, or some sort of SMS project (may be another test and evaluation contract) for a new line of Macross-style ships?

Maybe I'm just confused, because to me it's role seems to go back and forth; between being the "cool ship" for the SMS flyboys, and being the defacto stand-in for Battle Frontier in many (if not most) of the series tactical operations.

The way it is used seems to be as some sort of vanguard-- capable of reconnaissance in force or reconnaissance by fire, without risking Battle Frontier, which is the flagship of the fleet.

The reason that mercenaries are used in this role seems to be a combination of a downsizing of the NUN Spacy compared to the UN Spacy, and the increased autonomy that immigration fleet governments seem to have.

It had been mentioned that Mikhail's 25G has specialized optical equipment in the head unit which allows for greater accuracy with the rifle. As said before, nothing stops Alto from firing the gun, but Mikhail (or Klan in the case of that episode) might have been able to do it better. However as Grace in ep. 25 was basically a non-moving target it is not like it would be hard for Alto to miss.

Do you mean Michael Blanc??? B))

Do you mean Michael Blanc??? B))

Uh... yes. Not sure what you are implying there. If it is the name spelling I use different ones every time because he has like 3 different spellings of his name and two different pronunciations in the show.

Uh... yes. Not sure what you are implying there. If it is the name spelling I use different ones every time because he has like 3 different spellings of his name and two different pronunciations in the show.

Well he's officially Michael Blanc with Michel as his nick-name.

How the Japanese VA's pronounced it is really no longer an issue since the proper name has been published. ;)

Well he's officially Michael Blanc with Michel as his nick-name.

How the Japanese VA's pronounced it is really no longer an issue since the proper name has been published. ;)

Semantics... I have used both Michael and Michel before, so it matters not.

So I know its been asked around before, I ran a search but I have a more specific question. The secondary engines of the VF-4, I know there are no official stats on them; however i am trying to get a ball park of what the true thrust of a VF-4 with all engines burning. I reason its some kind of plasma rocket. In order to impart the VF-4 with a competitive thrust to weight ratio with a standard load you would only need a rocket that pumps out a little over a third the power of the of the rockets they slapped on the back of the VF-1.

Basically each of those behemoths in a fast pack pump out 120,000 kg of thrust but they have to compensate for all the extra weight so they pull a 6:1ish ratio out of the thing. So I figured if competitive is meeting or slightly exceeding the VF-1 w/FAST pack, then that thrust to weight ratio is what i needed to ball park it from. So using Mr.Marches benchmark for take off weight I figure the VF-4 comes in at around 20 mt, well that if my math is right requires 120,000 kg of thrust to get 6:1. The turbines on a VF-4 pump out a total of 28,000 kg, so that means you only need to add 92,000 kg or rather 46,000 kg for each. I'd make it 50,000 just to it could out pace a VF-1S.

So I ask is this a fair assumption as long as I don't quote it as official?

I always thought that those engines on the VF-4 were smaller TN turbines used for gerwalk and as a boost in fighter. Guess I figured that was why those intakes on the inner wing roots were there for, to feed the upper engines. (I know that most if not all VFs have had those intakes and more than anything they are there just because SK thinks they're cool but anyways...) Never thought of them as a type of internal rocket system, wonder what everyone else will say?

As the VF-4 is listed has having a pair of 14,000 or 16,500kg engines, having a set of 50,000kg rockets with you always sure would give a kick if you needed it.

humm... Now I'm seeing the last fight from M Zero when they all have their FAST packs going and leaving the trails of smoke/contrails but with VF-4s, man I REALLY need a 'All That VF' for the Lightning now. :D

Try here: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%A9%E3%...83%BC%E3%82%BA)

I've been poking at it for RPG stats and I noticed some interesting, previously unknown info on the VF-4 in there.

Also, the latest issue of Model Graphix states that the VF-4 has six (6!) engines.

2x thermonuclear turbine engines

2x rocket engines

2x ramjets (!!! I'm tempted to think that it's an error. But it would explain the inner wing root intakes and gaps in their rears)

Ah - forgot to add: the wikipedia article states that the VF-4 is equal (in thrust, I believe) to a VF-1 with FAST packs, but has better performance/manueverability as it doesn't have the weight of the packs.

Posting this here since the OP didn't listen to me the first time:

in macross 7 has fleet of ships for food and repairs. macross frontier has all of the in the lsland attacted to the macross so when they start the lsland system?

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what prompted moving the "eye" sensor of the Ghost... is it just to differeniate it from the X-9/V-9? Having it at the very tip of the nose seemed like it was the optimal placement.

Its a nod to the QF-2001 and QF-3000E Ghosts.

X-9 and its kids the AIF-9B (VF X-2) and V-9 has been shown to be employed by bad guys.

Some notes from the DVD/Blu-Ray vol. 5 liner notes:

Vajra carrier is called a "Knight-class". The larger Vajra ship is referred to as a "Bishop-class". Note: I'm guessing these are strictly human designations considering they still label them "Vajra carrier" and "Vajra ship" kinda like the bee-analogy, where we have drones, workers, and queens. Between Vajra, it's probably a "Hey, you!".

Dimension Eater is a fold bomb that works similar to a black hole.

And Michel was using Fold speakers.

Vajra carrier is called a "Knight-class". The larger Vajra ship is referred to as a "Bishop-class". Note: I'm guessing these are strictly human designations considering they still label them "Vajra carrier" and "Vajra ship" kinda like the bee-analogy, where we have drones, workers, and queens. Between Vajra, it's probably a "Hey, you!".

Dimension Eater is a fold bomb that works similar to a black hole.

And Michel was using Fold speakers.

Good stuff. I've updated the Macropedia, Macross Frontier index, the VF-25 entires and the Vajra ships. Thanks yet again azrael!

Back in 1987, Shoji Kawamori wrote on VF-4 detail design sheets for the Musas[h]iya 1/72 VF-4 fighter mode kit which had the words the words 'ram air nozzle' and 'ram wing nozzle'. The ram wing nozzles can move up and down to act as air brakes.

There is a lot of BS on that Wikipedia entry. I am compiling a VF-4 entry here. Remember to look to the Macross Compendium or the site below:

www.macrossmecha.info

Try here: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%A9%E3%...83%BC%E3%82%BA)

I've been poking at it for RPG stats and I noticed some interesting, previously unknown info on the VF-4 in there.

Also, the latest issue of Model Graphix states that the VF-4 has six (6!) engines.

2x thermonuclear turbine engines

2x rocket engines

2x ramjets (!!! I'm tempted to think that it's an error. But it would explain the inner wing root intakes and gaps in their rears)

How about the Vajra Rook, Pawn and Queen class?? B))

Taksraven

Ok let me get this straight. The YF-24 was Shinsei Industries baby. Whose breakthrough technologies would be used for the LAI VF-25 and Macross Galaxy VF-27.

The VF-24 is jointly developed by both Shinsei and General Galaxy.

So the YF-24 project evolved into three finished product lines. The VF-24, VF-25 and the VF-27.

The absence of a VF-26 can be explained it is considered some what a bad luck number.

13+13=26 Given the history with the fate of Megaroad 13 and Battle 13 it is understanble superstition.