Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread IV *Read 1st Post*

azrael

No idea--it would make most sense if it were just an animation feature to illustrate the slave control of Alto's VF so that they could drag it out to him, but given the precedent of the cables dragging Varja carcasses back to Battle frontier, it could just as well have been cables.

The precedent was established in Mac 7 with the "Milky Road"... :rolleyes:

Maybe they are, but the "fins" are covering the connection. Nevertheless, the fleet looks like a combination of the M7 and M25 types. Perhaps all of the Island class ships were added some time during it's voyages? Or maybe it's the prototype of the Island Cluster Class type?

From my understanding the Macross 11 is a city built on entertainment (home to Lynn Kaifun), thus the decorations and other visual goodies.

I could be wrong...

So, in other words, whatever those spiky things are, chances are good that Kaifun's complaining about them and wants them taken off, right?

So, in other words, whatever those spiky things are, chances are good that Kaifun's complaining about them and wants them taken off, right?

More than likely, how the citizens of Macross 11 haven't rioted and had him burned at the steak I cannot imagine.

Well how many brits and americans survived space war 1? There certainly were only a miniscule amount on the SDF-1 and most of Earths survivors were sheltered in the Grand Cannons in Brazil, Africa and Alaska. Alaska was completely destroyed so Earths post-war population is likely made up mostly of Brazilians, Africans and Asians.

I don't expect a lot of diversity in the all-english Macross 11.

Edited by DarkReaper

Well how many brits and americans survived space war 1? There certainly were only a miniscule amount on the SDF-1 and most of the earth survivors were sheltered in the Grand Cannons in Brazil, Africa and Alaska. And as alaska was destroyed means that earths post-war population is likely made up mostly of brazilians, africans and asians.

I don't expect a lot of diversity in the all-english Macross 11.

I never got the impression that ANY of the main characters in SDFM were American (Global's Italian, I believe Claudia and Max are French, Kim's Russian...maybe Vanessa or Shammy? Justy Borgnine, possibly?), so I always got the feeling that a lot of America was already wiped out during the Unification Wars.

But Macross 11 doesn't have to be Brits and Americans...it might mostly be Aussies and Kiwis (who not only stole Fire Bomber songs, but also took the "Do You Remember Love" Movie and redubbed it into English...TA-DA! Finally, an in-universe explanation for Clash of the Bionoids!)

Roy Fokker was american.

Australia would have been a prime candidate but their grand cannon was already sabotaged by the anti-un so I don't know where else they could have sheltered. I don't think normal bomb shelters are sufficiently armored to survive an orbital bombardment of such a scale.

Damn it, there should be some official background on post-space war 1 Earth. Do we even know if there are other cities than Macross city on earth?

Some small settlements sure but large cities?

Edited by DarkReaper

Claudia was actually an American that just happened to have a French last name.

Roy's last name is actually Focker, not Fokker.

As far as the bridge crew goes, Kim is listed as south Asian, Vanessa is French (listed in the compendium as French [south America] which, I assume means French Guiana), and Shammy is Finnish.

Claudia was actually an American that just happened to have a French last name.

Roy's last name is actually Focker, not Fokker.

"Focker" is a mistake that stuck. Consider: the aircraft company is spelled フォッカー. Roy surname is also spelled フォッカー. It's pronounced with a long "o" sound, not a short one. All the promotional materials related to Macross, of course, have "Focker," but that's not what his name should've been.

cf. Michael/Mikhail/Michel.

As far as the bridge crew goes, Kim is listed as south Asian, Vanessa is French (listed in the compendium as French [south America] which, I assume means French Guiana), and Shammy is Finnish.

Hmmm...guess I shuld've checked the Compendium before I posted. Still, my point remains: there are very few Americans (or Brits, or Australians) that we see on the Macross. Hence, I figure something really bad must have happened to America during the Unification Wars.

"Focker" is a mistake that stuck. Consider: the aircraft company is spelled フォッカー. Roy surname is also spelled フォッカー. It's pronounced with a long "o" sound, not a short one. All the promotional materials related to Macross, of course, have "Focker," but that's not what his name should've been.

seconded.

Hmmm...guess I shuld've checked the Compendium before I posted. Still, my point remains: there are very few Americans (or Brits, or Australians) that we see on the Macross. Hence, I figure something really bad must have happened to America during the Unification Wars.

Or... Macross was going for an "internationalized" crew, but the majority turned out to be Japanese. :lol:

IIRC it's no mistake, Fokker is a character in Robotech.

FV

IIRC it's no mistake, Fokker is a character in Robotech.

FV

I don't know how to respond to that...unless you're making a joke, that's kind of a silly argument.

Someone took the Macross scripts and translated them for Harmony Gold. Just because that person transliterated the name correctly (and the Imai model kit poeple didn't) means that it's no longer a Macross name...?

I don't know how to respond to that...unless you're making a joke, that's kind of a silly argument.

Someone took the Macross scripts and translated them for Harmony Gold. Just because that person transliterated the name correctly (and the Imai model kit poeple didn't) means that it's no longer a Macross name...?

yes, actually. :rolleyes:

It was no joke. AFAIR alternate spellings were chosen to differentiate Macross from Robotech. Apart from Focker/Fokker, we should have also got Minmay/Minmei, Britai/Breetai and Global/Gloval (don't remember who got what).

And anyway, who told you that Fokker was necessarily what the authors meant? Japanese usually hide references with similar spellings. It may have been only an allusion.

FV

Erm... Macross names have tended to be romanized more closely to the Heburn standard... (Rin Minmei, Makushimirian/Miria Jiinasu, Roi Fokka, Buritai, etc.). I fail to see how "Focker" is a closer romanization than "Fokker" is for フォッカ.

The name is also a reference to the Fokker DVII that he's seen flying in flashback. Which is a cool role-envoking name for a character; somewhat akin to names like Neo Anderson (New Son of Man) or Jason Bourne (reborn man who supplants, or more literally, spring/stream who supplants).

Also, going by this, even though the company may have been a Dutch one founded by a Dutch, it started in Germany.

But in Macross, the creative staff often intentionally misspell English words as indirect references to real people, places or things. This was a practice used extensively in SDF Macross, but it's also a tradition that is continued to a lesser degree in the entire Macross franchise. Many of these names were also meant to be puns.

The VF-1 Valkyrie design/manufacturing company Stonewell Bellcom = the real Rockwell International and Bell Aircraft Corporation

The Mauler laser/beam cannon manufacturer that builds almost all the valkyrie weapons = Mauser, a German arms manufacturer

The VF-25 Messiah's Gaabaa Assault Knife = the actual Ka-Bar Knife manufacturer

Algus Selzer, founder of General Galaxy = the German Alka-Seltzer, a cold medicine

Roy Focker = Fokker, the Dutch/German aircraft corporation named after founder Anthony Fokker

And the list goes on. Isn't it just as likely that "Focker" is an intentional misspelling?

But in Macross, the creative staff often intentionally misspell English words as indirect references to real people, places or things. This was a practice used extensively in SDF Macross, but it's also a tradition that is continued to a lesser degree in the entire Macross franchise. Many of these names were also meant to be puns.

The VF-1 Valkyrie design/manufacturing company Stonewell Bellcom = the real Rockwell International and Bell Aircraft Corporation

The Mauler laser/beam cannon manufacturer that builds almost all the valkyrie weapons = Mauser, a German arms manufacturer

Algus Selzer, founder of General Galaxy = the German Alka-Seltzer, a cold medicine

Roy Focker = Fokker, the Dutch/German aircraft corporation named after founder Anthony Fokker

And the list goes on. Isn't it just as likely that "Focker" is an intentional misspelling?

Some of those are really reaching. (Alka-seltzer <_< ).

I won't disagree with intentional (or bad) romanizations. HOWEVER, it depends on the source. If it's in the animation (as I think the case is with Minmay), it's official. But if it comes from a model kit box... :ph34r:

The Japanse use the English pronounced version of Fokker? In Dutch (and German) you would pronounce the "o" in Fokker (and Focker for that matter) the way you would pronounce "soccer" in English. A double consonant indicates the previous vowel sound be short.

As for the nationalities of the survivors of Space war 1. It's very hard to tell. The grand cannons were UN instalations and the crews/builders could come from any associated nation. Same with the moonbase that survived (where the SDF-2/Megaroad-1 was being constructed). Only hard data I've seen is that the number of human survivors was less then 1% of the world population.

In DYRL fightoperations are done in English but that again doesn't say much about the nationalities.

Edited by Bri

That has me curious, now. Does this mean that the animators stuck with the mistake, too, since Focker also appears on Hikaru's screen in DYRL when Roy is trying to rescue them from the pursuing Zentraedi?

Also, any idea of how they translate the name Focker in the American film, "Meet the Fockers"?

It was no joke. AFAIR alternate spellings were chosen to differentiate Macross from Robotech. Apart from Focker/Fokker, we should have also got Minmay/Minmei, Britai/Breetai and Global/Gloval (don't remember who got what).

And anyway, who told you that Fokker was necessarily what the authors meant? Japanese usually hide references with similar spellings. It may have been only an allusion.

FV

And who decided on those differences? Big West? Tatsunoko? Harmony Gold? Animeigo? I suspect the last...certainly, I never saw, for example, "Exsedol" until the Animeigo subs.

As for you second question, of course no one told me. But how is フォッカー a hidden reference to フォッカー?

Again, if it's an intentional misspelling, it's intentional ONLY for non-Japanese speakers. If you read the Japanese text, the two names are the same, which is not true of Stonewell Bellcom" vs. "Rockwell" and the like It's more akin to メガロード, which I've seen rendered as either "Megaroad" or "Megalord," but is a single word in Japanese.

To be fair, there are several readings of some words in Japanese. The new Macross 7 comic in Macross Ace could be either "Macross 7th Code" or "Macross 7th Chord." But since the "o" sound in フォッカー is pronounced like the "o" in "cone," well..."Focker" doesn't sound like that. The way they pronounce his name in Robotech is closer to to the Japanese pronunciation than the ADV dub is.

That has me curious, now. Does this mean that the animators stuck with the mistake, too, since Focker also appears on Hikaru's screen in DYRL when Roy is trying to rescue them from the pursuing Zentraedi?

Also, any idea of how they translate the name Focker in the American film, "Meet the Fockers"?

I think the animators make mistakes all the time. Remember the infamous Riber/Liver mix-up?

But still, clearly I'm in the minority here, so I'll drop it. Just...please, everyone...STOP MISPRONOUNCING HIS NAME! Say it like they say it in Robotech, and you'll be right.

(Oh, and "meet the Fockers" was called "Meet the Parents 2" in Japan. Not very helpful, huh?)