Transformers Super Thread 8

azrael

I have said it already - but what really dissapoints is that Live Action Transformers SHOULD have been the TF event of our life times.

Instead...

Bleh.

Pete

EDIT: Let me add one more point:

His head looks like it has the cockpit up there - but then the entire cockpit is actually hanging off his arm??

So ... which is it?

Edited by VFTF1

His head looks like it has the cockpit up there - but then the entire cockpit is actually hanging off his arm??

So ... which is it?

It's both. The arms have the little silver paint cockpit and then hidden in the fuselage is Jetfire's face and a little faux cockpit that lights up.

At least. You may want to toss in some other complimentary sharpies to liven it up a bit. How does it look combined to Optimus anyways?

Some of it isn't bad but the whole lower body is just ridiculously stupid. Basically half of Jetfire is just hanging off of Prime's waist like a skirt or something. And there's ZERO posability in the legs in their combined form. As a joke though, his sound effect in this form is some sort of mechanized walking sound even though the only pose he can do is that moderate lock kneed A stance.

_DSC5794.jpg

_DSC5791.jpg

_DSC5787.jpg

Sheesh...no offense but the Legends Jetfire looks more appealing to me than the Leader version....and from the looks of it has a better combination with Prime. It may even have less underkibble than the Leader version.

Actually, come to think of it, I like the Legends ROTF Prime better than the Leader version, too. There is something to be said for simplicity of design. ;)

You were right Shin Densetsu, deluxe Skids really is a good buy! It's transformation is really fun and yet complex in it's own little way.

Voyager SS is also a nice surprise; bot mode is still way off but the transformation is so original that you end up really liking the toy.

I think that (love them or hate them) the Bayformer designs have introduced new ways to design TF toys. The Hollywood guys pitched a difficult one to the toy designers. Some of them are a complete miss, like Leader Jetfire, while others are pure win, like HA Bumblebee or L Prime. It's good that the designers get challenged.

wow, that foot positioning trick is awesome, thanks! I flipped jetfire's arms around the back cleaned up some of the clutter that way and I'm actually pretty happy with their combined mode now.

That's just horrible. It looks like a robot using a jet as a glider.

Yeah. Seeing an underside view has chased me back off from buying him.

It also doesn't seem to stick together as well. At least with cars and trucks and tanks they manage to make those look generally sleeker (although not always) - here it just seems to be wavey and wiggly all the way through - as if they couldn't get that nose to just be sleek and straight, and the wings have a wierd droop.

The bent nose in the second and (especially) third shot is an artifact from the camera, I'm pretty sure.

The wings are so out of focus it's hard to tell what's up.

The lens being used just isn't intended for the sort of photos being asked of it.

Though in the photos I've seen of the Blackbird, it looks like it has a wierd droop in real life too.

http://sr-71.org/photogallery/blackbird/17...959-2001-11.jpg

The wings are SUPPOSED to go down then back up.

If that's not what you mean, I dunno.

I haven't seen a lot of really good Jetfire photos.

Yeah. Seeing an underside view has chased me back off from buying him.

The bent nose in the second and (especially) third shot is an artifact from the camera, I'm pretty sure.

The wings are so out of focus it's hard to tell what's up.

The lens being used just isn't intended for the sort of photos being asked of it.

Though in the photos I've seen of the Blackbird, it looks like it has a wierd droop in real life too.

http://sr-71.org/photogallery/blackbird/17...959-2001-11.jpg

The wings are SUPPOSED to go down then back up.

If that's not what you mean, I dunno.

I haven't seen a lot of really good Jetfire photos.

has nothing little to do with the lens, I just shot it with a really shallow depth of field. The undulations are the actual curvature of the toy, the angle I shot it just accentuates it. Here's some shots so you can see it's transformed properly with a greater depth of field. And remember, the nose cone is rubber, it just doesn't want to line up straight. *shrug*

_DSC5798.jpg

_DSC5801.jpg

_DSC5802.jpg

This group of shots were taken with the Nikkor 12-24mm f 4 EG DX wide angle lens, pretty widely regarded as one of the best wide angle lenses available for crop frame cameras. There's distortion at the edges so I tried to keep Jetfire in the middle of the frame

Edited by eugimon

I pretty much agree with what has been said here. Hasbro should just do away with (or severely reduce the size) the light/sound components. If they had done so on Prime, we might have gotten waist articulation or even just a place to hide those fenders. I have no idea how much space the electronics on Jetfire take up, but I'm sure they could do better without them.

Still even a reduction would be nice, AA batteries may be easy and relatively cheap, but electronics that run off say...a couple of watch batteries would be nice if Hasbro insisted on staying with light/sound.

Hell just take it out all together and give us nicer paint apps on the first release, that'd be okay too.

I pretty much agree with what has been said here. Hasbro should just do away with (or severely reduce the size) the light/sound components. If they had done so on Prime, we might have gotten waist articulation or even just a place to hide those fenders. I have no idea how much space the electronics on Jetfire take up, but I'm sure they could do better without them.

Still even a reduction would be nice, AA batteries may be easy and relatively cheap, but electronics that run off say...a couple of watch batteries would be nice if Hasbro insisted on staying with light/sound.

Hell just take it out all together and give us nicer paint apps on the first release, that'd be okay too.

If Jetfire didn't have the light/sound feature his head could have actual articulation as well as in the torso so he could properly hunch over like his in the movie. His head could also pop into the chest in the combined mode so it's not just sticking out there behind Prime's head. Could have had a much improved bot mode and possible jet mode.

has nothing little to do with the lens, I just shot it with a really shallow depth of field. The undulations are the actual curvature of the toy, the angle I shot it just accentuates it. Here's some shots so you can see it's transformed properly with a greater depth of field. And remember, the nose cone is rubber, it just doesn't want to line up straight. *shrug*

_DSC5798.jpg

_DSC5801.jpg

_DSC5802.jpg

This group of shots were taken with the Nikkor 12-24mm f 4 EG DX wide angle lens, pretty widely regarded as one of the best wide angle lenses available for crop frame cameras. There's distortion at the edges so I tried to keep Jetfire in the middle of the frame

Ah!

The third shot was the one I noticed it most on, and it apparently bent WAY to the side, which it didn't in the others, so I assumed something was funny.

I see now, though. It bends UP, the angle made it look like it bent to the side, and I guessed wrong about why.

My apologies.

Far as rubber goes... only other shots I've seen, the engine spikes were bent rather horribly.

Thanks for the additional photos!

Edited by JB0

Re: the light and sound feature -

I have a suspicion that Hasbro's target market actually prefers lights and sounds to having no kibble under the fusealage. That is to say - 5 year olds don't care how inaccurate the thing is when compared to either the live action on-screen version or to the real-life vehicle. All they care about is that it goes "wwwwwwweooooooooooooo ratatararararrataratratatatataa!! BOOOOM!" and transforms from something that vaguely aproximates a cool jet to something that vaguely aproximates a cool robot.

Kawamori has better things to be doing with his life than designing ROTF Jetfire. :)

I did, however, appreciate that he was brought in to design the MP Seekers and the little Convoy. Also, just as an aside, I might be wrong here - but didn't Kawamori also design the original Diaclone seekers?

Pete

Sheesh...no offense but the Legends Jetfire looks more appealing to me than the Leader version....and from the looks of it has a better combination with Prime. It may even have less underkibble than the Leader version.

Actually, come to think of it, I like the Legends ROTF Prime better than the Leader version, too. There is something to be said for simplicity of design. ;)

I didn't do any Legends figures from the first movie, but am absolutely loving the Legends ones from the new one.

So far I've picked up Prime and Jetfire (they do combine), Bumblebee, Sideswipe, and Springer.

Springer is by FAR my favorite and I recommend him to everyone.

Looking forward to the Legends Devastator (you know, the only one where the vehicles transform into robots, and can combine into Devstator too?) when it comes out in the US.

Anyone else buying Legends with some recommendations?

You know, I tend to be into the bigger and more detailed and complicated figures, but the Legends have something that almost all movie figures are lacking: They're actually FUN to transform!

I was trying to figure out why Silverbolt's knee joints didn't work so well when I found this:

Knee fix

It doesn't take long at all and Silverbolt/Storm Jet will be a better figure from it.

Thanks for the link. Did this and it worked nicely.

This one?

Superion

The hands look puny, but overall it looks better than the original config IMO.

And thanks for the pic. Already enjoying Superion more.

I just pre-ordered the upgrade kit from BBTS. Can't wait. :lol:

They should ask Kawamori to do a Jetfire toy. I'm sure he'd manage to do away with or at least minimise the amount of kibble.

There's a ridiculous amount of kibble on that thing!

Graham

If Takara ever does a Masterpiece version of Jetfire, it could happen. After all, Kawamori revised the design of Masterpiece Starscream.

I'm surprised how chunky Sideswipe is... I may end up buying his deluxe to repaint... isn't there a red version coming?

This morning I won Rabbicrater, the special Micromaster that was packed in with the original Transformers:Zone OVA VHS! I'm so stoked to win such an obscure little guy. Got some much bigger stuff ending tomorrow that I have my eye on, and I paid for a loose complete Go Shooter this morning on TFW. ROTF may have sucked, but it's got me back in the TF saddle! Too bad I have zero shelf space for Transformers right now... Stupid quasi-1/60 Scale battle shelf takes up alot of space :D

Edited by promethuem5

They should ask Kawamori to do a Jetfire toy. I'm sure he'd manage to do away with or at least minimise the amount of kibble.

Graham

Didn't he already do it and they named it skyfire?

Graham

Mmmmm.... a ridiculous amount of kibble... or a ridiculous amount of toy?

I really thought <this> Jetfire was a huge amount of kibble, with a couple of plates on its back to resemble a blackbird...

And then, I take a look at my 1/60 yf-21. Gosh, this Jetfire thing is really fugly!! His designer must have been on a hangover!

Another Bay-movie-subproduct. What a difference in milking the cow: Yamato and M-Bay.

The "original" Jetfire was much cooler. That's why I love Macross.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but why does he have Decepticon symbols?

Pete

Haven't seen it too... but I'd bet it's a kind of Magneto thing. "OK, I was a bad dude, but... just 'cos I got bored, I turned to the bright side..."

beh.

He was originally a Decepticon but changed sides. If memory serves this is fairly common amongst all his appearances not just the movie one. I suppose he just never asked anyone on Earth for a new paint job :rolleyes:

Graham

Yet it's 10 times as entertaining as the best Macross figure. ;)

He was originally a Decepticon but changed sides. If memory serves this is fairly common amongst all his appearances not just the movie one. I suppose he just never asked anyone on Earth for a new paint job :rolleyes:

Indeed. His first cartoon appearance has him signing on with the Decepticons... for about ten minutes. Then he pulls an Autobot badge out of his exhaust port and swaps sides. Then he gets buried in ice and they have a moving funeral for him.

Then they drove back to the North Pole a month later to dig him up so he could fly them to South America.

Indeed. His first cartoon appearance has him signing on with the Decepticons... for about ten minutes. Then he pulls an Autobot badge out of his exhaust port and swaps sides. Then he gets buried in ice and they have a moving funeral for him.

Then they drove back to the North Pole a month later to dig him up so he could fly them to South America.

See, the michael bay movies ARE like the G1 cartoon... :rolleyes:

edit:: well, except for the funeral part.... "Aw, Jazz"

Edited by eugimon

Yet it's 10 times as entertaining as the best Macross figure.

Taste is of course relative, so everyone can have different notions of what they find entertaining - but often times it's possible to at least explain WHY rather than just leaving it at "you like X and I like Y."

For me, it's hard to be entertained by a Jetfire toy that looks nothing like Jetfire from the movie in either jet or robot mode, and which even standing on its' own, could use more paint aps and less kibble.

"the best Macross figures" - on the other hand - meaning Yamato figures - are anime accurate, pain stakingly painted, perfectly variable, extremely poseable and feature numerous additions (like removable cockpits) which are not just gimmicks (like a light and sound box on the TF), but actually a sensible reference to the anime.

I can see how someone would be entertained by a very good Jetfire toy - but by that? Hard for me to get excited over it.

Pete

See, the michael bay movies ARE like the G1 cartoon... :rolleyes:

edit:: well, except for the funeral part.... "Aw, Jazz"

Now, would it be better or WORSE if they'd proceeded to dig Jazz back out of the ocean in the beginning of the second movie.

"Yo, 'bot... I'm Sam's dad. My son's driving a nicer car than me. Violates the natural order. You see where I'm going with this, right?"

"Yeah, I'm cool. Let's roll. Nice to be not-dead again."