Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.2

Graham

I like them all but will probably only end up getting some ghosts, in fact I think I will try and get all the ghost toys/kits I can, must be working on the GlobalHawk effecting my buying decisions.

*shakes fist @ bandai*

Don't you make me pre-order these... AGAIN! :lol:

Seriously, if those are the final figures, then I have finally converted. Bandai, you can has my monnies.

Alto's head looks perfect and very well detailed. Good to see the use of diecast where it should be used: Joints and other weak locations (hips).

still looks like a proportion mess to me...

it's a shame. you can see bandai really put some effort into this and they got it wrong, was it so hard to fix the cortch and add a freaking neck to the thing, Michaels and ozma look like ninja turtles

Well looking at my 1/72 VF-25F, there is actually a tiny swing bar that brings both the legs down to the proper position in gerwalk and battroid mode-- this piece is really small and Bandai probably sacrificed it to make the toy more durable-- otherwise the engines/intakes would be too far back in fighter mode! Also, given how the neck sits in my model, I suspect that in fighter mode there probably isn't much space for the neck-- otherwise it will push the 'gullet' of the fighter down and the VF-25 will start looking like a YF-19! :ph34r: All these I discovered due to mis-transformations of my 1/72, so the 1/72 is really quite sturdy if fairly line-art accurate if you are going for that!

However, I just for the Macross Frontier Official File #2, and on the last page they have this big-ass promo picture of the 1/60, and the back of the legs doesnt stick up past the shield like it is supposed to in fighter mode! It kind of hangs below the shield-- I hope it is due to the weight of the legs rather than how it is sculpted,because if its the sculpt then its kind of a deal breaker because its so ugly O_O.

Well looking at my 1/72 VF-25F, there is actually a tiny swing bar that brings both the legs down to the proper position in gerwalk and battroid mode-- this piece is really small and Bandai probably sacrificed it to make the toy more durable-- otherwise the engines/intakes would be too far back in fighter mode!

They could have at least made a metal swing bar if they want durability. That or a sliding mechanism similar to the newer MG kits.

nothing wrong with plastic... as long as it's the RIGHT plastic. <_<

well... id much prefer metal joints as opposed to plastic ones... I'm always afraid to transform my yamato valks because if I put too much stress on a joint it'll snap.

nothing wrong with plastic... as long as it's the RIGHT plastic. <_<

Ahh, toydom's eternal struggle! :lol:

Since there's no word yet of an armor set, I'll definetly skip Ozma and wait for a combo. He just looks wrong in that family picture all naked. Alto and Luca are sweeeet.

I'm not interested in the Mikail but the mailawaybullcrap could be nice. What would it be? A couple of sound boosters a fold booster and a Ranka, right?

The finish on those toys looks outstanding and the joints look nice and beefy without being eyesores. This thing looks fun.

I actually hope their is a gloss finish applied.

They could have at least made a metal swing bar if they want durability. That or a sliding mechanism similar to the newer MG kits.

In another thread

it's a shame. you can see bandai really put some effort into this and they got it wrong, was it so hard to fix the cortch and add a freaking neck to the thing, Michaels and ozma look like ninja turtles

Honestly I really think these are based on Kawamori's concept work, there maybe concept work we have not seen yet but these look similar to his sketches that Dengeki Hobby posted not too long ago. Bandai can make an accurate VF-25 if they wanted to, but Kawamori may have wanted the model kit team to go that direction, whereas he may have wanted the toy team to go in the direction of making the VF-25 the way he originally wanted it to be. Being that Bandai loves to make multiple versions of a mecha design(no no, not the RX-78 like everyone brings up, Dragonar anyone?), I think it is possible that we see a TV accurate 25 later on in the line. Would I buy a more accurate one? I don't know, I've warmed up to the balanced look of the DX, over the skinny appearance of the TV 25.

I have a hard time buying that the DX is based off that sketch that was posted. The intakes are completely different between the sketch, the DX and the CG and the crotch is even smaller on the sketch than in the CG, and the legs don't have the long ankle extensions and not to mention the gun is very different. The sketch gun looks more like the original VF-1 gunpod while the VF-25 gunpod is longer and the telescoping extension part happens before the grip and not behind it.

It just makes far more sense that the diecast content in the DX forced Bandai to bulk up the design in order to keep the surrounding plastic to be thick and strong enough to support the weight.

something odd I noticed. the little blisters on the top of the 25F's head (in the black painted section) appear to be hinged for some reason. I have no idea why.

anyone care to venture a guess?

post-4286-1228181171_thumb.jpg

I have a hard time buying that the DX is based off that sketch that was posted. The intakes are completely different between the sketch, the DX and the CG and the crotch is even smaller on the sketch than in the CG, and the legs don't have the long ankle extensions and not to mention the gun is very different. The sketch gun looks more like the original VF-1 gunpod while the VF-25 gunpod is longer and the telescoping extension part happens before the grip and not behind it.

It just makes far more sense that the diecast content in the DX forced Bandai to bulk up the design in order to keep the surrounding plastic to be thick and strong enough to support the weight.

Yeah, I also don't buy that the DX was based in anyway on that non-final concept design sketch.

Wasn't it already stated by the design team that they toy was designed this way to appeal to traditional 1/55 Chunky and chogokin fans and also so it would be more rugged and durable.

Graham

something odd I noticed. the little blisters on the top of the 25F's head (in the black painted section) appear to be hinged for some reason. I have no idea why.

could be to make transformation easier... not sure though, just a guess...

don't care, still not getting these.

Don't think they are hinges, just separate pressed in parts.

Graham

No more bitchin' and moaning from me from now on about this product.

What we are seeing is what we are getting.

I've accepted that and I'm slowly growing to like it (but not love it yet).

Looking forward to getting it and doing a review.

Graham

and 2 more things that worried is the quality of the plastic and the bad painted

I don't think you have to worry about those 2 points from Bandai.

While the paint application on their lower price toys such as MSiA or mid-range toys such as GFF can sometimes be a bit iffy, the higher end toys such as the SOC and Soul of Spec usually have flawless paint jobs.

As this is a high end toy, I fully expect it to have an excellent paint job and use top quality plastic.

Graham