Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.2

Graham

The tips of the intakes on the legs extend far above the hips on the DX. The sketch and CGI does not.

The intakes are just more "squared" in the drawing. No sleekness to them like would be used in fighter mode. Just more anime magic like the YF-21's legs from Batt mode to fighter mode.

Chris

ZOMG. This is like déjà vu all over again!

I only added this picture because I saw the following words flashing before me on screen: ANIME ACCURATE

For a lot of fans this is probably the ultimate goal, but for a designer it might not be. In this case the official line art was not a drawing by mister Kawamori himself, but a CG model that was made by someone else (most likely). The CG model simply represents his design. If he gives instructions to the toy team to deviate from the CG model and make it more in line with his original vision, then that is his good right.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending the looks of this particular toy or the (..) craftsmanship that went into it. All I am saying is that anime accurate can be overrated (and designers are gods).

Guess what I do for a living :)

Can't that drawing just have been an early prototype and Kawamori refined it into the CG version later on?

If the CG model didn't represent exactly what he wanted, he would have just smacked the cg artists and told them to get their act together. He is producer for Macross F and finally has full authority over pretty much everything in MF. Except when Bandai steps in of course.

Except when Bandai steps in of course.

Says who? The two designs that are coming out last, the 1/60 and 1/100, both share the same modified hip joint location. Who's to say that Mr. K didn't ask them to make them that way? He certainly asked them to make other changes on the model and they complied. In fact, when it comes to a show with animation deadlines upon which the entire IP based and multiple product lines are depending on, he probably has less authority than he does over the toy.

Seriously guys, an old concept sketch of the VF-25 and you are using that as a reason for why the 1/60 looks the way it does.

The toys seem to be based on the concept art, while the model is accurate to the show. I don't see anything wrong with that, who knows, maybe Bandai will make a show accurate 25 later on, kind like how they made 2 Soul SPEC Dragonars, 1 based on the opening silhouette, 1 based on how it looks like in the show.

FYI, here's what OverDrive quoted me for the Alto DX Super Parts set.

Sir

Sorry I'm a little late The details are in on the Bandai Super Parts

They will be 4000 yen plus the shipping and handling fees to us which

will be around 800 yen. We will add a service charge of 2000 yen to this

ammount which will bring the total amount to 6800 yen which goes to

about $72. Shipping fees will of course be added to this amount.

If this is all OK with you contact us and we will be more then happy to

order the parts for you.

Graham

Graham, was the price that they listed for shipping to you in Hong Kong? For the states, if that price was for Hong Kong, for us it will be even more.

The price they listed of US$72 was not including shipping to me.

So price would be US$72 + whatever the shipping is. I guess they don't know the weight yet, so don't want to quote for shipping yet.

Graham

Interesting. Kawamori says his idea for the VF-25 was - slim and sleek looking to the utmost in fighter mode (to look as much as possible like a real aircraft) but massive looking (chunky?) in battroid mode.

Kawamori wants a toy/model of the VF-9 to happen.

He also wants a "clear" version of the VF-25 kit. Looks like this is already in the works.

Edited by Vifam7

Ok I can't read Japanese as well, but I noticed the Red numbers--I think they link the VF to their real world inspirations.

VF-1 : F-14 (duh!)

YF-19 : F-104 (huh?)

YF-21 : YF-23/YF-22 (duh!) and F-111 (huh?)

VF-0 : F-16 Sufa (huh?)

SV-51 : SU-27 (duh!)

No red numbers for the VF-25 but there is mention of the VF-1 (duh) SV-51 (possible) and probably some comparison to the YF-19.

Ok at this point from the pictures I think the VF-25 is the 1/72 because it is much smaller than even the VF-1 in the picture.

Pages 30-32 Have a preview of the VF-25 1/60 transformation sequence as well as more pics of the VF-25S and RVF-25.

Page 33 shows the partsforming required for the VF-25 1/100--- all following the 1/100 thread take note!

Page 34 Ranka's 'phone' pouch coming out... I am sooo getting one of those!

Page 37: Unknown VF-25s on SMS stand? Must buy!

Page 38 bottom: Lego VF-25

Page 48 has a dramatic pose of the VF-0S GERWALK that I wish I could get in a poster!

sweet! Thanks alot! How did you find this stuff?

P.S. Is that a 1/72 or a 1/60 VF-25F Alto on Page 22? Because if it is a 1/60 it doesn't look that bad, IMO.

I go to that forum often for general toy news.

The one on page 22 should be the DX 1:60 - legs sit lower than the shield and we can see the gap between head and back plate.

http://www.toy-world.com.hk/maga/fk/03_2008/043.html

Bottom left pic of the cool posed VF-1S looks awesome.

:edited: on this page as well - http://www.toy-world.com.hk/maga/fk/03_2008/044.html

What is she? I want one!

black WAVE 1/100? YF-21 - http://www.toy-world.com.hk/maga/fk/03_2008/046.html those were limited release weren't they..

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Ok I can't read Japanese as well, but I noticed the Red numbers--I think they link the VF to their real world inspirations.

VF-1 : F-14 (duh!)

YF-19 : F-104 (huh?)

YF-21 : YF-23/YF-22 (duh!) and F-111 (huh?)

VF-0 : F-16 Sufa (huh?)

SV-51 : SU-27 (duh!)

We would link the YF-19 to X-29, but according to wiki F-104 was also a radical design with the first production trapezoidal wing. Now F-22 and F-35 also use trapezoidal wing.

The F-111 part appears to refer to the shape changing wing of YF-21, because F-111 was the first production plane with variable-sweep wing.

F-16 Sufa v.s. VF-0: probably refer to all those bulges on the body: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:F-16Isufa001.jpg

So... back on topic, anyone who can read Japanese see anything new about the DX toy on page 30-32?

Edited by CF18

sweet! Thanks alot! How did you find this stuff?

P.S. Is that a 1/72 or a 1/60 VF-25F Alto on Page 22? Because if it is a 1/60 it doesn't look that bad, IMO.

That the 1/60 VF-25F, it said on the bottom of the picture. (DX is a dead give away)

The F, G and RVF look much better in these pics but the neck on the S is still not visible. I hope its just a mistransformation or a problem with the test shot or it'll look much worse once the armored pack goes on.

Michael's valk is looking really good. The only one I'm planning on getting at the moment since it comes with the super pack and display stand all in the same package (don't want or need the Tamashii Web shop exclusive Gallia IV expansion pack).

Edited by IXTL

The price they listed of US$72 was not including shipping to me.

So price would be US$72 + whatever the shipping is. I guess they don't know the weight yet, so don't want to quote for shipping yet.

Graham

Wow that is quite pricey, or it will be once it hits North American shores. That's almost like half or more of the price of the 1/60 VF25F itself.

I get the feeling though that later down the road Bandai will definitely release a combined VF25+super pack version. I mean it's bound to be a money maker and easy for them to engineer. i.e. basically no addition work needed except for the packaging.

I think I'll try to wait patiently.

If Bandai is really taking on Kawamori 'real' vision of the VF-25, then why didn't they produce this also for the 1/72, and why does the 1/100 seems like a mix of the two? or why isn't this getting fixed for the Blu Ray Frontier releases?

and I'm sure Bandai knows about the fans uproar about the unaccuracy of their DX toy, why no official word on this??

Doesn't surprise me. Bandai knows how to make accurate toys, all along I thought there had to be a good reason why the DX 25s ended up the way they did, as different as they look from the show.

Conceeded, but unfortunately if you make the Batt mode look chuncky the fighter mode suffers which is the case here. Can't make one look one way without the other also looking that way. :(

Chris

If Bandai is really taking on Kawamori 'real' vision of the VF-25, then why didn't they produce this also for the 1/72, and why does the 1/100 seems like a mix of the two? or why isn't this getting fixed for the Blu Ray Frontier releases?

It could be a number of different factors. For example, the folks who make the 1/72 kit is different from those who make the DX toy. It's a whole different division at Bandai. It's not uncommon for different departments in the same company to not share ideas, priorities, or how they interact and take notes from the original mecha designer. It may also just well be Kawamori's differing priorities depending on the product.

Edited by Vifam7