Official Bandai 1/60 Scale DX Toy Thread Ver.2

Graham

I'm starting to think that Bandai is reading this thread and that's why the DX is late late late in coming out :)

It would be cool to think that they're sweating "the crotch! it should be more big! big big crotch! not flat!" (*whips designer*)

hmm... it would really make life easier at this point for the DX to be released so that, even if everyone will still have bad things to say about it they could just point to the actual product instead of year old prototype pictures and fuzzy photos :)

Pete

Yes, someone working for the company.

missing the point, but a nice dig, the point is that it's not the design that's inherently fragile but the implementation.

Yeah it is also called benefit of the doubt.

and it can also be called: wishful thinking and mental gymnastics. :p

Edited by eugimon

Yeah, I was just gonna go place a Macross-themed order from HLJ with some instock items and some preorders, but the dollar is doing absolutely rotten compared to the Yen, and projected to go up after January, so I for one will wait to finally buy my Destroid Tomahawk. I think I'll preorder the Alto DX from BBTS tho... where's the best place to preorder the exclusive armor set? Tokyohunter wants double the price at least for the set shipped.

I guess the good thing about buying through overdrive is that they charged me the day I preordered, which means that the dollar was much better than it is now. In looking at the new issue of Macross Chronicle, it has the pics of the VF-25 toy. I'm ok with it, except for the Ozma turtle neck. It seems like they went to some lengths to stretch out the feet, but on the other end, it looks smashed down. Sad how one of the best looking of the VF-25s is gonna look like a timid dork amongst the other valks Bandai is putting out and amongst the Yamato products.

As for the hip issue, I don't think it's too bad. Overall (with exception to the Ozma ver.) I think they look good. I'm more excited about Luca and Michael's sets, as those look most promising.

I guess the good thing about buying through overdrive is that they charged me the day I preordered, which means that the dollar was much better than it is now. In looking at the new issue of Macross Chronicle, it has the pics of the VF-25 toy. I'm ok with it, except for the Ozma turtle neck. It seems like they went to some lengths to stretch out the feet, but on the other end, it looks smashed down. Sad how one of the best looking of the VF-25s is gonna look like a timid dork amongst the other valks Bandai is putting out and amongst the Yamato products.

As for the hip issue, I don't think it's too bad. Overall (with exception to the Ozma ver.) I think they look good. I'm more excited about Luca and Michael's sets, as those look most promising.

Overdrive is excellent--- they charge in USD even though they are based in Japan, and their prices (at least for their pre-orders) don't change even as the currency fluctuates.

The US dollar is one big sh@$ sandwich and were all gonna have to take bite if we want our Japanese toys.

But the good thing(law of unintentional consequences) about it, is that it has forced me to really asses what toys/models I really think are worth my hard earned cash.

Edited by Golden Arms

Overdrive is excellent--- they charge in USD even though they are based in Japan, and their prices (at least for their pre-orders) don't change even as the currency fluctuates.

Ahhh... so this is why they don't impress'a'me much ooh ooh... (boing!) ...crap! Now I can't get that lousy tune out of my head :) ...

Err...anyways - back to the DX 1/60... is there a reason why Alto and Ozma don't even get stands? I like stands, stands are a logica thing for airplane models/figures to have. Will Bandai be selling seperate stands?

Pete

Err...anyways - back to the DX 1/60... is there a reason why Alto and Ozma don't even get stands?

Most likely a ploy by Bandai probably to get people to buy exclusive super pack for Alto since the set comes with a display stand. Same thing will probably be the case when Ozma's armored pack is released (probably also exclusively through the web shop).

Edited by IXTL

Most likely a ploy by Bandai probably to get people to buy exclusive super pack for Alto since the set comes with a display stand. Same thing will probably be the case when Ozma's armored pack is released (probably also exclusively through the web shop).

just as likely that bandai is planing to release a special deluxe version of the alto/ozma that has the stand and armor bundled with them, so that the people who bought them early will have to buy them again to get the armor/super parts.

(kind of like how bandai always does things)

So, is TokyoHunter the only game in town for preordering the Alto armor set? He seems expensive with the shipping... I preordered the figure from BBTS and want to get the armor set under wraps. Then I've gotta wait for BBTS to list all the 1/100 figure preorders.

As far as the durability/visual aesthetic debate, I would humbly like to mention that as a resident of an area that is earthquake prone I highly value the sturdiness of a toy (especially one that I would be forking over so much for). I hate going through a 'quake at work and thinking to myself "Did I leave that VF-1 in Battroid or Fighter mode? Will I come home and find my custom VF-19 in 5 different pieces after it does a face-plant off it's stand?". I was happy when I heard bandai would be tackling the 25 series. I've been happy with the quality of their product before. Yes, they are kinda chunky, and yes, the M7 line could have benefited from maybe 4 more parts of articulation on each figure that would have bade them a lot better in terms of poseability alone, but I do like them. A bit more diversity of new and re-releases would be nice too, but I'm still happy with what I've got from them so far.

From what I've seen so far I personally like the look of the DX. I just hope to God that the 25S does in fact have a neck and the last few months of shots have ALL been either mistransformed, suffer from some kind of loose prototype-stage casting that is loose and will be corrected in the next stage of production (hell, it could be what's been holding up the release date? :lol: ). I'm a big fan of the S's and I hate to see a really nice design to look like it's constantly shrugging.

The whole ankle-flaring thing looks like it might be correctable, it seems like the feet extend out from the lower-leg as part of the transformation process, so you may not have to extend them all the way and keep them stable when it stands.

I've made my preorders.

As far as the durability/visual aesthetic debate, I would humbly like to mention that as a resident of an area that is earthquake prone I highly value the sturdiness of a toy (especially one that I would be forking over so much for). I hate going through a 'quake at work and thinking to myself "Did I leave that VF-1 in Battroid or Fighter mode? Will I come home and find my custom VF-19 in 5 different pieces after it does a face-plant off it's stand?". I was happy when I heard bandai would be tackling the 25 series. I've been happy with the quality of their product before. Yes, they are kinda chunky, and yes, the M7 line could have benefited from maybe 4 more parts of articulation on each figure that would have bade them a lot better in terms of poseability alone, but I do like them. A bit more diversity of new and re-releases would be nice too, but I'm still happy with what I've got from them so far.

From what I've seen so far I personally like the look of the DX. I just hope to God that the 25S does in fact have a neck and the last few months of shots have ALL been either mistransformed, suffer from some kind of loose prototype-stage casting that is loose and will be corrected in the next stage of production (hell, it could be what's been holding up the release date? :lol: ). I'm a big fan of the S's and I hate to see a really nice design to look like it's constantly shrugging.

The whole ankle-flaring thing looks like it might be correctable, it seems like the feet extend out from the lower-leg as part of the transformation process, so you may not have to extend them all the way and keep them stable when it stands.

I've made my preorders.

Thats a really unique perspective! Maybe the folks at Bandai were thinking the same thing, Japan being an earthquake prone country and all. Imagine some guy coming home to a collapsed building... pulling his VF-25F out of the wreckage and it is in perfect shape :p

I see ppl wondering why the first releases of the dx chogokin line won't come with stands... The explanation is simple really... If they can charge you for the figure and then release a set with a stand or sell a high quality stand altogether they can make a huge profit rather than including a stand with the DX toy...

Yamato did it with most of their valks... I guess bandai sees this as a good opportunity to cash in on ppl paying extra for accessories... I mean really did we need the expensive 50 dollar metal stands that yamato was selling when most ppl use the laftoys flexidisplay stand just fine? I think not but hey that's capitalism for ya.

NOOOOOO! Another neckless 25S promo shot! What the hell? I'm sure the early prototypes had a neck! I'm sure they did!

Did someone at Bandai say half way through production 'Hmmm... lets loose the neck in that one. No one will notice.'? :(

WHYYYYYY?!

I stand by my preorder, but they're really making me worry about it so close to the release...

The plastic on a DX is heavier, and can stand more modifications.

I see, thanks for your explanation!

I think the problem with the VF-25S (except the neck) is the lower camera angle that they took the picture at compared to the VF-25F, making the torso look shorter and closer to the hips/legs. About the neck though... heh. Could it be that they are using the same mistransformed figure over and over again and no one pointed it out to them? Or that they are too lazy to take new promo pictures and are re-using the old ones?

Edited by edwin3060

I see the balance. I can see why some fans including myself like it. I can also see why some prefer an anime accurate look, and why some are disappointed with how the 25 is portrayed in the anime, all skinny.

So you like the squat torso, big crotch, no neck, wide shoulders and the long ankles? Hey whatever floats your boat man. Some people like fat and meaty chicks and some likes skinny and well proportioned chicks. It's just different strokes for different folks.

I see, thanks for your explanation!

I think the problem with the VF-25S (except the neck) is the lower camera angle that they took the picture at compared to the VF-25F, making the torso look shorter and closer to the hips/legs. About the neck though... heh. Could it be that they are using the same mistransformed figure over and over again and no one pointed it out to them? Or that they are too lazy to take new promo pictures and are re-using the old ones?

I believe that if a toy is good. It should look good from any angle.