Yamato 1/60 VF-1A/D/J/S v2.0

Dante74

Sh!t... my right shoulder hinge outer edge that everyone has been reporting broke too, I'd barely transform this, and I've kept it mostly on battroid, this thing is barely a month old for me, at first I thought it was the peg for holding the leg on fighter mode like a member posted here a while ago since I was applying pressure there but after inspecting it was all there until I decided to see the hinge....

crap!! just when I was thinking of buying another VF-1S...damn it!!! where's the fvcking angry smily at!!

Sh!t... my right shoulder hinge outer edge that everyone has been reporting broke too, I'd barely transform this, and I've kept it mostly on battroid, this thing is barely a month old for me, at first I thought it was the peg for holding the leg on fighter mode like a member posted here a while ago since I was applying pressure there but after inspecting it was all there until I decided to see the hinge....

crap!! just when I was thinking of buying another VF-1S...damn it!!! where's the fvcking angry smily at!!

Damn man, sorry to hear, I'd be enraged with an incredible fury if that happened to me! See folks, this is why people like me question how such parts are overlooked.

How did yours break?

Just curious, what's wrong with the shoulder hinge? Doesn't seem like a weak design to me.

Graham

You'll probably see what's wrong with the shoulder hinge if you...LOOK AT IT. :D

It's a super thin piece of plastic around a metal bar. Of course it's weak.

You'll probably see what's wrong with the shoulder hinge if you...LOOK AT IT. :D

It's a super thin piece of plastic around a metal bar. Of course it's weak.

So in other words I guess I shouldn't buy a V2 just yet as this seems to be a pervasive problem with the arm hinge and all.

OK, I'm reading the posts about broken shoulders, looking at the pics in the other thread and comparing with my VF-1S and VF-1A and I still can't figure out exactly which part you guys are saying is breaking.

From Shin's post above, I'm guessing he means the 180 degree swivel joint that connects the arm to the back plate, but when you guys start talking about broken outer edges, I'm lost.

And the extremeley blurry pic in the other thread showing a broken part doesn't help at all. I've no idea what it's showing, it's too out of focus.

Any chance of some nice clear pics, with the part outlined in red, or with at least an arrow pointing to it.

Graham

Not the "arm to backplate" part. Very near the shoulder itself.

Graham--when transforming from fighter mode, you will swing the arm assemblies out 90 degrees. In doing so, part of the arm/shoulder hinge assembly will have to go past "the stop". Where the swing-arm assembly hits that stop when trying to transform it--right there. It's a piano hinge, with a metal pin in the center. The plastic outer parts of that are snapping off, exposing the metal pin. If enough plastic is lost, there's nothing to surround the pin, and the whole arm will come off.

::edit:: Found a pic---Yamato already circled it! Step 12. http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/V...ew/manual-6.jpg Not the "stop" itself, but the hinge that is touching the bump. But AFAIK, it's usually the other side of the hinge---in that pic, the arms are already past the stop, and the "rear" of the hinge is against the stop. The most-likely-to-break part is the other side of that hinge, that will encounter the tab as you swing the arms forward.

::edit 2:: *REALLY GOOD PIC* http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=...st&id=56116

Thanks David, that's clearer now.

Will look into this.

Graham

Yes....it tis a bit of an annoyance. Nothing that can't be worked past. And thus far....the only "major" problem.

:ph34r:

Looks like I'm still getting my VF-1A Hikaru type, thankfully, but I'm still not running into any issues with my VF-1S...then again he's staying cool and in the shade in Battroid mode for sometime now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...I hope Yamato deals with this issue quickly if they have not already. But this will not detour me from purchasing this entire line. They are wayyyyyy to sweet.

So far the only breakages have been on the Focker version with tight shoulders. The VF-1A Hikaru has looser shoulders but so far no reported breakages whatsoever, and you know how it is folks, if there was a breakage, the pics would have been on the net immediately. I think the hinge is breaking due to tension from the tight shoulders on the 1S.

I just preordered a VF-1A Higgy with S&S parts from LAFToys. First time I have ever preordered anything.

Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? :p

I just preordered a VF-1A Higgy with S&S parts from LAFToys. First time I have ever preordered anything.

Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? :p

Says the 15th last time I looked. I'm having a hard time not going to check every day. :unsure:

Now that I've had the 1S for a few weeks I have to say the shoulder issue kind of spoils the toy overall for me. Mine hasn't broken, but what bothers me even more than the potential for breakage is just the fact that the shoulders simply hang there without pegging into or resting on anything. It's a big sore on an otherwise perfect toy. It's almost as if they couldn't figure out how to secure the shoulder pieces (why not use the 1/48 method?) so they just gave up and hoped nobody would mind. In Battroid mode it's typically the arms that get posed more than anything, so the fact that they are so worrisome and unsecure actually makes me avoid the toy. It sits there saying "Come on, play with me!!" and I reach for it...and then just sort of withdraw my hand with a wince and decide I'll just enjoy it looking pretty on the shelf rather than allow myself to get annoyed by something that should be providing enjoyment.

I think that while my 1/60 is still safe and unbroken I'll pack it up and dump it in the For Sale forum and hope something better comes along.

In the meantime, perhaps Japan based retailers such as Overdrive or HLJ can order some replacement right shoulder hinges from Yamato.

Thats the thing though, none of us know how to install the part in question. To make things easier you'd have to remove the entire hinge assembly, so that you have more room to hammer in the pin. However none of us have figured out how to remove the assembly.

Now that I've had the 1S for a few weeks I have to say the shoulder issue kind of spoils the toy overall for me. Mine hasn't broken, but what bothers me even more than the potential for breakage is just the fact that the shoulders simply hang there without pegging into or resting on anything. It's a big sore on an otherwise perfect toy.

Same here man! As much as Yamato improves, something always stops them short of greatness. It's like "hey look at this new articulation, awesome! Wait a minute.....damn...having to brace these things each time just to prevent potential breakages is a chore....". I can definitely see why that damn hinge dampers enjoyment of the toy.

It's almost as if they couldn't figure out how to secure the shoulder pieces (why not use the 1/48 method?) so they just gave up and hoped nobody would mind.

I think what they were aiming for was more sideways articulation, which it definitely has, but forgot that it might be a very fragile piece that can break if not supported. The 1/48 shoulder hinge is far more durable but lacks the sideways articulation, it just remains secured in place.

In Battroid mode it's typically the arms that get posed more than anything, so the fact that they are so worrisome and unsecure actually makes me avoid the toy.

For me, it doesn't make me avoid it, but it makes me a lot more cautious when handling it, which sucks because its such a solid toy that begs to be played with;except for that god damn hinge

what bothers me...is just the fact that the shoulders simply hang there without pegging into or resting on anything. It's a big sore on an otherwise perfect toy.

Yep! The sad part is, they already figured this out on the 1/48. It would be great if they locked, and people who wanted to do extreme poses could just not lock them. I wonder if it would be too hard for Yamato to add a lock to the design.

Yamato and their stupid shoulders.

Now that I've had the 1S for a few weeks I have to say the shoulder issue kind of spoils the toy overall for me. Mine hasn't broken, but what bothers me even more than the potential for breakage is just the fact that the shoulders simply hang there without pegging into or resting on anything. It's a big sore on an otherwise perfect toy. It's almost as if they couldn't figure out how to secure the shoulder pieces (why not use the 1/48 method?) so they just gave up and hoped nobody would mind. In Battroid mode it's typically the arms that get posed more than anything, so the fact that they are so worrisome and unsecure actually makes me avoid the toy. It sits there saying "Come on, play with me!!" and I reach for it...and then just sort of withdraw my hand with a wince and decide I'll just enjoy it looking pretty on the shelf rather than allow myself to get annoyed by something that should be providing enjoyment.

I think that while my 1/60 is still safe and unbroken I'll pack it up and dump it in the For Sale forum and hope something better comes along.

totally agree with you...

now my valk is just like a completed model with no 'playability' ... :(

I think you guys may be over-reacting just a tad... I have a ton of fun posing mine and the design of the shoulders makes them even more poseable than they would if they locked into place (although I do agree, it would be extra sweet if they had a lock that you could unlock for an extended range of motion).

Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? tongue.gif

I've been saying that too. When I first saw pictures of other sgetting theirs and I didn't have the right amount (short like 80 bucks) to get mine I freaked. Talked to Carlos who was running the show and he got back to me 2 days later and told me not to worry.

You can accept the shoulder design all you want, but I just don't like it. The feeling of the arms not being locked in place and flapping on a fragile hinge completely negates the extra range of movement for me. When I move the arms I don't think, "Wow, what a wonderful range of articulation!" I think, "Huh, it feels like it's not fully transformed but I guess it is."